PDA

View Full Version : Love you guys

Froogleyboy
2010-02-19, 08:29 PM
All right, Today I woke up and rushed to the school bus. Well when I got to school, I was tortured. Like usual. A constent stream of insults were thrown at me all day. Someone stole my newly-purchased D20 modern core book and I had to let them smack me around for them to give it back. Two teachers called me a drug addict and a satanist (and took up my quartz crystal because they thought I'd "hex" them) When I got home, my mom kept up with the stream of insults, saying I'm "strange" "odd", etc. So I got on my bike and rode to my grandmaws. From there I logged on to the internet when I realised "Forget them! I'm goin' to the playground" So I just wanted to say that I love you guys. Y'all really help me escape reality.

thubby
2010-02-19, 08:40 PM
well all us weirdos had to go somewhere :smalltongue:

do you go to a private school or something?

Froogleyboy
2010-02-19, 08:58 PM
nope. a public school

Crimmy
2010-02-19, 09:04 PM
Well, even if they call you names, and punch you and stuff, remember:

Revenge will be slow, painful, and sweet. Completely merciless, too.

Nevermind that, I think we all love you too. It's nice to know we have a place to escape reality.

Flickerdart
2010-02-19, 09:07 PM
Yeah, we're pretty awesome, huh. :smalltongue:

Aren't there any awesome people at your school? There's got to be some. At any rate, once you get to university, there will be a whole bunch, but see what you can do in the meantime.

babeeroniea
2010-02-19, 09:11 PM
I feel weird cause i never played DnD before. I am not allowed which i dont really mind i really never had any interest in it... But i enjoy reading oots for the fights and comedy. i dont understand the DnD stuff that is tied in there. I love this forum too. everyone is so nice and really no one thinks your a nerd here. I realized that i was a geek a long time ago but here i am pretty normal.

EDIT: I am not allowed to play DnD my mom is a christian and normally is pretty cool with these things i dont know why this is different.

Crispy Dave
2010-02-19, 09:12 PM
I had a similar day, but I actually for the first time in a while hit back and got a Saturday school tomorrow :( .

Maximum Zersk
2010-02-19, 09:14 PM
Ouch, man. That's sucks.

Well, like Crimmy said, revenge will be slow and painful.

But honestly people still believe in that Demon-worshipping gamers crap? I mean, you come to expect stuff like beating people up with a game manual from kids, but the teachers and you mother should know better! Honestly!

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-19, 09:15 PM
Ok, dude. Kick in the junk, bite the jugular, go for the eyes, but if you're gonna be reviled for something, and called odd and weird, be the crazy kid that you Do. Not. Screw. With.

For all I know you ARE hooked on hell's acid, but don't take that crap. From anyone.

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-19, 09:16 PM
Well hey, It'll be worth it when you go to McDonlads one day and they ask if you want fries with that.

I'm so quotable.

Do what I do, laugh in their face.

babeeroniea
2010-02-19, 09:16 PM
For all I know you ARE hooked on hell's acid, but don't take that crap. From anyone.

Sigged if ya dont mind.

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-19, 09:18 PM
Oo, oo, Pretend to hex someone! Laugh Maniachly!

babeeroniea
2010-02-19, 09:19 PM
okay this is the last time i make something in this thread part of my sig... But i must do this one.

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-19, 09:21 PM
I'm so quotable.

:smallwink:

Maximum Zersk
2010-02-19, 09:21 PM

Considering the teachers are dumb enough to believe something like that, I say go for it.

I say do what Vorpal says. (But not what he does!)

Froogleyboy, you may be a freak, but your OUR freak, no matter HOW cheesy and awkward that sounds.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-19, 09:22 PM
Heck yeah! :smallamused:

But not the 'starts collecting Ammo Illustrated' crazy kid. None of that.

Respect. That's all.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-19, 09:24 PM
I don't find it cheezy and akward, I think it's the best thing I've heard today

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-19, 09:25 PM
Bibbity bobbity boo! :smallfurious:

:smalltongue:

babeeroniea
2010-02-19, 09:25 PM
Considering the teachers are dumb enough to believe something like that, I say go for it.

Froogleyboy, you may be a freak, but your OUR freak, no matter HOW cheesy and awkward that sounds.

Dude do you seriously know how hard it is to keep with that i am not sigging this thread thing?

FREAKS UNITE!!!

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-19, 09:29 PM
We should all visit his school wearing our Rennaisance Festivle outfits.

Moff Chumley
2010-02-19, 09:30 PM
Carry around a crowbar with your backpack. I'm not kidding.

OOH! OOH! CAN I BRING MY KEYTAR!?

Froogleyboy
2010-02-19, 09:30 PM

Totally man!

Don Julio Anejo
2010-02-19, 09:31 PM
Ok, dude. Kick in the junk, bite the jugular, go for the eyes, but if you're gonna be reviled for something, and called odd and weird, be the crazy kid that you Do. Not. Screw. With.

Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes!!!

Mando Knight
2010-02-19, 09:50 PM
nope. a public school

See, what you should have done, first day of class, was to announce boldly, "I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders or espers here, come join me. That is all."

Moff Chumley
2010-02-19, 09:52 PM
See, what you should have done, first day of class, was to announce boldly, "I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders or espers here, come join me. That is all."

This is also an option. :smalltongue:

Maximum Zersk
2010-02-19, 09:53 PM

You DO know what would happen if he did that, right? He'd join up with a member of the opposite sex and make a school club based on trying to find aliens, time travellers, and espers, while the other three members of the club are an alien, a time traveller, and an esper. Then the member of the opposite sex will find out from them that froogleyboy can change, create, and destroy reality at will, and goes at all cost to stop froogley from finding out, lest he destroys this universe and creates a new one.

Dogmantra
2010-02-19, 09:55 PM
You DO know what would happen if he did that, right? He'd join up with a member of the opposite sex and make a school club based on trying to find aliens, time travellers, and espers, while the other three members of the club are an alien, a time traveller, and an esper. Then the member of the opposite sex will find out from them that froogleyboy can change, create, and destroy reality at will, and goes at all cost to stop froogley from finding out, lest he destroys this universe and creates a new one.

Hmmm... That all seems rather... Melancholy, wouldn't you agree?

Felixaar
2010-02-19, 09:57 PM
I think the greatest thing about the playground is that the occasional "I love this place, I love you all" thread pops up regularly.

Hell Puppi
2010-02-19, 10:14 PM
Agreed....

and I love you all too. :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2010-02-19, 10:18 PM
Before class, fill the chalkboard with mysterious-looking runes. Deny everything, but look shifty about it, like you're hiding something. See how far you can get them to go without outright lying.

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-19, 10:24 PM
Oh. My. God!!!

THAC0

Guess what? The school I work at is so awesome, that we made a mini renn faire in the gym for our kids one day.

RandomNPC
I'd sugest reading some comics i've read, but the teachers sound the type to confiscate them and put you in counciling. Guy basicly has issues, my faveorate line is "Moo Moo Moo I am Voo Doo Cursing You!"

Also, you are the playgrounds odd one, just like the rest of us. We are the playground, you will be assimilated into the playground, your personality and memories will be assimilated into our own, resistance is futile.

As you have shown you already know, the playground supports all of us, and don't sweat school, once high school is over you go to higher education or get a job, and those places actually enforce the rules about treating people with respect. But you already have all our respect.

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-19, 10:27 PM
In the spirit of assimilation, I've linked my freind Chase to the sight. He loves oots now.

Moff Chumley
2010-02-19, 11:12 PM
You know what I love? Sicillian Pizza, the square kind. :smallsmile:

We need more Sicilian Pizza threads.

The Bushranger
2010-02-19, 11:22 PM
But honestly people still believe in that Demon-worshipping gamers crap? I mean, you come to expect stuff like beating people up with a game manual from kids, but the teachers and you mother should know better! Honestly!

Yes, yes they do. My mom among them. All the "Chick Tract" D&D stuff you (and I) laugh about? She believes all of it. >.<

thubby
2010-02-20, 12:32 AM
we're the borg now :smallconfused: I'm hardly dressed for the occasion.

rakkoon
2010-02-20, 01:38 AM
Escaping reality, when you do it full-time, it's not healthy.
If you do it with a litlle restraint, nothing's finer :smallsmile:

Lord Blace
2010-02-20, 01:52 AM

Heh. My mother thought d&d was all cultish and demon-worshipping and junk, until I convinced her to let us have a session at the house. I like to quote what she told me afterwards. Ahem, "That's not demonic, that's just STUPID." :smallbiggrin:
It amuses me so.

Xyk
2010-02-20, 02:18 AM
Love you too, man.

And if you live in America, try wearing a trench coat to school. All your peers will assume you will pull a columbine (sp?) and leave you alone. I wear a trench coat to school daily (because it's cold outside), and I'm told i look way more threatening.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-02-20, 09:41 AM
Well, really, D&D is pretty stupid. A buch of older people pretending to be wizards and rogues and casting spells to slay the dragon and obtain phat l00t?
No wonder people think its weird.

