PDA

View Full Version : Assistence Requested - Responses to Survey Needed

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-18, 06:22 PM
Hello, fellow playgrounders. For a biology lab of mine, I need to collect answers to a list of questions (to follow), and I thought "who better to ask than the awesomely helpful people at the playground?" If you're a kind person and would like to help, please respond with True or False to the following statements. However, the only things I ask are that nobody who is currently studying or who has recently finished studying biology respond, and that nobody look up the answers; the point of this survey is mostly to see how many people know these things.

I thank you if you help, and if you don't, I thank you for reading this message anyway. :smallsmile:

Questions
1. Certain acquired characteristics, such as mechanical or mathematical skill, may be inherited.

2. Identical twins are always of the same sex.

3. Fraternal twins are more closely related to each other than to other children in the family.

4. The father determines the sex of the child.

5. Each parent contributes half of a child's genetic makeup.

6. Certain thoughts or experiences of a mother may mark or alter the hereditary makeup of an unborn child.

7. Color blindness is more common in males than in females.

8. A person may transmit characteristics to offspring which he or she does not show.

9. Certain hereditary characteristics are influenced by the blood.

10. Identical twins are more closely related than fraternal twins.

11. Certain inherited traits may be altered by the stars, moon, or planets early in development.

12. Males are biologically stronger than females.

13. The tendency to produce twins may run in families.

14. A craving for food such as strawberries may cause a birthmark on an unborn child.

15. Many of a person's inherited traits are not apparent.

16. The parent with the stronger will contributes more to a child's inheritance than the other parent.

17. If a person loses a limb in an accident, it is likely that he or she will have a child with a missing limb.

18. The attitude of parents toward each other influences the emotional makeup of an unborn child.

19. Children born to older parents usually lack the virility of those born to younger parents.

20. The total number of male births exceeds female births each year.

Thank you again again! :smallsmile:

Emperor Ing
2010-02-18, 06:35 PM
1. F
2. T
3. F
4. F
5. T
6. F
7. T
8. T
9. T
10. T
11. F
12. ?
13. F
14. F
15. F
16. F
17. F
18. F
19. ?
20. F

These are what I believed the answers to be, i'm 85% sure they're right.

wxdruid
2010-02-18, 06:35 PM
My answers

1. Certain acquired characteristics, such as mechanical or mathematical skill, may be inherited. True

2. Identical twins are always of the same sex. True

3. Fraternal twins are more closely related to each other than to other children in the family. False

4. The father determines the sex of the child. True

5. Each parent contributes half of a child's genetic makeup. True

6. Certain thoughts or experiences of a mother may mark or alter the hereditary makeup of an unborn child. False

7. Color blindness is more common in males than in females. False

8. A person may transmit characteristics to offspring which he or she does not show. True

9. Certain hereditary characteristics are influenced by the blood. False

10. Identical twins are more closely related than fraternal twins. True

11. Certain inherited traits may be altered by the stars, moon, or planets early in development. False

12. Males are biologically stronger than females. True

13. The tendency to produce twins may run in families. True

14. A craving for food such as strawberries may cause a birthmark on an unborn child. False

15. Many of a person's inherited traits are not apparent. True

16. The parent with the stronger will contributes more to a child's inheritance than the other parent.

17. If a person loses a limb in an accident, it is likely that he or she will have a child with a missing limb. False

18. The attitude of parents toward each other influences the emotional makeup of an unborn child. False

19. Children born to older parents usually lack the virility of those born to younger parents. False

20. The total number of male births exceeds female births each year. False

blackfox
2010-02-18, 06:37 PM
1. T
2. T
3. T
4. T
5. T
6. F
7. T
8. T
9. F
10. T
11. F
12. F
13. T
14. F
15. T
16. F
17. F
18. F
19. F
20. F

Marillion
2010-02-18, 06:38 PM
1. Certain acquired characteristics, such as mechanical or mathematical skill, may be inherited. FALSE

2. Identical twins are always of the same sex. TRUE

3. Fraternal twins are more closely related to each other than to other children in the family. FALSE

4. The father determines the sex of the child. TRUE

5. Each parent contributes half of a child's genetic makeup. TRUE

6. Certain thoughts or experiences of a mother may mark or alter the hereditary makeup of an unborn child. FALSE

7. Color blindness is more common in males than in females. TRUE

8. A person may transmit characteristics to offspring which he or she does not show. TRUE

9. Certain hereditary characteristics are influenced by the blood. TRUE

10. Identical twins are more closely related than fraternal twins. TRUE

11. Certain inherited traits may be altered by the stars, moon, or planets early in development. FALSE

12. Males are biologically stronger than females. TRUE

13. The tendency to produce twins may run in families. TRUE

14. A craving for food such as strawberries may cause a birthmark on an unborn child. FALSE

15. Many of a person's inherited traits are not apparent. TRUE

16. The parent with the stronger will contributes more to a child's inheritance than the other parent. FALSE

17. If a person loses a limb in an accident, it is likely that he or she will have a child with a missing limb. FALSE

18. The attitude of parents toward each other influences the emotional makeup of an unborn child. FALSE

19. Children born to older parents usually lack the virility of those born to younger parents. FALSE

20. The total number of male births exceeds female births each year. TRUE

Raistlin1040
2010-02-18, 06:40 PM
1. Certain acquired characteristics, such as mechanical or mathematical skill, may be inherited. False

