PDA

View Full Version : A few artifact ideas [3.5, PEACH]

Fortuna
2010-02-20, 07:14 PM
Far back in time, there was a circle of twenty ancient druids who were threatened by a coalition of wizards. These wizards wished to learn how to harness nature, how to bend it to their whim, and had told the druids that until the secrets were revealed to them they would learn by trial and brutal error. The druids met quietly, taking what hidden byroads of the natural world were as yet untouched, and deliberated as to what to do. Finally they arrived at a decision: the twenty would divide into groups of five. Each group would be led by one of the oldest druids in the circle, and the four others in the group were to help their leader in a ritual that had been handed down since before the dawn of humankind, a ritual that would seal four of each group into an artifact on incredible power. It was said that the ritual could be accomplished only once, and that its performance would herald a dark age in the natural world. The druids decided that such an age was at hand, and the ritual was performed. A few terrible minutes later each of the four eldest druids held a weapon capable of wreaking great devestation in the natural world, and they then went forth to meet the wizards in terrible, bloody war. The wizards were unprepared for the druids' onslaught: the surprise attacks felled most of their numbers. After the battle, the druids went their seperate ways, agreeing to embed the weapons into hidden parts of nature in order to prevent such a war from ever occuring again. On occasion, one or two of these weapons have been uncovered at a time, but the complete set has been seperated for centuries, maybe millenia.

The Sword of Air

This +1 Keen Shocking Skillful Scimitar, the most volatile and changable of elements incarnate, is naturally devoted to change. This sword automatically adds 5 to its wielder's caster level when casting any spell with the [Air] descriptor. It also permits the wielder to cast Greater Teleport at will, as well as any spell from the Air domain. Once per day, the wielder may cast Gate with no experience point cost. By rendering the Sword's powersnull for the next twenty-four hours, the wielder may cause all enemies within a one mile radius to be subjected to the effects of a tornado-force wind for 2d4 rounds. The wielder and their allies are unaffected by this.

The Spear of Fire

A +3 Flaming Skillful Longspear (although it does not negate druid spellcasting when wielded), an avatar of one of the most destructive forces in nature, the Spear of Fire has the ability to wreak vast amounts of devastation. The spell adds 5 to its wielder's caster level when casting any spell with the [Fire] descriptor. It also grants the wielder the ability to cast Delayed Blast Fireball or any spell from the Fire domain at-will. [Fire] spells cast by the wielder are automatically Searing spells. By rendering the Spear's powers null for the next twenty-four hours, the wielder may cause all enemies within a one mile radius to suffer 5d6 fire damage and 5d6 untyped damage per round for 2d4 rounds. The wielder and their allies are unaffected by this.

The Cup of Water

This cup, or rather chalice, is useless as a weapon, but its nature as a strong elemental force of healing and firmness in equal parts made physical still gives it immense power. It must be held in one hand to grant any benefits. The holder adds 5 to their caster level when casting any spell with the [Water] descriptor. In addition, the holder can cast Heal or any spell from the Water domain at will. Once per day, the holder may cast True Resurrection with no material component. By rendering the Cup's powers null for the next 24 hours, the holder may cause all enemies within a one mile radius to be forced to make a DC 40 Swim check or be effectively drawn underwater for 2d4 rounds, although no actual water appears. A creature that makes its check is instead slowed for that time (no save)

The Stone of Earth

A non-descript rock, shaped as a rough cuboid and weighing almost 5 pounds, the Stone of Earth possesses stability, the power to resist change very easily, and the power to remove that stability when the time is right. It must be held in one hand to grant any of its powers. The holder gains a +5 bonus to their caster level when casting any spell with the [Earth] descriptor. In addition, the holder may cast Hold Monster, Mass Hold Person or any spell from the Earth domain at will. Once per day the holder may cast Time Stop once per day. By rendering the Stone's power null for twenty-four hourse, the holder may force all enemies within a one-mile radius to make a DC 40 Balance check or fall into a 20 foot pit that opens under them and anyone in the same square as them (although others in the same square recieve a seperate Balance check). If they succeed, they are instead knocked prone. They must remake this check every round for the net 2d4 rounds, and may fall into another pit inside a pit that they have already fallen into.