Although, FroogleyBoy, what's happening to you happened to me once, and life pretty much sucked. I mean, my parents still loved me, but the people who made fun of me let me think they were my friends for the better part of 2 years before I found out they hated me.

All I can say is, life will get better. Sometimes you just have to wait a bit for it.

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-02-20, 11:08 AM
All right, Today I woke up and rushed to the school bus. Well when I got to school, I was tortured. Like usual. A constent stream of insults were thrown at me all day. Someone stole my newly-purchased D20 modern core book and I had to let them smack me around for them to give it back. Two teachers called me a drug addict and a satanist (and took up my quartz crystal because they thought I'd "hex" them) When I got home, my mom kept up with the stream of insults, saying I'm "strange" "odd", etc. So I got on my bike and rode to my grandmaws. From there I logged on to the internet when I realised "Forget them! I'm goin' to the playground" So I just wanted to say that I love you guys. Y'all really help me escape reality.

One not-asked advice:

Face those bullys even if they hit you, face them and defend yourself. Sign up at a karate dojo for gaining confidence if you want. But those kind of people always bother the weakest people. If you show them you're not weak, they'll leave you alone and they'll choose another victim.

Fight them back. Maybe you get hit in the first and second time you face them, but they'll think it twice before bullying you again.

Believe me. It worked for me when I was 12 and I was being bullied by three guys one year older than me. :smallwink:

Symmys
2010-02-20, 11:27 AM
I've only been on a few forums, but GiantitP is definitely the best of what I have seen. People are civil and intelligent, only use l337 (or whatever it's called) to mock trolls, are often quite knowledgeable about fantasy, myth, science fiction, and other cool stuff, and generally act like the awesome people they are. Also, unlike some other forums *coughneopetscough*, stuff is organized and the posts aren't painful just to look at.

I like this place.

Eldan
2010-02-20, 11:29 AM
Yeah, we're pretty awesome, huh. :smalltongue:

Aren't there any awesome people at your school? There's got to be some. At any rate, once you get to university, there will be a whole bunch, but see what you can do in the meantime.

Not necessarily. I've been at university for three and a half years now, and there's a distinct lack of awesome people :smallfrown:

Ikialev
2010-02-20, 11:30 AM
Why do you take D20 modern core book to school? :smallconfused:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-20, 11:34 AM
Why do you take D20 modern core book to school? :smallconfused:

Likely the same reason I brought my Mutants and Masterminds book; free time to read a new/unfamiliar source book.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-20, 11:36 AM
Not necessarily. I've been at university for three and a half years now, and there's a distinct lack of awesome people :smallfrown:
Obviously you're going to the wrong uni/studying the wrong thing(s).

Seconding the question of Il'Deav.

Also seconding the notions of pretending to hex a person, that the parents/teachers should know better, Flicker's Chalkboard idea and most importantly, Tribble's(+Blas') notion of standing up for yourself.

But yeah, I wub you too, playground.

Eldan
2010-02-20, 11:38 AM
Biology at a science only university. We don't even have a single club at the university, no matter the subject. I think it's just a boring place. People here seem to care about studying and getting drunk during the weekends, not much else. Some a little about sport.

Winterwind
2010-02-20, 11:43 AM
Hmmm... have you trying inquiring about their hobbies though? There may not be official clubs, but who knows how many of them play roleplaying games in their free time?

I studied physics at uni, and I think just about one in three students there - maybe even more - were either roleplayers or had at least played roleplaying games at some point in their lives.

Eldan
2010-02-20, 11:43 AM
Either I've asked the wrong people, or they hide it very well, but the general answer seems to be "You read fantasy books? Dude, that's for little kids."

Winterwind
2010-02-20, 11:45 AM
Either I've asked the wrong people, or they hide it very well, but the general answer seems to be "You read fantasy books? Dude, that's for little kids.":smalleek:

Okay, that... that really sucks. My condolences. :smallfrown:

Maybe physicists are geekier than biologists on average after all, then. Perhaps you'd have more luck asking those?

Otherwise, have you tried looking for roleplayers/people sharing your other hobbies via Internet? I find it difficult to imagine there would be none in a town as big as Zürich...

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 12:45 PM
Well, too answer some questions/comments.

I can't wear a trench coat, it's against school rules
I briught my book because I can read it during reading class
Very few awesome people hear, except for my best friends and little brother (They started playing D&D to humor me and fell in loveewith it) but all but one of my friends moved/switched-to-home-school because of this teacher that slaps students. stupid tenure

Moff Chumley
2010-02-20, 01:09 PM
:smalleek:

Isn't that, ya know, ILLEGAL!?

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 01:17 PM
No one cares around here. I dispise it around here

Winterwind
2010-02-20, 01:24 PM
Hmmm... I don't know how it works in the US, but the headmaster of the school should have something to say about that, if (s)he knew... and if not, it should go to the next instance (which would presumably be the state's department of education). At some point, there must be someone who cares about illegal activities.

Zanaril
2010-02-20, 01:47 PM
(and took up my quartz crystal because they thought I'd "hex" them)
Hahaha.

Ha.

Heh.

...Wait, seriously? I think you should start looking for another school because your current one seems to have employed idiots as teachers.

Eldan
2010-02-20, 01:59 PM
They are allowed to take your stuff away and tell you what to wear? What kind of a booped up system is that? :smallconfused:

Flickerdart
2010-02-20, 02:01 PM
They are allowed to take your stuff away and tell you what to wear? What kind of a booped up system is that? :smallconfused:
You know, for Freedom (tm).

Em Blackleaf
2010-02-20, 02:06 PM
this teacher that slaps students. stupid tenure

:smallconfused:
Okay, this is getting ridiculous.
That's illegal. Don't think no one else cares, take this to some form of authority. There will be someone who will have something to say about this.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 02:10 PM
Well, one time she back handed my friend, and we told the principle. All he said was "Yes, we realize she's not a people person. Now, go to class."

Marillion
2010-02-20, 02:12 PM
Hmmm... I don't know how it works in the US, but the headmaster of the school should have something to say about that, if (s)he knew... and if not, it should go to the next instance (which would presumably be the state's department of education). At some point, there must be someone who cares about illegal activities.

You'd think, but unfortunately, you've got about a 50/50 shot of anyone taking you seriously enough to look into it. And from there, odds are that the teachers will band together and deny everything, and almost certainly the investigators will take the word of the teachers over the kid(s). And then, when the teachers find out who started the whole investigation (and they will, whether or not they're legally allowed to), things will get worse for the whistleblower. 98% of the time, you need to actually catch the teacher committing the illegal activity, and even then, it's not certain. Which leads me to my 2 CP...

Document the illegal activity. I don't know if you have a cell phone, or if said cell phone has a camera, but SOMEONE in your school does. If you can get them to take a picture (or better, video) of the teacher smacking kids around, and give it to the police and the local news, the teachers won't be able to deny it.

As for what Tribble said, he's absolutely correct. One of my friends when I was in high school, a scrawny, long-haired, LaVeyan Satanist, was getting picked on, and it turned physical. Of course, a circle formed around them. Instead of taking the beating, or fighting 'fair', he asks the guy "Have you made peace with your god?" "...What?" "Because this is a fight to the death." And then he leapt at him, clawing and gouging and biting and kicking, and paying special attention to the genitals. It got so bad that the other students actually pulled him off before the security guards got there. He was suspended for a week, of course, but he was never bothered again.

Dogmantra
2010-02-20, 02:17 PM
They are allowed to ... and tell you what to wear?

See, call our entire country crazy, but nigh on every school here tells you what to wear. 's called uniform :smalltongue:

But Froogs, mate, I do think you need to sort this out. I rather like the idea of filming illegal activity. If the worst comes to the worst, you can go to the police.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 02:36 PM
I don't have to deal with her that often, only during reading class, my friends were in her homeroom :(

Grim ranger
2010-02-20, 03:03 PM

Wait, what?!

Seriously, how stupid can people get? I understand little ridicule, been through that and all, but that kind of abuse just crosses the line. You will have your revenge one day, and when the day comes I wish you will make the best of it. We are here to support you, man.

Voldecanter
2010-02-20, 03:07 PM
Did you get your Quartz Back ? ....and if your going to get your RP stuff stolen and then beaten up for it maybe you should leave it at home and appreciate it there . No But really did you get your Crystals Back ?

thubby
2010-02-20, 03:08 PM
I don't have to deal with her that often, only during reading class, my friends were in her homeroom :(

the beauty of camera phones, is that they are undeniable evidence. in the absence of your parents advocating for you, get it on camera and take it to the police.
and if THAT doesn't work, Email it around. board of ed members, mayor, your friends parents, whoever.

anyone hitting the students is NOT a small matter or something to be ignored.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 03:35 PM
Did you get your Quartz Back ? ....and if your going to get your RP stuff stolen and then beaten up for it maybe you should leave it at home and appreciate it there . No But really did you get your Crystals Back ?