3. Fraternal twins are more closely related to each other than to other children in the family. False

6. Certain thoughts or experiences of a mother may mark or alter the hereditary makeup of an unborn child. False

7. Color blindness is more common in males than in females. True

8. A person may transmit characteristics to offspring which he or she does not show. True

11. Certain inherited traits may be altered by the stars, moon, or planets early in development. False

14. A craving for food such as strawberries may cause a birthmark on an unborn child. False

16. The parent with the stronger will contributes more to a child's inheritance than the other parent. False

17. If a person loses a limb in an accident, it is likely that he or she will have a child with a missing limb. False

18. The attitude of parents toward each other influences the emotional makeup of an unborn child. False

19. Children born to older parents usually lack the virility of those born to younger parents. False

snoopy13a
2010-02-18, 06:45 PM
1. Certain acquired characteristics, such as mechanical or mathematical skill, may be inherited.

Yes, with qualitifactions. Like most things, it is a combination of nature and nurture.

Yes

3. Fraternal twins are more closely related to each other than to other children in the family.

Assuming all the children have the same parents, yes. Fraternal twins share 50% of genetic materials. Full siblings share 50% of genetic material.

Did you know that Fraternal twins can have different fathers?

Yes

Yes and No. Mitochondrian DNA comes soley from the mother. Other than this minor exception, yes. Unless you want to get really, really picky and say that in male children, the X chromosome has more genetic material than the Y.

6. Certain thoughts or experiences of a mother may mark or alter the hereditary makeup of an unborn child.

No, genes are locked in. However, a mutation in the process of forming an egg cell due to some environmental factor (experience) can alter genetics of a future child

Yes, color blindness is a recessive sex-linked trait. Males only need one copy as they only have one X chromosome. Females need two color blindness genes. Females with one are called carriers.

8. A person may transmit characteristics to offspring which he or she does not show.

No, genes passed down can be recessive.

What do you mean here?
I know you can run into problems with Rh factors and fetuses and genes code for blood groups but I'm not sure what you are driving at here

Yes. 100% genetics vs. 50% genetic

11. Certain inherited traits may be altered by the stars, moon, or planets early in development.

No

Hmm, what you mean by this? Females tend to be healthier but males tend to be physically stronger.

I think so, not sure

14. A craving for food such as strawberries may cause a birthmark on an unborn child.

I believe birthmarks are from bruising during delivery

Yes

No

17. If a person loses a limb in an accident, it is likely that he or she will have a child with a missing limb.

Yes, if your name is Lamarck. (actually No)

18. The attitude of parents toward each other influences the emotional makeup of an unborn child.

No

19. Children born to older parents usually lack the virility of those born to younger parents.

No, although they are more prone to disorders such as Down Syndrome which are caused by chromosomal problems

I believe slightly so in nature and even more when you consider countries such as China and India where female fetuses are aborted at a higher rate

Scoot
2010-02-18, 06:48 PM
1. Certain acquired characteristics, such as mechanical or mathematical skill, may be inherited. False

12. Males are biologically stronger than females. False

13. The tendency to produce twins may run in families. False

16. The parent with the stronger will contributes more to a child's inheritance than the other parent. False

I remember doing nearly the exact same survey Freshman year, and then again this year when my brother took the class.

And yet I remember nothing.

Raiki
2010-02-18, 06:49 PM
Well, I'm probably setting myself up for embarassment here, because science (specifically biology) is not my forte, but someone has to bring the average back towards the bell curve considering all the super geniuses here itp, so I'll volunteer.

1. Certain acquired characteristics, such as mechanical or mathematical skill, may be inherited. I could be wrong, but I'm going withFalse.

True

False (Though...if the other children have other fathers...well, I'm assuming not.)

True

True

False? Crap I hope so, my mother had an...interesting life.

True I think.

True

Not entirely sure if you meant "bloodline" or "circulatory fluid" here, but I'm going to assume "bloodline" and say True.

True. Though this could be argued either way depending on your definition of "related".

False But I still read my horoscope every day. Just you try to stop me!

False I know women who would tear my head off bare-handed if I answered any other way.

True

False

True

False, but funny.

False, and even funnier than the last one!

I want to say true, as a psych major...but I have to go with False. I'm probably wrong.

False. Physically. Mentally? I could win that argument.

False.

Well, there you go. If the snarky comments detract from the spirit/intention of the excercise, just PM me and I'll gladly edit them out. Good luck with your project!

OverdrivePrime
2010-02-18, 07:04 PM
Questions
1. Certain acquired characteristics, such as mechanical or mathematical skill, may be inherited. False. Aptitude, yes, actual skill, no.

2. Identical twins are always of the same sex. True.

3. Fraternal twins are more closely related to each other than to other children in the family. False.

4. The father determines the sex of the child. True.

5. Each parent contributes half of a child's genetic makeup. True?

6. Certain thoughts or experiences of a mother may mark or alter the hereditary makeup of an unborn child. False - not hereditary traits, as I understand them anyway.

7. Color blindness is more common in males than in females. True.

8. A person may transmit characteristics to offspring which he or she does not show. True.

9. Certain hereditary characteristics are influenced by the blood. I don't think I understand the question. Whose blood? But I'm gonna say False.

10. Identical twins are more closely related than fraternal twins. True.

11. Certain inherited traits may be altered by the stars, moon, or planets early in development. False!

12. Males are biologically stronger than females. In humans this is usually true - human males generally have more muscle mass than females, though there are plenty of exceptions. In other species of mammals, this is not always the case.

13. The tendency to produce twins may run in families. True.

14. A craving for food such as strawberries may cause a birthmark on an unborn child. O__o That sounds like medieval witchcraft or something. False!

15. Many of a person's inherited traits are not apparent. True. Most, I'd say.

16. The parent with the stronger will contributes more to a child's inheritance than the other parent. False! Real life does not follow World of Darkness rules.

17. If a person loses a limb in an accident, it is likely that he or she will have a child with a missing limb. Again, O__o!!! False! Are there people that believe this?

18. The attitude of parents toward each other influences the emotional makeup of an unborn child. This is tricky, I'm going to say True, though I can't imagine that this has been conclusively proven anywhere.

19. Children born to older parents usually lack the virility of those born to younger parents. Flase. I'm virile as all get-out! :smallcool:

20. The total number of male births exceeds female births each year. False.

Thank you again again! :smallsmile: No Problem! Happy to help!:smallsmile:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-18, 07:10 PM
True

True

False

True

True

False

True

True

True

True

False

True

True

False

True

False

False

False

False

False

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-18, 07:14 PM

What do you mean here?
I know you can run into problems with Rh factors and fetuses and genes code for blood groups but I'm not sure what you are driving at here

Hmm, what you mean by this? Females tend to be healthier but males tend to be physically stronger.

Sorry, snoopy (and anybody else who expressed confusion at a question) but I don't know what they're asking either. I just put what the survey is asking.

Thank you to everybody who answered. I've gotten the number of responses I needed, but I guess there's nothing keeping you all from answering still, and anybody who wants to discussing the answers.

A special thanks to snoopy for being specific. No, I did not know fraternal twins could have different fathers!

Also, I suppose if anybody wants me to give the answers (with my meager half a year of high school bio, so I won't know them all) I suppose I could embarrass myself.

arguskos
2010-02-18, 07:21 PM
Questions
True

True

False

True

True

False

True

True

False

False

False

False

True

False

True

False

False

False

False

False

EDIT: Ninja'd by the thread maker himself. Damn my slow internet!

KuReshtin
2010-02-18, 07:24 PM
Questions
1. Certain acquired characteristics, such as mechanical or mathematical skill, may be inherited. - True

2. Identical twins are always of the same sex. - True

3. Fraternal twins are more closely related to each other than to other children in the family. - True

4. The father determines the sex of the child. - True

5. Each parent contributes half of a child's genetic makeup. - True

6. Certain thoughts or experiences of a mother may mark or alter the hereditary makeup of an unborn child. - False

7. Color blindness is more common in males than in females. - True

8. A person may transmit characteristics to offspring which he or she does not show. - True

9. Certain hereditary characteristics are influenced by the blood. - True

10. Identical twins are more closely related than fraternal twins. - True

11. Certain inherited traits may be altered by the stars, moon, or planets early in development. - False

12. Males are biologically stronger than females. - True

13. The tendency to produce twins may run in families. - True

14. A craving for food such as strawberries may cause a birthmark on an unborn child. - False (?)

15. Many of a person's inherited traits are not apparent. - True

16. The parent with the stronger will contributes more to a child's inheritance than the other parent. - False

17. If a person loses a limb in an accident, it is likely that he or she will have a child with a missing limb. - False

18. The attitude of parents toward each other influences the emotional makeup of an unborn child. - True

19. Children born to older parents usually lack the virility of those born to younger parents. - False

20. The total number of male births exceeds female births each year. - True

Thank you again again! :smallsmile: - You're welcome

I'm not sure of a few of those, but I gave it a shot, at least.

