PDA

View Full Version : Renaissance Europe - too political?

Boci
2010-02-18, 10:42 AM
I was planning on having a country in my D&D setting based off Renaissance Europe: ravaged by a civil war for the past 30 years its emerges in a shaky peace. Its economy has been bled dry by the conflict, but its military equipment and soldiers are years ahead of any other nation. Desperate to gain wealth they are willing to use military force to give their efforts at trading a starting boost. Can I discuss how to handle the mechanics of such a nation’s military for such a game? Specifically, their attitude to the “New World” and other civilizations.

P.S. I know there is never a single theory about history, and some will no doubt think that what I described does not do Renaissance Europe justice. Please do not debate that point. Historically accurate or not, this is what I am basing the nation on.

Solaris
2010-02-18, 10:47 AM
I'd say getting it involved with the New World and the implications of colonialism would meander into topics too political for this board.

Roland St. Jude
2010-02-18, 11:37 AM
More data needed for analysis.

Are you talking about in a PbP game or in a discussion in Homebrew or Roleplaying? Do you mean that it's parallel (without actually being set in) Europe or that it actually takes place in Renaissance Europe?

If you're talking about the former, option in either question, that you have more leeway. If you're talking about the latter, you have far less.

This still remains the most direct answer to your question:

...I would suggest that if it's purely fictional and everyone knows it's purely fictional, it might be okay. But the second anyone starts talking about real world politics or religion (even historical and without regard to how long ago), that's going to get locked. As you'd expect, odds are such a thread is going to lead some people into a real life discussion/analogy and get them in trouble and the thread locked.

Also, I've said "might" twice above; it was intentional. Historical fiction presents a particularly difficult area because some parts of it are unavoidably based on real world events, and when those events are political or religious...well, you know.

As previously noted here in Board Issues, we acknowledge that such a rule makes it difficult or impossible to discuss historical fiction, alternative histories, etc. here. It's a policy decision made long ago at the highest level to make the bar on real world religion and politics a complete one - even to the extent it interferes with or prevents discussion relevant to gamers, comic-lovers, etc.

Bottom line, I suspect your proposed web comic would run into trouble here, yes.