PDA

View Full Version : Oh no!

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 12:52 PM
Well, today just went down the crapper. I was assigned Saturday detention and my mom even called last night to remind me. But when I woke up, I was already late, but I felt to bad to get off the couch (My brother has had strep throat, and I guess I caught it) when my grandpaw woke up, I was about two hours late. They won't let you go in late :smallannoyed: . So now, when I go to school tommrow, their either gonna lock me in the janitor closet (they call it In-School-Suspension) or give me "Alternitive school" (where they send you too a different school for a week and put you in a little cubicle and have to write lines for 8 hours). And I can't even take anymore sick days or I have to repeat my freshmen year! (I have ulceratic colitis (SP?) so I miss alot of school because of my stomach pains) what do I do?

ForzaFiori
2010-02-20, 12:56 PM
I don't know what to do about the suspension, other than just take what they give you. Sometimes you gotta know when to just take it.

As for the missing days, I don't know how your school works, but at mine if you miss more than the normal days, you can stay after school in detention to make up the time, and if your grades are high, they wont fail you to begin with. I've missed close to 2 or 2.5 times the number of days you can miss usually, and never even been threatened with being failed. I would suggest checking with the school if there is anything you can do. Explain to them about the ulceratic colitis and that your in danger of being failed, and see if there is any way to make up the seat time.

Em Blackleaf
2010-02-20, 01:03 PM
Your school might be different than mine (which it seems to be just from what you've said about detention and "Alternative school"), but you should be able to get a doctor's note about your stomach pains, excusing your absences. You should see about their policy on absences like that.

I hope this helps! Good luck with getting this figured out.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 01:04 PM
Well, last year, I actually had to get the doctor (I love my doctor) to go up to the school because they said I was lying

Moff Chumley
2010-02-20, 01:11 PM
From everything you've said about your school? Your best course of action is to find a better one. :smalleek:

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 01:14 PM
My mom refuses to let me change :(

Ikialev
2010-02-20, 01:16 PM
"Alternitive school" (where they send you too a different school for a week and put you in a little cubicle and have to write lines for 8 hours).
what the hell.

Ignore your mother, change school.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 01:18 PM
Well, I'm 15, I haven't any rights :(

Em Blackleaf
2010-02-20, 01:25 PM
My mom refuses to let me change :(
Have you explained that the school's administration is made up of paranoid jerks?

Seriously, this is no way for a school to behave. I thought teachers and administrators would put some effort into their students by offering ways to help you with this issue.

With a problem like this, I guess you should rely on protocol and talk to an administrator or councilor about it. I really hope they try to help you, because they should put a student's education and well-being before mistrust of the student.

Moff Chumley
2010-02-20, 01:27 PM
Uh. Why won't your mom let you change? :smallconfused:

Eldan
2010-02-20, 01:43 PM
Seriously? I don't know the american system, but I see about a dozen things in the anecdotes you mention that would get the police on the case around here. I mean, seriously. Some of those things are good reasons to go find a lawyer.

Voldecanter
2010-02-20, 01:50 PM
Well, today just went down the crapper. I was assigned Saturday detention and my mom even called last night to remind me. But when I woke up, I was already late, but I felt to bad to get off the couch (My brother has had strep throat, and I guess I caught it) when my grandpaw woke up, I was about two hours late. They won't let you go in late :smallannoyed: . So now, when I go to school tommrow, their either gonna lock me in the janitor closet (they call it In-School-Suspension) or give me "Alternitive school" (where they send you too a different school for a week and put you in a little cubicle and have to write lines for 8 hours). And I can't even take anymore sick days or I have to repeat my freshmen year! (I have ulceratic colitis (SP?) so I miss alot of school because of my stomach pains) what do I do?

Ummm, Are you Joking because I have never heard of anything like this happening over detention . I have heard something like this happening over a student with Autism but I digress . .......Best Advice I can give you ......go to the police or something ......or report them to the school board , I just know that your school is doing something morally wrong , When you have no choice but to be locked in a janitor's closet , I call that abusive , I call going to another school for punishment abusive , you should call them up on this abuse and get the proper authorities to investigate this injustice for you .

OH AND WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T GO TO A SCHOOL COUNCILOR , they are paid to agree with the school board and the school no matter what they say to your face ....Trust me first hand experience , take some wisdom from your slightly older (19) Playgrounder on this one .....just go to the authorities cuz abuse is abuse and abuse is wrong no matter the situation .

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-20, 01:52 PM
They really lock you in the janitor's closet? Really, Froog? I think you're starting to stretch it a bit.

bosssmiley
2010-02-20, 01:54 PM
Well, today just went down the crapper. I was assigned Saturday detention and my mom even called last night to remind me. But when I woke up, I was already late, but I felt to bad to get off the couch (My brother has had strep throat, and I guess I caught it) when my grandpaw woke up, I was about two hours late. They won't let you go in late. :smallannoyed:

So now, when I go to school tomorrow, they're either gonna lock me in the janitor closet (they call it In-School-Suspension) or give me "Alternative school" (where they send you too a different school for a week and put you in a little cubicle and have to write lines for 8 hours).

And I can't even take anymore sick days or I have to repeat my freshmen year! (I have ulceratic colitis (SP?) so I miss alot of school because of my stomach pains) what do I do?

Claim medical reasons for your lateness/absence (they're already a matter of record, so it's legit)
Do the time quietly and without fuss.
Don't get caught again.

Functionally, you are an inmate in a prison system* (you have limited rights, no power and lowly status). Act as such. Do not kick back against the pointlessness and injustice of it; that only attracts negative attention. Do just enough to fade into the crowd, but otherwise do only the bare minimum the system requires. The library is your haven; graduation your Shawshank escape.

"You only do two days. The day you go in, and the day you leave."
-- various, The Wire

* IANMTU, see Paul Graham's essay Why Nerds are Unpopular (http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html)

Teenagers now are useless, except as cheap labor in industries like fast food, which evolved to exploit precisely this fact. In almost any other kind of work, they'd be a net loss. But they're also too young to be left unsupervised. Someone has to watch over them, and the most efficient way to do this is to collect them together in one place. Then a few adults can watch all of them.

If you stop there, what you're describing is literally a prison, albeit a part-time one.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 02:18 PM
They really lock you in the janitor's closet? Really, Froog? I think you're starting to stretch it a bit.
Yes, really, It's called (not sure if I've said this) In-school-suspension, look it up. Not sure if it's the same where you guys are, but it's a regular punishment in my county

Voldecanter
2010-02-20, 02:20 PM
Yes, really, It's called (not sure if I've said this) In-school-suspension, look it up. Not sure if it's the same where you guys are, but it's a regular punishment in my county

Wow , I have never heard of that EVER , I mean can you link some Examples from other schools in the United States ? I mean why isn't this punishment ever portrayed On T.V seems like the perfect Nightmare Fuel for today's teenagers and Young Adults !

Marillion
2010-02-20, 02:24 PM
Man, my school had in-school suspension, but it was being locked in a classroom with hours of tedious drivel, not in a janitor's closet. Although, I could believe it, if the school is over-crowded and it doesn't have a classroom to spare. Technically, they're doing nothing illegal. Honestly, I'd pick alternative school. At the very least, it's a week away from the bullies and such, and perhaps you'll meet someone cool.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 02:25 PM
Wow , I have never heard of that EVER , I mean can you link some Examples from other schools in the United States ? I mean why isn't this punishment ever portrayed On T.V seems like the perfect Nightmare Fuel for today's teenagers and Young Adults !

Here (http://www.tandl.leon.k12.fl.us/programme/Suspensions.html)is a site explaining it

sofawall
2010-02-20, 02:26 PM

Wikipedia suggest it exists in the U.S. as well.

However, the Janitor's closet is hardly a good place to do your work.

Voldecanter
2010-02-20, 02:26 PM
When a student is put on in-school suspension, he or she is removed from the traditional classroom environment and put into a special suspension classroom, led by a teacher or team of teachers. The suspension may last a few days or weeks, depending on the student's offense, and the student may be warned that future offenses could result in additional suspension or expulsion. For the length of the suspension, the student reports for classes in the suspension room, and he or she is expected to complete homework assignments, work on projects, engage with other students, and, of course, show up for class.