Toastkart
2010-02-18, 07:32 PM
responses
false
false
true
true
true
true
true
true
true
true
false
true on average
true
false
true
false
false
false
false
false

Some are a little unclear about what they're asking for. Others might be true on average, but not in all cases.

GoC
2010-02-18, 07:46 PM
My intuition:
1. False.
2. True.
3. False.
4. True.
5. True.
6. True only for physical experiences (chemicals, blunt force trauma, ect.).
7. True.
8. True.
9. Cannot understand this statement. Is type-O blood a hereditary characteristic that is "influenced by the blood" (or does that mean "influenced by genes?")?
10. True.
11. True for Earth and Sol (ie. if there's no Earth or Sol then there are no characteristics:smallamused::smalltongue:). iow: False.
12. True.
13. True.
14. False.
15. True. (isn't this just 8 again?)
16. LMAO! True. Though if you meant genetic inheritance then false.:smallamused:
17. False.
18. True.
19. False.
20. True.

A few of these are guesses and some are coin tosses (7, 18 and 20). I presume that is what you wanted though...?

hap_hazard
2010-02-18, 08:41 PM

9. Certain hereditary characteristics are influenced by the blood. True

20. The total number of male births exceeds female births each year. True

Pocketa
2010-02-18, 09:28 PM

Lamarkian FALSE.

True.

False.

True. Not on purpose though.

False. Except what about drinking and stuff?

False.

True.

False.

Barely true.

False.

True.

True?

False.

True.

Hahahaha, false.

False

False

False.

False.

EDIT: I took Bio 2 years ago, and I did know some of this stuff beforehand...

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-18, 09:28 PM
Questions
1. Certain acquired characteristics, such as mechanical or mathematical skill, may be inherited. FALSE

2. Identical twins are always of the same sex. FALSE

3. Fraternal twins are more closely related to each other than to other children in the family. FALSE

4. The father determines the sex of the child. FALSE

6. Certain thoughts or experiences of a mother may mark or alter the hereditary makeup of an unborn child. TRUE

8. A person may transmit characteristics to offspring which he or she does not show. TRUE

11. Certain inherited traits may be altered by the stars, moon, or planets early in development. FALSE

12. Males are biologically stronger than females. TRUE :smalltongue:

14. A craving for food such as strawberries may cause a birthmark on an unborn child. Uh... Faaaaaa- TRUE

16. The parent with the stronger will contributes more to a child's inheritance than the other parent. FALSE

17. If a person loses a limb in an accident, it is likely that he or she will have a child with a missing limb. FALSE :smalleek:

18. The attitude of parents toward each other influences the emotional makeup of an unborn child. FALSE

19. Children born to older parents usually lack the virility of those born to younger parents. FALSE

20. The total number of male births exceeds female births each year. FALSE

This is with a 7th grade education.

Pocketa
2010-02-18, 09:30 PM
Questions

2. Identical twins are always of the same sex. FALSE

4. The father determines the sex of the child. FALSE

6. Certain thoughts or experiences of a mother may mark or alter the hereditary makeup of an unborn child. TRUE

12. Males are biologically stronger than females. TRUE :smalltongue:

14. A craving for food such as strawberries may cause a birthmark on an unborn child. Uh... Faaaaaa- TRUE

17. If a person loses a limb in an accident, it is likely that he or she will have a child with a missing limb. FALSE :smalleek:

20. The total number of male births exceeds female births each year. FALSE

This is with a 7th grade education.

That means that you're at oldest, 13. You signed up 2 years ago.

Underage user much?

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-18, 09:31 PM
Is there an age limit?

Helanna
2010-02-18, 11:16 PM
Hmmm . . . let's see how I can do.

Fase.

True.

False.

True.

True.

False.

True.

True.

True . . . I think? This question confused me a bit.

True.

False.

True.

True.

False.

True.

False.

False.

False.

False.

False.

Well, I'm not really sure how I did . . . some were pretty obvious, but I had to guess on a bunch, so . . . I'll be interested in knowing the results of this.

JoshuaZ
2010-02-18, 11:41 PM
Some of these questions depend on how exactly you define the terms. I'm therefore going to give my answers and my reasoning in those I feel need some degree of justification or clarification about how I am interpreting the questions.

A: Complicated. The short answer is "true". But the truth is we don't have a very good understanding of how much of this is nature and how much is nurture so what one means by "mechanical or mathematical skill" is a problem. For physical (which is what I presume is meant by mechanical) abilities this is more clear cut. Thus for example, there are alleles which specifically are known to result in higher amounts of red blood cells, so people are better runners.

