PDA

View Full Version : A Troubled Rebuilding [3.5] (IC)

rezplz
2010-02-21, 01:19 AM
The midday sun peeks through dark clouds at The White Wave, a humble merchant ship manned by a crew that is half humans, and half dwarves. A few of these sailors are lounging about on deck, enjoying the calm waters while the work is, temporarily, easy.

Jerimiah Wolf, the human captain of the merchant ship, stands at the head of the ship. He seems to be thinking to himself about something - whatever it is, it must be good, as there is a smile on his face. He is a short, stocky human with dark hair on his body, and a thick beard on his face. He scratches this beard for a moment, before he turns to one of the idle sailors. He claps the man on the back, starting up some jovial small-talk about the waters, and their destination in Yinmel.

The White Wave is about fifty feet long, and 20 feet wide. Below deck is a cramped area where the sailors and passengers sleep - but since most of the sailors are usually busy, conditions are not unbearably tight. Next to beds is also some of the less valuable cargo. A locked trapdoor leads down to where the rest of the more valuable trade goods are kept.

OOC: ((Feel free to make your introductions now))

jojolagger
2010-02-21, 01:28 AM
Iltall
Iltall Stands at the front of the boat, staring at the horizon.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-21, 01:40 AM
Alexandre Dupont, Human Bard

A tall, handsome young man stand at the edge of the ship, looking over the side into the azure waters below. Scattered around the deck, he notices some fellow passengers. Sauntering over to meet them, it can be seen that he has brown hair and hazel eyes, along with a small goatee and mustache. His clothes are fashioned of silk, but he also wears a fancy brocade doublet and leather belt, boots, and gloves. A fine rapier dangles at his side, and his half-cape flows in the ocean breeze.

With a slight bow and a spin of his hand, he greets the travelers. "Hello, strangers. My name is Alexandre. It is good to meet you."

Robek
2010-02-21, 02:04 AM
A short elvish woman stands at the stern of the ship, staring across the sea. Her light blond hair flows in the wind, until she covers it with her cloak. Her dress twirls as she turns around to see who had spoken, and upon noticing that it was her friend Alexandre, she walks up to him.

"Why Alexandre," she says with a curtsey, "it is good to see you again. Why... I haven't seen you since you left to be an adventurer. How have you been?"

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-21, 02:11 AM

A look of surprise washes over the young man's face as he realizes he is speaking to his childhood friend. "Ah, Beatrix!" He says, as he embraces the small elven woman. "It is good to see you again, mon amie!" Holding her at arm's length, he tells her, "There is much to speak of! Come, let us sit a while."

Robek
2010-02-21, 02:20 AM
"Err... umm... yes... quite." she says, trying to pull away from his clutches. "So, how has the adventurer's life been treating you?"

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-21, 02:29 AM

After releasing Beatrix, he says, "Ah, the adventuring life. Magnifique!" The young man leans against the ship's railing. "I travel, I perform, I rescue." With a wistful look in eyes, he says "With my weapon, I attack. With my magic, I shape. With my music, I inspire!" The bard makes a few stabbing motions, as if acting out one of his adventures. "Yes, it is a wonderful life I lead. But what of you? How is yours?"

Robek
2010-02-21, 02:35 AM
"Quite dreary, which is why I am returning home." Beatrix says while watching the clouds. "And what about you? Are you returning home as well?"

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-21, 02:39 AM

The bard looks away before replying. "Yes, I am returning. I must care for ma famille." He returns his gaze to Beatrix. "My parents get older, while my sisters have no hope of escaping poverty. I have to change that. I need to help them."

Slamexo
2010-02-21, 06:36 AM
Alisha

A lone woman sat on a chair under the shade projected by the quarterdeck with books piled high next to her. The sun shone down on her as she kept her face buried in a book, stopping every now and then only to place a hand on the larger stack of literature next to her and stop the rocking of thie ship from toppling them.

