PDA

View Full Version : Remember When OOTS Updated?

BuggyNot
2010-02-18, 11:41 PM
Me neither.

Acero
2010-02-18, 11:47 PM
*Prepares the trumpets and waits for Roland*

littlequietguy
2010-02-19, 12:05 AM
Oddly enough, I was tempted to post one of these threads when I logged on. I rejected the idea immediately (because it is a bad one) and then I saw this. Sigh...

Shale
2010-02-19, 12:06 AM
You don't remember last week?

That sounds like a medical problem.

Inhuman Bot
2010-02-19, 12:11 AM
Lockage in 10.

And to say I contributed, you're not allowed to post these, check da rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1), less QQ, etc. :smalltongue:

By the way, is one supposed to report these, or wait until Roland strolls over by himself?

Mystic Muse
2010-02-19, 12:13 AM
You don't remember last week?

That sounds like a medical problem.

yeah you should get that checked out. it sounds pretty serious.:smalleek:

Now, before you say anything else check the rules. (not directed at you Shale. I hope that's apparent)

Silverraptor
2010-02-19, 12:17 AM
Lockage in 10.

And to say I contributed, you're not allowed to post these, check da rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1), less QQ, etc. :smalltongue:

By the way, is one supposed to report these, or wait until Roland strolls over by himself?

Your can choose to report these so it makes Roland's job easier.

ScottishDragon
2010-02-19, 12:18 AM
*hangs up a welcome banner for roland*

what is the point of this thread anyway?most thrads about updating seem to have a point.

Cisturn
2010-02-19, 12:22 AM
Ha I love that every comment on this thread is various people waiting for the Gunslinger.

...Where is Roland BTW?

Mystic Muse
2010-02-19, 12:41 AM
...Where is Roland BTW?

Maybe taking a break? we all know he deserves it.

Dancing_Fox
2010-02-19, 12:44 AM
...Where is Roland BTW?

Probably checking to see if Anti-HEROES has been updated.

(Not that I haven't wondered the original question myself, just restrained myself from asking, given what is known of the update frequency and reasons.)

Shale
2010-02-19, 12:44 AM
That implies that Roland is something other than a board-modding automaton who has eschewed the petty human concerns of eating and sleeping in favor of the sustenance he draws from the souls of trolls, flame warriors and people who don't read the FAQ before posting.

Frankly, that's just a bit hard to swallow.

Dancing_Fox
2010-02-19, 12:49 AM
That implies that Roland is something other than a board-modding automaton who has eschewed the petty human concerns of eating and sleeping in favor of the sustenance he draws from the souls of trolls, flame warriors and people who don't read the FAQ before posting.

Really? No seriously, really? :smallsmile:

Anyway, to pass the time until thread lockdown, the most popular joke in Germany a few years ago.

-----------------
An Alsatian went to a telegram office, took out a blank form and wrote:
“Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof.”

The clerk examined the paper and politely told the dog: “There are only nine words here. You could send another ‘Woof’ for the same price.”

“But,” the dog replied, “that would make no sense at all.”
-----------------

Shale
2010-02-19, 12:51 AM
Well, I was responding to Kyuubi. A board-modding automaton who eschews etc. etc. can still appreciate good webcomics.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-19, 01:08 AM

Just because he gets his sustenance from those souls doesn't mean a guy doesn't enjoy a nice steak, video game, or TV show every once in a while

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-02-19, 01:09 AM
Maybe taking a break? we all know he deserves it.

Does Roland know what a break is?

Mystic Muse
2010-02-19, 01:12 AM

....I don't know. I'd think so but maybe not.:smalleek:

Beowulf DW
2010-02-19, 01:20 AM
This is a new experience for me. It's like waiting for Godzilla to rise out of the ocean.

Larspcus2
2010-02-19, 01:21 AM
After a scan of the FAQ, I have determined that there are no rules against saying "In before lock."

ddddddddhelpimtrappedinaletterfactoryddddddddIn before lock.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-19, 01:25 AM
This is a new experience for me. It's like waiting for Godzilla to rise out of the ocean.

Yes but this is different.

This is the guy who sent Godzilla back into the ocean.:smallbiggrin:

Lord Thurlvin
2010-02-19, 01:30 AM
After a scan of the FAQ, I have determined that there are no rules against saying "In before lock."

ddddddddhelpimtrappedinaletterfactoryddddddddIn before lock.