A: Short answer is "true" but you can probably do silly things in animals like take a pair of twins that are XY and then do something that suppresses activity of the SRY gene and thus have one of the twins be functionally female. We have the technology to suppress individual genes like this in mice. I doubt anyone has done so. So I'm going to go with "true".

A: I suspect the answer being looked for is "false". But this doesn't make a good definition of what one means by related. If one means "genetically related" then this is roughly true. However, fraternal twins are more likely to be related to each in the sense that they will share environments and upbringing. But this is a strained meaning of related. I'm pretty sure you mean genetically.

A: True in humans. Sort of. In many species females can alter the ratio of male to females in births and there's some evidence that humans may have some limited unconscious changes in gender ratios based on resource availability and other factors. But it is the sperm, which come from the father, which determine the sex of a child.

Note that this becomes very false if one isn't talking about mammals. Birds are the obvious example.

A. I'm pretty sure the desired answer is true. But this is really false since females contribute mitochondrial DNA also which in general males do not.

False.

True.

True.

I'm not sure what this means. This is likely false as intended. However, children can have antibodies from their mothers. Moreover, chimaerosm can cause humans to have a lot of cells that are from the mother more directly. T

True.

False.

Define "biologically stronger". In humans, given the same environment will males be stronger on average? Yes. Is this partially genetic? Yes. Does it mean they are "biologically stronger"? Males are not more fit in the technical selective sense certainly (it depends on the circumstances which sex is more fit. In largely monogamous cultures neither has a serious advantage. There are other complications).

True although there are studies that conflict on this issue. (Note: I'm pretty sure a lot of highschool textbooks and teachers will say this is false. If necessary I will give citations to relevant papers).

False as intended.

True under the presumption that this means heritable traits, or genotypical data or something like that. If so, true.

Does this mean genotype for inheritance? Inheritance is not the same thing as genotype. Not the same thing. Religion for example is a highly inherited trait in the most general sense of the word but religion is not genetic. If this means biological traits that one can pass down to one's own offspring, this is true.

False.

I'm going with false. I have no idea how one would actually test it but it wouldn't surprise me that much if it turned out that a high stress environment for the mother could influence the long-term health of the mother. I'm not sure how to ethically test this in humans. So in so far that if the mother was in an abusive relationship this could potentially have an impact one could argue for true. But still going with false.

False.

True.

What grade are these questions for?

Edit: Also what does "study biology" mean in this context? I mean, I've got some background but not that much so...

Vaynor
2010-02-18, 11:50 PM
Err, I took Biology AP in high school last year, not sure if that excludes me from this, but I'll answer regardless.

False.

False.

False.

True.

True.

False.

True.

True.

I'm a bit unclear on this question, but from what I understand I'm going to say "False".

True.

False.

False.

True.

False.

True.

False.

False.

False.

False.

False.

Je dit Viola
2010-02-19, 12:00 AM
Cool! A question list!

I haven't taken Biology since forever ago, and my mind is really too busy thinking about the classes I'm taking now, so I'm just going to take this test to see how well I do.
TRUE! Even look at...my friend who was adopted.
Of course. If not, then they wouldn't be identical.
Faux, they're as closely related to each other as they are to their other bros and sis, DNA-wise.
Well, probably not intentionally, but it is his genes that do so.
Yes, they do. Both of them.
Yup - like using drugs. That counts as an experience. Or depression.
Yes, certain kinds are, because it's transmitted on the X chromo, and it's recessive.
Yes, it's called 'Recessive Trait'. Also the reason why half-pink dragons breathe fire.
Like AB and A and B and O? Sure. I don't remember this, so it's as likely as a drunken lizard.
Yes, if by 'related' you mean 'have pretty much (minus mutations) the same DNDA'
No, probably not. Not that I know of.
Yes, ever since I got Genderbent, my testosterone levels shot up and muscle-mass did too.
Yes, there's some genetic mutations that make it more likely (even if only by a small percent)
No, the craving's because you're deficient in nutritions.
True. Like my blood type. (B+. My brother's are O-)
No, they don't. Unless, by 'stronger Will' you mean 'Estate Planing' or 'has a job to leave inheritance in the first place'
No, that's false. Really false. And sad, too. :smallfrown:
When they get born, yes. Also, yes, because even though they're not quite born yet (but are developed enough) they can feel the sorrow of the mother, or the endorphins, or gets birth defects from the father's anger.
False, but they're more likely to have autism. Almost as likely as teenage mothers having autistic children.
False, I think. Mostly, because males are more likely to be stillborn.
Thank you again for making this test! :smallsmile:

So, how did I do? Did I pass? (I'm only 18, if that will help boost my score somehow)

Tequila Sunrise
2010-02-19, 12:02 AM
T, emphasis on may.

F

I'm assuming you mean 'genetically similar' by 'related.' F

F

T

T: I have a theory that environmental stress on a pregnant mother is a factor in a child's sexual orientation.

T. I'm one of those males. :smallfrown:

T

T

Ditto #3: T

F

T

No friggin' clue, so I guess F...50/50 baby!

F

T: More personal experience. Thank you diabetes and cystic fibrosis.

F

F: This is a joke right?

T

F

50/50 chance again; I guess F.

Arti3
2010-02-19, 12:11 AM
False. Acquired skills may not be inherited.
True. Cause, identical.
False. Just like any other chilluns, just came out at the same time.
True. The mother always contributes an X gene, it is up to the sperm to choose whether to donate a Y or an X.
True.
Not sure... would have to say true if I had to guess.
False, it's on the X gene, so females can get it from their mom or dad, but boys can only get it from their mother.
True.
I guess.
True.
False.
Depends on your gender :p
False, all probability
False.
True.
False. The will is not a scientific term.
Completely and utterly false. See #1
False.
False
not sure... false?

Sucrose
2010-02-19, 12:14 AM
Hello, fellow playgrounders. For a biology lab of mine, I need to collect answers to a list of questions (to follow), and I thought "who better to ask than the awesomely helpful people at the playground?" If you're a kind person and would like to help, please respond with True or False to the following statements. However, the only things I ask are that nobody who is currently studying or who has recently finished studying biology respond, and that nobody look up the answers; the point of this survey is mostly to see how many people know these things.

I thank you if you help, and if you don't, I thank you for reading this message anyway. :smallsmile:

Questions

Please disregard this if 'within the last two years' counts as 'recently finished.' I took an introductory-level biology class two years ago.

1. False
2. True
3. False
4. True (barring uncommmon cases where the Y chromosome failed to activate for the mother, who would otherwise be a man)
5. True (disregarding mutations)
6. False
7. True
8. True
9. True
10. True
11. False
12. True
13. True
14. True? (Honestly not sure about this one)
15. True
16. False (though they may well influence the environment they grow up in more, thereby having a greater effect on the phenotype...)
17. False
18. True (hormones in mommy's blood likely have an effect on Junior)
19. False
20. False

THAC0
2010-02-19, 12:24 AM
For fun, last time I took bio was... oh wow, a decade ago!
I take issue with the phrasing. Aptitude might be inherited, actual skills are not.

Correct.

Incorrect. In fact, situationally, they can even be less related to each other than to other children.

Correct.

Sure.

Thoughts? No. Experiences? Sure, based on things like "experiencing" heavy drinking blurring chromosomes resulting in FAS.

True.

True.

Wording is unclear, no answer.

True.

No.

If you are talking muscles, sure.

I believe fraternal twins can run in families on the maternal side.

No.

True.

No.

No.

Poorly worded. There's no way to determine the emotional makeup of a child before it is born.

No.

No.

Proven_Paradox
2010-02-19, 12:49 AM
I was pursuing a biology major at one point, but that ended when I took Zoology (h8 Zoology). It's been about three years since I've taken a biology class. Not sure whether or not that disqualifies me or not. I'm curious to know how I do though.

F (Though aptitude for learning later might be--not sure on that one, but that's not what you asked anyway.)

T

F (Presuming 'related' here means 'have more similar genetic makeups')

T

T

F
T

T

F

T

F

(Presuming in humans) On average, T, but not always.

F (Shot in the dark here, I don't actually know.)

F

T

F

F

F

F

T

golentan
2010-02-19, 12:58 AM
Questions

True

True

False

True (not consciously)

True (not counting mitochondrial DNA, or adjusted mass of X vs. Y chromosomes)

False

True

True

??? False ??? (not sure what the question is, but if it's what I think you're asking false)

True

False

False

True

False

True

False

False

True (possibly, depending on which studies of the effect of sound, particularly voices, and mother's hormone balance on infants you're looking at)

True (not sure, but I know a number of problems tend to plague late life births, so I'm going with my gut...)

True

Edit: I should specify I was a biology major, but have not worked in that field or taken any courses in the last 2 years. If this disqualifies me, I apologize.

jlvm4
2010-02-19, 11:35 AM
Answers in spoiler tag. Good luck

Questions
True

true

False

True

True (for all intents and purposes, though the Y chromosome is 'smaller')

Not clear enough question. If a mother experiences malnutrition, it most certainly effects the presentation of the genetic makeup of the child. Mom stressed out, not so conclusively proven or disproven. Going with true, assuming malnutrition is considered an 'experience'

True

True

Whose blood? Going with False based on vagueness.

True

False

true

true

False

False

False

False

Not conclusively tested. There is some evidence that hormones produced by the mother can effect certain aspects of baby development, but the question is still too vague. Going with False for that reason.

False

True

Half-Full
2010-02-19, 04:52 PM
Answers:
False.

True. (Since I'm not a native speaker, I may have missed what identical twins are. I work under the assumption that it's a single egg that split into two embryos.)

False. (I assume it's when two eggs are simultaneously fertilised.)

True.

True.

False.

True.

True.

True.

True.

False.

True.

False.

False.

False.

False.

False.

False.

False.

False.

I don't know how correct I am, but I'm fairly certain that more than is correct :smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-19, 05:40 PM
Got a what'dya call it, a C on mah high school diploma last year, but I guess that don't count.

True.
False.
False.
False.
True.(Roughly 50/50)
True.
False.
True.
True if you're talking about certain diseases and such. Vaguely remember the + and - in blood types having to do with unborn/young babies and their mommas and something being wrong. Otherwise, false.
True.
False.
True, most of the time.
True(maternal line, I suppose)
False.
False.(Depends on what you classify as apparent)
False.(Also if you'd look at this question and question 5, this question'd make question 5 a false for sure.)
False.
True.
False.
False.

Mythestopheles
2010-02-19, 05:58 PM
I was well... not paying very much attention last year. (It was science 10 though not real bio)

T

F

F

T

F

F

F

T

T

F

T

F

F

F

T

F

F

F

F

F

Felixaar
2010-02-19, 07:30 PM
Just took a stab at most of these. Resisiting the urge to go on a "Changing face of Science" rant.

1. F

2. F

3. T

4. T

5. T

6. T

7. F

8. T

9. T

10. T

11. F

12. T

13. T

14. F

15. T

16. F

17. F

18. T

19. F

20. F

AtomicKitKat
2010-02-19, 08:28 PM
I didn't read any of the other posts before typing all my responses.

1. True. Kind of. If you inherit proprioceptive ability, you may have a greater aptitude for mechanics, and thus might be more inclined to show an interest/participate in such).

2. True. Although, I do wonder, if the father's X is mostly "useless"(ie, the mother's traits are all more dominant than his), if the events in 10, where the mother's egg divides pre-impregnation, whether the fraternals would have a much higher level of overlap than normal(as high as everything except that which differentiates males and females?).

3. Mostly False. Although, see 10.

4. True. X and Y.

5. False. If one parent had more dominant traits than the other, the child will favour that parent more.

6. True-ish. By experiences, we're talking diseases(rubella?), chemicals and other ingested things that could alter the unborn child, right?

7. True. See 12.

8. True. If it involves the internal organs, most definitely.

9. False. Did you mean "Blood Type"? A, B, AB, and O are weird, in that an AB parent with an A parent produces B, and produces As with a B parent. So it's not really that inheritable.

10. True. Identicals are "clones". Fraternals are siblings who just happen to share a birthday. 100% DNA match, vs 50%(75%?). Unless your dad just happened to have 2 sperm with the exact same genetic makeup in the same load, and your mum's egg was one of those "I divide on my way out" types that sometimes occur(which is how some fraternals could end up with 75% overlap).

11. False. It could be influenced by the seasons, in so far as food availability, and long/short/hot/cold days affect the mother.

12. False. Due to the idiocy of only having a single X chromosome(which non-nerd designed this system without a backup?):smallannoyed:

13. True. However, it's more accurate to say that if a mother has produced twins once, she is more likely to do so again in the future. Her sister may not necessarily have the same chance.

14. False. It does, however, sometimes give the child a similar craving.

15. True. However, "race", height, build-type(endo/ecto/mesomorph) and facial features are usually visible.

16. False. Unless greater will is a genetic thing, which happens to coincide with other dominant genetic traits.

17. False. However, if it's because the parent has problems with proprioception(the ability to sense where one's body parts are at), the child has a greater likelihood of inheriting the same inability, thereby having a greater than normal chance of losing a limb in their lifetime(not at birth though, unless the mother or midwife are incredibly bad at this).

18. Might be true. Adrenaline, cortisol and other hormones coursing through the pregnant mother will probably influence the child's future sensitivity to the same.

19. Mostly true. Generally, children born of older mothers have a greater chance of birth defects. However, recent studies have also concluded that the later one's first child is born, the older they will live to be(something about "fulfilling genetic prerogative of passing the DNA on"). Best compromise: 40 year old virgin man and Pretty Young Girl.:smalltongue:

20. True. Something about males being more vulnerable, and/or having a higher mortality rate throughout their lifetime.

CMOTDibbler
2010-02-19, 09:10 PM
Here you are.