Alisha's mind was engulfed by the words on the pages, undistracted by any of the conversations going on around her and instead opting to continue her reading on the sunny day at sea, taking a brief pause to look up at the sky and the weather, before quickly returning to her studying.

jojolagger
2010-02-21, 10:34 AM
Iltall
Wandering down the side of the ship, Iltall recognizes someone he knew from Shillah, A small elven woman. However as he didn't know the adult name she had chosen for herself, Iltall hesitated. Hearing the bard call her Beatix, the problem was solved. "Why hello there Beatix, I haven't seen you in 14 years. Would I know your friend here?"

ooc: Stupid elven naming rites and stupid me for reading that part of the PH.
Also spoiler reminded me Preemptive AoO [roll0] damage [roll1]:smallwink:

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-21, 03:33 PM

The young man quickly steps between the two elves, offering his handshake to the newcomer. "No, you wouldn't. My name is Alexandre. And yours?"

Robek
2010-02-21, 03:40 PM
"Excuse me... I believe I heard someone calling me." Beatrix says, as she backs away from the two and towards the stern of the ship again.

jojolagger
2010-02-21, 03:58 PM
Iltall
"Iltall, and I believe I do know you, despite our last meeting being when you where only 10 or 11. I wonder if everyone on this ship is from Shillah." Said the tall elf, shaking Alexandre's hand.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-21, 04:26 PM

After releasing Iltall's hand, the bard says, "Well, why don't we find out?" He walks over to the woman sitting under the quarterdeck, and gives a slight bow. "Bonjour, mademoiselle. My name is Alexandre." He puts a hand on the stack of books, waiting for a response.

Slamexo
2010-02-21, 05:03 PM
Alsiha

"Alisha."

She didn't even look up from her book as she responded; she would answer any question if it didn't get too distracting.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-21, 05:10 PM

Without pause, Alexandre says, "It is a pleasure to meet you, Alisha. Might I ask from where you hail?"

Slamexo
2010-02-21, 05:14 PM
Alisha

"Shillah."

She still didn't look up from her book.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-21, 05:32 PM

With a surprised face, Alexandre says, "As do I!" He leans forward a bit. "So, what brings you on this voyage?"

Slamexo
2010-02-21, 05:36 PM
Alisha

"I'm travelling to Idakee."

Looks like she had an inquisitive one here. Sure, it was coincedental that they both came from Shillah, but it was hardly a five home hamlet; you'd probalby run into someone else eventually.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-21, 05:49 PM

"Ah, then a wizard you must be." The bard looks at his new acquaintance and says, "I know a bit of magic myself." With a snap of his fingers a glowing red orb poofs into existence and floats above his hand. Alexandre performs a few tricks with it, tossing it about and spinning it around.

Slamexo
2010-02-21, 05:58 PM
Alisha

Glancing up slightly at Alexandre's mention of magic, Alisha quickly returned to reading her book upon seeing him idle with a magically conjured ball, not even offering up an observation of his trick. It was a simple conjuration that Alisha had read about enough, and she was more interested in her chapter about focii and components that she was currently engaged in.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-21, 06:34 PM

With a sigh, the young man walks away. The glowing orb disappears as the spell's caster strays too far. Alexandre begins to meander around the deck of the ship, restless and bored.

Damian Jade
2010-02-21, 09:42 PM
Gareth Silverblade Dwaft Barbarian

Gareth has spent the time on board ship cleaning his armor and checking the shafts on the javelins that he carefully stowed with his hand axe and shield by his place below decks.
Emerging onto the deck he is a contrast to the casually dressed sailors in his finely crafted chain mail shirt and dark gray traveler's clothes. A Dwarven Waraxe is strapped to his back the edge glittering brightly silver in the light as sun plays off of it.
Gareth surveys the deck and finds a spot on the railing to watch the sea.

Ghal Marak
2010-02-22, 04:06 PM
Zaun Namtomich, Half-Elf Warlock

Slinking out of the hold behind the burly dwarf, a young Half-Elf stood upon the deck and looked out at the horizon. Dressed in simple green and brown clothing, one could easily mistake him for a cabin boy if not for his obviously elven decent.

