PDA

View Full Version : Immunity to paralysis and taking a axe ot the spine.

Grifthin
2010-02-20, 06:02 AM
Lets say you are immune to paralysis and take a axe to the lower spine. How would you rule ? Loss of legs ? Or you keep going regardless ? Or any other severe physical injury that results in paralysis.

Zombimode
2010-02-20, 06:10 AM
Thats a semantic fallacy.

The term "paralysis" in the D&D terminology is != the term "paralysis" in common english. The former is derived from the later because similar but not equal effects are described.

PhoenixRivers
2010-02-20, 06:12 AM
Depends. If it's just magical paralysis, and a nonmagical attack left someone paralyzed, then they're paralyzed.

If it's all paralysis, then they keep moving. Perhaps necromantic energies keep the parts moving, perhaps the creature has other ways of controlling its motion. Regardless, it wouldn't work.

Runestar
2010-02-20, 06:32 AM
Yeah, but paralysis stemming from a severe spinal injury is not represented in dnd terms. Paralysis in dnd is assumed to come from an external source, such as the hold person spell.

In game terms, I would rule such a physical paralysis (like aforementioned axe to the spine) as simply having 0 dex. While its drawbacks would simulate the paralysis condition, it would not be paralysis for all intents and purposes of interacting with immunity to paralysis property. :smallsmile:

AslanCross
2010-02-20, 06:33 AM
Since D&D doesn't have a called shot system by default, it doesn't necessarily follow that any hit scored on a body part will disable it. I think it would be up to the DM to adjudicate it, but I'd say that striking a 50-foot-long dragon's spine with an axe will not automatically paralyze it. I'd still probably give the target creature a fort save.

faceroll
2010-02-20, 07:21 AM
Immunity to paralysis means you have a way to circumvent paralyzing effects- whether it be elemental or necromantic powers or lacking centralized nerve bundles that could be targeted by said ax.

Runestar
2010-02-20, 07:41 AM
Immunity to paralysis means you have a way to circumvent paralyzing effects- whether it be elemental or necromantic powers or lacking centralized nerve bundles that could be targeted by said ax.

Only if the effect is explicitly called out as paralysis. This is why a dragon is affected by shivering touch. It has 0 dex, which leaves it unable to move, but this is technically not paralysis, and thus ignores its immunity.

My solution is very simple. Having your spinal chord severed does not paralyze you (at least not in dnd terms). It merely simulates that condition for ease of implementation. :smallbiggrin:

faceroll
2010-02-20, 07:56 AM
Only if the effect is explicitly called out as paralysis. This is why a dragon is affected by shivering touch. It has 0 dex, which leaves it unable to move, but this is technically not paralysis, and thus ignores its immunity.

My solution is very simple. Having your spinal chord severed does not paralyze you (at least not in dnd terms). It merely simulates that condition for ease of implementation. :smallbiggrin:

RAW, dragons are immune to the effects of shivering touch.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#abilityDamaged

Runestar
2010-02-20, 08:04 AM
RAW, dragons are immune to the effects of shivering touch.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#abilityDamaged

Not according to customer service, if they can be trusted.

Hello Ken,

Unfortuantely not. While having a 0 Dex mimics the effects of paralysis, it is entirely separate. The Dragon will not be immune to the Effects of a 0 Dex due to his Paralysis immunity.

Good Luck and Game On!

bosssmiley
2010-02-20, 10:47 AM
Paralysis in D&D = immobilizing effect, not permanent CNS damage. :smallwink:

Yzzyx
2010-02-20, 10:48 AM
Lets say you are immune to paralysis and take a axe to the lower spine. How would you rule ? Loss of legs ? Or you keep going regardless ? Or any other severe physical injury that results in paralysis.

As others have mentioned, there's no rule saying what happens if you take an axe to the lower spine, regardless of paralyzation immunity. As such, like all things, it's up to the DM. Things immune to critical hits probably don't mind losing a spine (if they have one) though; undead are don't care about having a mind flayer flayer their minds or a vorpal sword cut off their heads.

EDIT: Gahh! I'm a halfling in the playground! I've lost my natrual flight and invisiblity at will! I'm vulnerable! Well... at least I can try to be a caster now. I'd hate to be something like a troll or an ogre, with lots of hit dice and level adjustment.

Gnaeus
2010-02-20, 03:00 PM
If you don't rule that they are the same with respect to things immune to paralysis, be prepared for casters to start trying for effects that do CNS damage, either with custom spells or stuff like wish. The easier rule is that they are the same and spells that heal/protect from 1 work on the other as well.

Tanuki Tales
2010-02-20, 03:10 PM
Not according to customer service, if they can be trusted.

Well, unless Paralyzation from Ability Damage is specifically different from paralyzation from other sources, by RAW the dragon would be immune. The dragon type even specifically goes to say they're only immune to "magic" sleep effects, not just sleep effects, while for paralysis it just says that.

Thrawn183
2010-02-20, 03:28 PM
How about immune to critical hits and taking an axe to the heart?

Seriously, if you let this one go, you have to let them all go, and everything falls apart.

Tanuki Tales
2010-02-20, 03:33 PM
How about immune to critical hits and taking an axe to the heart?

Seriously, if you let this one go, you have to let them all go, and everything falls apart.

Well, immunity to Crit hits kind of means they either:

A. Have no organs
B. Have no conventional organs
C. Don't rely on those organs to function
D. Some combination of the above.
E. Something else.

So it's not the same thing.

erikun
2010-02-20, 06:03 PM
I have to agree with Runestar here. Taking severe spinal damage would be the equilivant of being dropped to 0 Dexterity, with no chance of recovery. Creatures who are normally immune to ability damage (undead, constructs, elementals) are also immune, and have no trouble wandering around with axes in their spines.

If you, as a DM, wish to rule that 0 Dex is not paralysis in some conditions, then I think we're taking the conversation in a completely different direction.

Zexion
2010-02-20, 06:06 PM
I suggest that taking a hit to the spinal cord results in a DC 20 Fortitude Save to avoid 10d4 Dex damage, with the DC decreasing by 4 for every size category lower the attacker is.

J.Gellert
2010-02-20, 06:52 PM
How about freedom of movement and being entombed in a 5x5 cube of solid cement that has been allowed to set?

That's why you have a DM, use him :smallbiggrin: