PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Characters Question (4e)

Haven
2010-02-19, 08:09 PM
Are hybrid characters based on the rules in Dragon 383 RPGA-legal? I was invited to an RPGA game this weekend and I wanted to try out this Sorcerer|Paladin idea I've had in mind for a while that is probably not nearly as effective as I think it is.

mathewt
2010-02-19, 08:43 PM
The updated stuff should be, since it's "PHB3 Debut" content. I seem to remember that the new article doesn't have the "not RPGA legal" bit in it like the playtest article did.

Haven
2010-02-20, 12:55 PM
Thanks!

So here's what I'm trying to do: take advantage of Divine Challenge and Burning Spray, creating sort of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for the enemy. This has a few problems. AC is an issue, as is the fact that "if the enemy attacks you, they take fire damage equal to strength" is dependent on the Dragon Magic class feature, meaning I have to take Hybrid Talent to use that.

I'm going Dragonborn, taking 18 in both Strength and Charisma, but now I'm wondering if I should switch to Human in order to have an extra Sorc At-Will that I can use without worrying about catching teammates in the blast. Also, I'd get an extra feat, which would be handy.

It'd probably be more optimal to just not do this, grab Hybrid Talent to gain Paladin armor proficiency and pick something else for my Sorcerer at-will, but I like this concept. Is this a terrible idea? My AC and HP aren't too great--25 and 14 respectively. (At level 1)

Incidentally, my Paladin at-will is Ardent Strike--taking advantage of the fact that nothing says Divine Sanction gets reduced in effectiveness.