PDA

View Full Version : Magical grenades

Splendor
2010-02-21, 01:40 AM
Since brew potion can be used to make oils and potions can you use it to make magical grenades? Like a potion of fireball?

I understand how the brew potion feat is worded, but then this would put magical grenades under craft wondrous item feat. And that items like the necklace of fireballs use Craft Wondrous Item.

But doesn't it feel like it should be brew potion?

Harperfan7
2010-02-21, 01:58 AM
It ought to be either, I suppose.

I personally don't want people running around with flasks of 10d6 fireball death to all within xft.

However, grenades are cool, and I use the gunpowder ones from the DMG in my world, so it's not really a stretch.

AgentPaper
2010-02-21, 02:11 AM
I would be more worried about potions of Grease or Glitterdust than I would a potion of fireball, personally. I like the idea, though. Maybe price it at double the cost of a wand with 1 charge, or something? or double a scroll, not sure how those two stack up.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-21, 02:18 AM
They've already made something like this, potions for offensive uses. I can't remember the item name, but it was pretty much what you describe and required the feat "Brew Potion." The kicker, they were twice as expensive as a potion of similar level (maybe not in XP costs, but in gold).

AslanCross
2010-02-21, 03:05 AM
^--- Spellvials, if I'm not mistaken. These are made by the Master Alchemist PrC from Magic of Eberron. They still need a target of one or more creatures, so you technically shouldn't be able to make a potion that blows up.

Brew Potion says the spell should have a target of one or more creatures. Fireball targets an area. However, you can make oils of bless weapon or darkness, so I'd say it should be allowed.

Using area spells like fireball is tricky, though, since you need to physically hurl the flask as a grenadelike weapon. Thus, it doesn't have the same long range as the fireball.

Just craft a Necklace of Fireballs instead.

Seffbasilisk
2010-02-21, 03:09 AM
I don't recall the specifics, but you might want to look into Suspension Spheres.

Crystalkeep has them listed I believe.

Leon
2010-02-21, 03:53 AM
Book of Exalted Deeds has a Spell called Energize Potion that turns any potion into a explosive device.

Combat Alchemist (from Iron Kingdoms) is very much focused to having a number of grenade type of items about at any one time - they don't cast spells but have access to the same basic lists for creation of a wide range of unstable potions.
At later levels they can craft blasting powder and the related products (Bullets, grenades shells etc)
In addition to non magical alchemical effects and poisons such as natural acids.

ericgrau
2010-02-21, 04:30 AM
There's already necklace of fireballs, a wondrous item. Pricing is the same as potions, but as it is not drunken or smeared on something this is a better item category for such things.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-21, 08:41 AM
Don't forget the blast disc in MIC.

Zergrusheddie
2010-02-21, 08:44 AM
Oils of Grease seem to just make sense. :smallamused: