PDA

View Full Version : Commoner Game IC thread

Volthawk
2010-02-18, 07:14 PM
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142147)

ROWAN WARD
As the sun started to set behind the imposing Mountains of Nerull, Rowan Ward started to walk towards his post as a night watchman, alerting the garrison there of any undead coming from the Mountains. "Not so fast", a familiar voice said. Rowan turned to see the Sheriff of Coningdale, David Spoony, in front of him. "You've got the night off, remember?"
DRAKE FLINT
Drake Flint finished his work in the smithy, a major part of the town's economy, and walked into the side building, where he and Shaun slept. They both worked for the blacksmith, known only as Mr. Astabury, and the day was Drakes third day working at this smithy. However, when he walked into his section of he building, he noticed a note on his bed. It read 'Come to the tavern tonight. I've got a plan to make us all rich! Mr. Astabury'
JACK MILLER
That night, Jack had been doing well. He hadn't lost so far, although he hadn't made much money. Everyone he'd played against didn't have much to their name anyway. While he was looking for a new target, two men sat down at his table; one tall and muscular, the other a short, fat, balding old man. "Hello, Mr. Miller," that old man started "my name is Les Dennis and I have a proposition for you."
CLAIRE SMITH
Claire had been working all day, and was looking forward to end of service. The day hadn't been very interesting, but one person caught her eye. He had stayed there all day, although many people had come to him. They would then leave, a disappointed expression on their face. Gamblers weren't allowed in the tavern, and that is what the man seemed to be.

Imbasel
2010-02-18, 08:30 PM
Drake smiled as he read the note, from Mr. Astabury. He smiled as he read the note, and thought Well, well today is my lucky day. I bet Shaun got a note, too well then I best be off to the tavern. Drake changes his clothes from his work clothes, to his traveler's outfit, and goes out the door with a grin on his face.

Drake walks down to the tavern slowly and watches the dawn set, and is awed by his beauty, and prays to the gold Pelor Thank you for creating, such a splendid piece of beauty, our lives are all the better for it, and it is one constant, that we common folk can rely on. Drake approaches the tavern called The Wandering Minstrel, and smiles. The tavern was a place that he had been sure to go to when he first arrived in town, and besides the smithy, it was a place he felt that he could call home. Drake runs his hands through his hair and walks into the tavern confidently that something new, and exciting is about to happen. He walks in and looks around for Mr. Astabury.

OOC: Yay first reply to thread, also I've included a spot roll to see if I notice Mr. Astabury I don't know if that's required but I thought it wouldn't hurt

Spot Check [roll0]

Volthawk
2010-02-18, 08:34 PM
Drake

The tavern has lots of people in it, but you look for Mr. Astabury and you see Mr.Astabury sitting at a table with two others: a short, fat, balding old man and a young man with blond hair. None of them have seen you. Shaun is not there.

Imbasel
2010-02-18, 08:39 PM
Drake turns and start's walking to Mr. Astabury's table thinking This is it, hopefully all turns out well.

Drake gets to the table and nods towards Mr.Astabury, and decides to turn on his charm and says Mr. Astabury, as always it is a pleasure to see you, I received your note about how I should come here. Would it be alright if I had a seat with you kind sirs, and if so could you please introduce these two men here, I can say I've never had the pleasure of meeting them before. Darren will stand until Mr.Astabury say's for him to stand down and will offer his hand in a handshake once, the men are introduced.

Volthawk
2010-02-18, 08:44 PM
"Yes, of course" Mr. Astabury says. "Drake, this is Les Dennis", pointing to the old man. "And he's.....sorry, what your name again?", he asks Jack.

Xealot7
2010-02-18, 08:46 PM
Claire Smith (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=185921)

Claire wiped down the bar and rather another round of ales out to men in corner table. The were regulers, here every evening after a long days work. The weren't the best of tippers but, were often good for a story or two. Although she went about business as usual, Claire couldn't help but notice the sharp dressed man who had been here through out the day. At first she had payed little attention to him, however, after hours of people coming up and leaving dejected, she could only imagine what business this man was in.

Finally working her courage up, Claire walks over to the man and sets a glass of water in front of him. "I know you said didn't want anything before... but, I figure since you'd been here all afternoon with out anything to drink..." Her voice trails off. "If you need anything else, let me know."

Claire waits for a nod of dismissal or to fetch him something more to his... "standards".

Edit: Just saw the post about the two additional men. Claire will bring them water as well.