Good thing. Otherwise there would be a lot of people with infractions.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-19, 01:31 AM
Good thing. Otherwise there would be a lot of people with infractions.

Why do I have the feeling the rules are going to be updated with this added in?:smallamused:

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-19, 01:31 AM
Note to Rich: the natives are restless in the playground again.

Lord Thurlvin
2010-02-19, 01:32 AM
Why do I have the feeling the rules are going to be updated with this added in?:smallamused:

I've been wondering that as well. In fact, I've had the urge to ask that in the "rules" section of the forum (or whatever it's called).
Edit: This thread still isn't locked? Unless I'm mistaken, it was started yesterday!

Turkish Delight
2010-02-19, 01:48 AM
Note to Rich: the natives are restless in the playground again.

That's why these threads appear, even when the person who creates it must know how essentially pointless it is; simmering impatience that boils to the surface even though everyone knows it will be swatted, but nevertheless provides a brief outlet for that impatience.

Whatever. If anyone want lots of updates, I suggest you pretend the comic doesn't exist for a few months and then come back. By then, there should be a few.

Kjata
2010-02-19, 01:48 AM
You know, I knew what the post was going to say, but it still made me laugh a bit.

Maybe Roland died of exhaustion.

Lord Thurlvin
2010-02-19, 01:55 AM
Maybe Roland died of exhaustion.

But legends never die!

Mystic Muse
2010-02-19, 01:57 AM
Heroes get remembered but legends never die!

fixed it for you.

Studoku
2010-02-19, 01:59 AM

I'm not going to look through the rules for a quote, but it'd be covered under the rule against posting spam in a thread that's going to be locked.

It was enforced in 2008 when organ harvesting was a popular way of dealing with repeat/spam threads.

Jayngfet
2010-02-19, 02:04 AM
Roland seems to be busy, toe tappingly so. I remember the days he could scrub a comment before you could read it. Almost like mind co -There is no mind control citizen, I will go back to my fun-

Anyhoo, rich has a life and complications. Anyone who's tried to do anything with the internet under a schedule realises it doesn't work, the entire universe is out to get you away from that computer.

Asta Kask
2010-02-19, 02:08 AM

It's what he does to people's legs when they don't read the FAQ.

Jayngfet
2010-02-19, 02:10 AM
It's what he does to people's souls when they don't read the FAQ.

Fixed that for ya. A fun fact: Chuck Norris once signed up to GITP and tried voicing his political views. That was the day Norris Facts stopped being funny.

Kumori
2010-02-19, 02:24 AM
I'm a little curious as to where Roland is right now too, so I checked to see when he last posted. While doing so, I noticed that the option is there to "Add Roland St. Jude to Your Ignore List". Kinda funny that you can just simply ignore an administrator like that.

Degnared
2010-02-19, 02:46 AM
Have you heard the one about Roland? A dangerous robot, I'm told. He's got lasers for eyes, and a microchip brain, and his skin is terribly cold.

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-19, 02:51 AM
YES! That's exactly what I think! I think Roland's a robot! He has been sent from the future to punish us in the past!

Kumori
2010-02-19, 02:51 AM
If he's from the future, shouldn't he know that this thread needs to be locked already?

Masamune
2010-02-19, 02:53 AM
{Scrubbed}

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-19, 02:57 AM
That's not nice! :smallannoyed:

Kumori
2010-02-19, 03:06 AM
I wonder how many times the banhammer will strike as a result of this thread...

Draconi Redfir
2010-02-19, 03:07 AM
*snip*.

Creating an art such as the order of the stick takes precious time my friend. One cannot simply wish a page into existence, it must first be thought, then drawn, then reviewed, then edited, and then reviewed again. Until finally it reaches the perfection point to be posted.

Aside from that, drawing comics such as this are quite exhausting (I know, I’ve tried, and that’s with just two characters!) at times it can feel as if physical pain is being done to you simply because you need to re-do this arm, or you messed up that tree.

Not to mention other things that can happen. Illness, lack of funds, the need to eat/sleep/use the bathroom. Even if the mighty giant wants to put every waking hour of his life into making the comic, these common things will always pull him away. And that’s just the beginning. he would also need to research particular facts for jokes, look over notes to make sure he doesn’t reveal any critical plot points, and many other things.

