PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Building my Unarmed Fighter(As in the Class)

Touchy
2010-02-18, 05:10 PM
The build in question (http://www.roguepenguin.com/castellar/profiler/view.php?id=4720)

Let's get down to business, I plan on building an unarmed fighter, taking Superior Unarmed Strike (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-2844-superior-unarmed-strike.html) When it finally out does the Monk's belt(First item I plan to get), I've got 5 feats(1 normal, 1 human, 2 flaws, and 1 Fighter bonus), I'm thinking of swapping out Two-Weapon Fighting for something else and going for a shield instead, the problem with this is I'm not getting as many attacks as I would, but with the Two-Weapon Fighting I would lose some of my BAB. After I get that belt I'm saving for a mythril breastplate

And no, I'm not going monk, nor unarmed swordsage. My allowed list of books is here (http://ravenmarches.wikidot.com/character-creation), but I am free to request feats that the head DM(it's open world-y, so we got multiple DMs to due short quests and adventures) approves from outside of these sources.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve this, I'm open to dips if they seriously would benefit me in the long run(Again, no monk or unarmed swordsage).

Eldariel
2010-02-18, 05:15 PM
Well, just in case you're interested, my Unarmed Fighter 20 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=163711) I used to kill the Tarrasque in a challenge. Just...some of the ideas may come in handy. The order of feats was just thrown together, but if I were you, I'd try for early Shadow Blade + Weapon Finesse and Snap Kick + TWF-line with eventual Melee Weapon Mastery, Robilar's Gambit, etc.

Pick up as many size increases as you can. I suggest using the base SUS progression (it's fairly good; better than Monk's Belt-progression). And yeah, I suggest Dexterity-focus. Lots of ways you can go with the feats. Pick one. Oh, and either Barbarian-dip or Shape Soulmeld: Sphinx Claws + Open Least Chakra to get Pounce. You need Pounce.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-18, 05:16 PM
I'm thinking of swapping out Two-Weapon Fighting for something else and going for a shield instead, the problem with this is I'm not getting as many attacks as I would, but with the Two-Weapon Fighting I would lose some of my BAB. After I get that belt I'm saving for a mythril breastplate

What You say? Someone set us up the bomb?
But seriously, TWFing only lowers your to hit, not your BAB.

Do you have snap kick?

Draz74
2010-02-18, 05:18 PM
Yeah, Snap Kick is an obvious must-have.

After that, you're running out of good feats to enhance unarmed strikes. You'll have to decide what else this character wants to do.

Touchy
2010-02-18, 05:18 PM
What You say? Someone set us up the bomb?
But seriously, TWFing only lowers your to hit, not your BAB.

Do you have snap kick?

I posted the build, but let me check.

Also sorry on the bab/to hit thing, I mean't to hit.

Yeah, Snap Kick is an obvious must-have.

After that, you're running out of good feats to enhance unarmed strikes. You'll have to decide what else this character wants to do.

I'll get it when I have the BaB for it.

Soranar
2010-02-18, 06:27 PM
So a 32 pts buy, with 2 flaws. Going unarmed without monk or unarmed swordsage levels.

Alright here goes

Race: Earth Dwarf (SRD)
Alignment: any chaotic

Template: Dragonborn of Bahamut (Races of the Dragon), I recommend the flight version

STATS (32 pts buy)

STR 18
DEX 4
CON 20
INT 16
WIS 8
CHA 6

1 Barbarian Hammer Fist, Great Fortitude, Improved Unarmed Strike Fast movement
2 Barbarian Uncanny dodge
3 Barbarian Power Attack
4 Barbarian
5 Barbarian Improved uncanny dodge
6 Fist of the Forest Endurance
7 Deepwarden
8 Deepwarden

Hammer Fist: 1.5 times your Str to damage , dwarf only (races of Faerun), can't be flurried, both hands must be empty

The other feats are requirements to meet for Fist of the Forest and Deepwarden

Deepwarden+ Fist makes your Con apply to AC twice (1 replaces Dex , the other is an unarmored bonus)

Raging pumps all of your important stats (Con and Str) and you can take insightful reflexes (Int to Reflex saves) and Steadfast determination (Con to will saves) to fix your low saves somewhat.

Leaves you a lot of money for magic items (no armor, no weapons)

Touchy
2010-02-18, 06:51 PM
Should of checked the list of things I am allowed to use.

And I know for a fact that ANYTHING FROM RACES OF THE DRAGON will never be allowed, the head DM hates it with a passion.

Besides, I'm not trying to be cheesy, I'm trying to have a standard level of optimization.

lsfreak
2010-02-18, 07:33 PM

And I know for a fact that ANYTHING FROM RACES OF THE DRAGON will never be allowed, the head DM hates it with a passion.

Besides, I'm not trying to be cheesy, I'm trying to have a standard level of optimization.

None of that is cheesy. Probably below normal optimization levels, since you're wanting unarmed without going swordsage. Well, I suppose fist of the forest combined with deepwarden is probably questionable if you place a lot of weight on fluff, without ever refluffing anything, but it's fine power-wise.

Soranar
2010-02-18, 07:52 PM

Humm I was using your restrictions. I didn't notice the races of Dragon restriction, doesn't change much you just don't take the template.

Everything else in is one of your sources.

You say optimize, I optimize, a raging unarmed build is hardly optimized. You can't enchant fists for one thing, so you have to bypass DR by making a lot of damage. Without fist of the forest you just can't get magic fists (unless you go Vow of Poverty but thats not allowed in your sources). And taking Kensai would be a terrible choice. That left using fist of the forest which usually makes deepwarden a good idea.

You'll find people in these boards are pretty good at optimizing, even with restricted material, if you don't want to play an optimized build just mess it up.

Now I see the origin of your forum name.

Touchy
2010-02-18, 08:22 PM
Humm I was using your restrictions. I didn't notice the races of Dragon restriction, doesn't change much you just don't take the template.

Everything else in is one of your sources.

You say optimize, I optimize, a raging unarmed build is hardly optimized. You can't enchant fists for one thing, so you have to bypass DR by making a lot of damage. Without fist of the forest you just can't get magic fists (unless you go Vow of Poverty but thats not allowed in your sources). And taking Kensai would be a terrible choice. That left using fist of the forest which usually makes deepwarden a good idea.

You'll find people in these boards are pretty good at optimizing, even with restricted material, if you don't want to play an optimized build just mess it up.

Now I see the origin of your forum name.
Your right, thanks for showing me that I was coming off as a jerk, I guess I'm asking from the wrong angle and/or being to demanding(Touchy came from another source FYI though, now that I think about it I am pretty touche).
How about I post all my fellow PCs builds and you(read: everyone who's reading this thread and cares to post or wants to read anyways) can skim through it if you wish. I really just want to keep up, I don't want to be better, I kind of just want to be useful. I've only played a few games of 3.5, so half the time I'm taking dumb luck with the feats(The other half is where my 4e experience kicks in), And I'm generally going by what obviously looks the best for stats.