PDA

View Full Version : automatic metamagic and other metamagic effects

alisbin
2010-02-20, 05:03 PM
hey mates,
just wondering, if i grab automatic quicken spell, does that mean that all inherently 0-3 level spells are auto quickened? IE if i have automatic quicken spell and then cast a maximised fireball, is it quickened?

Raiki
2010-02-20, 10:37 PM
Well, in the ELH 3.5 update, wizards made it so the first time you take AQS it only auto-quickens 0-1 level spells; Adding 1 more spell level every additional time you take it. Other than that, yes, you're right.

More importantly, who actually casts regular 0-9 spells in epic? Just invent your own infinite number of free, instant creation epic spells and cast those. First invention? Spell to give you +∞ to spellcraft and Knowledge Arcana ranks. Second invention? Anything else you care to make.

Anyway, hope that helped (at least the non-snarky part anyway).

~R~

alisbin
2010-02-20, 10:45 PM
interesting, i generally run off of d20srd, that still shows 0-3... 0-1 +1/feat definitely makes it less tempting.
as for epic spellcasting cheese, i tend to severely limit cheese consumption for casters so my friends can play epic warrior types if they want and feel useful (i know they really AREN'T but it makes them feel good...), so i make use of stuff like enhance spell metamagic so my regular fireballs can do 20 or 30d6 and i blast more then i batman (again, it makes my friends happy and i enjoy it so...).
also, don't the rules state that you gain epic spell slots at a rate of 1 for every 10 RANKS not for the total?

Godskook
2010-02-20, 10:45 PM
Well, in the ELH 3.5 update, wizards made it so the first time you take AQS it only auto-quickens 0-1 level spells; Adding 1 more spell level every additional time you take it. Other than that, yes, you're right.

The SRD disagrees with you. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm)

Runestar
2010-02-20, 10:54 PM
The revision is in complete arcane. Not sure which supersedes which, though most people I know "conveniently" forgets this nerf ever existed. :smalltongue:

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-20, 11:40 PM
The Complete Arcane version replaces the SRD one.

Xenogears
2010-02-20, 11:55 PM
The Complete Arcane version replaces the SRD one.

I'm going to pretend I never read this as it makes the feat worthless.

Runestar
2010-02-21, 01:57 AM
I'm going to pretend I never read this as it makes the feat worthless.

Agreed. If you use the CA version, then you are better off just taking improved spell capacity and improved metamagic while quickening half your spells. Same effect, fewer feats.