Patience my child, you must have patience.

-signed: the pope of the Jimmy.

Puns de León
2010-02-19, 03:17 AM
Every time I see complaints such as these I think of this Simpsons quote:

Comic Book Guy: Last night's "Itchy & Scratchy" was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.
Bart: Hey, I know it wasn't great, but what right do you have to complain?
Comic Book Guy: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.
Bart: What? They're giving you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? If anything, you owe them.
Comic Book Guy: [pauses] Worst episode ever.
-- "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show"

Remember when you didn't know about this comic and you were mercifully spared the frustration of not finding freely given, fresh entertainment readily available at your every whim?

Masamune
2010-02-19, 03:21 AM
Creating an art such as the order of the stick takes precious time my friend. One cannot simply wish a page into existence, it must first be thought, then drawn, then reviewed, then edited, and then reviewed again. Until finally it reaches the perfection point to be posted.

Aside from that, drawing comics such as this are quite exhausting (I know, I’ve tried, and that’s with just two characters!) at times it can feel as if physical pain is being done to you simply because you need to re-do this arm, or you messed up that tree.

Not to mention other things that can happen. Illness, lack of funds, the need to eat/sleep/use the bathroom. Even if the mighty giant wants to put every waking hour of his life into making the comic, these common things will always pull him away. And that’s just the beginning. he would also need to research particular facts for jokes, look over notes to make sure he doesn’t reveal any critical plot points, and many other things.

Patience my child, you must have patience.

-signed: the pope of the Jimmy.

....I make comics man. I use illustrator. I am by no means saying that it isn't difficult, nor am I saying it doesn't take time, but i find it increasingly difficult to simply accept that a story that has gotten to this point is steadily decreasing in production time. As far as im concerned when u have a following of this magnitude, as well as numerous PUBLISHED high end books out, perhaps a little more attention should be made toward your project instead of allowing it to dwindle. Rich started a novel, and im sure he has most of it mapped out as he is professional that way, so refusal to finish the story at this point or just to keep a constant and consistent effort is nothing less than irresponsible laziness. I love this story and the strip itself, I love the characters and the depth he has created behind them and their plight, but It upsets me that Rich is taking it for granted. Of course I dont know what the problem is, but I along with many others know there is one.

Lord Thurlvin
2010-02-19, 03:23 AM
fixed it for you.

But... but... now it's not subtle enough! :smalltongue:

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-19, 03:24 AM
Oh, so you ARE like comic book guy and feel that Rich owes you. RIGHT.

Kjata
2010-02-19, 03:24 AM
{Scrubbed}

Jesus dude chill out, Rich is seriously ill I think. I mean he's been ill for like 3 years, and I'm pretty sure he is aware that if his comic dies he needs another day job. I don't have a problem with comics, I'm just hella curious what he's so sick with.

Oh ya, who else would laugh if a comic got posted before this gets locked?

Lord Thurlvin
2010-02-19, 03:34 AM
Jesus dude chill out, Rich is seriously ill I think. I mean he's been ill for like 3 years, and I'm pretty sure he is aware that if his comic dies he needs another day job. I don't have a problem with comics, I'm just hella curious what he's so sick with.

Oh ya, who else would laugh if a comic got posted before this gets locked?

Now, would that be ironic? I always get confused as to what exactly constitutes irony. (Not saying you said it was ironic, just asking)

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-19, 03:36 AM
Yes, it would be ironic.

Agi Hammerthief
2010-02-19, 03:37 AM
re: Masamune's Rant

whatever the reason for the increasing output time,
it confirms my usual policy not to start reading or buying a series of books until the author has put "teh end" under the last novel.

PTerry's Discworld novels are each a finished story, so no problem but I'm really happy to not have started on the Wheel of Time.

Turkish Delight
2010-02-19, 04:24 AM
I don't like the 'when is Rich going to update?' threads for the same reason the forum moderators don't like them; we already know the answer to the question. Rich has no update schedule because he gets sick for long periods of time. Or perhaps something in real life is taking up all his time. Whatever. He can't churn them out all that quickly, and that's that. Let's just hope he can start drawing them a bit more regularly once he's done with whatever is holding him up, as that's all we can do aside from abandoning the comic.