They said "You can have this back when you learn that this school is not some coven"

thubby
2010-02-20, 03:47 PM
They said "You can have this back when you learn that this school is not some coven"

there is so much wrong with this, I am at a loss for words.

Grim ranger
2010-02-20, 03:50 PM
there is so much wrong with this, I am at a loss for words.

You are not the only one. Sheesh, those people have either attitude problem, are all very misinformed or did not get the memo that witch hunts ended already.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 03:54 PM
that witch hunts ended already.

if only . . .

20_Sided_Horror
2010-02-20, 04:30 PM
{Scrubbed}

Dogmantra
2010-02-20, 04:31 PM
{Scrubbed}

Woah there... Plenty of people aren't that confident in social situations so use forums or chatrooms as a way of socialising while still remaining anonymous, thus getting their whole "friends" thing and not ruining everything by saying something stupid. Being "glued to the damn computer" can be what's stopping someone from getting rather depressive.

Thelas
2010-02-20, 04:34 PM

Okay, that's enough of that.

You have shown that you are obviously more intelligent than them. In the spirit of advice I was given and couldn't take - if you wait too long, you'll boil over and burst. Instead, take this time now to set up a very complicated plan that will inevitably destroy them.

And nthing "I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders or espers here, come join me. That is all."

Moff Chumley
2010-02-20, 04:35 PM
Agreed with Dogmantra. Calm down. :smallconfused:

Maximum Zersk
2010-02-20, 04:38 PM
Dogmantra's right. That was pretty harsh.

Froogleyboy, I have one question, did the teacher hit your friend for no reason or for a very petty reason?

I'm sorry if it sounds a little jerk-ish of me, I'm just curious.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 04:38 PM
I hate that whiney punk! He always thinks he is sooo smart!

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 04:40 PM
Dogmantra's right. That was pretty harsh.

Froogleyboy, I have one question, did the teacher hit your friend for no reason or for a very petty reason?

I'm sorry if it sounds a little jerk-ish of me, I'm just curious.

Well, she told him that if he didn't get a haircut (he has really long hair, below his shoulders) she would take a straight razor to his head, and he said "Your not the only one who carries a razor" and cocked an eyebrow, she told him to shut his mouth and back handed him

THAC0
2010-02-20, 04:48 PM
Well, she told him that if he didn't get a haircut (he has really long hair, below his shoulders) she would take a straight razor to his head, and he said "Your not the only one who carries a razor" and cocked an eyebrow, she told him to shut his mouth and back handed him

Errors on both sides, then.

Regardless, there is no reason for a teacher to slap a student, and that should be grounds to fire, regardless of tenure.

Then again, I know several school districts in your part of the country still allow corporal punishment, so maybe not.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 04:51 PM
Errors on both sides, then.

Regardless, there is no reason for a teacher to slap a student, and that should be grounds to fire, regardless of tenure.

Then again, I know several school districts in your part of the country still allow corporal punishment, so maybe not.

Our school (the county even) is extreamly pro-corporal punishment

Morty
2010-02-20, 04:53 PM
Oooh-kay. I'm no stranger to other students and teachers being stupid, but this is something kinda pathological. Sadly, I can't really do anything except offer my condolences. Negative though it may sound, I don't really belive people's advice to being bullied or teachers acting like this. And I have to say, corporal punishment being legal in any part of America is completely new to me.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 04:57 PM
They can't do this kinda stuff in college can they?

randman22222
2010-02-20, 05:01 PM
They can't do this kinda stuff in college can they?

No. It's not like high school. Believe me, I hated middle and high. College was/is an incredible difference.

For starters, you're treated far more like a person, than like a disposable part in the machinery that is education.

Are you planning on going out of state? If you can afford it somehow, I'd recommend you do...

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 05:06 PM
No. It's not like high school. Believe me, I hated middle and high. College was/is an incredible difference.

For starters, you're treated far more like a person, than like a disposable part in the machinery that is education.

Are you planning on going out of state? If you can afford it somehow, I'd recommend you do...

Moving to Holland when I'm 18

THAC0
2010-02-20, 05:08 PM
Our school (the county even) is extreamly pro-corporal punishment

I figured that was the case. Not something I'm on board with, but par for the course in that part of the country.

Maximum Zersk
2010-02-20, 05:11 PM
I hear Holland is nice.

Just watch out for the flooding.

Well, that's is a petty reason to hit someone, honestly. I may be a little old-fashioned in my thinking (God, I'm still a teenager and I'm saying stuff like that. :smalleek::smalltongue:), but the only time I think it would be okay to hit someone is if they did something seriously wrong. Vandalizing? Yes. Refusal to cut your hair? NO.

Temotei
2010-02-20, 05:29 PM
I'm going with the whole "pictures/video works" train.

Try not to kill someone. It really sucks to get close to killing someone. I'm all for self-defense though.

Eldan
2010-02-20, 05:30 PM
If college is anything like university here, your professors won't even know you until you've been there for about for years and are working as their lab assistant.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-20, 05:42 PM
Moving to Holland when I'm 18
So what level are ya gonna do then?

I mean, if you get kicked out of high school, adult education or something?

Do you have relatives/family or do you know people there? Do you know a person who's willing to give you a job there?

Do you know the dutch education system a little bit?
Are you going to do MBO(associates degree), HBO(apparently, what is considered real college) or WO(university)?

We're pretty damn flexible with english, but knowing some dutch might help?

Do you/will you have the money to do it? Plans man...

Eldan: It really varies on what level you're working on, how big the college/uni is, how spread the teachers are, how much do you actually stand out, etc.

But on now: Generally yeah, record a lesson from that bad teacher or so. If she doesn't do anything, well she isn't doing anything. If she does, send it anonymously (by e-mail) to the police, parents, whatever.

zeratul
2010-02-20, 05:45 PM
if you're gonna be reviled for something, and called odd and weird, be the crazy kid that you Do. Not. Screw. With.

QFT, this is totally the way to go to survive in high school, and keep the idiots at bay. It works for me, that's for sure.

Temotei
2010-02-20, 05:56 PM
QFT, this is totally the way to go to survive in high school, and keep the idiots at bay. It works for me, that's for sure.

Heh. Our school isn't that bad, but when an idiot comes along, they stay away from the person with infinite people who would back them up. Try and find some cool people to hang out with. If you get in trouble, it helps to have backup, and when you have some, bullies tend to think more before choosing you.

Alternatively, you can follow the above advice. :smallcool:

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 06:06 PM
So what level are ya gonna do then?

I mean, if you get kicked out of high school, adult education or something?I don't know what you mean, but I refuse to quit/get-kicked-out. I.must.gradute

Do you have relatives/family or do you know people there? Do you know a person who's willing to give you a job there?No

Do you know the dutch education system a little bit?
Are you going to do MBO(associates degree), HBO(apparently, what is considered real college) or WO(university)?I wana go to buisness school

We're pretty damn flexible with english, but knowing some dutch might help? I'm trying to learn dutch, but I need someone to teach me

Do you/will you have the money to do it? Plans man...
I'm working on it

Nameless
2010-02-20, 06:08 PM

:smallfrown:

*cuddleses*

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 06:15 PM
:smallfrown:

*cuddleses*

*cuddles back* Danka

RandomNPC
2010-02-20, 06:18 PM
As far as bullies go, it's up to you to scare them off, teachers don't care. I was once given a lecture because I asked a teacher to help before things got physical.

As far as violent teachers? once someone lays hands on you you've got the right to fight them off as much as you need to, to get yourself out of the situation. Most classrooms have one door, and if it comes to it as long as the teacher strikes first and is between the student and the door... yea.

Above all, Vorpal was right, be the one they fear. I was lucky, my last name translates to assassin in Italian, and the mob is still scary enough that people made asumptions and left me alone for the most part. Figure out who else is being picked on, and if they don't want to be friends sugest you guys stick together for safety in numbers at the least. When I did get picked on I had one of the biggest guys in school backing me, along with a few other people and that's probably what saved me a lot of troubble when people realized my name's just a name. If you can pull off something like that you'll be better off till you can get out of there.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-20, 06:34 PM
I don't know what you mean, but I refuse to quit/get-kicked-out. I.must.gradute

I wana go to buisness school

I'm trying to learn dutch, but I need someone to teach me
Well there's as I said: Three general levels after high school(Dutch high school is divided in something like 7 levels, but let's not discuss that), MBO, HBO and WO.
Which is something like, College, College, Uni.
MBO is more practical orientated then HBO.

On learning dutch: There's loads and loads of stuff online. Yes, having somebody IRL will help (immensely) but you can learn lots online.
But a warning though, dutch can be a pretty damn complicated and confusing language.

I'l post more later, most likely. Going to bed for now.

Redpieper
2010-02-20, 07:08 PM
Hey you're more then welcome here in holland! :smallsmile:
If you want to learn dutch, I'd be willing to help. Pm me if you need my email.
On the other stuff, that's harsh, cruel and very sucky (understatement). It's always strange to me when people don't realise, other people are well different from them. Ah well C'est la vie :smallannoyed:

icastflare!
2010-02-20, 07:39 PM
high school sucked for me too. If it wasnt for my friends, dnd, and my music, I am not sure I would have made it the person I was.

