PDA

View Full Version : comical fallout misunderstanding

Harperfan7
2010-02-20, 08:59 PM
The first time I played fallout, I didn't notice the little name bar in the upper left hand corner of the character creation screen. So, throughout the game, my characters name was "None". I thought this was a shout out to the Man with No Name movies.

Did anyone else think this?

Strawberries
2010-02-21, 03:33 AM
That didn't happen to me, but I'd like to use this opportunity to vent about fallout 3.

Dear game developers, I get that your game is set in a post atomic reality. I get that it has to have a sort of cold war period feeling. I love your game, as a matter of fact.

But WHY ON EARTH your character creation process has to make me see the character as in a bad television screen straight from the fifties? If I'm making a character I want to SEE the character! Please and thank you. /venting

Ok. I feel slightly better now. As you may guess, I was a bit frustrated with the character creation screen.

king.com
2010-02-21, 05:28 AM
I thought this was about fallout 1 and 2, and not fallout missing the point edition.

Strawberries
2010-02-21, 05:35 AM
I thought this was about fallout 1 and 2, and not fallout missing the point edition.

Yep,I actually realized it after posting. Still, I feel better now :smalltongue:

Dhavaer
2010-02-21, 05:36 AM
I did this the first time I played. My second character was of course named 'Nemo'.

king.com
2010-02-21, 05:56 AM
Yep,I actually realized it after posting. Still, I feel better now :smalltongue:

Im sure yelling at fallout 3 is considered therapy.

Giggling Ghast
2010-02-21, 06:04 AM
What's there to complain about? Are you one of those haters that complains about the fantastic ending that everyone loves?

king.com
2010-02-21, 06:31 AM
What's there to complain about? Are you one of those haters that complains about the fantastic ending that everyone loves?

I dont know whether your sarcastic or serious.

SilverSheriff
2010-02-21, 06:31 AM

Candle Jack is being sarcas---

:smalltongue:

Lord of Rapture
2010-02-21, 06:35 AM

Oh come on. Not everyone is from NMA around these parts. :smalltongue:

SparkMandriller
2010-02-21, 06:49 AM

I like this post because it suggests that you could believe that someone could actually not dislike the ending to Fallout 3.

And that makes me laugh.

Avilan the Grey
2010-02-21, 06:59 AM

NOt really, no :) I usually yell for it, in a cheer-leading fashion, because it is great.

Dixieboy
2010-02-21, 09:45 PM
I like this post because it suggests that you could believe that someone could actually not dislike the ending to Fallout 3.

And that makes me laugh.
With broken steel it wasn't too bad IMO.

MrPig
2010-02-21, 09:50 PM
NOt really, no :) I usually yell for it, in a cheer-leading fashion, because it is great.

I'd have to say you're a minority.

Inhuman Bot
2010-02-21, 09:53 PM
I'd have to say you're a minority, in the NMA community.

Fixed it for you.

warty goblin
2010-02-21, 10:07 PM

And that makes me laugh.

Call me a sucker, but I rather like games where I die at the end. FO3's wasn't the best case (that would be much superior Far Cry 2), but ya'know dying to let the wasteland live isn't half bad.

Myatar_Panwar
2010-02-21, 10:10 PM
I'd have to say you're a minority.

Um.

No.

MrPig
2010-02-21, 10:12 PM
Fixed it for you.

I'm sure of it. But I'm just a general hater of the terrible terrible games that were Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

chiasaur11
2010-02-21, 10:17 PM
I'm sure of it. But I'm just a general hater of the terrible terrible games that were Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

Well, that doesn't mean your hatreds are common. Fine to have an opinion, of course. Just not the best idea to imply it's a fact, or that anyone who doesn't share it is a statistical outlier when the evidence runs contrary.

Flickerdart
2010-02-21, 10:18 PM
Am I the only one who enjoyed Fallout and Oblivion? Sod the main quest, the other stuff's there for a reason.

Inhuman Bot
2010-02-21, 10:27 PM
Am I the only one who enjoyed Fallout 3 and Oblivion? Sod the main quest, the other stuff's there for a reason.

Nope, far from it.

king.com
2010-02-21, 11:01 PM

And that makes me laugh.

Firstly, am i the only one who had to read that sentence twice?