On the other hand, I've gotta admit I also don't like the comments that chastise people for being frustrated and venting that frustration. Is there any fan of the comic who isn't frustrated by now? Yes, it's a free service, for which I thank the Giant greatly, but even free entertainment is irritating when it just stops right in the middle of the story.

I don't want these threads cluttering up the forum anymore than anyone else, so it's good they get locked. But I feel sometimes almost like people come down on those who post them as if what is being said isn't what a huge swath of people aren't already thinking.

Puns de León
2010-02-19, 04:36 AM
....I make comics man. I use illustrator. I am by no means saying that it isn't difficult, nor am I saying it doesn't take time, but i find it increasingly difficult to simply accept that a story that has gotten to this point is steadily decreasing in production time. As far as im concerned when u have a following of this magnitude, as well as numerous PUBLISHED high end books out, perhaps a little more attention should be made toward your project instead of allowing it to dwindle. Rich started a novel, and im sure he has most of it mapped out as he is professional that way, so refusal to finish the story at this point or just to keep a constant and consistent effort is nothing less than irresponsible laziness. I love this story and the strip itself, I love the characters and the depth he has created behind them and their plight, but It upsets me that Rich is taking it for granted. Of course I dont know what the problem is, but I along with many others know there is one.

I think it's evident that we would all like the comics to come shooting out as fast as possible. The fact is, for one reason or another, there will be times when the wait is longer than usual. I doubt that Rich has not put up a comic in a while because he's bored with this whole OOTS thing, or because he is consciously "allowing it to dwindle". I'm sure he maintains a cosntant and consistent effort. From what I've seen of his work, there's been nothing to indicate that he has any wish to deny you strips, or that he's irresponsible or lazy, at least not any more so than the majority of the rest of us. He may have tarried in getting a strip out because he had to call in sick (no sense in working when you're not at your best, after all), or because he dedicated the time to some as-yet unannounced project, or because he didn't want to release a strip that wasn't fully developed to his satisfaction.

What this boils down to is that no matter what our expectations are for strip release frequency, and no matter the reason for the "lateness" (I say that tentatively because, of course, there is no schedule except Rich's schedule), we aren't entitled to criticize him for failure to produce strips since we aren't paying him in the least for the online strips that he supplies. You can complain if the book you purchased is missing pages or something, but in this case we must respect his pace and remain thankful that he's doing this at all. Saying that his productivity isn't good enough is like his telling you that your work performance, wherever you may work, isn't good enough, and that he's disgusted with your lack of proactivity in doing your job. You don't have any more right to criticize him than he would you.

The reason this topic is so unpopular is because it's already been covered, and discussing it further serves no purpose. The reasons are good ones and the problem is not laziness. If there's one thing of which you can rest assured, it's Rich's dedication.

Turkish Delight
2010-02-19, 04:49 AM
What this boils down to is that no matter what our expectations are for strip release frequency, and no matter the reason for the "lateness" (I say that tentatively because, of course, there is no schedule except Rich's schedule), we aren't entitled to criticize him for failure to produce strips since we aren't paying him in the least for the online strips that he supplies. You can complain if the book you purchased is missing pages or something, but in this case we must respect his pace and remain thankful that he's doing this at all. Saying that his productivity isn't good enough is like his telling you that your work performance, wherever you may work, isn't good enough, and that he's disgusted with your lack of proactivity in doing your job. You don't have any more right to criticize him than he would you.

I know this argument and have made it myself, but I've always found it lacking in a certain respect, at least in regards to chastising people for their negative reactions .

Let's say someone gives you a free pizza. It's very tasty pizza, too. All your favorite toppings. You sit down to eat it, and when you're half-way through and still very hungry the guy who gave it to you yanks the pizza out of your hand and won't let you finish.

You were enjoying that pizza a lot. But on the other hand, you didn't pay for it and never had to go through the trouble of making it. In all respects that matter, you have no real right to complain, and should in fact be thankful for the portion you ate already. Nevertheless, forget 'rights'; is it understandable that having it yanked away annoys you?

The example doesn't line up exactly, of course, since Rich isn't purposefully depriving us of anything and the 'pizza' is a work in progress that has to be devoured tiny bite by tiny bite. Nevertheless, the 'right' to criticize is unimportant. People are getting restless because the situation, if you're a fan, justifies restlessness.