Trust me once your out, It is illegal for anyone to treat you like crap. But making them stay away from you helps. Us metal head dnd players traveled in packs, and only the jocks and preps messed with us. I remember when I was walking alone a couple jocks were messing with me. I had had a bad day, and I looked him in the eye dead serouis and said " Are You Ready" and charged them. Ran off screaming. They didnt mess with us.

not saying go violent, but stand your ground

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-20, 08:13 PM
Get some pyro freinds.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 08:15 PM
Maybe, I should become a teacher, to make a difference

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-20, 08:18 PM
Cut that kind of thinking. :smalleek:

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 08:20 PM
Yes sir :(

icastflare!
2010-02-20, 08:21 PM
Maybe, I should become a teacher, to make a difference

Trust me, my friend did it it was horrible. get no respect, very low wages, . worst year of his life

icastflare!
2010-02-20, 08:32 PM
you seem like a good kid, and Alot of us went through the same crap. just remember, your having more fun then they are living up to their social standards. Many of them are just hiding behind a fake skin, not being who they are.

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-20, 08:32 PM
I would be your freind... But i'm in Texas, 7th grade.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 08:34 PM
Whats wrong with being in 7th grade? That was the grade I discoverd that hippies were cooler then all of those jocks

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-20, 08:36 PM
We're not in the same grade. We're not in the same level of school, either.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 08:39 PM
none of my friends are in the same grade, lets be friends anyways :)

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-20, 08:40 PM
Yaaaay! :smallbiggrin:

Now if I could come help you in real life. :smallyuk:

Solaris
2010-02-20, 08:46 PM

... Am I the only one who thought it'd be really, really funny if I and a few of my buddies were to go teach some punks that there's always a meaner nerd? We don't even need weapons. My unit's scored more kills with Humvees and MRAPs than machineguns or assault rifles, anyways. ^_^
Comedy aside, it does get better once you're out of high school and out of the Deep South. People stop trying to act cool. A lot of the guys I serve with now were the sorts who picked on nerds in high school (some of 'em even play Warhammer and D&D with me), something they now regret as pointless, childish posturing.

I've only been on a few forums, but GiantitP is definitely the best of what I have seen. People are civil and intelligent, only use l337 (or whatever it's called) to mock trolls, are often quite knowledgeable about fantasy, myth, science fiction, and other cool stuff, and generally act like the awesome people they are. Also, unlike some other forums *coughneopetscough*, stuff is organized and the posts aren't painful just to look at.

I like this place.

It's because people here tend to act more like real people than Internetizens.

As for what Tribble said, he's absolutely correct. One of my friends when I was in high school, a scrawny, long-haired, LaVeyan Satanist, was getting picked on, and it turned physical. Of course, a circle formed around them. Instead of taking the beating, or fighting 'fair', he asks the guy "Have you made peace with your god?" "...What?" "Because this is a fight to the death." And then he leapt at him, clawing and gouging and biting and kicking, and paying special attention to the genitals. It got so bad that the other students actually pulled him off before the security guards got there. He was suspended for a week, of course, but he was never bothered again.

Doesn't always work, says the guy who broke someone's collar bone with a T-square and dozens of other incidents ranging from the merely violent to the exotically bloodthirsty. Once people get scared enough of you, you're completely cut out from the social circles. It's only come up as a job skill once.

Trust me, my friend did it it was horrible. get no respect, very low wages. worst year of his life

You don't do it for the money.

icastflare!
2010-02-20, 08:58 PM
any way we love you too. the playground is for love. just remember that, the internet loves you

Lord Blace
2010-02-20, 09:18 PM
Cut that kind of thinking. :smalleek:

Trust me, my friend did it it was horrible. get no respect, very low wages, . worst year of his life

:smallconfused: Say what? One of the major reasons I want to be a teacher is because I feel like I could bring a new sort of element that most classes lack. Which is enthusiasm for the subject and/or a bit of nerdy projects. And speaking of wages and the like, look up different states. Texas is fairly good to its teachers afaik. And/or you could teach college/university level.
I say if teaching seems like a worthwhile position for you, go for it.

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-20, 09:25 PM
Well sure, I think bout what I could do if I was a teacher, but I don't whant to deal with certain kids I know are out there.

Lord Blace
2010-02-20, 09:32 PM
You're thinking about it the wrong way. They are stuck in that classroom with YOU. The person who ultimately decides whether or not they need to take that particular class again. (Unless it's an elective, but chances are, if that's the case, you're more likely to get students who are genuinely interested in the subject matter. One of the reasons I enjoyed my AP Comp Sci classes so much.)

Edit: Presuming you're talking about being a high school or higher educator.

RandomNPC
2010-02-20, 09:39 PM
I agree with the new direction the discussion is going in, you do not want to teach students who goto school because they have to. University or something maybe, but not a public school teacher.

If a student has to be there, they will resent you, not all of them, not even most, but enough to make your day bad. every day. At a university everyone's there by choice, but I think you've got to be teaching for a while to get into one as a teacher. Then again I've never applied to teach.

The Duke
2010-02-20, 09:46 PM
If you do have trouble learning dutch, or the like may I suggest just moving further away from where you are for college. Even most parts of the states would be better then that, (Cheaper too maybe, unless they charge more for out of state students) However if you don't mind the cold Canada is nice too, or England etc. There are plenty of neat places where English is prominent so might want to consider those too.

If I lived nearby, I'd be happy to teach them a lesson for you though.. (In particular the stupid teachers. :smallamused:)

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 09:47 PM
I've always loved the dutch though, and besides, Amsterdam

Dogmantra
2010-02-20, 10:11 PM
Come to England! We have... a borderline unhealthy obsession with tea?

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 10:12 PM
Tea you say?

Maximum Zersk
2010-02-20, 10:14 PM
If you do have trouble learning dutch, or the like may I suggest just moving further away from where you are for college. Even most parts of the states would be better then that, (Cheaper too maybe, unless they charge more for out of state students) However if you don't mind the cold Canada is nice too, or England etc. There are plenty of neat places where English is prominent so might want to consider those too.

If I lived nearby, I'd be happy to teach them a lesson for you though.. (In particular the stupid teachers. :smallamused:)

Oh come on, we're not THAT cold. :smalltongue: In fact, some places can get quite warm during the summer.

THAC0
2010-02-20, 10:23 PM
I agree with the new direction the discussion is going in, you do not want to teach students who goto school because they have to. University or something maybe, but not a public school teacher.

If a student has to be there, they will resent you, not all of them, not even most, but enough to make your day bad. every day. At a university everyone's there by choice, but I think you've got to be teaching for a while to get into one as a teacher. Then again I've never applied to teach.

I'm the first to say that teaching is no cake-walk, and definitely not for everyone, but if it is for you, you are doing something incredible every day for dozens of children. And even though they sometimes make you want to tear your hair out, the next day you'll have a kid come back and thank you for being the one to keep them from dropping out of school. And that is just amazing.

Anyway, you can't just jump to teaching University. You've got to have at least a doctorate to get a tenure track spot, and that includes work in the field.

Solaris
2010-02-20, 10:24 PM
Oh come on, we're not THAT cold. :smalltongue: In fact, some places can get quite warm during the summer.

Yeah, sixty degrees is only warm to us northerners, eh?

The Duke
2010-02-20, 10:29 PM

I know, I live in Canada. However if he's from the south he might find it a touch chilly at times

@V hate to break it to you, but you're going to find Holland friggen cold then. :smalltongue:

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 10:30 PM
anything below 65 farenhieght is friggen cold

Solaris
2010-02-20, 10:59 PM
anything below 65 farenhieght is friggen cold

... You do know that only a few months ago I was running around in -60, right?
Holland and Canadia both hit below freezing regularly, and some parts of Canadia actually get colder than my record low of -68.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 11:04 PM
I don't mind the cold as long as I have a way to warm up (most of my ways are illegal here :smallfrown: )

Solaris
2010-02-20, 11:50 PM
I don't mind the cold as long as I have a way to warm up (most of my ways are illegal here :smallfrown: )

Warm clothes are illegal?

I remember we were in Louisiana a couple winters back, coming from Alaska. We got off the plane and promptly started to sweat buckets, downgrading our cold weather gear as low as it would go. The whole month we were there, we were running around in T-shirts if we could. The local troops were looking at us like we were crazy men 'cause we thought sixty was pretty darned warm.

Marillion
2010-02-20, 11:55 PM
I have to walk to work in (currently) 10-30 degrees Fahrenheit. I wear jeans, a t-shirt, and a light jacket, and I sweat. This is because I grew up in New York, and my mother's family lived in Canada for a long while. Down in Indiana, people think I'm insane. Once, I got so hot I actually took off my jacket and was comfortable, leading my co-worker to ask "Would you explain to me why it's 20-something degrees outside and you weren't wearing your friggin' jacket?"

Krade
2010-02-21, 01:15 AM
Love you too, man.

