PDA

View Full Version : making the step from 3.5 to pathfinder

vanyell
2010-02-19, 06:49 PM
I am now just starting playing in a PF campaign, at level 3. I have played quite a bit of 3.5, and want to know if there is anything super important I must know to survive this.

also, and probably more importantly, we do not have a cleric or druid, and I seem to be the only one with ranks in UMD for healing. Any suggestions on how a classless were-jaguar can keep a whole party alive?

Yora
2010-02-19, 06:58 PM
I'd just advice to read everything you want to use carefully. Obviously, there are few really new things, but many slightly altered things, so it's easy to overlook changes. But I think you can mix and match both systems in any way you like, so there shouldn't be any problem if you do some things in the 3.5e way, even though there's a new rule for the same thing in PF.

Grommen
2010-02-19, 08:57 PM
Clerics ability to heal without need of spells is really kool. It does seem to depend on peoples interpenetration of the ability weather it heals all living things or just your side. Als

o all the domains have kool little powers added to your character as well as special spells.

Read up on the combat manuevers. They will come up in your game.

And you will have to re-read all your favorite spells, cause I'm finding a lot of them got a tweek here or their.

It's still 3.5 D&D though, you'll pick things up quickly. We all have.

subject42
2010-02-19, 09:10 PM
I'm not 100% certain, but I believe you can use a healing kit and the heal skill to reclaim a few lost hitpoints. It'll be under the Heal section of the skills chapter.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-19, 09:16 PM
Clerics ability to heal without need of spells is really kool. It does seem to depend on peoples interpenetration of the ability weather it heals all living things or just your side. Als

Um, it doesn't let you choose. It heals all creatures in area. That includes bad guys unless undead (they get hurt).

subject42
2010-02-19, 09:18 PM
Um, it doesn't let you choose. It heals all creatures in area. That includes bad guys unless undead (they get hurt).

The Selective Channeling feat will let you get around it.

Gametime
2010-02-19, 09:25 PM
In-combat healing isn't much of a better idea in Pathfinder than it was in 3.5, anyway. Using Channel Energy after the fight is usually a better idea, unless you're really not picky about feats.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-19, 09:40 PM
In-combat healing isn't much of a better idea in Pathfinder than it was in 3.5, anyway. Using Channel Energy after the fight is usually a better idea, unless you're really not picky about feats.

Well, to be fair, it is mass cure Light/Med wound at low levels (better than than later). It might be useful against multiple undead and wounded allies, but yeah, it isn't a huge benefit.

vanyell
2010-02-19, 10:34 PM
Thank you for the advice so far. I'm looking more for out of combat healing, and how to do it with 3 whole ranks in UMD and only a +1 cha bonus