PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Avengers

leden
2010-02-20, 12:43 PM
I saw a thread for fourth edition named "Avenger", being the geek that I am I instantly thought that someone was trying to build the (Marvel) Avengers in D&D.
That got me thinking, can classic superheroes be built using d&d 3.5? From superman to Luke Cage.
If you can make a build for them post it here. I hope we can come with some interesting builds :smallbiggrin: good luck!

Admiral Squish
2010-02-20, 12:51 PM
I'm in full support of this initiative.

Greenish
2010-02-20, 12:57 PM
Shifter totemist (with sphinx claws bound on totem slot). Guess who?

Nightcrawler could be (unarmed) swordsage.

Batman would be Factotum! (Robin would be monk. :smallwink:)

And so forth. There are plenty of superhero build threads though.

Tanuki Tales
2010-02-20, 02:31 PM
Shifter totemist (with sphinx claws bound on totem slot). Guess who?

Batman would be Factotum! (Robin would be monk. :smallwink:)

And so forth. There are plenty of superhero build threads though.

Wolverine would be better built as a Feral Human then a Shifter.

Yora
2010-02-20, 02:37 PM
Iron Man would be an Artificer/Fighter.
Poison Ivy would be Druid/Rogue.
Cyclops would be a ranged Soulblade.:smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2010-02-20, 05:04 PM
...uh, people...Avengers has a set roster (including a lot of lineup changes). Not every superhero is a member, and especially NOT DC characters! :smallbiggrin:

Hulk = 1/2 Ogre Barbarian/Warhulk
Thor = Fighter or Paladin with Divine Ranks
Scarlet Witch = Hexblade, or maybe a Luckstealer
Hawkeye = Fighter with archery feats
Captain America = Monk or Unarmed Swordsage
Quicksilver = ??
Swordsman = Fighter or some ToB class
Black Knight = Paladin (non casting variant?)
Black Widow = ??
Hercules = Barbarian with Divine Ranks
Vision = Warforged Factotum (or Dragonfire Adept)

Greenish
2010-02-20, 05:11 PM
...uh, people...Avengers has a set roster (including a lot of lineup changes). Not every superhero is a member, and especially NOT DC characters! :smallbiggrin:Despite the thread name, the original post clearly only asks for "classic superheroes".

Also, I haven't seen much feral-template art, do they get awesome sideburns?

[Edit]:

Captain America = Monk or Unarmed SwordsageWarblade/Bloodstorm Blade focused on shield (and unarmed)?

RagnaroksChosen
2010-02-20, 05:16 PM
Iron Man would be an Artificer/Fighter.
Poison Ivy would be Druid/Rogue.
Cyclops would be a ranged Soulblade.:smallbiggrin:

I think iron man should be a artificer/warlock...

and cyclops should totaly be a soulbow.

Thurbane
2010-02-20, 05:17 PM
Despite the thread name, the original post clearly only asks for "classic superheroes".
Ah, missed that. :smallredface:

Greenish
2010-02-20, 05:19 PM
Ah, missed that. :smallredface:Read the forums long enough and you'll roll a natural 1 on your spot check sooner or later. :smallwink:

Darth Stabber
2010-03-22, 10:35 AM
Professor x - psion(telepath)
Luke Cage - Psychic warrior1~4/fighterX
Captain America - Shieldsage/ranger(favored enemy: Nazi)
Dr. Doom - Artificer
Magneto - Psion(kineticist)
Loki - Arcane trickster with divine rank
Squirrel Girl - Druid

Telonius
2010-03-22, 11:06 AM
Aquaman: Commoner with a Trident of Fish Command.
Squirrel Girl: Kobold, wildshaped into Sarrukh, etc.
Doctor Strange: Archivist.

Hulk has to have some Frenzied Berserker in there.

Draxar
2010-03-22, 11:14 AM
Thor = Fighter or Paladin with Divine Ranks

Surely Thor is the very image of a Divine Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/mYkD5jL8N9SAcClN3pZ.html)

Person_Man
2010-03-22, 11:18 AM
Iron Man (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6900315&postcount=3). Homebrew, but it's seen a lot of playtesting, with positive feedback.

JonestheSpy
2010-03-22, 12:41 PM
Aquaman: Commoner with a Trident of Fish Command.

Do not. Diss. Aquaman. (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGjfJuBEQZM&feature=related)

As Ookkla the Mok so wisely pointed out "Let's see you get by underwhater as well as I do on the ground".

Haven
2010-03-22, 01:30 PM

Nightcrawler's a swashbuckling swordsman through-and-through. Not necessarily a Swashbuckler, though, but definitely a swashbuckler.

He'd also have some weird template that gives him nightvision, invisibility in shadowy areas, a modest Dex bonus, and of course, Dimension Door at-will.