So these are more plot/MacGuffin level than anything else, but I'm curious as to how well they measure up to one another. Is any of them noticably more powerful than any of the others?

Glimbur
2010-02-20, 07:26 PM
Tornado force winds aren't really that bad.

Greater Teleport at will is probably the best of the at-will abilities, Gate 1/day is the best of the per day abilities with True Res getting an honorable mention as making death cheap.

Brendan
2010-02-20, 07:40 PM
I like them... maybe they should all be located together, with each one stopping the others from unleashing their powers all at once. if they get too far away from each other, maybe they cause all things related to that element to combine into a primal elemental or something (e.g. the fire spear is separated from the pack. a single spark grows into a massive fire elemental that endeavors to get the spear back, killing anyone who had a part in ti's removal. It then returns, and you roll a d2. a 1 and it goes mad and starts attacking everything it can until it's destruction. a 2 and it serves the one who owns the rest of the artifacts.

that could work... I don't know...

ArcanistSupreme
2010-02-20, 09:38 PM
Could you describe what type of action it is to activate the "no more power for 24 hours" ability? I would also like to have the "drawn underwater with no water" and "fall into a pit within a pit" abilities explained in a bit more detail. They all seem really cool and powerful, but I'm not really sure how they balance against one another. One issue I do have is that in 99.9% of all cases I would rather be able to cast greater teleport and other Air domain spells at will than subject a few baddies to tornado force winds for a few rounds. I vote to either turn down the cost or ramp up the effect so there is motivation to give up these other powerful abilities even temporarily.

Fortuna
2010-02-20, 10:03 PM
Yay! Feedback!

In order, then. Glimbur: I beg to differ on the first point. Ranged attacks become impossible (important for armies), Anything less than Large can get blown away if they fail a DC 30 Fort save, Huge creatures get knocked down on the same save, and Gargantuan/Colossal creatures can't move into the wind (which is coming from the Sword: I should probably clarify that). Your second point is, however, likely correct.

Brendan: Actually, I was more thinking that things would get nasty if they were brought together without proper protection. They're meant to be seperated, although YMMV.

Arcanist: The water thing is that you suffer the effects of being underwater, but it's actually the air around you acting like water in many ways. The pit thing is that the pit abruptly deepens/cracks again. The spells probably should be toned down, I guess: I may make these items based on a charges/day system, actually.

jack: fully agree.

DracoDei
2010-02-21, 12:30 AM
Two of the four would negate a druid's spellcasing just by weilding them.

Change the sword from a longsword to a scimitar.

Put in an explicit clause that the spear does not cause such an effect.

What size/weight is the rock?

Fortuna
2010-02-21, 01:45 AM
Nice catch, thanks.

I've edited all that in, now: the rock weighs 5 pounds and is roughly cuboidal.

Lysander
2010-02-22, 11:46 AM
To avoid negating druid spellcasting make it so the weapons aren't made out of metal. The sword can be made out of transparent glass that might actually be congealed air. The spear can be an obsidian point on a wooden shaft.

You need to specify what the area effects do to buildings, trees, etc. and what kind of devastation is left afterward.

DracoDei
2010-02-22, 01:22 PM
You need to specify what the area effects do to buildings, trees, etc. and what kind of devastation is left afterward.

Well, the Air and Fire effects are already covered under the rules I think... except maybe the question of if they get targetted in the first place, in which case if you don't get a choice in the matter, using them in friendly territory might be a bad idea.

Admiral Squish
2010-02-22, 01:27 PM
*clears throat*
Weapons of the Natural Things (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123755)
[/shamelessplug]