PDA

View Full Version : Feats without character investment

Tyndmyr
2010-02-19, 10:54 AM
Yknow...we've got the location feats, from complete scoundrel.

There's also the elder evils, though I dunno where they are from.

Anything else?

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-19, 11:00 AM
Elder Evils are from their namesake book.

Taint gives bonus feats. You very rarely have to build around avoiding the drawbacks or maximum Taint values.

Everyman
2010-02-19, 01:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe there is another set of locations that grant feats. I want to say its in the DMG II. That, and I think some of the organizations in that book also grant bonus feats by having a good affiliation score.

Boci
2010-02-19, 01:21 PM
Sell your soul to a devil. FC II.

drengnikrafe
2010-02-19, 01:26 PM
Couldn't you just take flaws that don't negatively influence your character in any way that actually matters?

JoshuaZ
2010-02-19, 01:29 PM
Yknow...we've got the location feats, from complete scoundrel.

There's also the elder evils, though I dunno where they are from.

Anything else?

Sandstorm has additional location feats I think.

The Random NPC
2010-02-19, 01:37 PM
If I remember correctly, flaws that don't negatively affect you in a way that matters don't grant a feat.

JoshuaZ
2010-02-19, 01:39 PM
If I remember correctly, flaws that don't negatively affect you in a way that matters don't grant a feat.

Unfortunately there's no RAW that says that just common sense. There's a note in UA that when making new flaws one should be careful not to make flaws which are overly specific. It also notes that the penalties from a flaw should be larger than the bonuses generally given from a feat.

But as written, I can take a flaw that doesn't substantially impact me usually and then a feat. DMs might not always let you do this but that's a distinct issue.

deuxhero
2010-02-19, 01:43 PM
@The Random NPC
You are thinking of nWoD (Or that GURPs GMs are encourged to subtract the benifit of roleplaying disadvantages from awarded points if they aren't roleplayed).

The Random NPC
2010-02-19, 01:58 PM
Good to know.

faceroll
2010-02-19, 02:23 PM
You could always visit the Otyugh Hole multiple times, Chaos Shuffling away the feats it grants.

The Bite of X line of spells grant you feats, as does the spell Heroics. There are some items that grant feats, as well. One of the ioun stones does, and night sticks, too.

Pandaren
2010-02-19, 02:26 PM
I think he means flaws that don't affect his character, or the storyline particularly. If you are running a kick-in-the-door campaign, a negative to diplomacy or haggling abilities doesn't really matter.

The Random NPC
2010-02-19, 03:00 PM
I meant that as well. Most DMs I've played with has a rule, if the penalty never comes up, you don’t get the feat.

Person_Man
2010-02-19, 03:26 PM
Many magic items (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/feats.html) also grant feats.

The Hellbred race (Fiendish Codex II) get's the Devil's Favor feat for free, and if you take the "Body" aspect of the race you get an additional devil touched feat at 4 HD and 14 HD. (There are only 6 devil touched feats though, and they suck except for specific situations).

Vow of Poverty grants you bonus Exalted feats, but they also mostly suck.

deuxhero
2010-02-19, 09:55 PM
Thanks Person Man, wondering where that list was.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-19, 10:24 PM
You could always visit the Otyugh Hole multiple times, Chaos Shuffling away the feats it grants.

The Bite of X line of spells grant you feats, as does the spell Heroics. There are some items that grant feats, as well. One of the ioun stones does, and night sticks, too.

But that lowers your WPL as magical location do affect your WPL. Although, 3K is a low amount.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-02-19, 10:33 PM
I have this whole handbook on how to get into PrC's as soon as possible

Feats are one of those restrictions, so I have a whole section on PBMC's Free Feat Diet (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7061.0) :smalltongue:

I put this recourse to very good use for my latest build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142554).

faceroll
2010-02-20, 03:30 PM
But that lowers your WPL as magical location do affect your WPL. Although, 3K is a low amount.

3k gp and 400xp is wonderfully cheap for getting more feats.

Kylarra
2010-02-20, 03:36 PM

The Bite of X line of spells grant you feats, as does the spell Heroics. There are some items that grant feats, as well. One of the ioun stones does, and night sticks, too.One could argue that you could visit multiple Otyugh Holes to receive a new feat each time, but strictly speaking, you can only benefit from it once, as Otyugh hole does not have any information saying that you can benefit from the site more than once.

faceroll
2010-02-20, 03:46 PM
One could argue that you could visit multiple Otyugh Holes to receive a new feat each time, but strictly speaking, you can only benefit from it once, as Otyugh hole does not have any information saying that you can benefit from the site more than once.

All the sites have text about whether or not a site can be visited multiple times, though.

Kylarra
2010-02-20, 03:50 PM
All the sites have text about whether or not a site can be visited multiple times, though.And Otyugh Hole does not have text saying that you can benefit from it multiple times, so it reverts to the default of "no". In fact, iirc, Otyugh Hole specifically mentions that a great number of people using it would cause it to become useless and you'd lose the benefits.