PDA

View Full Version : permanency and reincarnate

vampiricshaman
2010-02-19, 01:00 AM
i was wondering if someone dies and then gets reincarnated do any spells they previously had permanently cast upon them continue to work?

unre9istered
2010-02-19, 01:03 AM
With reincarnate, I'd say no because a new body is grown and the spells were cast on the old body. With resurrection of the original body, it would depend on whether an object is an applicable target for the permanent spell. Spells that can only target creatures would end when the creature becomes an object. PaO would have to worry about this as well.

Douglas
2010-02-19, 01:07 AM
Spells that can only target creatures would end when the creature becomes an object.
There is no actual rule to that effect to my fairly extensive knowledge, and the FAQ says otherwise.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2010-02-19, 01:13 AM
This sounds sort of like something you would have to work out with your DM.
But the major question asked, is a corpse, and object? Technically yes. But I don't think it's an object in the sense that spell effects work.
And corpse is an object, but it's still your body.
In the case of resurrection I think most Dms would rule the spells stay on.
But in the case of reincarnate, the spells stay on the body, that they were cast on. Spells are cast on a body, not necessarily the PC's "soul".

Hope that helps solve any problem you're having, once again this is just the way I'd rule it, some Dm's may say the same, others won't. If you're having the problem in the game you're set with two options: If you're running, do what makes sense. It's magic after all. If it's your PC, talk to your DM.

vampiricshaman
2010-02-19, 08:11 AM
well if you go with the whole it's cast on the body the body is still there and is still being used to remake a new body with the materials already there. i'm just trying to get an idea of what other people think about this.

Saph
2010-02-19, 08:24 AM
There is no actual rule to that effect to my fairly extensive knowledge, and the FAQ says otherwise.

Yeah, the designers never took the time to clarify it. I find that using the Magic: The Gathering rules makes the most sense here; spells "fall off" as soon as they're attached to an illegal target.

Alternatively, you can rule that they just become inactive as long as the target's no longer the right type anymore; in this case, they'd return to active status with a resurrection and possibly even with a reincarnate.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-19, 08:42 AM
Still there but surpressed is something that has good arguments for it...it happens in other situations, like an AMF.

I've played around with MTG rules for various things, and it can be interesting. Counterspelling, and using spells in response to other things, for example. It makes combat quite interesting.