DrSalt
2010-02-18, 09:15 PM
Jack

Jack smiled as the two men sat down and began shuffling the deck. "A proposition you say, might be that I'd be interested. Lets play a hand or two while we talk." As he's getting ready to deal out a hand a taller, sickly looking man walks over. After Mr. Astabury gives Drake the leave to sit down Jack offers out his hand, "Welcome Drake, names Jack Miller. Your just in time for a little game."

As he's making the introduction the waitress come over. "Ahh just in time. I'll have a mug of mead," he says, nodding towards the other three at the table "and a round for my new friends here as well." Then, after giving the girl the once over And one for yourself... if you'll sit with us for a spell"

Imbasel
2010-02-18, 09:20 PM
Drake smiles as he gives Jack a firm handshake. It's a pleasure to meet you, Jack. I would love to play a hand I can't remember the last time I played though. I'll love a drink thanks Jack, but next round is on me. Drake flashes his white smile, and says to the serving girl I think all of us here would definitely, like to share a drink with a fine lass like you.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-18, 09:37 PM
Rowan Ward

After quickly telling the sheriff "Thank you", Rowan begins to walk in the direction of the tavern. Rather than get a drink, he hopes to listen to a few stories told by the older patrons.

Xealot7
2010-02-19, 04:04 PM
Claire Smith

Claire smiles at the attention from the men. She got it rather often, but she couldn't say she minded. As long as it stayed harmless. "No problem, I'll be right back with the drinks" she says, just a hint of red in her cheeks as she blushed. She returns moments later with a mug of ale for each of the men, a glass of water for herself. She doesn't sit but she does stand over there table, watching the game of cards, making small talk with each of them in turn.

Imbasel
2010-02-19, 07:51 PM
Drake smiles as the serving girl, returns back to the table, where everyone else is currently located. When she returns Drake says Thank you kindly, miss. Now Mr.Astabury may I ask why we are here, or are we waiting for someone else?

Volthawk
2010-02-19, 07:54 PM
"Well, we just thought of a plan to make us all rich! You are pretty good at cards, but you only play small games. We'll supply you with what you can bet with to start playing big time." Mr. Astabury looks Miller in the eye. "Are you in?"

Imbasel
2010-02-19, 07:57 PM
Drake pauses and muses I've never really been that good at cards, how exactly should I help you guys out?

DrSalt
2010-02-19, 08:18 PM
"Rich ya say?" Jack said as he leaned far back in his chair. "I'd sure miss such fine places as this... what ya got in mind?"

Xealot7
2010-02-19, 09:06 PM
Claire Smith

Claire was rather doubtful. She'd heard many men come in here with there "fool proof" get rich quick schemes. Besides this didn't really seem to concern her anyway.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-19, 09:11 PM
Rowan Ward

The boy takes a seat at a small corner table, and begins watching and listening to the tavern-goers. He overhears something about getting rich quick, but knows that such schemes almost never end that way.

Imbasel
2010-02-19, 09:20 PM
Drake

Drake says Well, do you think you could go into more detail on exactly what we would do sir? I think all of us here would be willing to at least listen, about your proposal.

Volthawk
2010-02-20, 06:29 AM
"Well, you smiths are into a good source of cash here, selling weapons and the like to adventurers. So, I'm thinking you supply some of the cash, and you in turn get a slice of the reward!"

Imbasel
2010-02-20, 06:56 AM
Drake

Drake looks at the group and says in a confident voice That does indeed sounds like an interesting proposition my good sirs, but I have a few questions. I am not yet an accomplished smith yet, and while I believe I may say I am decent at crafting weapons and armor, I don't have access to a lot of money each week, therefore, my contribution would be less. Perhaps a set amount of my wages should go towards you based on how much your expecting me to give. Also, I'm hesitant on giving you my money until after you play a few games, against others. However, barring that I would be willing to go into this venture with you.

Volthawk
2010-02-20, 07:19 AM
"Yes, he's right. We can't put money in until we know if it's money-making enough." Mr.Astabury says.

"OK, I'll get in touch when we start making money." Les says "Jack, you're in right? I'll set up the games, you'll just need to win them."

Xealot7
2010-02-20, 10:44 AM
Claire Smith

Claire was rather amused. This smith was actually going to do this? She wasn't doubting this Jack fellow's ability at all, but she was a little hesitant about this Mr. Astabury. Besides, gambling was all based on luck, even the best card player was bound to lose a game or two, and if he lost one early and blew all the money... As she steps away to take care of a few patrons that walked in the door Claire mutters under her breath, "Men". After taking a few drinks, collecting money and cleaning a table, Claire returns to the get rich quick scheme table.

DrSalt
2010-02-20, 11:58 AM
Jack

"And here I thought getting rich was gonna be hard" Jack says, confident as ever. "You set up the games and I'll take care of winning."

Volthawk
2010-02-20, 12:00 PM
"Right, we got a way to get in touch with you?" Les enquires.

Xealot7
2010-02-20, 12:06 PM
Claire Smith

As Claire returned to the table, she heard Jack's comments. She wanted to laugh, however, something about Jack's attitude made her believe. She thought he was being naive, but his confidence made her feel... as if she were naive for not believing in him. There was something about him... aside from his good lucks, that was beginning to make Claire believe.

Claire, rarely one to be forward, says to the men seated in front of her, "I'm not sure if you interested, but if there is a way for me to help you... I will."

DrSalt
2010-02-20, 12:54 PM
Jack

"You can find me in the local taverns most nights. Although if you ever have trouble you could always leave a message with... well I don't think I've caught your name dear." Jack says as he turns and smiles at Claire. "Would give me an awfully nice excuse to come back and see you."

Imbasel
2010-02-20, 12:58 PM
Drake

I think all of us here wouldn't mind seeing, your beautiful face, mi'lady, it lights up the sky like the sun. Anyway Jack, would you mind if I saw you play a few hands tonight against others to see, if I should indeed invest in you?

DrSalt
2010-02-20, 01:07 PM
Jack

"Of course Drake, come along. As I remember you owe us all a round anyways."

Imbasel
2010-02-20, 01:11 PM
Drake

Drake smiles and says Well, then lets get this started, then you watch and I'll get the drinks. Miss, could you please get all of us a round and one for yourself, if you could, that would be wonderful. Drake digs in his pocket and takes out his last gold coin and says Take 2 silver for the round of ale's and and extra one for yourself, miss.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-20, 01:44 PM
Rowan Ward

The boy had been watching the get-rich-quick table with interest. After overhearing their plan, he had begun to listen more intently. But, card games? How could a game of chance be a foolproof way of making money?

Xealot7
2010-02-20, 04:57 PM
Claire Smith

Claire blushes anew with all of the attention she is receiving. She uses the excuse of going to get another round for the men to regain her composure. She returns with the drinks. "Here you go. Thank you for the coin. By the way, my name is Claire."

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-21, 01:06 AM
Rowan Ward

Rowan glances at the barmaid as she passes by, but quickly looks back towards the scheming men.

Xealot7
2010-02-21, 10:08 AM
Claire Smith
The Brief History of a Beautiful Barmaid
(Please note all of this took place prior to the beginning of the IC thread.)

Seventeen years ago in Carson's Mill, some 25 miles Southeast of Coningdale, Doris Smith gave birth to beautiful baby girl whom they named Claire. Doris and her husband James were poor, but the did everything they good to provide for their new daughter Claire. While James worked the fields to provide for his family, Doris took care of the home and taught Claire how to do the same. This went on for about 10 years. About this time James was recruited into the local militia. He was rather hesitant, but the pay was much better than he made as a field laborer, and besides, he didn't really have a choice. He rarely saw his family, but was able to send nearly all of his pay home every month. Things were on the up and up. The bills were all payed for the first time in... well ever, they had plenty of food, and he was even able to send Claire home a little doll. With the extra money, and his four years of service nearly completed, James was nearly ready to come home.

Only he never made it. Doris and Claire were never offered an explanation, only that James died in service to his country. Their only consolation was his last month's pay and a donation of coins that was collected by his comrades. Within a few months, things were getting worse. With no income, they were soon evicted. Doris got a job, and then another, and another to try and support her daughter. She refused to let Claire work, demanding that she continue to go to school. Within 2 years, Doris' health deteriorated. The long hours and triple shifts, seven days a week finally got to her. Upon her death, she left Claire with 2 gold coins and a note, telling her to make a better life for herself.

Claire did the only things she could. She moved. She went from town to town, before finally settling down in Coningdale. It took her a little while to find work, what having no experience at all, but finally a kind older gentleman by the name of Bruce Forsyth took a chance on her. He was the owner of a nice little tavern, the Drunken Urchin, and was in the need of a fresh face. He hired Claire on as a serving girl, and her she has been for the 7 months. Claire has saved nearly every coin she has made and now has about 10 gold coins to her name. She is very grateful to Bruce, but wants something more in her life. She has goals, ambitions, and dreams, and none of them involve working in a tavern for the rest of her life.

Her dreams range from minuscule to rather large, but none are of such a grand scale that they are out of reach. Some are rather small, such as one day working as a horse trainer, to owning a dog, and then maybe a horse. She has tried finding work as a stable hand, but has always been turned down because of her small frame. She also dreams of one day owning a house and maybe even eventually her own horse farm. But for now... for now, Claire is just a simple barmaid, listening to the drunken ramblings of those who like herself, have dreams, but haven't figured out how to realize them yet.