And if you live in America, try wearing a trench coat to school. All your peers will assume you will pull a columbine (sp?) and leave you alone. I wear a trench coat to school daily (because it's cold outside), and I'm told i look way more threatening.

When we were in High School my brother wore a trenchcoat to school once and someone actually called the police.

He did that kind of thing a lot. One of the vice principles hated him so much it was hilarious. She quit/retired/transferred/I don't know after my freshman year so I never dealt with her. But oh, the STORIES!

We had an ANTHRAX day once. It was complete insanity. One of the janitors (no habla Ingles) found some "suspicious white powder" by the cafeteria before school. Then everyone starts arriving on the buses and no one knows what's going on. First we're told school is still on, but that section will be blocked off (WORST. IDEA. EVAR!!!). Then we're told schools cancelled. Cool. Me, my brother, and a couple of our friends start walking towards the nearest city bus stop so we can leave. When we're across the street and about half a block away, Ms. Tingley (Vice principal mentioned earlier) yells specifically for my brother to come back (apparently they decided school was back on). "Whatever," we say, "let's go." And we keep on walking. We go into the Waldenbooks (before it was bought by Borders) and looked around while we waited for the bus. Next door we saw some cops go into the Burger King and come out with other students (we guess) to take them back. Good thing they didn't think to check the book store. Who would think high school students would go there?:smalltongue: Then we got home, invited over a bunch of friends, and had an Anthrax Party. We later find out that school was cancelled, and the powder was plaster dust. The VP still tried to get my brother in trouble, though. Didn't work due to Mom not taking sides with her just because she's the VP.

THAC0
2010-02-21, 01:28 AM
We had an ANTHRAX day once.

We had a mercury day. It was during finals week, my senior year of HS. They sent the cops to get rid of all the mercury thermometers, and someone dropped a box. Shut down everything. It was so awesome. Even more awesome was that finals got canceled. :smallbiggrin:

Ashery
2010-02-21, 01:29 AM

And many college students are there simply to get a piece of paper that they can show to future employers.

Sure, the concentration of students that have a love for learning may be higher in a university setting, but you will encounter many that are just there because the course is required. All they care about is that little letter they receive at the end of the term.

If anything, that should be a reason to teach younger kids as you can work towards instilling a love for learning in your students. A love that'll serve them well in whatever they decide to do in life. Yea, I'm an idealist, heh.

Also, pursuing a tenure track position is *not* something to be taken lightly. I'm sure some of the other current/former grad students could fill you in with more details there. Note that I'm simply a master's student that's done some TA'ing and, as of now, am in a sort of self imposed limbo.

Oh, and:

Trust me, my friend did it it was horrible. get no respect, very low wages. worst year of his life

You don't do it for the money.

QFT

Krade
2010-02-21, 01:39 AM
Sometimes I seriously think about going into teaching. Either middle or high school. Don't know what I would teach though... I never truly excelled at any of my classes, nor did I do terribly in any. I think I'd do either Math ('cause I'm good at it naturally) or English ('cause it is so rarely done right).

Forever Curious
2010-02-21, 01:53 AM
If you're dead set on going to Holland, more power to you.

OTHERWISE, here's a college (http://old.www.iup.edu/honors/) that I'll be attending next semester, and I think you'll be warmly accepted. Nothing lost in checking it out, at least.

Krade
2010-02-21, 01:56 AM
If you're dead set on going to Holland, more power to you.

OTHERWISE, here's a college (http://old.www.iup.edu/honors/) that I'll be attending next semester, and I think you'll be warmly accepted. Nothing lost in checking it out, at least.

Anyone else think that "Indiana University of Pennsylvania" is a hilarious name?

Ashery
2010-02-21, 01:57 AM
Forgot to address this little bit:

All three actions were ridiculous.

The first comment should've just been dismissed by the kid, but instead he *threatened* the teacher with that razor comment. Not that that excuses the teacher in backhanding him, but it's difficult to fully support the kid knowing that he threatened, even if not directly, the teacher.

And in response to Krade, math is so rarely taught properly as well. There's so, so much more than rote memorization. Then again, that's what I study, so I may be a bit biased there, heh.

Forever Curious
2010-02-21, 01:59 AM
Anyone else think that "Indiana University of Pennsylvania" is a hilarious name?

...the town of Indiana was around before the state, actually.

THAC0
2010-02-21, 02:01 AM

Psh. It is an institution of little matter other than the incongruity of it's name. But then, I graduated from The Pennsylvania State University, and am quite proud of that fact.

Krade
2010-02-21, 02:07 AM
...the town of Indiana was around before the state, actually.

LIES!!!:smallfurious:

And in response to Krade, math is so rarely taught properly as well. There's so, so much more than rote memorization. Then again, that's what I study, so I may be a bit biased there, heh.

That's true. I always found math homework assignments to be pointless busy work (much like all non-project homework assignments). I'd get points off for not showing my work when I could do the 'work' near instantly in my head. I found shortcuts they didn't teach and they wouldn't listen when I tried to explain them. Most notably is the midpoint equation. They give this convoluted equation to find it when, if you actually think about it, it's incredibly simple. I can't even remember the exact equation, but I can remember the shortcut I found.

Ashery
2010-02-21, 02:21 AM
That's true. I always found math homework assignments to be pointless busy work (much like all non-project homework assignments). I'd get points off for not showing my work when I could do the 'work' near instantly in my head. I found shortcuts they didn't teach and they wouldn't listen when I tried to explain them. Most notably is the midpoint equation. They give this convoluted equation to find it when, if you actually think about it, it's incredibly simple. I can't even remember the exact equation, but I can remember the shortcut I found.

You *need* to show your work.

Best reason for showing it? Partial credit. I don't know about most high schools, etc., but when marking exams as a TA, if a student gets a question wrong but shows their work I can figure out where they made their mistake. Did they make a mistake indicating that they don't understand the question or did they simply make the careless mistake of saying 1+1=3?

Without showing your work, making that mistake means you'll get nothing. Hell, even if you got it right, chances are you'll get nothing as well.

Later on, if you go into higher math, you show your work not only so the prof can understand every step, but so you're able to go back and double check your work. It's hard to see if/where you made that careless mistake if you don't write it down.

With respect to the midpoint equation, part of the reason that it seems so convoluted is that *understanding* what's going on isn't stressed. Rather, the focus is generally on plugging and chugging without necessarily understanding what the hell is going on.

What's the shortcut, out of curiosity?

Solaris
2010-02-21, 02:59 AM
And many college students are there simply to get a piece of paper that they can show to future employers.

Yes, but more importantly, they're paying for this piece of paper. That, in and of itself, is far more motivation than they had at any point in high school.

Used to be that I was really, really good at math. That rote memorization actually trained me on how to do math badly, so that problems I used to be able to do in my head in seconds take me minutes on paper. Now that I'm out of school, of course, it all takes minutes now if I remember how to do it at all.
Finest education system in the world, hooah.

Point

Counter-Point: Do you really need to show your work at every step for low-level algebra and geometry? I can understand for the more advanced mathematics, but if a student is capable of getting the right answer in their head then why punish them for it or, worse, re-train them to no longer be able to?

Ashery
2010-02-21, 03:30 AM
Yes, but more importantly, they're paying for this piece of paper. That, in and of itself, is far more motivation than they had at any point in high school.

Point taken. But then you have the required classes or GE's that the student thinks are pointless and a waste of their money.

Counter-Point: Do you really need to show your work at every step for low-level algebra and geometry? I can understand for the more advanced mathematics, but if a student is capable of getting the right answer in their head then why punish them for it or, worse, re-train them to no longer be able to?

In general, I'd expect the student to be able to produce, on paper, evidence that they know and understand the concepts that the exam is covering. If the question is to do some fairly basic arithmetic, you need to show all your of your work so that I know that you understand what's going on. *I* know that 38+72=110, but how do I know that you do?

And, as my seventh grade algebra teacher explained, cutting corners in your head is a perfect setup to make careless mistakes.

I agree, though, that they shouldn't be retrained to do it using a different/unfamiliar method on paper. But it is necessary that they be able to write *how* they got the answer down. Ideally, the instructor would then be able to follow the student's thought process and take things from there.

I'd need specifics to really take that any further...

Solaris
2010-02-21, 03:45 AM
In general, I'd expect the student to be able to produce, on paper, evidence that they know and understand the concepts that the exam is covering. If the question is to do some fairly basic arithmetic, you need to show all your of your work so that I know that you understand what's going on. *I* know that 38+72=110, but how do I know that you do?

I'd say the fact that they're in a certain level of math means they should be familiar with every level below it. At the very least, give some credit for knowing basic arithmetic to the Honors/AP students, y'know? Especially in the cases of "Do five hundred math problems", where really you only need to do about a half-dozen to get it. I'd usually show my work for the first cluster, just so the teacher knew that I knew what I was doing, then I'd go ahead and knock 'em out only showing enough work to keep notes by.

Not to mention calculators.

And, as my seventh grade algebra teacher explained, cutting corners in your head is a perfect setup to make careless mistakes.

