PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't rich sell OOTS posters/prints?

Orran
2010-02-19, 03:09 PM
I've just had a thought, there are many iconic splash pages in OOTS, V's turning, roy's resurrection, belkar being a sexy shoeless god of war, even xykon's 'to azure city!' page. I would pay handsomely for a good sized print or poster that I could hang on my wall, and I think others would too.
So why doesn't rich sell them? Any ideas?

Ancalagon
2010-02-19, 03:13 PM
He's busy making the comic, of course. Or working on other stuff.

He usually does not announce stuff before it's done, so he could either be doing nothing or be working heavily on a prequel-book... and we would not know.

Orran
2010-02-19, 03:35 PM
I don't think that really answers the question, it's likely that rich has most of the comics in high resolution, and converting them into a poster/print format would take very little effort, then it's just a matter of sending them to your chosen manufacturer and putting them in the shop.
Yes, it is work, but it is relatively simple and would be very rewarding.

Conuly
2010-02-19, 03:40 PM
So that people with nothing to say would have something to talk about ;)

Daefos
2010-02-19, 04:34 PM
I don't think that really answers the question, it's likely that rich has most of the comics in high resolution, and converting them into a poster/print format would take very little effort, then it's just a matter of sending them to your chosen manufacturer and putting them in the shop.
Yes, it is work, but it is relatively simple and would be very rewarding.

That is, of course, assuming your blind assumptions about Rich's work habits and the simplicity of poster manufacturing are correct. And assuming there's a large enough demand to justify starting an entirely new product line. And assuming that the whole operation would be profitable in the long run.

But yeah, those issues aside, there's no reason for him to not be selling them. :smalltongue:

Ancalagon
2010-02-19, 04:59 PM
You might start with a small batch and get them "printed on demand", though. Costs like 10 euro for a quite decent print here, throw in shipping, packing, some plus, and you might get it for 20. If it works out, you can get more, if not... you lost nothing.

But I'm also not that sure about the "demand". And posters are a quite obvious choice so I'd assume there's not that much demand (you (well, not you and I, obviously ;)) could value that based on how many shirts/coffee-mugs get sold).

RecklessFable
2010-02-19, 05:41 PM
Considering the print quality of the books is pretty good, you could just slice out a few pages and frame them "in their original size"

The art doesn't really lend itself to 24"x36" IMO...

Roland St. Jude
2010-02-19, 05:51 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Only The Shadow Giant knows. And he really doesn't appreciate people speculating/investigating/second-guessing/etc. his business. His reasons are his own. If he shares them you can read all about it on the News Page.