PDA

View Full Version : Is it me, or are swordsage and scout star-crossed lovers?

Harperfan7
2010-02-21, 02:02 AM
It seems to me like all the scouts one-skirmish-per-round problems can be fixed with a little swordsage (at least until they run out of maneuvers).
That, and swordsage gives scouts something useful to use that supposedly important wisdom score on. Also, free at-will scent? Yes please!

Is there something I'm missing?

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-02-21, 02:09 AM
*blink*

I have no idea why I never thought of that class combo. I must have caught a severe case of the dumb. :smalleek:

Demons_eye
2010-02-21, 02:10 AM
The ability to get high skirmish and 9th level maneuvers?

Runestar
2010-02-21, 02:14 AM
Not the mention the swordsage has feats/stances which trigger when you move a certain distance.

I wouldn't say start-crossed lovers, but there could be some synergy between the 2.

Pluto
2010-02-21, 02:23 AM
Your use of "star-crossed" confused me for a good minute after reading your post.

Harperfan7
2010-02-21, 02:27 AM
The ability to get high skirmish and 9th level maneuvers?

I was thinking Scout 18/Swordsage 2, not 10/10 or anything. You could make a swift hunter type feat, though.

AslanCross
2010-02-21, 02:38 AM
A player of mine was able to use Ranger/Scout/Swordsage to good effect in my first campaign. Implementing fractional BAB is a good way to offset the 3/4 BAB stacking problem, but she did fine without it.

Gametime
2010-02-21, 02:49 AM
Y'know, "star-crossed" traditionally refers to a relationship that is doomed by fate. People always assume it has some romantic implication because of Will, but the whole point is that Romeo and Juliet couldn't end up together.[/theatrenitpick]

Anyway, the classes can certainly work well together. A few levels in a martial adept class work well with almost any non-adept class, really. If you're just looking to move the scout around a little better, though, a DC 40 Tumble check will get you 10 foot steps and is easy to make at mid-to-high levels.

Harperfan7
2010-02-21, 05:16 AM
a DC 40 Tumble check will get you 10 foot steps and is easy to make at mid-to-high levels.

What's the source for that?

Runestar
2010-02-21, 05:23 AM
What's the source for that?

Oriental adventures, IIRC.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-02-21, 02:51 PM
one-skirmish-per-round problems? just pounce...

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-21, 03:11 PM
1 level dip into cleric helps with movement too.

mcl01
2010-02-21, 03:58 PM
? just pounce...

Skirmish was errata'd to only trigger when moving away.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-02-21, 03:59 PM
Skirmish was errata'd to only trigger when moving away.

It's been a while since I checked the Complete Adventurer errata, but that doesn't sound accurate to me. Are you sure it wasn't an FAQ?

EDIT: Just checked errata. It refers to moving away from the Scout's position at the start of the scout's turn.

So, if said scout was at E-6 when his turn started, he would need to move at least ten feet from that position to get skirmish, not 10 ft. away from an enemy.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-21, 04:16 PM
This got me thinking, how about a dip into warlock? if you need to move at least 10 ft away from your position, just move backwards 10 ft (tumbling) and blast with an eldritch blast, your damage will come from the skirimish, not the EB, also you carry a reach weapon to threaten. maybe throw inhuman reach or other ways to increase reach and evasive reflexes so you can move when they provoke and get your skirimish again

Flickerdart
2010-02-21, 04:33 PM
This got me thinking, how about a dip into warlock? if you need to move at least 10 ft away from your position, just move backwards 10 ft (tumbling) and blast with an eldritch blast, your damage will come from the skirimish, not the EB, also you carry a reach weapon to threaten. maybe throw inhuman reach or other ways to increase reach and evasive reflexes so you can move when they provoke and get your skirimish again
The problem with that is that Eldritch Blast advances a lot faster than Skirmish, so you end up losing more than you gain.

Ernir
2010-02-21, 04:53 PM
ToB dips are generally awesome for just about any martial build. :smalltongue:

But yes, Scout/Swordsage is nice.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-21, 05:45 PM
The problem with that is that Eldritch Blast advances a lot faster than Skirmish, so you end up losing more than you gain.

I am AFB right now, but doesn't skirmish advance at SA pace?

lsfreak
2010-02-21, 05:51 PM
I am AFB right now, but doesn't skirmish advance at SA pace?

Skirmish ups every other level, but half of those go to +1 armor rather than everything into +1d6 damage.