PDA

View Full Version : A power I can't remember (3.5)

Cyperphobe
2010-02-20, 10:54 AM
So I'm looking to make a psion(telepath) and i seem to remember one of their powers being a sort of 'For an XP cost, reselect all your powers and/or spells' type deal. Am I making things up? Because I can't find anything similar.

Many thanks if you can help me

DragoonWraith
2010-02-20, 10:55 AM
Psychic Reformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm)

Yuki Akuma
2010-02-20, 11:59 AM
Also lets you reselect feats and skills.

Not classes, though, which makes one wonder what happens when you replace a prerequisite feat. Other than your DM smacking you, I mean.

FishAreWet
2010-02-20, 12:12 PM
Also lets you reselect feats and skills.

Not classes, though, which makes one wonder what happens when you replace a prerequisite feat. Other than your DM smacking you, I mean.

You lose access the PrC. Complete Warrior page 18.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-20, 12:20 PM
You lose access the PrC. Complete Warrior page 18.

You lose access to CW Prcs (Dragon deciple DMG).

DragoonWraith
2010-02-20, 12:22 PM
CArc PrCs, too, IIRC.

sofawall
2010-02-20, 12:53 PM
You lose access to CW Prcs (Dragon deciple DMG).

You know, when you show an example that shows a rule makes no sense by RAW, it really proves nothing. This is D&D 3.5. You can find contradictory rules in just about every D&D 3.5 book ever published.

Xenogears
2010-02-20, 01:29 PM
You know, when you show an example that shows a rule makes no sense by RAW, it really proves nothing. This is D&D 3.5. You can find contradictory rules in just about every D&D 3.5 book ever published.

IIRC the rule only says something along the lines of "The PrC's in this book..."

So by precise wording it only would affect the PrC's in that book.

sonofzeal
2010-02-20, 01:51 PM
IIRC the rule only says something along the lines of "The PrC's in this book..."

So by precise wording it only would affect the PrC's in that book.
Wrong.

"If a character no longer meets the requirements for a prestige class, he or she loses....."

Absolutely no mention of "this book" in that paragraph, or anything else in the entire section ("Meeting Class Requirements").

DragoonWraith
2010-02-20, 02:38 PM
Except the Dragon Discipline made perfect sense until CWar came along. It sounds to me like the authors of CWar did not actually know the intended rule.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-20, 06:08 PM
Except the Dragon Discipline made perfect sense until CWar came along. It sounds to me like the authors of CWar did not actually know the intended rule.

Which is why creature type requirements for a PrC that will ultimately change your type and subtype are rediculous. They got it right with the Dread Necromancer (up until Cust Serv saw it).

Volkov
2010-02-20, 06:11 PM
How does that work? Do you instantly revert back to being human somehow?

Greenish
2010-02-20, 06:13 PM
How does that work? Do you instantly revert back to being human somehow?You enter a never-ending loop causing the multiverse to collapse on itself.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-20, 06:43 PM
How does that work? Do you instantly revert back to being human somehow?

Yes, and no. At the Same time.

Because CW says it stops having access you revert to human, but at that same second you gain dragonghood from the Prc (because now you qualify). But at the same time you also lose it threby gaining it.

Basically you are Schroedinger's class. You are neither a dragon nor not a dragon at all times.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-02-20, 07:38 PM
Yes, and no. At the Same time.

Because CW says it stops having access you revert to human, but at that same second you gain dragonghood from the Prc (because now you qualify). But at the same time you also lose it threby gaining it.

Basically you are Schroedinger's class. You are neither a dragon nor not a dragon at all times.

I vaguely recall an FAQ detailing that PrCs cannot invalidate themselves a la Dragon Disciple. Sure, it's not truly RAW, but at least they said something about the issue other than Customer Service ripping it back into the loop.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-20, 07:38 PM
I vaguely recall an FAQ detailing that PrCs cannot invalidate themselves a la Dragon Disciple. Sure, it's not truly RAW, but at least they said something about the issue other than Customer Service ripping it back into the loop.

Could you find it?

Drolyt
2010-02-20, 07:50 PM
I don't have my DMG with me at the moment, but the SRD says "Race: Any nondragon (cannot already be a half-dragon)." It's a weird way to read it, but you could interpret "already" to mean that it is fine if you become a half-dragon after you take the class. I think the real answer though is that they just weren't thinking when they did that.
Edit: Why isn't there an arcane version of psychic reformation?

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-20, 09:51 PM
Edit: Why isn't there an arcane version of psychic reformation?There is. It's called mindrape.

tonberrian
2010-02-20, 10:47 PM
There is. It's called mindrape.

Mindrape has those nasty [evil] connotations, though.

Drolyt
2010-02-20, 11:38 PM

It's possible you're looking at a different version of Mindrape, but the one I'm looking at does no such thing.

Xenogears
2010-02-20, 11:58 PM
It's possible you're looking at a different version of Mindrape, but the one I'm looking at does no such thing.

Logic would dictate that rewriting someones mind to be and contain anything you wanted it to would allow you to change their feats but no it does not say you can.

Godskook
2010-02-21, 12:19 AM

Funny, I thought it was the Chaos Shuffle.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-21, 12:23 AM
Isn't Embrace the Dark Chaos kind of evil?

Tanaric
2010-02-21, 12:26 AM

You just Mindrape yourself into being a goody two-shoes again after the fact.

Obviously. :smalltongue:

Godskook
2010-02-21, 12:29 AM

I'm not entirely up on the spells exactly, but going by their names, I would assume that shun the dark chaos would balance that out a little, wouldn't it?

Xenogears
2010-02-21, 12:32 AM
I'm not entirely up on the spells exactly, but going by their names, I would assume that shun the dark chaos would balance that out a little, wouldn't it?

I dunno. I don't normally count periodically worshipping and then abandoning evil powers solely to gain more power as a good thing. Maaaybe nuetral...

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-21, 12:45 AM
I dunno. I don't normally count periodically worshipping and then abandoning evil powers solely to gain more power as a good thing. Maaaybe nuetral...That's Chaotic Neutral, to you, buddy.

"I swing both ways." ~Tsukiko

The Glyphstone
2010-02-21, 12:58 AM
"I go both ways." ~Julia Greenhilt

Fixed.:smallbiggrin: