PDA

View Full Version : Invincible Vampire [3.5]

Volos
2010-02-20, 08:25 PM
I was flipping through the Monster Manual when it suddenly came to me, I should make an invincible vampire to challenge my players. Normally I just come up with some clever gimmick for the NPCs to take advantage of to make an adventure more challenging, but my players are in need of something a little more powerful (and if at all possible, terrifying). My players are currently on a high seas adventure, trying to return to land after having run away from a failed adventure.

What I plan on doing on doing for the vampire is, so far...
-Giving him some wonderous item that has Repel Wood on it, making him practically immune to normal stakes
-Equiping him with sundark goggles, which would allow him a full round action when suddenly caught in sunlight but also making him immune to any spell effects that rely on a burst of bright light
-Turn Resistance Feat of course
-Base Race: Aquatic Troll, making him immune to both the vamperic weakness of running water (1/3 of HP total per round underwater? I don't think so!) and also granting him massive regenative properties. Even beheading him would not slow him down... once he grew a new head that is.

So any other ideas you think I could use to make him more deadly? My chosen EL is between 11-15.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-20, 08:28 PM
What is your method of holy symbol bypassing?
Anyone with a cross can repel you.

Volos
2010-02-20, 08:32 PM
What is your method of holy symbol bypassing?
Anyone with a cross can repel you.

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that he's more then likely going to be taking levels in Wizard and Blood Magus. He doesn't need to bother with getting close to the party, but a simple shatter spell should take care of those pesky holy symbols. That and minions. Tons of undead minions.

BRC
2010-02-20, 08:33 PM
If he's a Vampire he's an undead, and therefore does not have a Con score, meaning that he loses his Regeneration.

KillianHawkeye
2010-02-20, 08:35 PM
Regeneration doesn't work once you lose your Con score. Sorry.

EDIT: Oops, ninja'd! :smalleek:

Flickerdart
2010-02-20, 08:39 PM
If your Vampire is created through the Shadow Sun Ninja capstone, he doesn't have the sunlight weakness. If your Vampire is a Vampire Lord (requires 10 base HD) then his weaknesses get severely reduced and he becomes much more powerful. Vampire Lords also pretty much can't ever be killed without DM fiat, as the listed way to kill them can be fixed with some cultist help.

Volos
2010-02-20, 08:48 PM
If he's a Vampire he's an undead, and therefore does not have a Con score, meaning that he loses his Regeneration.

You're right, I didn't read into the Regeneration that closely. I suppose I could choose a more interesting base race that has a natural swim speed.

If your Vampire is created through the Shadow Sun Ninja capstone, he doesn't have the sunlight weakness. If your Vampire is a Vampire Lord (requires 10 base HD) then his weaknesses get severely reduced and he becomes much more powerful. Vampire Lords also pretty much can't ever be killed without DM fiat, as the listed way to kill them can be fixed with some cultist help.

Alright, so which book did the Shadow Sun Ninja capstone come from? It would be hilliarous to have a daywalker in my campain. The party has dealt with every B rated Horror movie monster so far, including their fair share of vamps. I was also thinking of letting him multiclass into Master Vampire from the book of undead.

AtopTheMountain
2010-02-20, 08:53 PM
Alright, so which book did the Shadow Sun Ninja capstone come from? It would be hilliarous to have a daywalker in my campain. The party has dealt with every B rated Horror movie monster so far, including their fair share of vamps. I was also thinking of letting him multiclass into Master Vampire from the book of undead.

Tome of Battle: The Book Of Nine Swords. Prestige class.

Runestar
2010-02-20, 08:57 PM
But of course, if you could somehow give him a con score (say via an epic spell using the life seed), then yes, your undead could theoretically benefit from regeneration. :smallbiggrin:

Wings of Peace
2010-02-20, 08:59 PM
It was already mentioned but here is the link to the Vampire Lord Template (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a)

Jack_Simth
2010-02-20, 09:21 PM
It was already mentioned but here is the link to the Vampire Lord Template (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a)

Do note: That's a 3.0 template, not a 3.5 template (evidence: DR 10/+3, and the reference to the Scrying skill)