PDA

View Full Version : Post apocalyptic campaign

Broccoli21
2010-02-18, 08:56 PM
Im planning on running a campaign based on the Dictionary of mu (http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12743.phtml). However, my group isn't interested in playing sorcerer. I was wondering If you guys could give me some suggestions as to what system to use, as I am fairly new to DMing and I am not familiar with too many systems. I was thinking either D20 modern or storyteller.

A few things:
-I want to keep it gritty and dark. The players shouldn't be too powerful, and should rely on wits.

-I might be adding more of a sci-fi element to it.

-My players seem to like systems with fluent combat.

-A system with magic would be preferable.

Thanks in advance! :smallbiggrin:

Frosty
2010-02-18, 08:57 PM
Have you played Fallout 2? Use the SPECIAL system for fun and profit, but do houserule the drug addiction rules. Plus you'll need to google for an updated critical table. http://www.paforge.com/fallout.html

AtopTheMountain
2010-02-18, 09:00 PM
I'm not familiar with the Dictionary of Mu, but:
4E D&D is easy to pick up for beginners. The combat system is extremely well-balanced, and there is magic. It's easy to make players have lower power levels (lower ability scores and treasure levels, for example). For the gritty, sci-fi-ish elements, try Eberron Campaign Setting. I don't know if they've made a 4E book for it yet, though, but it's very good for that kind of pulp-fantasy-scifi-adventure kind of stuff. You'll have to change it a lot to accomodate post-apocolyptic, however, especially if it's based on another work.

Broccoli21
2010-02-18, 09:02 PM
hmm. Does fallout have a magic system? Could I use the D20 modern magic system for it? or would it need too much tweaking?

I also like the lack of classes in certain systems. Even D20 modern has very "generic" classes (smart, quick, strong, etc.). Im not sure how a paladin would exist on a desolate war-torn Mars.:smallconfused:.

Thursday
2010-02-18, 09:16 PM
My version of Fallout tactics came with a pen and paper version of the game as a free extra...

Unfortunately, I never really looked at it, so thats all I can tell you.
I know, I'm just that helpful, don't thank me all at once.
Just might have to dig that out now..

Its based on GURPS. isn't it? Based on the computer game I'd be very suprised if there was magic, and it will be pretty simple.

Frosty
2010-02-18, 09:54 PM
hmm. Does fallout have a magic system? Could I use the D20 modern magic system for it? or would it need too much tweaking?

I also like the lack of classes in certain systems. Even D20 modern has very "generic" classes (smart, quick, strong, etc.). Im not sure how a paladin would exist on a desolate war-torn Mars.:smallconfused:.

It has no magic, but it shouldn't be hard to homebrew it in as a skill-check of some sort or perhaps equippable scrolls (can only equip 2 at once). The SPECIAL system has no classes at all. Characters have huge customization freedom.

Broccoli21
2010-02-18, 10:37 PM
Do you think that I could use the D20 magic system, but have mana points or something to make it less powerful? Is the health in Fallout about the same as in D20?