True dat.

I agree, though, that they shouldn't be retrained to do it using a different/unfamiliar method on paper. But it is necessary that they be able to write *how* they got the answer down. Ideally, the instructor would then be able to follow the student's thought process and take things from there.

Ideally, yes. I should be able to write in, say, every third-fourth step (about as far as my memory was able to hold without error) and the teacher follows it. Ideally. Ideally, I wouldn't have had a teacher certified to teach elementary school math in my senior year. When I had to teach her some of the subject (second-year algebra was all I could bargain her up to), you know something about that situation is simply aberrant (and it was, I was in less of a school and more of a holding facility). In all honesty, though, the only math teacher I've had who I've been impressed with was my... I think seventh-grade teacher? Maybe eighth grade. Mr Fry. He taught me up to first-year algebra and geometry when I walked into his class knowing about as much math as your average fifth-grader. The rest of 'em didn't strike me as the type to be able to decipher notes that skipped steps.

Example (and like I said, I only got up to part of second-year algebra so forgive the simplicity of the problem): 2X + 3 = 3X. I could solve that just by looking at it. X = 3. That's basic math. Stupid-simple. Would you mark the answer wrong if I failed to show any intervening steps, but my general grade in the class was in the A's and B's range? If you say 'Yes', then I'd say you deserve a dopeslap. More complicated problems that need several steps to solve, then I agree, something should be shown if only to give the teacher a clue as to where the student got the answer from.

Ashery
2010-02-21, 04:24 AM
I'd say the fact that they're in a certain level of math means they should be familiar with every level below it. At the very least, give some credit for knowing basic arithmetic to the Honors/AP students, y'know? Especially in the cases of "Do five hundred math problems", where really you only need to do about a half-dozen to get it. I'd usually show my work for the first cluster, just so the teacher knew that I knew what I was doing, then I'd go ahead and knock 'em out only showing enough work to keep notes by.

Not to mention calculators.

The first couple statements reinforce what I was saying. If the question is to do simple arithmetic, you need to do it and show that you know what's going on. I'm testing if you know how to do arithmetic.

If the question was instead asking you to integrate some ****ed up trigonometric expression, I'd expect you to show me that you know how to integrate that. In this situation, if I were to see a careless mistake along the lines of 1+1=3, I'd likely give full credit for the question provided that the rest of the work was correct. Note that this partial credit requires that you show *all* work. Showing all work, honestly, becomes a reflex later on. I actually have a problem with exams that I'm taking where I show too *much* work and wind up having not enough time to adequately complete the rest.

Don't even get me started on the whole "quantity over quality" issue that seems to be so common these days. Especially if instructors only check to see if the student got the question right or wrong and don't look at *why* they made the mistake in the first place. Is it a simple careless mistake or are they not understanding the concepts discussed in class? If they're not understanding the concepts, the instructor *needs* to figure out *why* there is a misunderstanding and correct it.

Calculators are the bane of my existence. They should be banned in math courses. Period.

Yes, they have their uses, but a course on elementary mathematics is not one of them.

Ideally, yes. I should be able to write in, say, every third-fourth step (about as far as my memory was able to hold without error) and the teacher follows it. Ideally. Ideally, I wouldn't have had a teacher certified to teach elementary school math in my senior year. When I had to teach her some of the subject (second-year algebra was all I could bargain her up to), you know something about that situation is simply aberrant (and it was, I was in less of a school and more of a holding facility). In all honesty, though, the only math teacher I've had who I've been impressed with was my... I think seventh-grade teacher? Maybe eighth grade. Mr Fry. He taught me up to first-year algebra and geometry when I walked into his class knowing about as much math as your average fifth-grader. The rest of 'em didn't strike me as the type to be able to decipher notes that skipped steps.

Example (and like I said, I only got up to part of second-year algebra so forgive the simplicity of the problem): 2X + 3 = 3X. I could solve that just by looking at it. X = 3. That's basic math. Stupid-simple. Would you mark the answer wrong if I failed to show any intervening steps, but my general grade in the class was in the A's and B's range? If you say 'Yes', then I'd say you deserve a dopeslap. More complicated problems that need several steps to solve, then I agree, something should be shown if only to give the teacher a clue as to where the student got the answer from.

In response to the second paragraph, I'd likely mark you off for not showing your work.

Why?

Quite simple. The whole point of that question being there is to give the most basic question relating to solving an equation by isolating the variable. *I* know that the answer is three, and yes, you may know it as well. But you need to show me that you know *how* to get it.

And is really *that* much work to write "-2x" below each side?

If you can't illustrate to me that you understand the concept on such a basic level, how will you be able to use the same method on more complex questions that cannot be solved in your head? The first baby step may seem insultingly easy, but take it as free question on the exam instead of being insulted by it.

The first paragraph just makes me want a drink, heh. Actually, that sounds like a good idea while I wait for a response.

Kallisti
2010-02-21, 04:39 AM

Yes. Froogleyboy, I volunteer your school as the site of the next Playground Meetup. We'll all come to your school in Rennaisance Fair clothing, and spend all day pretending to hex people and terrify the stupid. Strength in numbers and all that.

When somebody asks what the hell we're all doing here, tell them it's bring-your-coven-to-school day.

...or just what Vorpal said about not letting them do crap like that, but my idea is more fun.

One friend of mine used to get beaten up all the time because he was in the Society for Creative Anachronism, which is basically half-Rennaisance Fair and half-LARP. So one day he made himself what was basically a suit of armor out of punctured soup cans. It had many many sharp edges facing outward. He wore it to school under his clothes one day, and laughed as people punched him and sliced their hands open. His clothes got ruined, of course, but the school bullies started leaving him alone after that.

Do something like this, only with pretend-hexes and pranks to create "misfortunes" brought on by the "curse."

Anuan
2010-02-21, 04:42 AM
Yes. Froogleyboy, I volunteer your school as the site of the next Playground Meetup. We'll all come to your school in Rennaisance Fair clothing, and spend all day pretending to hex people and terrify the stupid. Strength in numbers and all that.

When somebody asks what the hell we're all doing here, tell them it's bring-your-coven-to-school day.

...or just what Vorpal said about not letting them do crap like that, but my idea is more fun.

One friend of mine used to get beaten up all the time because he was in the Society for Creative Anachronism, which is basically half-Rennaisance Fair and half-LARP. So one day he made himself what was basically a suit of armor out of punctured soup cans. It had many many sharp edges facing outward. He wore it to school under his clothes one day, and laughed as people punched him and sliced their hands open. His clothes got ruined, of course, but the school bullies started leaving him alone after that.

Do something like this, only with pretend-hexes and pranks to create "misfortunes" brought on by the "curse."

People are less scared by weirdness than physical violence. Forget the 'hexing,' and 'coven,' wear jack-plates and carry sideswords. Rattle your armour occasionally and wave the blades around meaningfully.

Solaris
2010-02-21, 05:01 AM
The first couple statements reinforce what I was saying. If the question is to do simple arithmetic, you need to do it and show that you know what's going on. I'm testing if you know how to do arithmetic.

Fair enough, I suppose. If we're halfway through the first semester of... well, anything beyond elementary school, you bet I'm not gonna be showing the work on 1 + 4 x 4 = 17. As the teacher, you really should know by that point what your students are capable of. It's not sloth that makes me not want to show every single step, it's the simple fact that it's more natural for me to do two-three steps of the simpler math in my head.
It all started with carrying numbers over from double-digit addition in second grade. My teacher, bless her heart, just could not understand that I was perfectly capable of remembering to add X to the next column over without writing it down. I've had a dislike of excessive note-taking ever since.

If the question was instead asking you to integrate some ****ed up trigonometric expression, I'd expect you to show me that you know how to integrate that. In this situation, if I were to see a careless mistake along the lines of 1+1=3, I'd likely give full credit for the question provided that the rest of the work was correct. Note that this partial credit requires that you show *all* work. Showing all work, honestly, becomes a reflex later on. I actually have a problem with exams that I'm taking where I show too *much* work and wind up having not enough time to adequately complete the rest.

This, too, I can dig. For complex problems and stuff you're actually learning, as opposed to a rehearsal of stuff learned in second grade (yes, I have had to do multiplication tables in my senior year, no I did not find it entertaining in the slightest when the teacher handed out calculators with them), writing it down is crucial to remembering it.

Don't even get me started on the whole "quantity over quality" issue that seems to be so common these days. Especially if instructors only check to see if the student got the question right or wrong and don't look at *why* they made the mistake in the first place. Is it a simple careless mistake or are they not understanding the concepts discussed in class? If they're not understanding the concepts, the instructor *needs* to figure out *why* there is a misunderstanding and correct it.

Calculators are the bane of my existence. They should be banned in math courses. Period.

Yes, they have their uses, but a course on elementary mathematics is not one of them.

There, I think, you've managed to find a complaint I had with much of my math classes throughout high school. Thanks for putting words to it. There was one point in my junior year where I asked a teacher to show us how to do... I think it was sine/cosines without a calculator. It was Adv Algebra II, the year the calculators really took over. He refused. My mind was boggled, 'cause before that we only used calculators to do the basic arithmetic gruntwork. After that, I don't think I learned a G-D thing 'cause it was all just punching numbers into calculators.

In response to the second paragraph, I'd likely mark you off for not showing your work.

Why?

Quite simple. The whole point of that question being there is to give the most basic question relating to solving an equation by isolating the variable. *I* know that the answer is three, and yes, you may know it as well. But you need to show me that you know *how* to get it.

And is really *that* much work to write "-2x" below each side?

If you can't illustrate to me that you understand the concept on such a basic level, how will you be able to use the same method on more complex questions that cannot be solved in your head? The first baby step may seem insultingly easy, but take it as free question on the exam instead of being insulted by it.

The first paragraph just makes me want a drink, heh. Actually, that sounds like a good idea while I wait for a response.

I think we'll have to agree that it's probably a good thing you're the math teacher and I'm not, then. I can see your reasoning, and I understand it, but I still don't like it.
Like I said, though, for me it's not so much sloth as it is... Well, (and it's bad that the first example that pops into my head is military-related), it's kinda like when I'm shooting. I don't actively pay attention to the fundamentals anymore, they're reflexive by now. Perceiving, knowing, and executing are all one and the same. If someone makes me stop and actually, actively pay attention to my trigger squeeze, breathing, aim, sight picture, and body position then I'm probably gonna screw up 'cause they're messing with a working system. Not so much now as back then, if I had to stop and really put thinkery into the fundamentals (writing them down) of addition, subtraction, multiplication, exponents, and the order they go in, I'd take longer to do the problem itself because it's interrupting the flow of thought.
Bonus points if that made any sense. I think I'll be joining you on that drink.

Also, I blame you for a lot of this stuff coming back. Here I thought I'd thoroughly replaced that part of my brain with useless D&D rules! >_<

People are less scared by weirdness than physical violence. Forget the 'hexing,' and 'coven,' wear jack-plates and carry sideswords. Rattle your armour occasionally and wave the blades around meaningfully.

Yes, because that would never end badly.

Asta Kask
2010-02-21, 05:14 AM
Yes, yes they do. My mom among them. All the "Chick Tract" D&D stuff you (and I) laugh about? She believes all of it. >.<

You mean like this? (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/0/08/CthulhuChickTract.gif)

Maximum Zersk
2010-02-21, 05:35 AM
Okay Asta Kask, no more Uncyclopedia for you. :smalltongue:

More like this. (http://www.rpglibrary.org/inspiration/darkdungeons/page14.html)

Solaris
2010-02-21, 05:41 AM
Okay Asta Kask, no more Uncyclopedia for you. :smalltongue:

More like this. (http://www.rpglibrary.org/inspiration/darkdungeons/page14.html)

Because comics that quote verses always end well on this forum. And here it was being derailed so nicely, too...

Ashery
2010-02-21, 05:43 AM
Fair enough, I suppose. If we're halfway through the first semester of... well, anything beyond elementary school, you bet I'm not gonna be showing the work on 1 + 4 x 4 = 17. As the teacher, you really should know by that point what your students are capable of. It's not sloth that makes me not want to show every single step, it's the simple fact that it's more natural for me to do two-three steps of the simpler math in my head.
It all started with carrying numbers over from double-digit addition in second grade. My teacher, bless her heart, just could not understand that I was perfectly capable of remembering to add X to the next column over without writing it down. I've had a dislike of excessive note-taking ever since.

You're misunderstanding me here...

If I'm asking you a *specific* question regarding arithmetic, I expect you to be able to reproduce, on paper, the method in which you used to get it.

I would *not* be asking that question to a group of students in a calculus course. I would ask that question on an exam shortly after that topic was introduced in whatever course that topic would fit in.

Regardless of *that* statement, I'd expect to see the following for the above question:

1 + (4 x 4) = 1 + 16 = 17

That's all. All I'd be interested in is knowing that you understand the order of operations. There honestly isn't much more to that question that I can see.

Carrying over is a more legitimate, for the lack of a better word, complaint. But still, answer me this:

How is an instructor supposed to understand that you know what's going on without writing it down?

I suppose we could go into a discussion on other methods that an instructor can use to test their students' ability, but the above question still stands.

This, too, I can dig. For complex problems and stuff you're actually learning, as opposed to a rehearsal of stuff learned in second grade (yes, I have had to do multiplication tables in my senior year, no I did not find it entertaining in the slightest when the teacher handed out calculators with them), writing it down is crucial to remembering it.

Emphasis mine.

Thanks for an excuse to pour a second drink, heh.

There, I think, you've managed to find a complaint I had with much of my math classes throughout high school. Thanks for putting words to it. There was one point in my junior year where I asked a teacher to show us how to do... I think it was sine/cosines without a calculator. It was Adv Algebra II, the year the calculators really took over. He refused. My mind was boggled, 'cause before that we only used calculators to do the basic arithmetic gruntwork. After that, I don't think I learned a G-D thing 'cause it was all just punching numbers into calculators.

Alcoholism here I come!

I think we'll have to agree that it's probably a good thing you're the math teacher and I'm not, then. I can see your reasoning, and I understand it, but I still don't like it.
Like I said, though, for me it's not so much sloth as it is... Well, (and it's bad that the first example that pops into my head is military-related), it's kinda like when I'm shooting. I don't actively pay attention to the fundamentals anymore, they're reflexive by now. Perceiving, knowing, and executing are all one and the same. If someone makes me stop and actually, actively pay attention to my trigger squeeze, breathing, aim, sight picture, and body position then I'm probably gonna screw up 'cause they're messing with a working system. Not so much now as back then, if I had to stop and really put thinkery into the fundamentals (writing them down) of addition, subtraction, multiplication, exponents, and the order they go in, I'd take longer to do the problem itself because it's interrupting the flow of thought.
Bonus points if that made any sense. I think I'll be joining you on that drink.

Also, I blame you for a lot of this stuff coming back. Here I thought I'd thoroughly replaced that part of my brain with useless D&D rules! >_<

Eventually the procedure becomes second nature. When I do these types of problems, I don't think about'em, much as you don't think about your shooting. It becomes reflex after enough practice. The fundamentals are so ingrained that they become second nature. I suppose this is where the "quantity over quantity" problem originates, as well. You need to *practice* to get to this level, but at the same time you need to have adequate feedback on your work. That feedback part just happens to be badly neglected...

Also note: I am not an actual high school instructor, but rather a grad student with a fair bit of TA'ing experience that will likely end up teaching HS for a living.

Amiel
2010-02-21, 09:08 AM
Warm fuzzies are well and good, but reality and life are pretty harsh. There are jerkass people in the real world and there's no administration system to protect you.

Get yourself involved in a martial arts or self defense program. It'll do wonders for your confidence, boost your self esteem and it'll help you out if the bullies start pounding on you again.

Our news down here, both the print media and visual form, frequently reports on violence within the school yard; with fights regularly erupting (sending kids to hospitals unconscious) to kids from prestigious private schools selling drugs to other kids, and everything in between. The level of street violence is also insane; to the point that many fear to go out at night.

This is probably no fault of the teachers; they only have so much to work with after all and have to work with only what they are given. And in many cases, it isn't pretty. The teachers can't do much for problem-behaviour students and a slap across the face is sure to get that teacher sacked.

The concept of respect is lost on many kids, who are really rebels without any cause or meaning. They should bring back corporal punishment. That'd teach kids proper discipline and respect.

Cool and popular are overrated; with coolness and popularity being 99% theatrics.

Anuan
2010-02-21, 09:28 AM
Amiel has it basically right.

Peace is better than violence, but as Ghandi said, "Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence."
You're having violence forced on you. A cracked collarbone stops anybody from being violent, especially if they're so used to beating you up while every night you go to training and get a little bit better, and a little bit better, and a little bit better, until one day you dodge their punch, and bring your elbow down against their collarbone and feel it break satisfyingly.

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-21, 11:30 AM
Mmmmm.

Crack!!

Froogleyboy
2010-02-21, 12:09 PM
I have self-defense taken care of, It's called the Walther P99 :)

THAC0
2010-02-21, 01:28 PM

I certainly hope you aren't bringing that to school, as it will land you more than a Saturday detention. :smallwink:

Froogleyboy
2010-02-21, 01:45 PM
I certainly hope you aren't bringing that to school, as it will land you more than a Saturday detention. :smallwink:

Nah, but my mom is the mail lady for our district. I know where they live :smallwink:

THAC0
2010-02-21, 01:54 PM
Nah, but my mom is the mail lady for our district. I know where they live :smallwink:

...I'm just going to chalk that one up to a bad joke.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-21, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't shoot anyone, but I do know where they live

zeratul
2010-02-21, 02:07 PM
When we were in High School my brother wore a trenchcoat to school once and someone actually called the police.

He did that kind of thing a lot. One of the vice principles hated him so much it was hilarious. She quit/retired/transferred/I don't know after my freshman year so I never dealt with her. But oh, the STORIES!

