PDA

View Full Version : ToB Archery

Gametime
2010-02-21, 12:29 AM
I know several homebrewed disciplines have been made to allow archers to get in on the ToB action. My group isn't a big fan of extensive homebrew, though - slight houserules are about as far as we're likely to get.

Would it be unbalanced to just remove the "melee" restriction from most maneuvers? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any, but I wanted to get a second opinion before lobbying my DM.

Godskook
2010-02-21, 12:33 AM
Balanced? Maybe. Dirty as hell? Definitely.

Soranar
2010-02-21, 12:37 AM
There are plenty of stances which would work despite being an archer. But actual maneuvers/strikes... May some of the ones related to swordsage, say the shadow hand discipline. Gaining your DEX on damage (instead of strength, at the cost of a feat) through shadow blade could be ok I guess. And adding your wisdom when you perform a strike isn't that strong.

And a fireball could be attached to an arrow (arcane archer already does that, so it's not that crazy). So the fire discipline might be ok too.

I can't say I know the others very well, but the tiger discipline would be ridiculous. I would never allow that.

Tanaric
2010-02-21, 12:39 AM
Just consider the implications of range-optimization with things like Feral Death Blow and the like. It's not too hard to shoot at a target thousands of feet away (I'd say miles, but it usually takes too many PrCs to do that and still get 9th level manuevers), and when you can refresh them every turn...

Also, what happens with Steely Strike? Psuedo-Splitting enhancement?

Overall, it doesn't affect things too much. You just have to be careful with which manuevers you make available to ranged characters.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-02-21, 12:39 AM
It might be interesting to try and fluff how an arrow is capable of causing the effect of some of the throws from the setting sun discipline.