PDA

View Full Version : BioShock troubles

Morty
2010-02-20, 04:49 PM
So, I spontaneously bouth BioShock yesterday. I rarely buy video games, but it was pretty cheap so I though hey, why not. But when I got home, it turns out it doesn't work. I can install it and run it just fine, but after playing a couple of minutes, it freezes and stops responding. I'm playing it on a laptop on Windows Vista, I have Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz, 2046 Mb Ram and Ati Radeon HD 2600.
Has anyone else heard of such a thing? I don't think there's anything wrong with my copy of the game, since trying to run the demo had the same result.

onasuma
2010-02-20, 06:00 PM
Yeah, Bioshock and vista dont meld well. Just run it in windows xp compatibility mode. That clears it all up. Unless you have a wide screen... but thats another story.

Emperor Ing
2010-02-20, 06:03 PM
So, I spontaneously bouth BioShock

HERE'S your problem! :smalltongue:

Morty
2010-02-21, 09:40 AM
Yeah, Bioshock and vista dont meld well. Just run it in windows xp compatibility mode. That clears it all up. Unless you have a wide screen... but thats another story.

It doesn't seem to work. I ran it in Windows XP compatibility mode and it still freezes in the same place - when you get into the lighthouse and after descending, the film starts to play.

deuxhero
2010-02-21, 10:04 AM
Isn't the PC Verison of Bioshock the one that came with a virus?

Morty
2010-02-21, 10:18 AM
It's the first time I hear about it. But even if it were true, which I doubt, it's certain to have been fixed by now, especially since I bought it as a part of "collection of classics".

warty goblin
2010-02-21, 11:08 AM
Update your graphics and sound drivers, check to see if you're running the latest version of the game, and try reinstalling.

Morty
2010-02-21, 12:40 PM
Since the demo acted the same way, I don't think reinstalling would do much... the patch didn't work either. I suppose I'll download the newest drivers now, although it's a bit more complicated on a laptop.

warty goblin
2010-02-21, 12:56 PM
Since the demo acted the same way, I don't think reinstalling would do much... the patch didn't work either. I suppose I'll download the newest drivers now, although it's a bit more complicated on a laptop.

That could be your problem. A lot of games don't support laptop graphics cards for some reason.

Morty
2010-02-21, 01:01 PM
Yes, that's something I've been suspecting ever since it froze for the first time. This is the first game to act that way, though. I guess I was just lucky. Are there any known ways around it?

deuxhero
2010-02-21, 01:54 PM
It's the first time I hear about it. But even if it were true, which I doubt, it's certain to have been fixed by now, especially since I bought it as a part of "collection of classics".

Ok, they removed it (at least part of it) in 2008.

The game came out in 2007, how is a classic?

MrPig
2010-02-21, 02:17 PM
Ok, they removed it (at least part of it) in 2008.

It was never a virus. There was an AVG Free update which accidently flagged executables that used SecuRom as a virus. GriSoft has since fixed the problem.

Morty
2010-02-21, 02:21 PM

Don't ask me, ask the guys who labeled it as such. :smalltongue: