PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Options 4e

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-20, 03:26 PM
I got invited to a 4e session in a weeks time, so I decide to dust of my character builder, now since I don't play 4e I don't have any updated past PHB 2 I think not really sure; BUT Ive got the hybrid thingy for the PHB1 base classe, so I thought, "Hey why not give them a try?"

Now playground options?
My first inclination was to build a Defender/Striker (First plan Warlock/Fighter)
or a controller defender (Fighter/Wiz, yay for gishes)

Now which would be the best option and some advice for the power selection?

Thanks in advance

Oracle_Hunter
2010-02-20, 06:45 PM
If your DM allows Hybrids, you can break the game without even trying.

IMHO, anyhow. Hate Hybrids :smallyuk:

Personally, I'd drop $10 to update your Character Builder. Even if you don't regularly play 4e, this will give you all you need to keep up in that campaign forever. And there's lots of good stuff not in the Free Builder.

Or get someone with a subscription to update your Builder with one of their "spare" updates.

Kurald Galain
2010-02-21, 07:58 AM
In my experience so far, hybrids are a pretty lousy mechanic. About 90% of the combinations simply don't work well, meaning you end up with an ineffective character. The other 10% consist of some weird combo enablers that the devteam hadn't thought of, and you end up with a one-trick pony that's much stronger than he should be.

If you want a hybrid, the first thing to keep in mind is ability scores. You should either pick two classes that share their primary ability (e.g. warlord/fighter for strength) or two that match up primary and secondary (e.g. a str/wis class and a wis/str class). For instance, wizard/fighter is a pretty bad combination, because wizards are int-based and get zero benefit out of str, whereas fighters are str-based and get zero benefit out of int.

1of3
2010-02-21, 08:13 AM
Now playground options?
My first inclination was to build a Defender/Striker (First plan Warlock/Fighter)
or a controller defender (Fighter/Wiz, yay for gishes)

Now which would be the best option and some advice for the power selection.

There are two things you should look at, when making a hybrid:

- Stat synergy. (Provided you do not roll for stats.)

- Whether or not a hybrid class's features require attacking with a class power. You probably want only one class that does.

So, you might be better of with a Warlock/Paladin or a Swordmage/Wizard.

Or any defender that is not a fighter.