Now, no im not a fan of fallout 3 in general, ending (which i felt lied to being 3000+ endings and turned out nothing i did really matter all that much). Along with the hopefully positive ending which to me is not what fallout is about. Hopefull conclusions are fine where they fit but solving grand problems is not fallouts way. The other games had you putting off mass death so you can die some other horrible way not to mention all those side quests actually matter and was not a waste of time as such in fallout 3. Anyway rant over.

MrPig
2010-02-21, 11:01 PM
Well, that doesn't mean your hatreds are common. Fine to have an opinion, of course. Just not the best idea to imply it's a fact, or that anyone who doesn't share it is a statistical outlier when the evidence runs contrary.

I wouldn't say that dislike for Fallout 3 and Oblivion is an outlier, there are plenty of those who have enjoyed Fallout 1 and 2 and Morrowind for their RPG and story elements and were excited for Fallout 3/Oblivion only to be disappointed by a bland shooter/empty grassland and Bethesda's love for hiring big name actors only to have them deliver 4 lines, disappear for 90% of the game, re-appear briefly and then die.

But like you said, everyone is entitled to an opinion,.

king.com
2010-02-21, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't say that dislike for Fallout 3 and Oblivion is an outlier, there are plenty of those who have enjoyed Fallout 1 and 2 and Morrowind for their RPG and story elements and were excited for Fallout 3/Oblivion only to be disappointed by a bland shooter/empty grassland and Bethesda's love for hiring big name actors only to have them deliver 4 lines, disappear for 90% of the game, re-appear briefly and then die.

This ^^ Again, love it if you love it, hate it if you hate it.

SparkMandriller
2010-02-21, 11:26 PM
Call me a sucker, but I rather like games where I die at the end. FO3's wasn't the best case (that would be much superior Far Cry 2), but ya'know dying to let the wasteland live isn't half bad.

Dying at the end? That's okay. Dying at the end with your companions laughing at you and refusing to help just because? Not so cool.

Lord of Rapture
2010-02-21, 11:37 PM

Then stop thinking most people share your opinion before you post. :smallsigh:

Although I will agree that Oblivion is bad.

Though I will slap you for saying Fallout 3 is bad. Really, I'd rate it on the same level as the first Fallout (yes, I have played it, boo hoo :smalltongue:)

warty goblin
2010-02-21, 11:43 PM
Dying at the end? That's okay. Dying at the end with your companions laughing at you and refusing to help just because? Not so cool.

Hey, I found Far Cry 2's ending to be frankly brilliant. Of course that involved going and dumping a mountain on myself because a mass murduring arms dealer I'd been ordered to hunt down and kill told me it was the right thing to do. And it totally was.

And really, why should your companions help? I mean it's not like any of them want to die. You're supposed to be the big hero whose story it is, I hardly think having the ending expect you to act like it is such a bad thing.

Lord of Rapture
2010-02-21, 11:50 PM
Hey, I found Far Cry 2's ending to be frankly brilliant. Of course that involved going and dumping a mountain on myself because a mass murduring arms dealer I'd been ordered to hunt down and kill told me it was the right thing to do. And it totally was.

The problem is WHY THE HECK WOULD YOU EVEN HELP THAT GUY! :smallfurious: I don't care how right or morally superior that guy is, he's an arms dealer, and worse, he's the reason I'm dying of malaria and why everyone in this godforsaken place is trying to kill me! WHY WOULD YOU KILL YOURSELF FOR SOME GUY THAT PUT YOU THROUGH HELL THAT'S GOING TO DIE ANYWAY?! :smallfurious:

*pantpant* Okay. Rant over.

Dixieboy
2010-02-21, 11:54 PM
... He's the reason you are still alive?
He's not the reason you are dying of malaria, he even gives you medicine.

The guys a nut, but he treats you quite well.

And really, why should your companions help? I mean it's not like any of them want to die. You're supposed to be the big hero whose story it is, I hardly think having the ending expect you to act like it is such a bad thing.
One of them is a robot.
A ROBOT.

Two others are immune to radiation, they expect me to die simply because I have good karma? (Which I might not even have if I have Charon)

Raroy
2010-02-22, 12:01 AM
Why was this thread turned into a rant fest?