Advocates of in-school suspension say that it benefits both the student and the community at large. Since the student is expected to be in school, he or she cannot be out making trouble in the community, something which can become an issue with out of school suspension. The student also maintains a regular routine which makes it easier to return to conventional classes, and the in-school suspension encourages the student to remain interested and engaged in academic issues.

The student to teacher ratio in in-school suspension programs is ideally low, allowing teachers to address their students on an individual basis. This can help teachers figure out the root causes of negative behavior, in the hopes of eradicating such behavior, and it can also help teachers identify areas of interest for the student, which might be used to customize an educational program which keeps the student interested in learning. The emphasis on maintaining a normal school routine also makes the student feel valued and important, which can be very beneficial.

UMM , that is nothing like what you are describing this seems geared to some form of Just got out of Jail students .

In-school suspension (ISS) is a disciplinary technique which is designed to penalize problem students for their behavior while still ensuring that they participate in the academic community in some way. This method of discipline has a number of supporters, who feel that it has a lot of merits when compared to more traditional out of school suspension. School districts around the world use in-school suspension, among an assortment of other options, to deal with problem students.

So Are you a Problem Student ? Worthy of Being Locked in a Janitor's Closet ...that is not ISS , and you should report it to the proper Authorities , because you and your fellow students are being abused .

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-20, 02:28 PM
Yeah, Froog, if all this kind of stuff is really happening, you need to notify the authorities. If they don't believe you, get some evidence.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 02:29 PM
Man, my school had in-school suspension, but it was being locked in a classroom with hours of tedious drivel, not in a janitor's closet. Although, I could believe it, if the school is over-crowded and it doesn't have a classroom to spare. Technically, they're doing nothing illegal. Honestly, I'd pick alternative school. At the very least, it's a week away from the bullies and such, and perhaps you'll meet someone cool.

I met a few cool people last time I was in A-school (mostly seniors from other schools that understood me) but there were few kids who thought they'd prove that they were "bad" when we were let out (to walk coach's dog :smallbiggrin: )
And hit my face into the concrete:( I don't wana go back

So Are you a Problem Student ? Worthy of Being Locked in a Janitor's Closet ...that is not ISS , and you should report it to the proper Authorities , because you and your fellow students are being abused .

No, I'm not a problem student, we just don't have any classroom space. They put a desk in the janitor closet, hand us our assignment, lock the door, and check up on us once every two hours

Voldecanter
2010-02-20, 02:38 PM
I met a few cool people last time I was in A-school (mostly seniors from other schools that understood me) but there were few kids who thought they'd prove that they were "bad" when we were let out (to walk coach's dog :smallbiggrin: )
And hit my face into the concrete:( I don't wana go back

No, I'm not a problem student, we just don't have any classroom space. They put a desk in the janitor closet, hand us our assignment, lock the door, and check up on us once every two hours

.....Still being locked in a closet ....checked on every two hours .....no teacher to actually teach you anything ...........this reminds me of one of those videos I saw on the News where a teacher did this to a kindergarten student , and even after peeing himself, throwing up , and crying they still wouldn't let him out , in fact when the student tried to leave they used force to keep him inside the isolation room , throwing him to the room , and leaving him there ...for hours ......

Your situation albeit is different , works on the same premise ............and this A-School , where you have to walk someone's dog sounds like prison ......A-school , from what I understand about the internet is suppose to be an educational environment despite what it is , and this does not seem to be educational at all ......

And being 15 does give you rights ......adults just don't like it when you know you have them :smallsmile: . Still your situation saddens me .

Totally Guy
2010-02-20, 02:42 PM
Doesn't that just invalidate the building's fire strategy?

I'm told that the one place that takes Health and Safety more seriously than us is the USA.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-20, 02:51 PM
My friend and I have concluded that you are either a liar looking for the attention you don't get at home, or you live in the Saw (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saw_%28movie%29) universe.

Em Blackleaf
2010-02-20, 03:02 PM
As far as I'm concerned, by law, you're supposed to have a teacher in a room with you. If there was a fire or something, any kid left locked in the janitor's closet is dead. This school is whack.

Emperor Ing
2010-02-20, 03:10 PM
I'm quite certain it's not a literal Janitor's closet, they're usually just a formerly unused room repurposed into an ISS (In-School Suspension) room. A janitor's closet would be blatantly illegal. But it's a school, so they can get away with it.

And saying our school system is whack is like saying liquid nitrogen is cold. :smallsigh:

Fawkes
2010-02-20, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I think Froogley is embellishing a bit.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-20, 03:15 PM
If this is true then involve the police, immediately. I can guarantee that locking students in a janitor closet will result in at least one arrest.

Hell if you don't someone else should because that is seriously ****ed up.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 03:27 PM
I'm quite certain it's not a literal Janitor's closet, they're usually just a formerly unused room repurposed into an ISS (In-School Suspension) room. A janitor's closet would be blatantly illegal. But it's a school, so they can get away with it.

And saying our school system is whack is like saying liquid nitrogen is cold. :smallsigh:

It was a janitor closet at one point in time, But it now only used for ISS, It is constently monitored though (has a window in the door) and for those acusing me of lying, I could care less if you guys believed me, I'm just asking what I should do

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-20, 03:36 PM
It was a janitor closet at one point in time, But it now only used for ISS, It is constently monitored though (has a window in the door) and for those acusing me of lying, I could care less if you guys believed me, I'm just asking what I should do

You've put these kinds of threads up before, and we have all tried to help and tell you what you should do. That is, notify the authorities.

/thread

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 03:37 PM
Besides, It may have changed, I haven't had it sense elementery school

Emperor Ing
2010-02-20, 03:43 PM
Here's an idea

Give the Admins your doctor's phone number to verify illness

Give the Admins information about your condition

Talk to the school nurse about the above

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 03:44 PM
Here's an idea

I'll give that a try :) You mean the school admins right?

Emperor Ing
2010-02-20, 03:46 PM
I'll give that a try :) You mean the school admins right?

Of course. GL HF DD KA* :smallsmile:

Eldan
2010-02-20, 03:48 PM
Why Nerds are Unpopular (http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html)

See, I've seen essays like this before, and certainly enough american teenage series and movies to see how it is perceived, and I still don't quite get it. I guess I should just be thankful for not being in the US, but I've never seen anything like that... neither tables separated by popularity nor even popularity differentiated to such ridiculous degrees. I mean, some kids do get picked on, sure, but the concept of "nerd" doesn't enter the equation, and marks or intelligence are also left out of it. Oh well. Different countries and all.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 03:51 PM
Of course. GL HF DD KA* :smallsmile:

What is GL HF DD KA*

Glyphic
2010-02-20, 03:52 PM
Good luck, Have fun, Don't Die, Kick ass!

THAC0
2010-02-20, 03:52 PM
So, uh, what did you do to get detention in the first place?

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 04:08 PM
So, uh, what did you do to get detention in the first place?

Well, my vice principle called me into his office and said "Logan, where is that toboggan you been wearing" I replied "Sir?" he stood up and said "You know what I'm talking about, you were violating dress code!" I then said "Um, I don't even own a toboggan" He stood up "Don't you lie to me! we both know you were wearing a toboggan!" after ten minutes of this, I remembered that I was wearing a beret earlier. When I told him I had a beret, he gave it to me for lying

THAC0
2010-02-20, 04:10 PM
Isn't a toboggan a sled? :smallconfused:

Emperor Ing
2010-02-20, 04:11 PM
Well, my vice principle called me into his office and said "Logan, where is that toboggan you been wearing" I replied "Sir?" he stood up and said "You know what I'm talking about, you were violating dress code!" I then said "Um, I don't even own a toboggan" He stood up "Don't you lie to me! we both know you were wearing a toboggan!" after ten minutes of this, I remembered that I was wearing a beret earlier. When I told him I had a beret, he gave it to me for lying

So let me get this straight, your Vice Priciple thinks that
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:LQ39iw10M5LvYM:http://www.myiay.com/iayblog/03/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/traditional-toboggan-722013.jpg = http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:G2TealRZ-ndqIM:http://www.chapellerie-traclet.com/hat/images/french-beret-black.jpg

What the hell's going on down there?!