Zaun was unhappy, though it may not have been overtly obvious. He had drasticaly overslept, completely missing the sunrise, as well as breakfast and quite possibly lunch.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-23, 08:17 PM

After sulking about for a bit on the ship's deck, Alexandre spots two new passengers emerge from the hold. With a spring in his step, he strides over to greet them. "Bonjour, fellow travelers!" Smiling, he offers his handshake to both of them. "It is a pleasure to meet you both."

Damian Jade
2010-02-23, 08:44 PM
The dwarf accepts the handshake with a wry grin. "Gareth Silverblade, well met traveler. Where are you bound for?"

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-23, 10:35 PM

Happy to meet a jovial traveler, the bard says, "I'm on my way to the town of Shillah, in Yinmel. And you? To where do you travel?"

rezplz
2010-02-24, 01:02 AM
Jerimiah, the captain of the ship, scratches his beard as he turns away from the railing of the ship, to look at the passengers that had finally decided to show up on deck. "Ah, braving the light of day, I see!" he smiles and laughs, heading towards where most of them were gathered. "Y'know, I normally don't take passengers on these merchant runs. Something in my gut told me that you could all take care of yerselves something fine. And I couldn't help but overhear that you're all from the same town, even!" He stares up at the dark clouds, shielding his eyes from what little light was able to sneak through them.

"Some might call this fate. Seems awfully suspicious. All I know is that I'm glad to have you all aboard The White Wave. Makes me rest easy knowing there's more protection aboard. I'm thinking this journey will be swift. My gut's telling me we'll be in Yinmel before too long."

"HEY, J!" the call of the sailor in the crow's nest stops whatever train of thought was going through the captain's mind. The hairy man scratches his head, looking up at the young human who was pointing off towards the south-west - just the direction they happened to be going.

"Well, Willy? Did you become dumb in the last five seconds? Speak up, what's going on?"

William was silent for a bit longer, brushing some of the brown bangs of his long hair out of his face. "It's... a ship. A bit one, coming straight at us! It's got no flags or nothin'!" Jerimiah runs towards the head of the ship, leaning forward as he squints, trying to get a better view. Sure enough, coming up over the horizon and heading straight at them - and fast! - was a ship easily twice as large as the White Wave. It's many sails were white, and appeared to be catching some kind of powerful draft - but that made no sense. The wind wasn't supposed to blow that way!

"Get your weapons ready boys!" He clears his throat, glancing back at the passengers. "Er, and women, I suppose, if you have them..." He coughs again, looking back towards the approaching ship, eyes narrowed. "My gut's telling me that's no normal merchant ship..."

Edit: Map of the ship:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ChrisWork/BOAT.png

The circle is the mast of the ship. The square are the stairs to below deck. The other ship was spotted towards the southeast, headed straight towards you.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-24, 01:43 AM

After Jeremiah speaks, the bard bounds up to the bow of the ship. Staring headlong toward the enemy vessel, Alexandre draws his rapier. A breeze blows through his hair and causes his cape to billow heroically behind him - little do the other passengers know, this is an effect of his earlier prestidigitation spell. In a somber voice he says, "I, too, have a bad feeling about this."

Move to K-4
Draw rapier
Use prestidigitation

Robek
2010-02-24, 02:41 AM
"Quite." Beatrix says, while drawing her rapier and moving next to Alexandre (J5). "At least I'll get to see you fight." she says with a chuckle.

jojolagger
2010-02-24, 10:01 AM
Drawing swords first? Am I the only one with a bow?

Draw & load bow while moving to K3
Ready action to shoot the first person on the other ship within 200 ft of me.(unless there closer than that already, but I doubt that.)

Damian Jade
2010-02-24, 12:21 PM
Gareth Silverblade, Dwarven Barbarian

Gareth unlimbers his namesake Dwarven Waraxe and turns toward the elf with the bow. "Ah've a quiver of javelins in the hold but I dinnae think Ah've time to run and fetch them. You shoot the first few in and we'll cover you when they get close enough."
Gareth begins to breathe in deeply preparing to draw on the rage inside of him, recalling the carnage he's seen in battle, the list of injustices done by the enemies of his people and the anger feels at being made to fear dying at sea.