Once I became a metalhead and started wearing my trench coat alot, it actually helped a ton to make people stop messing with me. Aside from doing this, I'd also recommend just standing up to yourself, because if you continually stand up for yourself when someone is messing with you then they move on and look for an easier target. Also, if a teacher takes your stuff just because she "thinks your trying to hex her" bring a parent in and talk to the principle, and if that doesn't work threaten to go to the superintendent. principles and teachers are terrified of parents, it works wonders.

Solaris
2010-02-21, 03:09 PM

I have nothing good to say about this, but like THAC0 I'm going to chalk it up to a bad joke 'cause the post I originally had was... brutal.

Carrying over is a more legitimate, for the lack of a better word, complaint. But still, answer me this:

How is an instructor supposed to understand that you know what's going on without writing it down?

I suppose we could go into a discussion on other methods that an instructor can use to test their students' ability, but the above question still stands.

I think we're mostly kinda-sorta getting to the same thing, but it's just beating a dead horse anyhow.

I'd say me getting the right answer would be a pretty good indication of me knowing what's going on, eh?

Emphasis mine.

Thanks for an excuse to pour a second drink, heh.

My experience with the public schools have kept business booming for many a liquor company.

Alcoholism here I come!

Teaching high school math, it was bound to happen eventually. You're ahead of the curve! Woohoo!

Eventually the procedure becomes second nature. When I do these types of problems, I don't think about'em, much as you don't think about your shooting. It becomes reflex after enough practice. The fundamentals are so ingrained that they become second nature. I suppose this is where the "quantity over quantity" problem originates, as well. You need to *practice* to get to this level, but at the same time you need to have adequate feedback on your work. That feedback part just happens to be badly neglected...

Also note: I am not an actual high school instructor, but rather a grad student with a fair bit of TA'ing experience that will likely end up teaching HS for a living.

Yes, but if we're only taught how to punch it into the calculator...

Warm fuzzies are well and good, but reality and life are pretty harsh. There are jerkass people in the real world and there's no administration system to protect you.

Get yourself involved in a martial arts or self defense program. It'll do wonders for your confidence, boost your self esteem and it'll help you out if the bullies start pounding on you again.

Our news down here, both the print media and visual form, frequently reports on violence within the school yard; with fights regularly erupting (sending kids to hospitals unconscious) to kids from prestigious private schools selling drugs to other kids, and everything in between. The level of street violence is also insane; to the point that many fear to go out at night.

I agree, self-defense and learning a good martial art are good ideas. To be blunt, quit knuckling under and quit being so bleedin' stupid. One kid in high school made the mistake of taking something from me. I ran him down and beat the living tar out of him in front of the entire cafeteria. I can do that. I'm a mean, angry sonuvagun who knows how to fight. If you don't, change that. You don't necessarily have to be mean - I'd advise against it, eventually you look around and find you're the only one standing there - but Froogley, you do need to learn how to fight. When those kids took your book and you let them beat on you to take it back, how it should have gone down was you take apart at least one of them, book be damned. Just losing, submitting like that hurts you far worse than getting the tar beaten out of you.

This is probably no fault of the teachers; they only have so much to work with after all and have to work with only what they are given. And in many cases, it isn't pretty. The teachers can't do much for problem-behaviour students and a slap across the face is sure to get that teacher sacked.

The concept of respect is lost on many kids, who are really rebels without any cause or meaning. They should bring back corporal punishment. That'd teach kids proper discipline and respect.

Cool and popular are overrated; with coolness and popularity being 99% theatrics.

A student's behavior is not the teacher's responsibility. It is the parent's and the student's responsibility.

Firestar27
2010-02-22, 12:14 AM
I think the greatest thing about the playground is that the occasional "I love this place, I love you all" thread pops up regularly.

May I, may I sig this?

Drakevarg
2010-02-22, 12:39 AM
*glances at OP*

...alright, somebody go sic Anonymous on these people. This is wrong on many, many levels. About half of which a patently illegal. Perhaps Minnesota is Magical Happy Land compared to Alabama, but anyone trying this sort of stuff at the schools I've been to would crash and burn FAST.

Of course, I haven't been bothered by people for such things in nearly a decade. One of the perks of being built like a gorilla.

But yeah. Sic the Law on this place, man. If that doesn't work, get the hell out of there. Do NOT suffer fools.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-22, 12:45 AM
I think they have to give you back that piece of quartz after a certain amount of time otherwise it's considered stealing.

But yeah, get your mom to send you somewhere else. There HAS to be another school around there.

Amiel
2010-02-22, 01:23 AM
Cosplay as the Slender Man for school.

That is all.

Pocketa
2010-02-22, 02:30 AM
Well, even if they call you names, and punch you and stuff, remember:

Revenge will be slow, painful, and sweet. Completely merciless, too.

Nevermind that, I think we all love you too. It's nice to know we have a place to escape reality.

Kids can be cruel. So can adults that are only considered to be adults in a technical rather than mature sense.

I hope things get better. Things were tough for me up until high school. I'm lucky because it was hip to be "weird" at my school, and still is, but people leave me alone because I'm quiet unless you poke at me and then, I'll tear you apart verbally (but not crudely).

There is a way to live with elegance and poise, regardless of gender.
There is a way to hold your head up high.

I personally would not bring valuables relating to *this* world to school because they could be broken, lost, or stolen, not because it's incorrect to do so.

I also do not advertise what I am into at school but that's for other reasons.

babeeroniea
2010-02-22, 12:55 PM
I also do not advertise what I am into at school but that's for other reasons.

okay i am sick of not being able to sig stuff. This going into my signature.

Forever Curious
2010-02-22, 03:25 PM
Cosplay as Summon the Slender Man for school.

That is all.

There I fixed it.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-22, 04:14 PM
Well, I was at the doctors office today, but tommorow I'm gonna handle these guys.

Dvil
2010-02-22, 04:45 PM
Let us know how it goes. I don't think it needs mentioning how much support you have from us (yes, even lurkers like me).

Forever Curious
2010-02-22, 04:58 PM
Let us know how it goes. I don't think it needs mentioning how much support you have from us (yes, even lurkers like me).

I second this support.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-22, 05:20 PM
Yay! supporters!

Kallisti
2010-02-22, 05:52 PM
Go get 'em. Then take photos of yourself holding their mangled corpses and go be the envy of the "YOU! Picture/Media" thread. After all, how many of them posed with the corpses of their victims?
...which is my way of saying "I third the support." But, you know, this way sounds cooler.

babeeroniea
2010-02-22, 06:02 PM
so how are you gonna do it? You gonna beat em' up? Or are you summoning the slender man? OH OH!! You are going to train for years as a ninja and then when at your highscool reunion when they are all talking about what they are now tell them you are a ninja then stab them.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-22, 06:06 PM
so how are you gonna do it? You gonna beat em' up? Or are you summoning the slender man? OH OH!! You are going to train for years as a ninja and then when at your highscool reunion when they are all talking about what they are now tell them you are a ninja then stab them.
The last one, if I had time, but I have a plan that requires little time. I'm gonna take off my socks, fill them with gravel on the way to school, and walk the halls untill I see the one that took my book. Then I'll randomly tackle him and beat him with my gravel sock

Kallisti
2010-02-22, 06:13 PM
Gravel? Sod that, go buy a halfbrick. And find a good lawyer, since this is, y'know, assault we're talking about here.

If I were you, I'd find some way to hold my own in a fight, be it training or buying some pepper spray or what-have-you, and then not use it unless I actually had to. Since attacking a guy who beat you up in the past is illegal and all. Fighting back when he tries to beat you up is less likely to result in your suspension, and you get to beat the tar out of him either way. I'd say "and maybe you'll get lucky and never HAVE to defend yourself," but it sounds like that's probably not how things'll turn out.

Maximum Zersk
2010-02-22, 07:47 PM
I say attack when they attack. It gives you somewhat of an alibi.

Voldecanter
2010-02-22, 09:06 PM
Wow my best advice would to not wail on people , with heavy objects at school , it didn't work out too well for me , So Don't do it.....However , I would be a hypocrite because It made me feel like I stood up for myself for the first time in my life , and although the consequences were laughable and not serious , they could have been ....so don't wail on people ?

Solaris
2010-02-22, 10:40 PM
Wow my best advice would to not wail on people , with heavy objects at school , it didn't work out too well for me , So Don't do it.....However , I would be a hypocrite because It made me feel like I stood up for myself for the first time in my life , and although the consequences were laughable and not serious , they could have been ....so don't wail on people ?

It's not hypocrisy, it's speaking from experience. Now, if you were to continue to bludgeon your problems and say "Violence is wrong", then that would make you a hypocrite.
Oddly, I'm one who has never seen violence as being inherently wrong, but I'm of the school that picking a fight and losing won't get anywhere.

Roland St. Jude
2010-02-22, 11:35 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: If we could not have threads about doing real world violence to people, especially those that advocate such a thing, that'd be better for all involved.