1.F
2.F
3.T
4.F
5.T
6.F
7.T
8.T
9.T
10.F
11.F
12.F
13.T
14.F
15.T
16.F
17.F
18.F
19.F
20.T

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-02-19, 09:25 PM
1. F
2. T
3. F
4. T
5. T
6. F
7. T
8. T
9. ??? (Don't understand question)
10. T
11. F
12. T (often, but not always)
13. F
14. F
15. T
16. F
17. F
18. F
19. F
20. F

llamamushroom
2010-02-19, 09:58 PM
Here you go. But bear in mind - my parents are doctors, so I might know a little more than the average non-biology student.

False

True

False

True

False

True in the sense that taking drugs is an experience, and negative thought patterns can lead to stress, which can cause damage to the ovaries.

True

True

True, I think. I'm not sure what the question means.

True, unless you count them as the same person, instead of related people. For some twins I've known, the former applies. :smalleek:

False, excepting increased radiation causing mutation of the foetus.

False

True for fraternal twins, False for identical twins. Sorry, I've known a few.

False

True

False

False

False

False, but there can be other, non-fertility related, complications.

False

Quick question - did you mean to use the word "virility" in question 19?

Don Julio Anejo
2010-02-19, 10:01 PM
Hello, fellow playgrounders. For a biology lab of mine, I need to collect answers to a list of questions
I major in this stuff and plan on being a doctor so my answers may not be representative of the general population.

Answers
NO - however research on this is inconclusive (personality and intelligence have genetic components and things like predisposition to fiddle around with machines are related to personality). But I'm assuming you mean pure skill here.

YES - it's the same fertilized egg that gets split into two so it has either XX or XY chromosomes, it can't magically swap one for the other.

NO - it's two different eggs and two different sperm so they share about the same amount of genes as other children

NO - this is a very complicated topic despite what it may seem, but mostly presence/absence of Y chromosome (aka random chance - a sperm can carry one or the other) + exposure to oxytocin in the womb (development of feminine/masculine traits such as reproductory organs depends on oxytocin and a few other hormones to be made by the embryo) does

YES - self explanatory. Each parent contributes one chromosome.

NO - unless you mean biological factors such as exposure to teratogens (e.g. alcohol) while pregnant. Also depends on what you mean by experiences - high stress, while mostly a psychological experience, can still majorly screw up someone's health (for one thing, stress shuts down the immune system), which can have an effect both when the mother is pregnant and by in general damaging her health.

YES - it is.

YES - a person may still transmit recessive alleles even though they don't show them because they also have a dominant one (for the unfamiliar with genetics: many traits such as eye color or presence/absence of widow's peak are determined by single genes, one each from the mother and father. One type of allele is usually dominant, that is it always shows, irregardless of whether the second allele on the gene is dominant or recessive. Recessive ones only show if they're the only alleles present, but can still be passed on to children.)

NO - unless the old definition of "blood" is used, such as "he has royal blood" or "bloodline," implying genes.

YES - self explanatory. Identical twins share 100% of genes, fraternal about 50.

NO.

YES - if you mean pure physical strength. Females have higher endurance and pain tolerance. Don't know what exactly you're referring to.

NO - it's completely random

NO - okay, what?

YES - intelligence, for example.

NO

NO - okay, this is just plain stupid

NO

NO - but they are more likely to have birth defects or the like.

YES - true, about 50.5 to 55 men per 50 women are born, depending on specific population, most commonly 51 or so.

EDIT: sorry, I used "yes" instead of "true" and "no" instead of "false." :frown: Hope that's okay.

Lex-Kat
2010-02-19, 10:49 PM
Questions
True.
False
True
False
True
False
True
True
True
True
True
False
True
False
True
False
False
False
False
False

You're welcome. :smallsmile:

Andraste
2010-02-20, 12:30 AM
1. T
2. T
3. T
4. T
5. T
6. F
7. T
8. T
9. F
10. T
11. F
12. F
13. T
14. F
15. T
16. F
17. F
18. F
19. F
20. F

billtodamax
2010-02-20, 12:35 AM
Questions
False
True
False
False
True
True
False
True
False
True
False
True
True
False
True
False
False
False
False
False

Okay, I'm happy with those answers. Hope it helps.

Castaras
2010-02-20, 04:36 AM
True
True
False
True
True
False
True
True
True
False
False
True
True
False
True
False
False
True
False
True (52% to 48% iirc)

Aedilred
2010-02-20, 05:08 AM
1. False.

2. True.

3. False.

4. True.

5. False.

6. False.

7. True.

8. True.

9. True.

10. True.

11. False.

12. False.

13. True.

14. False.

15. True.

16. False.

17. False.

18. False.

19. False.

20. False.

I have studied biology before, but only to GCSE level (the minimum required) so I don't know if that counts.

Lex-Kat
2010-03-16, 10:54 AM
I'm curious. Can we get the correct answers?