Mongoose87
2010-03-22, 01:36 PM
Hulk = 1/2 Ogre Barbarian/Warhulk

Hulk would totally be a Goliath Barbarian, so he actually increases his size, when he rages.

Thurbane
2010-03-22, 08:08 PM
Hulk would totally be a Goliath Barbarian, so he actually increases his size, when he rages.
Cool, never knew about that ability. Nice one. :smallsmile:

Nightcrawler's a swashbuckling swordsman through-and-through. Not necessarily a Swashbuckler, though, but definitely a swashbuckler.

He'd also have some weird template that gives him nightvision, invisibility in shadowy areas, a modest Dex bonus, and of course, Dimension Door at-will.
Also, Spider Climb at will. Sounds like maybe a gestalt Swashbuckler//Dragonfire Adept or similar. I know Copper Dragon Shamans get at will Spider Climb...I think Warlock can too? Also, some Shadow Dancer seems apt.

There's a few templates that grant massive hide/shadow bonuses. Dim Door is a good fit for his bamfing, as he needs to rest after doing it (or did, back when i still collected X-men). I think the range can be pretty massive though...maybe beyond what Dim Door can achieve.

Prehensile tail could be a graft of some sort? I have seen him wielding 3 rapiers a couple of times - one in each hand, and one in his tail.

Also, don't underrate his DEX - it should be fairly massive. In the marvel-verse, the only characters I can think of that would come close are The Beast and Spiderman. Although I do recall in an Excalibur comic, someone commented that his agility was all training and natural talent, and not part of his mutations.

...of all the superheroes that spring immediately to mind, IMHO Nightcrawler would be one of the most fun to play in D&D. :smallsmile:

General_Ghoul
2010-03-22, 09:21 PM

Wouldn't he be a half tiefling/ maybe half gith?

HunterOfJello
2010-03-22, 09:38 PM
how about Deadpool?

fights like a swordsage with the reckless tendencies of a warblade/barbarian

teleports around and can scale tall buildings

seems like a fun character to play actually...

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-22, 10:48 PM
Cool, never knew about that ability. Nice one. :smallsmile:

Also, Spider Climb at will. Sounds like maybe a gestalt Swashbuckler//Dragonfire Adept or similar. I know Copper Dragon Shamans get at will Spider Climb...I think Warlock can too? Also, some Shadow Dancer seems apt.

There's a few templates that grant massive hide/shadow bonuses. Dim Door is a good fit for his bamfing, as he needs to rest after doing it (or did, back when i still collected X-men). I think the range can be pretty massive though...maybe beyond what Dim Door can achieve.

Prehensile tail could be a graft of some sort? I have seen him wielding 3 rapiers a couple of times - one in each hand, and one in his tail.

Also, don't underrate his DEX - it should be fairly massive. In the marvel-verse, the only characters I can think of that would come close are The Beast and Spiderman. Although I do recall in an Excalibur comic, someone commented that his agility was all training and natural talent, and not part of his mutations.

...of all the superheroes that spring immediately to mind, IMHO Nightcrawler would be one of the most fun to play in D&D. :smallsmile:

Needs Tellflamar shadow lord, for shado pounce and also dark template.

Actually I believe there was build for nightcrawler on the Warlock's compilation archive at BG

Darth Stabber
2010-03-22, 11:33 PM
Deadpool's teleportation was is through a device given to him by Cable.

I would lean to rogue or swordsage(maybe retooled as a gunsage) for his classes

DegenPaladin
2010-03-23, 12:33 AM
Human Rogue 3/Warlock 6/Telflammar Shadowlord 4/Child of Night 7

Rogue 1: Trapfinding, SA +1d6, Dodge, Mobility
Rogue 2: Evasion
Warlock 1: Least invocation, Blind fight
Warlock 2: Least invocation, Detect Magic
Warlock 3: DR 1/cold iron
Warlock 4: Darkness, Decieve Item, Spring Attack
Warlock 5:
Warlock 6: Flee the Scene
Rogue 3: SA +2d6, Trapsense +1, Quicken: Flee the Scene
Telflammar Shadowlord 1: Shadowsight, shadow jump
Telflammar Shadowlord 2: Shadow blur
Telflammar Shadowlord 3: Shadow walk, Feat
Telflammar Shadowlord 4: Shadow pounce
Child of Night 1: Cloak of Shadows, cold resistance 5
Child of Night 2: Sustaining shadow (eat 1 meal/week), Feat
Child of Night 3: Dancing shadows 1/day
Child of Night 4: Cloak of shadows (blur 1/day) sustaining shadow (sleep 1 hour/day)
Child of Night 5: Cold resistance 10, Feat
Child of Night 6: Cloak of shadows (blur 3/day), sustaining shadow (immune to poison/disease)
Child of Night 7: Dancing shadows 2/day

BAB 13; F/R/W: 6/11/12; Casts as Warlock 12 (6d6 blast, 1 Greater invocation)

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-23, 12:47 AM

Actually, when I built him, he was a Strongheart Halfling with Stoneblessed levels to qualify for Goliath Barbarian ACF (and Spirit Lion totem for pounce), then Hulking Hurler, then Warhulk, a one-level dip of Crusader for the self-healing and DR and temporary hit points every round, and finished it off with a single level of Frenzied Berserker for the unpredictability of his rages.

As Bruce Banner, he has a strength of 6. When he 'hulks out', he's got a Strength of over 40.

Draxar
2010-03-23, 06:41 AM
I'd see nightcrawler as a Swordsage with a fair bit of Shadow Hand, maybe some Tiger's Claw, and Improved Unarmed Strike. Shadow Hand allows for the walking on wallks and repeated teleports, though not as fast as he sometimes does them.

Mauther
2010-03-23, 10:58 AM
Captain America would be a multiclass Fighter Paladin, with all of the feats dropped into sheild feats and leadership.

BadJuJu
2010-03-23, 11:32 AM
Captain America is easily a Bloodstorm Blade.

Macrovore
2010-03-23, 02:18 PM
Actually, when I built him, he was a Strongheart Halfling with Stoneblessed levels to qualify for Goliath Barbarian ACF (and Spirit Lion totem for pounce), then Hulking Hurler, then Warhulk, a one-level dip of Crusader for the self-healing and DR and temporary hit points every round, and finished it off with a single level of Frenzied Berserker for the unpredictability of his rages.

As Bruce Banner, he has a strength of 6. When he 'hulks out', he's got a Strength of over 40.

Go Bear totem. Hulk definitely has Improved Grab, though not necessarily pounce. Also, he needs to boost his INT a bunch.

And I feel like Nightcrawler would do best as a warlock who uses Furious Blow. Make him an infusion that just dimension doors him. Also, possibly give him that PrC from Dragonmarked (orien scout, was it?) that had a bunch of awesome stuff for teleporting combatants (though it went through the dragonmark. just houserule it for normal teleporting).

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-23, 02:22 PM
Go Bear totem. Hulk definitely has Improved Grab, though not necessarily pounce. Also, he needs to boost his INT a bunch.

And I feel like Nightcrawler would do best as a warlock who uses Furious Blow. Make him an infusion that just dimension doors him. Also, possibly give him that PrC from Dragonmarked (orien scout, was it?) that had a bunch of awesome stuff for teleporting combatants (though it went through the dragonmark. just houserule it for normal teleporting).

Actually warlock have an invocation which gives them DDoor (at a reduced tange tought) and for attacking and teleporting thats why there is telflammar shadow lord (shadow pounce let's you a full attack after everytime you use a a spell/power/ability with the teleport descriptor)

Eldariel
2010-03-23, 02:23 PM

I prefer standard Human or other small (in stature, not size category) race taking Stoneblessed: Goliath and then Barbarian > War Hulk. Might throw some Frenzied Berserker in there as he does tend to Frenzy quite a bit. And he definitely has Destructive and Intimidating Rage. This way you get the Large Size and massive Str increase as you Rage while being the nice scientist guy otherwise.

EDIT: Yeah, what Shneekey said.

Evard
2010-03-23, 09:30 PM
how about Deadpool?

fights like a swordsage with the reckless tendencies of a warblade/barbarian

teleports around and can scale tall buildings

seems like a fun character to play actually...

He would have to have the Knowledge skill [meta gaming] since deadpool broke the 4th wall a few times :D

Roderick_BR
2010-03-23, 11:12 PM
...uh, people...Avengers has a set roster (including a lot of lineup changes). Not every superhero is a member, and especially NOT DC characters! :smallbiggrin:

Ser roster? You haven't been reading comics the past 15 years... They change their members more often than the Justice League.
There had one point that nearly half the Marvel universe was in their ranks, some as honorary/temporary, like Spiderman, Mr.Fantastic, and Invisible Woman.

But yes, no DC character, unless you count the Marvel/DC crossovers... :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2010-03-24, 01:27 AM
Ser roster? You haven't been reading comics the past 15 years... They change their members more often than the Justice League.
There had one point that nearly half the Marvel universe was in their ranks, some as honorary/temporary, like Spiderman, Mr.Fantastic, and Invisible Woman.

But yes, no DC character, unless you count the Marvel/DC crossovers... :smallbiggrin:
In actual fact, it's probably been closer to 20 years since I stopped collecting comics. I hear you though - set roster is a bit of a misnomer. They have had a ton of heroes join and leave, even back when I was still up to date with the Marvel-verse. :smallsmile: