PDA

View Full Version : Tricky Warblade/Paladin Dilema

waterpenguin43
2010-02-18, 11:20 PM
I have this paladin in my campaign who, while usually using weapons, has and will gotten/get into several unarmed battles (For the advantage for non-lethal battles), as he is filled with pent-up rage and anger. I need some sort of signifigant thing to represent that, but I'd prefer not to use prestige classes, if you have seen one or make one that fits this dilema really well, I'll use it, though.
So basically, I'm looking for something that makes sense for a paladin that frequently unarmed fights, but not as a standard means of combat, but rather as a sort of twist to the character. Also, I meant punching and grappling, you know, that sort of thing.

Pluto
2010-02-18, 11:30 PM
So basically, I'm looking for something that makes sense for a paladin that frequently unarmed fights, but not as a standard means of combat, but rather as a sort of twist to the character. Also, I meant punching and grappling, you know, that sort of thing.
Have you taken much as far as Tiger Claw maneuvers go? Those seem like the easiest ways of representing this.

Otherwise, maybe retrain to the Half-Orc Paladin sub level in Races of Destiny. You probably don't match for the race, but it's fitting.

Weezer
2010-02-18, 11:39 PM
If you have IUS (i'd hope you do if you fight unarmed regularly) how about taking Snap Kick (ToB)? It'd give a twist to his unarmed fighting and you could fluff that extra attack and loss of accuracy was due to releasing his anger upon his hapless foes.

lsfreak
2010-02-18, 11:40 PM
To cover the 'unarmed' part, Improved Unarmed Strike, or a single level in unarmed swordsage, mostly picking up stuff from Setting Sun (note form optimization standpoint, take two levels and before your 4th level of warblade; this nets you a 3rd level warblade stance much earlier than you'd normally get one).

For the anger part, you can just roleplay that out. No need for added mechanics. Really, you probably don't *need* the stuff for unarmed attacks, it's just really annoying to have a character known for hand-to-hand but that still provokes on every attack. You can roleplay all this still without ever doing anything special mechanics-wise.

elliott20
2010-02-19, 03:28 AM
Like I said in the other thread, if you don't want to dedicate feats and class levels to it, (making it less optimal but still doable) a monk's belt will do the job fairly nicely.

If you're talking about actually dedicating real resources into a build, IUS, Superior Unarmed Strike, and dips into unarmed swordsage are all options. Heck, add snap kick in, throw in some maneuvers, and do the dubious "improved natural attack" stacking, and you can pretty much forgo a weapon entirely.

Runestar
2010-02-19, 04:31 AM
If swordsage is not possible, splash 2 lvs of monk for IUS, paving the way for improved grapple, superior unarmed strike and snap kick. As a bonus, you also get good saves and evasion (though it will probably be canceled out by your armour).