PDA

View Full Version : Disarmer (3.5)

PersonMan
2010-02-18, 11:53 PM
Alright, I've chosen to play a Flind Gnoll in an upcoming game. ECL 8, I've decided to make a dual-wielding disarming build. First things first, I want to boost my disarming bonus. So far, I have:
-+7 Strength(max, game-specific reasons)
-+4 feat(Impv'd Disarm)
-+2 Weapon(Flindbar, dual-wielding)
+5 BAB(fighter/racial HD, presumably, maybe paladin if Cha looks good)
For a total of +17. Can I boost this any higher?
I have access to Core+MM3-5, Drow of the Underdark, SpC, Fiendish Codex I+II, and Complete Arcane.

I know the build is suboptimal, but I'd like to stick as close to it as I can, due to the character concept. I'm also relatively set on playing a Flind at this point.

ericgrau
2010-02-19, 12:02 AM
Sais give a +4, though some try to argue that being a light weapon cancels that out... on a weapon described historically and by WotC to be a major disarming weapon. Anyway check with your DM first. If allowed then youmight also try monk to flurry sais for an extra disarm attempt at the expense of some BAB and/or AB. OTOH TWF may already make enough of a trade there.

Besides that and what you have listed, a size bonus would be great. Some potions of enlarge person would help there. If psionics are allowed then a half giant psychic warrior with expansion can effectively get 3 size boost for a +12, which is just nuts. If the campaign were nothing but medium sized armed foes, it could get downright broken. Boosting your attack rolls also helps, which means weapon focus, a magic weapon or a greater magic weapon spell and heroism all help.

Gan The Grey
2010-02-19, 01:31 AM
How abouts you just use Large sais? That would effectively make them a one-handed weapon, removing the penalty for being light and increasing their base damage.

Unless I'm wrong of course.

drengnikrafe
2010-02-19, 01:36 AM
Take a level in rogue, get some good UMD ranks, and invest in a wand of grease?

Teron
2010-02-19, 02:43 AM
Are the books you listed all that's allowed or just what you have? If it's the latter, I'll second the suggestion to go psychic warrior, which is in the SRD. Expansion and psionic lion's charge alone would help you immensely.

How abouts you just use Large sais? That would effectively make them a one-handed weapon, removing the penalty for being light and increasing their base damage.

Unless I'm wrong of course.
You'd take a -2 penalty for using weapons one size category away from yours, so it's inferior to flindbars in almost every way.

faceroll
2010-02-19, 03:52 AM
If you go cleric or druid, you can get wood (use one of the metal-wood special substances in eberron or faerun) weapons, which you can put the spike spell on. This doubles threat range and gives you +1 damage/CL. 3rd level spell, hours/level duration. Eberron has a wood that, for 2x the master work cost of a weapon, let's you make a bludgeoning weapon from it.

DonDuckie
2010-02-19, 04:57 AM
The half-ogre from 'Races of Destiny' is large and has +6 strength, but it also has -2 int and +2 ECL,.

(I have a tripping/disarming TWF ranger/tempest(CAd). *tactical fighting rules*)

Devils_Advocate
2010-02-19, 05:34 PM
You could use a dire flail instead of a flind bar. It gives a total bonus of +6 instead of just +2 to disarming (since it's a two-handed weapon), and can be used to make trip attacks. Being enlarged increases your attack rolls to disarm opponents by +4 per size category. Beyond that, there's any of the normal (or obscure) things that increase a character's attack bonus.

Combat Reflexes might be a good feat. Since you decided to go with dual-wielding, I assume that you want lots of attacks.

Sais give a +4, though some try to argue that being a light weapon cancels that out... on a weapon described historically and by WotC to be a major disarming weapon.
It does. A sai is a light weapon that's as good for disarming as a one-handed weapon (in D&D 3.5. I know jack about actual weapons). The quarterstaff is the special Monk weapon to use for disarming, since it's two-handed.

The half-ogre from 'Races of Destiny' is large and has +6 strength, but it also has -2 int and +2 ECL,.
Huh? Shouldn't that be "Half-ogres get Large size and +6 Strength for only +2 ECL"? I'm pretty sure that they're the cheapest Large race there is.

Going from flind to half-ogre gets you -4 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha, the Giant type, Large size and 10 foot reach, +2 Natural Armor, and two fewer racial hit dice. To give a half-ogre even more reach, give him a spiked chain. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0216.html)

Compared to a flind with a dire flail, a half-ogre with a spiked chain has a smaller maximum number of attacks per round but controls a considerably larger area of the battlefield (even if the flind is enlarged to Large size).