Lord Thurlvin
2010-02-19, 05:11 AM
I like the fact that this thread has actually led to some intelligent discussion about the justification/lack of justification for update impatience...
I mean, impatience about the Forbidden Topic.

TriForce
2010-02-19, 05:12 AM

this made me lol :smallbiggrin:

Teddy
2010-02-19, 05:16 AM
He may have tarried in getting a strip out because he had to call in sick (no sense in working when you're not at your best, after all)...

In that case, It's truely for our best (http://www.giantitp.com/Images/fanart/ootslate1.gif) (image from the extras section, for clarification).

Zanaril
2010-02-19, 05:24 AM
Now, would that be ironic? I always get confused as to what exactly constitutes irony. (Not saying you said it was ironic, just asking)

Ironic: when what happens is contrary to what would be expected to happen.

For example, a coffin maker who doesn't get a grave when he dies is ironic.

A coffin maker dieing getting burried in one of his own coffins is not ironic.

Turkish Delight
2010-02-19, 05:24 AM
I like the fact that this thread has actually led to some intelligent discussion about the justification/lack of justification for update impatience...
I mean, impatience about the Forbidden Topic.

I think I may have a bit of a death wish in regards to this subject. My inner anarchist howls in protest whenever I'm not allowed to discuss a subject on a forum...even in a single thread, even productively and intelligently...because it's 'forbidden.'

I will respect the moderators enough so that I won't violate the rule brazenly and get banned. But as long as a related thread is open about that subject, still pending lock down, I will take advantage of it and get it off my chest. That may get me banned regardless someday...but eh, it's just a web comic forum, after all, and the principle of the thing trumps posting rights. Live free or banned!

Cen
2010-02-19, 05:25 AM
Ooook 2 pages already and no sign of Roland?

Something's fishy!! :|

Care to start a thread titled "Remember When Roland Reacted So Slow"??

Mercenary Pen
2010-02-19, 05:26 AM
It has been stated before, but Rich Burlew has ongoing health issues. We don't know exactly what they are (and that's the way he prefers it), but they are there and are presumably the main issue interfering with updates.

Thread will be reported for lockdown.

Nimrod's Son
2010-02-19, 05:29 AM
The example doesn't line up exactly, of course, since Rich isn't purposefully depriving us of anything and the 'pizza' is a work in progress that has to be devoured tiny bite by tiny bite. Nevertheless, the 'right' to criticize is unimportant. People are getting restless because the situation, if you're a fan, justifies restlessness.
The example doesn't line up at all. The equivalent would be Rich offering to make you that free pizza a slice at a time, and after he's given you three-quarters of it he has to stop temporarily because he got ill. He still promises you the rest of the pizza but you'll have to wait till he's physically capable of cooking.

So yeah, you don't have the right to moan about that. You'll get the rest of your free pizza eventually; if you're still hungry in the meantime, go find something else to eat.

(Thankfully, most people here are capable of being a little disappointed and frustrated by the situation - as we all are, obviously - without feeling that they have the right to bitch about it.)

Lord Thurlvin
2010-02-19, 05:29 AM
I think I may have a bit of a death wish in regards to this subject. My inner anarchist howls in protest whenever I'm not allowed to discuss a subject on a forum...even in a single thread, even productively and intelligently...because it's 'forbidden.'

I will respect the moderators enough so that I won't violate the rule brazenly and get banned. But as long as a related thread is open about that subject, still pending lock down, I will take advantage of it and get it off my chest. That may get me banned regardless someday...but eh, it's just a web comic forum, after all, and the principle of the thing trumps posting rights. Live free or banned!

Well, it's going fine right now, but how much discussion can there really be about the update schedule beyond whether we, as fans, have any right to be impatient and angry?
Edit: I'm not suggesting we have a right.

Turkish Delight
2010-02-19, 05:35 AM
The example doesn't line up at all. The equivalent would be Rich offering to make you that free pizza a slice at a time, and after he's given you three-quarters of it he has to stop temporarily because he got ill.

