PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Computer Forum.

Weiser_Cain
2010-02-19, 09:46 PM
So I was on a computer board for a few years, it had case mods and technical advice, great. But a topic of mine got deleted and I got a language warning for asking about blocking flash ads, you know those really annoying ones that talk at you. I asked about the warning and he was honest and said it was so he wouldn't lose money because I wouldn't be looking at his ads... So I'm never going there again. I would like a new site though, know any good ones?

Yarram
2010-02-19, 11:31 PM
You can download a firefox mod that automatically removes adds called foof (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7539).
IMHO, I think it's a silly reason to change forums just for getting a warning asking you not to complain about adds, which are probably the only reason the site still exists. Just use the add blocker.

Vaynor
2010-02-19, 11:42 PM
IMHO, I think it's a silly reason to change forums just for getting a warning asking you not to complain about adds, which are probably the only reason the site still exists. Just use the add blocker.

This. Can't blame the guy for trying to make some money. If you don't see the ads, he doesn't get paid.

Weiser_Cain
2010-02-20, 01:46 AM
It's one thing if he had popped in and said 'please don't block my ads', but to delete my topic and then give me a language infraction as a warning I'll be banned if I bring this up again? Every website is give and take. He can run his site like he wants and I can deny him my precious eyes and the revenue (all 5¢) he was so shadily trying to hold onto.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-20, 07:04 AM
I can't help with the forum, but for ads I use Adblock Plus (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865), the Firefox add-on.

I've been using for months with no problems, and the best part (in my mind) is that you can turn it off for certain sites if you want to provide them with the revenue they would get, or just block specific ads if you're just tired of a certain one (Evony :smallannoyed:).

valadil
2010-02-20, 09:29 AM
I like reddit for tech news and stack overflow for programming questions. I don't stick to any one forum when I have tech problems though - I find I get better help if I go to a forum for the specific problem I'm dealing with.

marqmajere
2010-02-20, 03:01 PM
I always browse nvnews and rage3d. Between the two they seem to have a fair bit of knowledge about computer.