PDA

View Full Version : Spellfire

Kesnit
2010-02-19, 03:12 PM
I have never seen spellfire in play. (I don't even know what book it is in.) My only exposure to it is a mod in NWN1 and the trilogy of books about it. (I'm almost done with book 1.) However, I have always thought it was a cool concept.

Does anyone have experience playing in a game with a spellfire wielder? Does it work well, or is another one of Wizard's goofs?

hamishspence
2010-02-19, 03:14 PM
The books are Magic of Faerun, and Players Guide to Faerun for the epic version.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-02-19, 03:16 PM
mechanicaly its bad...

you need to ready an action to absorb spells....

Honestly i think it should be an imidiate action to absorbe spells if you don't ready an action
that way you loose a swift but your whole round isn't wasted.

BlckDv
2010-02-19, 03:18 PM
If they had printed the cards on half decent stock, spent time playtesting for balance, or otherwise made an effort to not look like a desperate grab for M:tG players, Spellfire could have been great. I just ended up using them a stock art props for NPC portraits and treasure, mostly. I did get a great laugh out of the cards that depending on real world conditions (like time of day), though. :smallwink:

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-19, 03:19 PM
Spellfire would be good if mixed properly with psionics. Synchronicity abuse would let spellfire be actually useful, and using schism to protect you from spells would be nice as well.

Unfortunately, there are too many spells and other effects that bypass spellfire completely, and wasting actions on absorbing spells (that may or may not be cast, and that may or may not actually be spellfireable) is wasting actions.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-02-19, 03:22 PM
If they had printed the cards on half decent stock, spent time playtesting for balance, or otherwise made an effort to not look like a desperate grab for M:tG players, Spellfire could have been great. I just ended up using them a stock art props for NPC portraits and treasure, mostly. I did get a great laugh out of the cards that depending on real world conditions (like time of day), though. :smallwink:

O **** forgot about the card game... It was that bad?

BlckDv
2010-02-19, 03:27 PM
O **** forgot about the card game... It was that bad?

You win a free internet for catching the reference.

Yeah; it was really bad. I was a total TSR fanboy in the day and spent hours trying to prove that it was cooler/better than Magic... but I knew it my heart I was wrong.

As a purely for fun way to play around mixing elements of several 2nd edition settings in a "face off" it could be an amusing diversion, but as a serious game to plan decks and build strategy for; it was awful.

Oh, and don't forget the cardstock quality... the cards were notably lighter weight than standard playing cards, and had very poor waterproofing, a spilled glass of water could ruin a whole play area in moments.