That example doesn't fit, either, because a single posting doesn't wrap up the story; i.e. if Rich stops, we're left hanging right in the middle of an ongoing plot, chomping at the bit to know what happens next. That's not the equivalent of a satisfying meal with the expectation of more to come, or even a single slice. It's more like feeding us bite by bite and then the morsels stop coming when you're still hungry, with no explanation.

In such circumstances, it has nothing to do with 'rights', as I explained. People WILL bitch about it because it's an aggravating situation and people bitch in aggravating situations.

Snake-Aes
2010-02-19, 05:41 AM
Wait wait wait...
you said "you don't know what the problem is" and, at the same time, "it can only be irresponsible laziness"?

Saying "we don't pay him so we shouldn't have the right to complain" is fine and all but if Rich makes money from the webcomic, it's a group of readers that support it.
Where we actively spend money, we are being given what we paid for immediately. He doesn't charge us to see the comic, and his merchandising is standalone, so we can't really demand a comic update.

However, such merchandising is derivated from the comic, so it's not like Rich's not doing his comic out of interest.

Ugh >.> It can be such a mess.

Nimrod's Son
2010-02-19, 05:46 AM
That example doesn't fit, either,
Not perfectly, no, but it's much closer than yours. :smalltongue:

In such circumstances, it has nothing to do with 'rights', as I explained. People WILL bitch about it because it's an aggravating situation and people bitch in aggravating situations.
SOME people will. I will continue to think them idiots for doing so. It's clear you're not one of them, but your "stick it to da man" attitude in this thread is a little perplexing.

As I said, we're ALL frustrated. But some of us took the time to read the forum rules before we started posting here. This is Rich's website, he doesn't want discussion of the update schedule and he's explained why. If you absolutely cannot live with that situation and must vent your spleen, go do it on one of the other message boards on different sites that discusses OotS - they're not hard to find - and spare everyone here from repeating ourselves.

Turkish Delight
2010-02-19, 05:48 AM
Well, it's going fine right now, but how much discussion can there really be about the update schedule beyond whether we, as fans, have any right to be impatient and angry?
Edit: I'm not suggesting we have a right.

I agree there's a limit to how much worthwhile can be extracted from it. There really isn't a lot to say on the subject: Rich'll update when he updates. But it's like picking at a scab when you've been told not to pick at it...

Ah well. The Giant apparently isn't the only one who has gone missing. I'm amazed this thread hasn't been nuked by Roland yet.

Lord Thurlvin
2010-02-19, 05:52 AM
Ah well. The Giant apparently isn't the only one who has gone missing. I'm amazed this thread hasn't been nuked by Roland yet.

I'm not an avid forum-goer, but I believe the appropriate phrase is "six-gunned." :smalltongue:

Math_Mage
2010-02-19, 05:59 AM
Frustration at update times is normal and fine.

Blaming the Giant for update times is silly and pointless.

Also, all this talk of eating is making me hungry. :smallwink:

Turkish Delight
2010-02-19, 06:01 AM
Not perfectly, no, but it's much closer than yours. :smalltongue:

Yeah? Well, now my amended example is much closer than yours. So neh neh neh. :smallsmile:

SOME people will. I will continue to think them idiots for doing so.

As I said, we're ALL frustrated. But some of us took the time to read the forum rules before we started posting here. This is Rich's website, he doesn't want discussion of the update schedule and he's explained why. If you absolutely cannot live with that situation and must vent your spleen, go do it on one of the other message boards on different sites that discusses OotS - they're not hard to find - and spare everyone here from repeating ourselves.

As I say, locks are perfectly justified; the forum would get horribly cluttered and boring to read if people were just endlessly whining about no new strips. But I just can't work myself up into scolding people or looking down on them for posting in frustration and speaking out loud the underlying current that exists in the forum here the past while. The forum rules might as well say, 'Thou shalt not mention the giant pink elephant in the corner!'; yeah, it'll keep discussion of the elephant down, but you can hardly blame the occasional person for coming along every once and awhile and saying, 'Jeez, what's up with the giant pink elephant in the corner!?'

Asta Kask
2010-02-19, 06:19 AM
mmm... pizza. What kind do you prefer?

On the OP, Neil Gaiman wrote something about this. (http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html)

Draconi Redfir
2010-02-19, 06:21 AM
It has been stated before, but Rich Burlew has ongoing health issues. We don't know exactly what they are (and that's the way he prefers it), but they are there and are presumably the main issue interfering with updates.

so you think we are allowed to theorize as to what his helth issues are?