I remember I was younger that I would never understand the controls of video games, so I would always go about pressing the wrong buttons. Such childhood incompetence has led me to become who I am today.

Now I'm super coordinated, I can even play video games with me feet. Not that I do, smelly controls and all that.

warty goblin
2010-02-22, 12:10 AM
The problem is WHY THE HECK WOULD YOU EVEN HELP THAT GUY! :smallfurious: I don't care how right or morally superior that guy is, he's an arms dealer, and worse, he's the reason I'm dying of malaria and why everyone in this godforsaken place is trying to kill me! WHY WOULD YOU KILL YOURSELF FOR SOME GUY THAT PUT YOU THROUGH HELL THAT'S GOING TO DIE ANYWAY?! :smallfurious:

*pantpant* Okay. Rant over.

I actually bought into the ending because at that point I'd realized that I was not capable of ending the war. I was only capable of violence, and thus only capable of begetting more violence in an endless cycle of destruction that would reduce the entire country to a smoking wasteland. Of course by the end of the game I'd done a pretty good job at this already, but then both the Jackel and I were such creatures of carnage it is small wonder that is what it came to as I tried to track him down and kill him, and he tried to write the story of my (and by extension the rest of the world's) hypocrasy across the land in blood.

Which to me he succeeded in doing. By the end of the game I realized that I had blown up, burned, poisoned or shot what little remained of the country's infastructure, only helped a select group of people just far enough to keep me alive, denying them the medication they neededed in the process, and murdered anybody who stood in the way of my mission. All in the name of 'peace.' The game didn't keep track of kills, but I fired over 20,000 rounds of ammunition over the course of the story which should say something about my primary method of acting in the world.

So yeah, when the Jackel gave me the option of blowing up a mountain, or bribing the border guards and shooting myself, I found it completely believable. I was a person only capable of killing, but killing other people had produced nothing and less than nothing. Killing myself was the only way I could make a positive difference at that point. As the epilogue made clear though, even that wasn't redemption. I'd gone too far for that. All my death did was prevent some of the damage I had unleashed upon the country's people continuing on after me.

And the point wasn't that the Jackel was better than me. He was every inch the scumbag I was, and we both knew it. We lived as destructive, petty men and we died as destructive, petty men who at least had the courage to admit it. Which to me makes it pretty much the best story I've seen in a game since, well, ever, because it actually thinks seriously about the sort of person people play as in an FPS damn near every game ever, and then points this out to me.

SparkMandriller
2010-02-22, 12:24 AM
One of them is a robot.
A ROBOT.

Two others are immune to radiation, they expect me to die simply because I have good karma? (Which I might not even have if I have Charon)

Basically this. They could have had an ending which actually makes sense, but instead they chose to make your guys betray you just so DRAMA could occur.

And that's terrible.

Zevox
2010-02-22, 12:45 AM

Basically this. They could have had an ending which actually makes sense, but instead they chose to make your guys betray you just so DRAMA could occur.

And that's terrible.
Wait, so you mean that if you had suggested someone else take the fall at the end of Fallout 3, they'd have refused no matter what? Huh, that explains why everyone says the ending sucked so much.

I didn't try that, as I didn't have a companion with me and didn't think it would be right to send whoever that one girl was that was with you at the time to her death, so I just volunteered right away (well, after some real-world hesitation, but it was the first dialogue choice I picked). As a result, my own experience was that the ending was decent. Certainly nothing special, but then again neither was anything else in the game, really.

Zevox

king.com
2010-02-22, 01:06 AM
Wait, so you mean that if you had suggested someone else take the fall at the end of Fallout 3, they'd have refused no matter what? Huh, that explains why everyone says the ending sucked so much.

I didn't try that, as I didn't have a companion with me and didn't think it would be right to send whoever that one girl was that was with you at the time to her death, so I just volunteered right away (well, after some real-world hesitation, but it was the first dialogue choice I picked). As a result, my own experience was that the ending was decent. Certainly nothing special, but then again neither was anything else in the game, really.

Zevox

Yep, try taking the ghoul guy or Fawkes (they guy they repeatedly made it clear that he was immune to high levels of radiation when he gets the GECK for you) and ask them to go in for you. Fawkes goes "err... umm.. this is YOUR destiny i will not interfere".

Gee thanks a lot buddy, i did kinda free you and all you had to do was walk inside the chamber and push a couple of buttons. Real tough job there. In fact the DLC changes it so that Fawkes will go in and do it for you but i think you get maybe bad karma or something and need to charisma check him to do it? I just find that sooooo stupid.

Dixieboy
2010-02-22, 01:07 AM
You don't get bad karma, the narrator is just kind of a jerk towards you in the ending.

Fawkes says something to the effect of "I feel like this is your destiny, but you have already changed mine".

king.com
2010-02-22, 01:11 AM
You don't get bad karma, the narrator is just kind of a jerk towards you in the ending.

Fawkes says something to the effect of "I feel like this is your destiny, but you have already changed mine".

Ah thankyou for the clarification, i was left feeling kinda confused why i was being told i was a coward or some such for not....you know, commiting suicide when i had a clear and perfect option to solve the problem.

Also, didnt that line change when you get the Broken Steel DLC or something?

Dixieboy
2010-02-22, 01:16 AM
The original line is something like. "This is your destiny, I will not take it from you".
With the broken steel pack he notes that you already changed his destiny once, so he's simply repaying the favour.

Lord of Rapture
2010-02-22, 02:48 AM
I actually bought into the ending because at that point I'd realized that I was not capable of ending the war. I was only capable of violence, and thus only capable of begetting more violence in an endless cycle of destruction that would reduce the entire country to a smoking wasteland. Of course by the end of the game I'd done a pretty good job at this already, but then both the Jackel and I were such creatures of carnage it is small wonder that is what it came to as I tried to track him down and kill him, and he tried to write the story of my (and by extension the rest of the world's) hypocrasy across the land in blood.

Which to me he succeeded in doing. By the end of the game I realized that I had blown up, burned, poisoned or shot what little remained of the country's infastructure, only helped a select group of people just far enough to keep me alive, denying them the medication they neededed in the process, and murdered anybody who stood in the way of my mission. All in the name of 'peace.' The game didn't keep track of kills, but I fired over 20,000 rounds of ammunition over the course of the story which should say something about my primary method of acting in the world.

So yeah, when the Jackel gave me the option of blowing up a mountain, or bribing the border guards and shooting myself, I found it completely believable. I was a person only capable of killing, but killing other people had produced nothing and less than nothing. Killing myself was the only way I could make a positive difference at that point. As the epilogue made clear though, even that wasn't redemption. I'd gone too far for that. All my death did was prevent some of the damage I had unleashed upon the country's people continuing on after me.

And the point wasn't that the Jackel was better than me. He was every inch the scumbag I was, and we both knew it. We lived as destructive, petty men and we died as destructive, petty men who at least had the courage to admit it. Which to me makes it pretty much the best story I've seen in a game since, well, ever, because it actually thinks seriously about the sort of person people play as in an FPS damn near every game ever, and then points this out to me.

The problem is that it's unlikely your character would give a damn.

He's a mercenary. He's already under no delusions about what he does. He does what he needs to do to survive, and that's killing other people. Even he is a newbie, he didn't sign up for this job because he thinks it's all sunshine and roses for the people on the other side of the gun.

Besides, the Jackal may have helped you, but he's the reason you're dying in the first place! If you were never sent to kill him, you would have never gotten malaria, you wouldn't have been stuck in this hellhole, and you wouldn't have been fighting for your life in this godforsaken place.

The Jackal's a delusional hypocrite who thinks that simply because you know what a scumbag you are, dying for the opposing ideal in the end somehow makes up for it. Well, boo hoo. The world's filled with scumbags like you. All you did in the end was knock a few off of the playing field, including yourself. And what did it do in the end? Nothing. War is still in continuing in Whatever-the-Heck-Country-This-Is. The killings are still happening. They're happening all around the world as we speak. It's not like I, were I to be put into the protagonist's shoes, would care. Life is a harsh jungle, where only the strong survive. Why would you care you're burning everything else around you, as long as you live?

Even if the protagonist wasn't tempted to simply shoot the Jackal in the face as soon the Jackal told him to kill himself, there's a much more favorable option than dying:
1. Offer to take diamonds.
2. Take diamonds.
3. Reach the border, then kill all the guards. If that attracts too much attention, then just fork over the diamonds.
4. Don't kill yourself.
5. Laugh that the Jackal trusted a scumbag like you to do the right thing.

It's not like the character you're playing as would object to that plan.

warty goblin
2010-02-22, 10:54 AM
The problem is that it's unlikely your character would give a damn.

He's a mercenary. He's already under no delusions about what he does. He does what he needs to do to survive, and that's killing other people. Even he is a newbie, he didn't sign up for this job because he thinks it's all sunshine and roses for the people on the other side of the gun.

Right, but my mercenary was sent to end a war by killing the bastard who was arming both sides. He went for a reason, and one that he apparently believed was a right one. In the process of attempting to do so, he restarted the war and pretty much razed the entire country to the ground on his way by. It's just possible that by the end he has realized that his cure isn't worse than the disease, he is the disease.

Besides, the Jackal may have helped you, but he's the reason you're dying in the first place! If you were never sent to kill him, you would have never gotten malaria, you wouldn't have been stuck in this hellhole, and you wouldn't have been fighting for your life in this godforsaken place.
No, see the reason the main character is fighting in that godforsaken hellhole is that he is sent there by somebody. That person or people does nothing to interfere with your reign of bloody destruction-even fact pays you to kill people in a ceasefire zone- well after it's clear you are completely out of control.

The Jackal's a delusional hypocrite who thinks that simply because you know what a scumbag you are, dying for the opposing ideal in the end somehow makes up for it. Well, boo hoo. The world's filled with scumbags like you. All you did in the end was knock a few off of the playing field, including yourself. And what did it do in the end? Nothing. War is still in continuing in Whatever-the-Heck-Country-This-Is. The killings are still happening. They're happening all around the world as we speak. It's not like I, were I to be put into the protagonist's shoes, would care. Life is a harsh jungle, where only the strong survive. Why would you care you're burning everything else around you, as long as you live?

Even if the protagonist wasn't tempted to simply shoot the Jackal in the face as soon the Jackal told him to kill himself, there's a much more favorable option than dying:
1. Offer to take diamonds.
2. Take diamonds.
3. Reach the border, then kill all the guards. If that attracts too much attention, then just fork over the diamonds.
4. Don't kill yourself.
5. Laugh that the Jackal trusted a scumbag like you to do the right thing.

It's not like the character you're playing as would object to that plan.[/QUOTE]
And it's not entirely clear that isn't more or less what happens if you take the diamonds, which is why I rather prefer the other ending.

Anyway, the way I saw the game, I'd been sent to end a war. Over the next forty odd hours of gameplay I absolutely failed in this objective. Indeed by the end of the game killing the Jackel wasn't even useful anymore. By the time I was walking down that canyon, ending the war was completely beyond my power. The only thing that wasn't was to attempt to keep it from killing the refugees, and sparing the rest of the world from myself. I was, as the Jackel said, fundamentally sick, along with every other mercenary in the country. I and he at least could realize this, and try to contain the sickness. It doesn't redeem what I, or the Jackel, did, but it does...contain it at least.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-22, 12:54 PM

Zevox

You guys could just gave the girl die for you. I've done it before. She becomes the true hero than.

Oslecamo
2010-02-22, 12:59 PM
You guys could just gave the girl die for you. I've done it before. She becomes the true hero than.

Yeah, I always loved that part.

We're the ones who rescue dad and got the GECK and cleaned up half the super mutants and crippled the evil enclave organization.

But random Brotherhood of Carril knight becomes the true hero just by pressing the buttons.

While the dudes immune to radiation like the robot and Fawkes, who could activate the machine whitout anyone dying, stand there watching.

chiasaur11
2010-02-22, 04:16 PM
I can see why the robot doesn't.

He should go in because he's immune to radiation, right? That sounds like "From Each According to his Ability" to me. And THAT sounds like Commie talk. Well, no AMERICAN would use a cheap commie cop out to deny a hero of the wastes the right to die for his country. HOORAH.

Inhuman Bot
2010-02-22, 04:46 PM
Also, the massive, deadly wave of superheated steam mayv've made Charon and Fawkes hesitate about commiting suicide, too.