Imbasel
2010-02-23, 03:12 PM
Drake

Drake smiles and says In case you didn't hear my name is Drake, would you like to sit and talk, Claire while Jack plays cards?

Xealot7
2010-02-23, 06:46 PM
Claire Smith

"Well, I guess it couldn't hurt." She said, her eyes dancing around to see if anyone was watching. Technically her shift had already ended, but she was still nervous. No one was watching. "It's a pleasure to meet you Drake."

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-23, 07:40 PM
Rowan Ward

With no stories being told in the tavern this evening, Rowan exits the building. He walks to his usual watch, and decides to keep one of his fellow guards company until the morning.

Volthawk
2010-02-24, 12:46 PM
Rowan gets to the watchtower without anything noteworthy happening, and sits with the other guard. Soon, the other guard says "Hey, Rowan, I thought I say something out there. Did you see anything?"

Make a Spot check.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-24, 07:43 PM
Rowan Ward

The teenage boy leaps up from his sitting position, then leans forward over the railing. He strains his eyes to spot anything in the distant darkness.

[roll0]

Volthawk
2010-02-25, 11:37 AM
After peering into the darkness, you see bone. And then some more. A second later, you finally make it out. A skeleton. The other guard asks "Hey, Rowan. You see anything or was it just my imagination?"

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-25, 08:21 PM
Rowan Ward

Without looking at his fellow watchman, he says, "No, I definitely see something. It's a skeleton." After staring for a moment longer, Rowan turns to the guard. "What do we do?"

Imbasel
2010-02-25, 09:50 PM
Drake

Drake smiles at Claire flashing his brilliant white teeth, and says So, how did you come to work here in this town, are you from around here? I'm not, but I have to say it's a very quaint village.

Xealot7
2010-02-26, 06:16 AM
Claire Smith

"Well, I've been here for a little over half a year. It's nice, the people are nice, and bad things rarely happen here. What about you?"

Volthawk
2010-02-28, 08:50 AM
The guard seems to freeze for a moment, fear flashing in his eyes. After a moment, he seems to pull himself together, standing up and lighting a torch. "SKELETONS!" he yells, waving the torch around. "Quick, Rowan! Go to the Sheriff in the barracks, he'll tell you what to do!"

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-28, 12:26 PM
Rowan Ward

The boy quickly makes his way down the watchtower, sprinting for all he's worth toward the barracks. After entering, he looks around for the sheriff and says, ""Sheriff!" Rowan is breathing heavily from the sprint. "Skeletons... Coming from the mountains... What do we do?"

Volthawk
2010-02-28, 12:33 PM
"WHAT!" the Sheriff yells. "OK..OK..OK. James, go door to door. Tell them to get to the docks. Smith, wake up everyone here. Rowan, go to the tavern. Tell the people in there that anyone good at fighting to come to me at the barracks, and everyone else to go to the docks, and you take them there. Tell the Captain what you told me, and he'll tell you what to do after that. Now go!"

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-28, 12:44 PM
Rowan Ward

Rowan quickly nods his head before running off in the direction of the tavern. He slams through the doors and yells, "Skeletons coming from the mountains! Anyone who can fight, get to the barracks! Everyone else, come with me! We need to get to the docks!"

Xealot7
2010-02-28, 01:17 PM
Claire Smith

Claire knew she was no warrior, but what if there weren't enough warriors to stand against the threat. She reached into her pocket and grabbed sling. Not much, but she hoped it would suffice. She decided to take action. "Everybody quick, like the man said, either get down to the docks or go to the barracks to fight." The innkeeper grab her by the hand and said, "Come on, let's get to the docks." Not wanting to argue, she said, "Go ahead, I'll catch up." With that he turned around and went on without her.

Claire took out on her own, making her way towards the barracks.

Volthawk
2010-02-28, 02:17 PM
Most the room rushes out, as the tavern was mostly full of adventurers or guards, leaving the civilians and some adventurers who hadn't reacted yet.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-28, 03:08 PM
Rowan Ward

The boy motions to the door. "If you're not going to fight, you'd better start heading to the docks. Now!"

Imbasel
2010-02-28, 09:16 PM
Drake

Drake nods his head as Claire talks listening attentively to every word she say. As she talks he never stops looking at her face, making sure that she knows that he giving her his fullest attention. Just when he was about to respond to her lovely face he sees a man barging into the tavern shouting about the dead walking among the living, and shudders instinctively as he hears it. At the sound of fighting Drake looks upon his body and shakes his head, as he knows he is far too weak and frail to be of any help. Claire, I'll see you later I would help, but I'm far to weak to be of any use and I'll just get in the way. I'll go to the docks and see if I can help there, perhaps I can aid the other villagers there, and calm them down. Farewell miss, and may Pelor bless you. Drake rushes out the door and starts heading to the docks to see how he can help, and shouts to the guardsmen as he runs My name is Drake, and I work in the town smithery, what can I do to help at the docks?

Volthawk
2010-03-01, 11:15 AM
Finally more people start leaving, most heading to the docks but some still heading towards the barracks.

At the barracks, the Sheriff, decked out in chainmail and wielding a halberd, surveys his volunteers and start to talk. "Alright, people. I cannot promise we will win. I cannot promise you will survive. But I do promise that if it is the last thing I do, I will stop these fleshless freaks right here, right now. I hope you will do the same."

At the docks, people are rushing onto any boats possible, despite the guard's best attempts to organise proceedings. A voice shouts "Women first", another shouts "F*** the women" and a third, more uplifted voice yells "We have time for that?". Responding to Drake, the guards yell "Can you try to get thses guys orderly? Any help will be much appreciated!"

Back in the tavern, most people have left, but a few remain, either indecisive or still in shock.

Xealot7
2010-03-01, 11:33 AM
Claire Smith

Claire stands around the men preparing to make stand. She realizes she is the only person there with out a weapon. She looks around frantically realizing she has nothing. Without wasting anymore time, she reaches down and tears a strip off of the bottom of her apron, not quite two feet long and about two inches wide. She then looks around on the ground and finds 5 smooth stones. She remembers being a good shot when she was younger, able to hit a tree from a decent ways off. Today, she wouldn't be throwing at trees.

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-01, 08:10 PM
Rowan Ward

The young man walks up to the tavern-goers who are still in shock and grabs them by the shoulders. He says sternly, "Do you wanna die? Because that's what might happen if you don't get your ass out of here right now. Get moving."

Volthawk
2010-03-02, 12:06 PM
At the barracks, there are general shouts and murmurs, with a wide variety of people preparing themselves for battle. An elf with strange golden scales says "I say fight them. Those things can't be allowed into the city.", a man asks "Will we wait or bring the fight to them?" and a wizards asks "Hm, um, Sir? Might I ask if... That is... Do we know how many?". These are responded to by the Sheriff. "We will wait for them here, and no, we don't know how many, but they are mindless. We are not. We can plan."

In the tavern, Rowan's statement got most the crowd moving, except for a final few, including an odd hooded man, sitting in the shadowy corner.

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-02, 08:26 PM
Rowan Ward

With an exasperated sigh, Rowan jogs over to the odd man in the corner. "Alright, time to go. You have to get out of here!"

Volthawk
2010-03-05, 02:04 PM
In the barracks, all the discussion is broken when a guard rushes down from the roof and shouts "Sir! The skeletons... They're an illusion!"

"Alright boyo. What happened?" the Sherrif asks the guard.

"Well, I saw this horse behind the skeletons. It ran straight through the skeletons, and that's when it hit me. They were an illusion. Trust me sir, look yourself." the guard replies.

"...Fine"

The Sheriff climbs up to the roof, and in the barracks all that can be heard is a quiet "Well I'll be damned..."

The Sheriff drops down and shouts "Alright people. It really is fake. Polda, Lekki, Weckly, go around town. Tell everyone what happened and tell them to come here. Fo, go the docks. Tell them it's safe."

In the tavern, the man rises and leaves, moments before a guard rushes in.

"Anyone here? Oh, Rowan. Come to the barracks. Apparently the skeletons were an illusion or something"

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-05, 08:38 PM
Rowan Ward

The young man watches the odd stranger leave, before turning to the guard. "W-what? That's strange..." he says, heading to the barracks.

Volthawk
2010-03-06, 04:20 AM
In the docks, a guard runs into the crowd shouting "False alarm! It's safe! Go to the barracks, everyone!"

Imbasel
2010-03-06, 05:02 PM
Drake

Drake nods to himself thinking Typical, just typical the second I haul, my scrawny but to the docks, it turns out to be a false alarm. Oh well, at least I got the exercise even if I do feel like it was going to kill me. Drake slowly starts to travel with the rest of the villagers back to the tavern, and town and feels his legs grow weary and weak. Every day his frail, body fought against him, but he had an impaceable will. One that would drive through the pain like his hammer drove through metal, to be shaped Drake enters the tavern and sits down at a table looking around to see if anybody, from before is back yet.

Spot check to notice people: [roll0]

OOC: Sorry, for the late post I was bedridden for a few days(clams need to be properly cooked at restaurants bleh)