Moving to J3 and preparing to defend Iltall. He will wait until the melee begins to rage.

Slamexo
2010-02-24, 01:20 PM
Alisha

Looking up from her book at the call of the oncoming ship, Alisha raised her eyebrow at the large vessel heading in their direction.

Great, I'll have to finish this later.

Putting her book down on top of the pile, she stood where she was as she waited for the scene to unfold.

Let's put Alisha in G4 for now.

Ghal Marak
2010-02-24, 08:21 PM

Zaun stepped up to the rail and laughed. "Ha! I've no need for bows." He spoke a few guttural words, working his hands in quick wrenching and clawing movements. His efforts conjured a dark purplish energy to his hands, looking almost like a bruise upon reality rather than the elegance of normal magic.

Move to G-5. Ready action to summon a swarm of bats as close to the other ship as possible when Iltall shoots.

rezplz
2010-02-25, 03:11 AM
"Willy!" The captain barks up as everyone takes defensive positions, the sailors moving to the port and starboard side railings, dwarf and human alike gripping their blades. A cold, nervous sweat runs down most of their heads. They had not signed up to fight for their lives. "Let's raise some flags, try to communicate! There's a chance my gut may be wrong!" But by the way Jeremiah eyes his own sword, and glares at the oncoming ship, those seem to be words of folly. Some of the sailors work together, raising up a few different flags of varying color. The captain and crew alike shout at each other as they hurry, knowing that time was short.

The oncoming ship, however, sends no response. Nothing other than the intimidating stance of various dwarves and humans, mostly clad in studded leather, most with weapons at the ready. Jeremiah scowls, spitting on the ground. "****! Arright, get ready to fight!" He turns to look at his odd assortment of passengers, lips moving in some silent prayer. Then, he shouts, "I sure hope my gut was right about you lot!"

About two-hundred feet apart, the first bits of action spark to life. Iltall's strained muscles finally let loose on the bowstring - an arrow flies straight. Its target, a dwarf at the head of the enemy ship, tries to glare the offending arrow into submission. ((Iltall, go ahead and roll your attack and damage rolls)) Immediately after, Zuan's brutish arcane power forces into existence a horde of bats in front of the other ship. Those at the front of the larger vessel shout in panic, trying to wave their weapons to fend off the swarm. Yet the ship still keeps coming, making a small adjustment, a small turn to its starboard side. It seems to be aiming to come up alongside the port side of The White Wave.

"STARBOARD! TURN STARBOARD!" Jeremiah yells, and the crew strains and yells as they pull on the ropes with all their might. Yet the smaller ship is a clumsy, slow beast, and cannot hope to outmanuever the elegant giant. "Buy these warriors as much time as they can to wreak havoc on those sons of bitches!"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ChrisWork/BOAT-2-3.png

Edit: For now, initiative will simply be like this:

All of you.
-enemies.

You can roll initiative in advance for when the melee starts if you'd like.

jojolagger
2010-02-25, 10:00 AM
"Try to kill the captain of their ship. Then we might stand a chance."
If I can see the captain of the enemy ship I shoot him using inspiration for aim and damage, else shoot a pirate normally.
[roll0] with range factored in
[roll1] Add five to both if shooting at the captain.
[roll2] Initiative (if/when needed)

rezplz
2010-02-25, 11:01 AM
Iltall:

You don't see anyone on the other ship who looks to be a captain yet. And were those rolls for your readied attack when the ship got 200 ft away, or were they for this round, when the ship is 110 feet away? Either way, you get another attack.

Ilta'll's first arrow flies true, hitting the dwarf at the head of the ship in the shoulder. He cries out in pain, clutching the bleeding wound.

jojolagger
2010-02-25, 03:00 PM
Iltall Fires again.
yes that was the readied one. If I can't shoot the captian I'll shoot the helmsman.
[roll0]
[roll1]
Add five if the captian or helmsman are valid targets.
Because I might not have internet tomorrow here are next turns rolls assuming they close to <1 range increment.

[roll2]
[roll3]

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-27, 03:24 AM

Standing at the helm of the ship, cape billowing behind him, Alexandre begins a chant. With a twist of his fingers, and a small flash of light, he casts a spell. His chant continues into a Franc song about the tragedy of war.

"En l'hiver de soixante-cinq
Nous avons eu faim, juste à peine vivant
Avant le nouvel an, la ville était tombé
C'est un temps dont je me souviens bien."

Cast inspirational boost.
Begin Bardic Music (inspire courage).
So that's a +2 morale bonus to saving throws against charm and fear effects, and on weapon attack and damage rolls.

rezplz
2010-02-28, 07:54 PM
Iltall's second arrow flies truer than the first, guided by his natural cunning and Alexandre's poetic words. The arrow's timing is perfect, flying past the less important targets to sink into the eye of the human helmsman. His body suddenly spasms once, and then slides down the right of the wheel. His body weight on the wheel is enough to steer the larger ship off course. At first, nobody is willing to grab the wheel again, until a larger human drops his greataxe on the ground, trying to make his way to the wheel. Surprisingly, some of the dwarves get in his way, planting their feet firm, trying to stop the human. "The spell on us didn't order us to steer the ship, boys! It's about time to finally misbehave!"

The swarm of bats then swarms over four dwarves at the head of the ship, including the one shot twice by Iltall. They swing axes at the small horde of winged creatures, but to no effect.

I believe the bard song effects the bat swarm too, for damage? If so, [roll0] (Add two for the bard song, making it 6)

Hundreds of teeth sink into dwarf flesh, and the magical effects of Alexendre's words spurs them into higher ferocity, ripping at the exposed necks of the dwarves. Three dwarves drop motionless, either dead or unconscious. The one at the head of the ship, who had been shot once in the shoulder, remains standing as he tries in vain to fend off the bats.

Jeremiah continues yelling at his crew. "Can't you move this piece of **** any faster? Keep turning!" the crew complies, turning more towards the starboard side, trying to sail away from the oncoming ship.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ChrisWork/BOAT-2-4.png

((Initiative: Everyone except Iltall (as he posted his rolls in advance), me

Edit to the map: the enemy ship, with nobody to steer it, has gone far enough off course so that it is now still 110 feet away, not having gained any ground.))

The remaining dwarves and humans start shouting for their captain, shouting a name that some of you recognize: "DELWIMMIUS, GET UP HERE! GOT SOME MAGIC USERS ON THAT BOAT, SUMMONING BATS. WE CAN'T DEAL WITH 'EM!" Iltall readies his bow and shoots again, Alexendre's words giving his arrow the extra punch it needs to pierce the human's studded leather in his chest, silencing him forever.

((OOC: Three level 1 dwarf warriors slain.
Two level 1 human warrior slain.

Iltall, if you would like to have your shot for this round target the human trying to get to the wheel, I can edit that in.))

jojolagger
2010-02-28, 08:13 PM
Not the headman, the helmsman! He is the guy who steers the ship. Surly I can see him.

rezplz
2010-02-28, 08:20 PM
Ah, must have mis-read your post. Sorry about that, editing now.

Edit: Edit is done. If anything's confusing, lemme know. But I won't be back for a bit, headed out to the movies.

jojolagger
2010-02-28, 09:16 PM
"TAKE THE HELM AND DIE! STAND DOWN AND BE SPARED. Keep use out of their reach. Stand fast to repeal boarders, and kill their helmsmen and magic-users."

Instead of my second shot I will move to D4 and ready an action to shoot (with inspiration) either the next person to take the helm or Delwimmius, whichever shows up first.
[roll0] attack
[roll1]damage

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-28, 09:21 PM

A couple of thoughts go through the bard's head as he hears the enemy speak. "The spell on us didn't order us to steer the ship, boys! It's about time to finally misbehave!" A spell? Are they under an enchantment of some sort? Perhaps I can alleviate that... "DELWIMMIUS, GET UP HERE!" Delwimmius... Delwimmius... Ahah! He's the sorcerer after those paladins. Revenge is a powerful weapon. This could be bad. All the while, Alexandre continues his somber and inspiring song.

"La nuit ils ont démoli vielle Provence
Et toutes les cloches ont sonné
La nuit ils ont démoli vielle Provence
Et tous les gens ont chanté."

The +2 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and on attack and damage rolls still applies.

Damian Jade
2010-02-28, 09:39 PM
Gareth's breathing is picking up as the enemy draws into range. "How many will they lose before they retreat?" He wonders aloud.

Initiative:[roll]1d20+2

Damian Jade
2010-02-28, 09:45 PM
Sorry got distracted and hit post without proof reading.

[roll0]

Robek
2010-02-28, 09:51 PM
Beatrix shakes nervously as she watches the arrows and spells attack the pirates, but steadies herself and prepares for battle.

[roll0]

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-28, 10:03 PM

The bard looks over at his childhood friend and gives her a reassuring look.

Totally not an excuse to roll my initiative. But, I mean, while I'm here...
[roll0]

Also, don't forget about +2 to attack and damage, everyone!

Slamexo
2010-03-01, 11:55 AM
Alisha

Alisha watches the ship in the distance as the violence between the two vessels unfolds, waiting for the situation to be over, or for the opposition to become enough of a threat to herself that her magical prowess is warrented.

And whilst we're in a flashy mood, initiative!

[roll0]

Ghal Marak
2010-03-01, 06:41 PM

Continuing his strange hand gestures, Zaun paid no heed to the shouts from the other ship. He had to focus his power on the swarm, lest the energies fueling the unnatural creatures continued existence lapse and he looses them.

INIT:[roll0]

rezplz
2010-03-04, 06:13 PM
After a bit of struggle, the burly human forces his way through the dwarfs blocking his way. "Delwimmius promised us riches and power. I'm not about to let you midgets get in the way of that!" he shouts, his meaty hands grabbing ahold of the wheel. Out of nowhere, an arrow from Iltall sinks into his chest. The man coughs up blood, his right lung punctured and useless. Sheer will pushes him on as he grips the wheel. With a grunt, he heaves on the wheel, turning it back into its proper path, chasing The White Wave - and gaining ground, fast.

Swarm damage:
[roll0]

The dwarf in the front of the ship tries to fend off the bats, doing what he can to keep the swarm from his comrades. A hundred small bites and scratches finally do him in. His eyes close. His body slouches. And he falls back, motionless.

((OOC: No time to update the map right now. But the enemy ship is approaching closer now, 60 feet behind your ship.

Slain: One level 3 dwarf warrior
Three level 1 dwarf warriors
Two level 1 human warriors))

jojolagger
2010-03-04, 07:16 PM
Iltall fires his bow again, Aiming for the man at the helm, and then draws away from the back of the ship.
[roll0]
[roll1]
not using inspiration this time.
Moving to G3

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-04, 11:10 PM

The young man continues his song, urgently awaiting the enemy ship.

Damian Jade
2010-03-05, 09:57 AM
Gareth Silverblade, Dwarven Barbarian

Gareth steps forward to the space vacated by Iltall. "Come then, come and die."

Slamexo
2010-03-05, 07:17 PM
Alisha

Alisha continues to hold her ground, her magic being not nearly as helpful with the ship that far away.

Robek
2010-03-06, 11:05 PM
Beatrix continues waiting for the ship to draw closer.

rezplz
2010-03-10, 04:39 AM
Iltall's arrow flies above the human's head, missing him by an inch. Despite the punctured lung, he laughs, blood flecking out of his mouth. "HAHA! They fear us! They know their doom is upon them!" the other ship flies closer.

[roll0] The dwarf at the head of the boat having fallen, the bats move forward towards the rest of them, getting 3 humans in the swarm, biting and clawing.

Damage: [roll1]

The ship is getting closer by the second - you feel that if you looked hard enough, you could see the whites of their eyes. It is now 10 feet behind your boat.

jojolagger
2010-03-10, 10:42 AM
Iltall fires again, Intent on killing the man at the wheel.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-10, 08:39 PM

The young man continues his song of inspiration, while tightening his grip on his rapier.