PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Get Certain Spells

craverguy
2010-02-19, 06:05 PM
So, if I ever get into another 3rd Edition D&D game, I'm thinking that my next character should be a Dread Necromancer (from the book Heroes of Horror). However, there is one tweak I'd like to figure out how to eventually make before I commit to the class.

The Dread Necromancer has a rather unique way of casting spells: he's a spontaneous arcane spellcaster who has a preset spell list from which to choose at any time. In other words, he combines the best of both arcane and divine spellcasting in one character. The tradeoff, however, is that his spell list isn't as long as a cleric's, and there are some holes in his magic.

One particularly glaring hole in the spell list: while the Dread Necromancer can cast both Lesser Planar Binding and Planar Binding, he cannot cast either Dimensional Anchor or any of the Magic Circle Against spells. In other words, two whole spells on his list are basically useless because they don't come with certain prerequisites.

So, I want to find some way to get Dimensional Anchor and Magic Circle Against. First, I figured I could just turn myself undead using the necropolitan template, then spellstitch them. Then I remembered that spellstitching doesn't work for Abjuration spells (also, any plan that depends on the indulgence of the DM to let me play an undead PC may well be doomed to failure). Plan B: take the Arcane Disciple feat, and take the Evil Domain. On the pro side, it will net me Magic Circle Against Good. On the con side, Magical Circle Against Good doesn't work on fiends (ironic, isn't it, that the Evil Domain doesn't help you summon evil creatures?) and I still wouldn't have Dimensional Anchor.

So, any thoughts on how to net Magic Circle Against Evil and Dimensional Anchor without taking seven levels in another spellcasting class?

Godskook
2010-02-19, 06:40 PM
Rainbow servant, as cheesy as it is, could solve your problems handily if your DM gives you the RAW version(I.e. 10/10 casting), although I'm not familiar enough with Dread Necro to know if the alignment restrictions are compatible or not.

Flickerdart
2010-02-19, 06:43 PM
You could create an Undead with high CHA and have it UMD scrolls for you.

craverguy
2010-02-19, 06:45 PM
I'm sorry, I'm not up on the acronyms. UMD? RAW?

absolmorph
2010-02-19, 07:01 PM
Use Magic Device, Read As Worded.

craverguy
2010-02-19, 07:03 PM
Ah. Thanks.

I guess the undead thing is what I'd have to go with. I couldn't be a Rainbow Servant, since they're required to be nonevil and nonchaotic, while Dread Necromancers are required to be nongood. Leaves me exactly two alignment choices, neither of which I think I'd do well at.

Godskook
2010-02-19, 07:11 PM
Use Magic Device, Read As Worded.

I thought RAW = Rules as written, although either works.

Eldariel
2010-02-19, 07:14 PM

This is correct. RAW means Rules as Written, common baseline for online conversation since it's difficult to have meaningful discussion when every party brings up their own houserules and you realize everyone simply speaks of different things.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-19, 07:15 PM
You could create an Undead with high CHA and have it UMD scrolls for you.

I have a high level Mystic Theurge. I need to make use of things like this. Thanks.

Dimers
2010-02-20, 01:56 AM

Take a look here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124685); it's a list of generally useful threads in this forum, including "Common Acronyms, Abbreviations, and Terms". Very handy for learning the lingo.

About learning magic circle against evil and dimensional anchor -- see if your DM is willing to let you use the Extra Spell feat from CArc (Complete Arcane) twice to learn them; that's an expensive but straightforward way of handling it. Otherwise, I'd recommend learning UMD yourself. It's an awfully handy skill regardless of class. There are feats and even classes here and there which let you learn skills as if they were class skills. For example, if you're playing a human, you could take three levels of human paragon to get one feat, one ability score of your choice +2, two levels of spellcasting advancement, and one skill that you always thereafter treat as a class skill.

absolmorph
2010-02-20, 03:42 AM
You're right, but it conveys the same meaning.

Glimbur
2010-02-20, 11:12 AM
Check out Runestaves from MiC and Drake Helms from... Eberron Explorer's Handbook or something like that, if my sources are to be trusted. A Runestaff of Entrapment gets you Dimensional Anchor. A quick scan didn't reveal a runestaff that gives magic circle v evil, but you could possibly use a Horn of Goodness/Evil for that.

magic9mushroom
2010-02-20, 11:19 AM
Plan B: take the Arcane Disciple feat, and take the Evil Domain. On the pro side, it will net me Magic Circle Against Good. On the con side, Magical Circle Against Good doesn't work on fiends (ironic, isn't it, that the Evil Domain doesn't help you summon evil creatures?) and I still wouldn't have Dimensional Anchor.

So, any thoughts on how to net Magic Circle Against Evil and Dimensional Anchor without taking seven levels in another spellcasting class?

You've answered your own question. Arcane Disciple can be taken more than once - find a domain that gives Dimensional Anchor.

Optimystik
2010-02-20, 11:37 AM
You've answered your own question. Arcane Disciple can be taken more than once - find a domain that gives Dimensional Anchor.

Portal domain does, IIRC.

BenTheJester
2010-02-20, 12:23 PM
The Warmage gets Eclectic Learning, which replaces his Advanced Learning.

Eclectic Learning let's you learn any spell you want. But the maximum spell level has to be 1 level lower than what you would have gotten with Advanced Learning.

Although it is a Warmage Alternative Class Feature, both Dread Necromancer and Warmage have the same Advanced Learning class feature(with different schools), so it'd be logical if it would work with your DN.

BenTheJester
2010-02-20, 01:13 PM
Check out Runestaves from MiC and Drake Helms from... Eberron Explorer's Handbook or something like that, if my sources are to be trusted. A Runestaff of Entrapment gets you Dimensional Anchor. A quick scan didn't reveal a runestaff that gives magic circle v evil, but you could possibly use a Horn of Goodness/Evil for that.

The way a Runestaff works, you HAVE to have the spell on you spell list and it uses a spell slot to cast a spell, so it is basically useless for a class like Dread Necromancer which automatically knows all his spells.

There aren't any mention of using UMD for using Runestaves.

AbyssKnight
2010-02-22, 08:36 PM
See if you can access Nar Demonbinder (PrC from Unapproachable East, a Forgotten Realms book)

Jacob Orlove
2010-02-22, 08:42 PM
Just cast the Planar Binding, kill the creature you summon, and animate it. Outsiders make great Undead, because they get a lot of power for their hit dice.

holywhippet
2010-02-22, 08:50 PM
The Magic circle against X spells are only third level meaning they can be brewed into potions. Hire a spellcaster to brew some up for you or find somewhere that sells them.

For dimensional anchor you could buy some dimensional shackles or have them made for you.

Jack_Simth
2010-02-22, 09:02 PM
So, any thoughts on how to net Magic Circle Against Evil and Dimensional Anchor without taking seven levels in another spellcasting class?You have a couple of options.

Ask the party Cleric to do it - there's no requirement that the same person who handles the Planar Binding also handles the other spells needed.

Use feats (such as Extra Spell or Arcane Disciple) to grab them.

Take levels in the Mage of the Arcane Order prestige class (in Complete Arcane - you'll need: Arcane Preparation (Complete Arcane), Cooperative Spell (Metamagic - Complete Arcane), and some other metamagic feat) and Call the spells from the Spellpool.

Pick up a Ring of Spell Storing and a Minor Ring of spell storing (or one Major Ring of Spell Storing), and hire someone to cast the two spells your missing into the rings.

I'm sure there's other methods.