Yes, yes it is. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toboggan)

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-20, 04:15 PM

Wha...just what :smallconfused:

I mean no offence, but this place sounds like a cartoon. It just doesn't sound believable that this person could be in charge of a school.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 04:16 PM
It's a hat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuque)

Kurien
2010-02-20, 04:16 PM

I thought the same thing, but a Wikipedia search say toboggan is another name for a tuque. A beret merely has a passing resemblance to a tuque. I assume the vice principal heard this from another person, such as tattletale student.

Edit: Ninja'd.

THAC0
2010-02-20, 04:18 PM
Well, is the beret against the dress code?

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 04:18 PM
I thought the same thing, but a Wikipedia search say toboggan is another name for a tuque. A beret merely has a passing resemblance to a tuque. I assume the vice principal heard this from another person, such as tattletale student.

Edit: Ninja'd.

My home econonics teacher told

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 04:20 PM
Well, is the beret against the dress code?

hats are :(

Emperor Ing
2010-02-20, 04:20 PM
Someone PLEASE explain HOW a beret could possibly be against any dress code.

Ah I see. Well most (actually all) of the schools I went to that enforced the no-hats rule by telling students to remove their hats. Only the chronic hat-wearers went to detention, and even they went to detention only because they decided to talk back. :P

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-20, 04:23 PM
hats are :(

Then you shouldn't have worn it.

20_Sided_Horror
2010-02-20, 04:24 PM
Boy if u was home Id beat your butt. I told you not to wear that hat. you deserve what you get

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-20, 04:25 PM
Then you shouldn't have worn it.

+1 You can't really complain if you antagonise people you know to be insane.

THAC0
2010-02-20, 04:25 PM
After the situation having been clarified, you're just SOL here. Fact is, you violated the dress code knowingly. The situation where you forgot is unfortunate, but principals are not mind readers and the situation you describe could easily be seen as you lying. Next time, avoid the situation by not violating the code in the first place.

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 04:26 PM
{Scrubbed}

20_Sided_Horror
2010-02-20, 04:27 PM
After the situation having been clarified, you're just SOL here. Fact is, you violated the dress code knowingly. The situation where you forgot is unfortunate, but principals are not mind readers and the situation you describe could easily be seen as you lying. Next time, avoid the situation by not violating the code in the first place.

this wins the thread

Kurien
2010-02-20, 04:35 PM
In most public schools over here, most head coverings are not allowed to be worn inside the school, except if it is for cultural or religious reasons.

Still it seems like a rather trivial matter to be taken to the vice principal, unless you defiantly refused to remove the hat when the teacher asked you to.

Edit: If you already knew hats were not allowed, then I agree with ThAC0 that you should not have violated the dress code in the first place. Although I can see you thinking that since berets are cool and different, they were exempt from the rules. Did the teacher ask you to remove the beret before telling the VP?

Elm11
2010-02-20, 04:41 PM
20 Sided Horror, I'm fairly sure you've managed to so far criticize and insult froogly without adding anything to the conversation. While it's fairly true Froogly made mistakes along the line, so had his staff, and i at least know that the punishment decribed would lead to sacking here in Australia.

If nothing else, i'm sure Froogly is getting plenty criticism already especially if you do as you've stated (and for gods sake, don't). Having being in situations where you've got alot of people beating down on you, and coming for advice / comfort /whatever on the Internet, it's a crap feeling to find people there are against you too.

That's not to say people here don't have reasonable arguments. for the most part, i agree with what occurred, if nothing else because you have to consider that the principle is only one step in evolution after the rock and as such, can never be introduced with complex ideas such as similar hats having different names.

(jokes, my own principle is great, as are staff, but they tend to despise talking back (see replying) even when you have a logical responce)

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 04:44 PM
Well, I know I shouldn't have worn a hat, I just thought it'd look really cool. Alot of girls started telling me that I was "Lookin' sharp" so I was happy :)

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-20, 04:46 PM
Well, I know I shouldn't have worn a hat, I just thought it'd look really cool. Alot of girls started telling me that I was "Lookin' sharp" so I was happy :)

The question becomes: was it worth it?

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 04:48 PM
No . . . it was not. That has been established

Emperor Ing
2010-02-20, 04:57 PM
Well look at it this way. Lessoned learned, water under the bridge now, and now, you will...

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 05:05 PM
thanks guys :)

Emperor Ing
2010-02-20, 05:09 PM
thanks guys :)

See everybody? I can be a nice guy. :smallsmile:

kpenguin
2010-02-20, 05:11 PM
See everybody? I can be a nice guy. :smallsmile:

*points to the name of Rand's webcomic as his response*:smallamused:

Froogleyboy
2010-02-20, 05:14 PM
*points to the name of Rand's webcomic as his response*:smallamused:

duuude, lol

Emperor Ing
2010-02-20, 05:23 PM
What can I say, i've been through a lot of BS in my lifetime.

Maximum Zersk
2010-02-20, 05:27 PM
Did a teacher ask you to take it off? Did you talk back to said teacher?

Didnt notice rest of the thread. Sorry!

RandomNPC
2010-02-20, 07:44 PM
If there is no teacher get yourself a video camera, stand in the middle of the room, and do a full circle. Make coppies of the video, turn a copy in to the schoolmaster, tell them you were left unsupervised, if you can get yourself trying the locked door on video too. Tell them you will send a copy to the police and local news if things don't change. Then make your demands.

Actually, turn it in with a signed letter of your demands. Don't make them unreasonable.

So to everyone doubting, the janitor where i went to school got a desk and a five foot area behind the boiler for mops and whatnot. The smallest room in the building was windowless, had bad air ventilation, bad lighting, and no heat or AC, We called it the Dungeon, but it was ISS. The teacher watching over the room was whoever didn't have class at the time, thats right, teachers took lunch times and free periods to watch over ISS. Teachers were always agitated about having to watch ISS and would frequently leave the room for over half the time they were meant to be there, usually about a 45 minuet space of time.

Marillion
2010-02-20, 10:54 PM
To everyone saying that this is too 'out there' to be believable: You must never have read Matilda by Roald Dahl. In this book, Mrs. Trunchbull gets away with being a monstrous headmistress precisely because the things she does are so far over the line as to be unbelievable. No child could work up the courage to tell anyone what she did because they knew they wouldn't be believed, and if they did, their parents didn't believe them, precisely because it was unbelievable. If you're going to do something wrong, don't just do it; go so far with it that no-one dares to question you or even believes that you could have done it, even if they saw you do it. This is known as Refuge in Audacity (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RefugeInAudacity[/url), and it is surprisingly effective. I've seen people get away with truly heinous activities because no-one would or could believe that someone would do something like that, and this is probably what's going on at Froogley's school. Well, that and simply no one gives a darn.

2010-02-21, 06:16 AM
ugh, the time i was stuck in public school was like this. i just dont understand what the hell any of it has to do with education, it has far more in common with the (notably dysfunctional) prison system we have around here than any functional and sustainable(whether for-profit or charity, or even community colleges) system of education that ive seen. honestly i would look for alternatives and if they punish you for medical conditions send in the lawyers. either that or invite your schools administrators into the woods then hunt them down like animals. wound them, toy with them as they slowly realize that there is no hope, no escape, and taunt them with the corpses of their fallen-um sorry got into my high school fantasy a little there, what i was trying to say is "wow, that sucks. i know how you feel and hope you make it out *e-hug*"

Froogleyboy
2010-02-21, 12:16 PM
anyone know of any good novels/comic books that would help?

Felixaar
2010-02-22, 01:11 AM
Hey, some of the best times of my life I had in a Janitor's Closet.