Lord Thurlvin
2010-02-19, 06:23 AM

I'm fairly sure that's discouraged.

Asta Kask
2010-02-19, 06:26 AM

Nope. Read the FAQ.

Laurellien
2010-02-19, 06:27 AM
I suppose that the problem that many people have is the disparity between the way the comic used to operate and the way it operates now. Way back when, the Giant advertised a schedule, kept to within a few hours of that schedule, and when he couldn't keep it, he would at least apologise and explain to us why and gave us a funny little piece of art. Nowadays, he keeps no advertised schedule, and frequently misses even the vague schedule he has left with the moderators telling us that he is "ill, no further questions."

When he does post to explain to his waiting fans why he has been away, he gives vague references to an illness and says that he has now stopped doing new projects so he can focus more time on the comic. If he could just give us the occasional funny one-panel "sorry it's late, I'm ill," or, "It's on its way" comic like he used to do, then I think that much of the frustration building up on the boards would be dissipated.

Nimrod's Son
2010-02-19, 06:41 AM
A comic can't be late if there isn't an update schedule. And what part of "too ill to work" are people not getting? If he's too ill to make the comic then chances are he's too ill to make filler material, especially enough of it to keep people from moaning.

Rich pays the hosting costs for this site; he's entitled to dictate what people can or cannot discuss. This isn't some authoritarian government you've been born into, it's a website you've voluntarily signed up for. And the idea is, you read the forum rules BEFORE signing up. If for whatever reason you don't like or can't stick to those rules, you have no business signing up here in the first place, and you should expect other people to be a bit short with you when you post pointless, borderline-insulting threads like this.

Snake-Aes
2010-02-19, 06:43 AM
A comic can't be late if there isn't an update schedule.

We could spend a week or two on the tautology club.

Lord Thurlvin
2010-02-19, 06:48 AM
A comic can't be late if there isn't an update schedule.

Well, I suppose that I could die before the next one came out, and it would be "too late" for me to have seen it. Although I do agree with you about the schedule thing. I'm just trying to procrastinate, and it doesn't really matter what I say here anyway because the thread will be locked soon...

Teddy
2010-02-19, 07:08 AM
Well, I suppose that I could die before the next one came out, and it would be "too late" for me to have seen it. Although I do agree with you about the schedule thing. I'm just trying to procrastinate, and it doesn't really matter what I say here anyway because the thread will be locked soon...

Resisting urge to post arbitary tvtropes link. I will resist. Resist!

Puh, seems as if condemning you all to an infinite wiki walk (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WikiWalk) isn't as tempting so it can't be hand... *facepalm*

Lord Thurlvin
2010-02-19, 07:09 AM
Hah! Your trap has failed, Teddy! I will finish my essay on drawing comparisons between Othello and Symposium!

salinan
2010-02-19, 07:20 AM
Only people with unreasonable expectations. Everyone else understands that there is no entitlement for anyone to receive anything from Rich, illnesses and update schedules (or lack of them) notwithstanding. Unless someone would care to show a contract in which Rich promises to post updates?

Take some time off and do something else while you're waiting. I hope the people who are complaining have somewhat more of a life than just waiting for this webcomic to update.

TriForce
2010-02-19, 07:25 AM
....I make Rants man. I use swearwords.

fixed the first part

also, seeing your still here, it proves you find the waiting time acceptable enough, otherwise, you would simply not come here.

now, rich is making a comic, and he has 1 request in exchange for making that comic, and that is : read it and enjoy it, or dont come at all, both are fine, just dont whine about stuff thats not your buissness.
how often rich updates isntsomething you have the right to complain about, why rich updates as often or few as he does, its not your damn buisness.

if you dont like that, get the hell out. all the time you spend here ranting could have been spend on whatever webcomic you make.

Snake-Aes
2010-02-19, 07:30 AM
Only people with unreasonable expectations. Everyone else understands that there is no entitlement for anyone to receive anything from Rich, illnesses and update schedules (or lack of them) notwithstanding. Unless someone would care to show a contract in which Rich promises to post updates?

Take some time off and do something else while you're waiting. I hope the people who are complaining have somewhat more of a life than just waiting for this webcomic to update.

