PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 - Crusader? Warblade?

PurinaDragonCho
2010-02-18, 05:36 PM
First off, I know this question is a choice between several less-than-optimal alternatives.

I've been playing an Archivist with a 1 level dip in rogue and the Able Learner feat, and filling the roles of healer, skill-monkey, buffer, and even batman, depending on what other players show up to game on a given week. I enjoy versatility over being uber-awesome at a single thing.

So, the campaign is about over. I just hit level 21. I'm considering my options, and I'd really like to get martial weapon and shield proficiency, because, in a pinch, I'd like to be able to cast Time Stop, buff the cr@p out of myself, and tank. So, I was thinking that the return on investment is probably better for a one level dip in Crusader or Warblade, rather than some other martial class, since I'd be effectively and 11th level initiator. Since the campaign is almost over, this is sort of a mental exercise, since the character will probably only have a couple of more combats before he gets retired, and those will be mostly clean-up, since the BBEG is already destroyed.

Since I've never played a ToB character, I'm looking for advice.

If it matters... human, chaotic good, high int and dex, some cha. Pretty much any WotC books allowed.

Thanks.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-18, 05:44 PM
The problem with having a high initiator level before taking a martial adept class is that it's going to be difficult to find high-level maneuvers that you qualify for without taking lower-level ones as prerequisites. If you focused on one discipline, you might be able to get a 5th level maneuver, maybe.

That said, the Stone Dragon discipline has many solid maneuvers that have no prerequisites, so you might be able to do well there. You'll probably be restricted to 1st or 3rd level stances, though, no matter what you do.

AslanCross
2010-02-18, 05:47 PM
Since you're an Archivist, I'm assuming you have high Int. Better to pick Warblade in this case, since at least you have some synergy. Since you're getting a few maneuvers, might as well get to use them more often using Warblade's easy recovery method.

Draz74
2010-02-18, 06:31 PM
Your Concentration check is probably huge, which is a good argument in favor of picking Warblade and picking up three Diamond Mind maneuvers. Mind Over Body, Emerald Razor, and Greater Insightful Strike for example.