That's actually why it's so complicated. Rich cannot make a living of it if his readers go away, so there IS an interest in keeping the readers around.

Lord Thurlvin
2010-02-19, 07:49 AM
Hey, I just realized that it has been a while since I've seen so many locked threads on the front page. Hurry up Roland, I'm looking for a record!

Teddy
2010-02-19, 07:57 AM
Hey, I just realized that it has been a while since I've seen so many locked threads on the front page. Hurry up Roland, I'm looking for a record!

Nah, it was a month (or two) ago when comic update threads popped out of the ground in dozens. Roland had to reload and fire at the same time to get them all.[/exaggeration]

Exaggeration aside, there really were a lot of locked threads then. It certainly beats these numbers.

Souhiro
2010-02-19, 08:03 AM
Roland has been kidnapped by Redcloak and held into one of Gobbotopia's dungeons. But hopefully for her, help is in the way

rakkoon
2010-02-19, 08:23 AM
There's a genderbended Roland?

Rolanda?

*goes to look for her*

talkamancer
2010-02-19, 08:24 AM
Re: Remember When OOTS Updated?

Do YOU remember when these threads used to get locked ?

Turkish Delight
2010-02-19, 08:26 AM

Really, transcending the individual readers understandable frustration at the lack of updates, there IS a larger picture here. Even those without 'unreasonable expectations' will eventually realize the comic isn't being updated much at all anymore. When that happens, the non-fanatical readers will stop visiting, as the ratio of pleasure from new strips to disappointment at the lack of them (and the lack of explanation) tips towards the latter. As they stop visiting, less merchandise will be purchased and the comic will become less commercially viable.

That's a long way of saying: this is not a one-way street, as it is for the 99% of web comics that are done purely for the fun of it with no expectation of profit. There is no contract between ourselves and the Giant, true, but that runs the other way. If the Giant pays no heed whatsoever to customer dissatisfaction, he doesn't make any money. You can lecture all you like on how unreasonable people are for wanting Rich to supply a timely product, but I think he knows better than any of us that long gaps between comics are a bad thing, not a neutral thing, and if they keep up will only have a negative effect on the future of OotS.

It's for that reason I kind of raise an eyebrow at the people accusing Rich of laziness or whatever they think he's doing instead of making new comics. It's his business. Believe me, he's got a much more vested interest in producing new strips than any of us do in reading them. Whatever is delaying him is probably quite serious. But serious or no, if the comic appears to be dead, the readers aren't going to just keep coming.

Onyavar
2010-02-19, 08:28 AM
Yes, I also want to whine about the irreg... wait. No, I'm not whining. More... complaining about the irreg... wait. No, not complaining. I'll only mumble something that no-one will hear. mmmrrrbrmm mmuuummmmbbb.

Since it is futile. Well, I'm both not happy with the irreg... something, but I still understand why it is this way. It is still the greatest graphic novel in the Internet, people! (after Schlock, maybe, but still)

Have confidence, even this comic will ultimately be finished and I will enjoy every strip. And if the last strip will be posted in 2025, then so be it.

azzy
2010-02-19, 08:40 AM
Whining about someone for not working harder when they are sick (or have other personal stuff they are dealing with) doesn't make them more productive. It actually tends to have the opposite effect. Posting a thread like this because you want to see more comics? Might relieve some frustration, but you're really just shooting yourself in the foot.

(Hope that came out right, still learning English.)

salinan
2010-02-19, 08:53 AM
Really, transcending the individual readers understandable frustration at the lack of updates, there IS a larger picture here. Even those without 'unreasonable expectations' will eventually realize the comic isn't being updated much at all anymore. When that happens, the non-fanatical readers will stop visiting, as the ratio of pleasure from new strips to disappointment at the lack of them (and the lack of explanation) tips towards the latter. As they stop visiting, less merchandise will be purchased and the comic will become less commercially viable.
...Which is Rich's concern, and no business of anyone else. To put it bluntly.

Rawhide
2010-02-19, 09:03 AM
Yeah, uhm. Thread locked.

Oh, wait, I'm supposed to do that in red text or something.

Thread locked.

Or was I also supposed to use my mod name? I always forget these things.

The Hairy Modfather: Thread locked.