PDA

View Full Version : The Crimson Mantle [SoD Spoilers]

Fale
2010-02-21, 03:21 AM
I just received my copy of Start of Darkness a couple of days ago (yeah, I know, I'm a little late) and finished it this afternoon. Great stuff with plenty of story to it. Recommend for those who haven't read it.

Anyway, I have a question. It was made clear at the beginning of the book that the paladins knew about The Crimson Mantle (although, I don't think that us readers, have been made aware of how they know of it yet).

When the Goblins' head cleric shouts that it's him that they're after, one of the paladins says; "The red cloak." In a few short rounds, the head cleric is dead. They then immediately scout the area for more goblins to slaughter.

What I don't understand is why they leave the cloak untouched and forgotten. In the first diner scene, one of the brothers mentions how tattered the cloak has become over the years. It was said to be "sparkly" by the first goblin who was blessed with it. So it appears that the cloak can be damaged, and therefore destroyed.

Even it if couldn't be destroyed (due to an enchantment or something), wouldn't it been better if the paladins took it with them and lock it away in Azure city, so it couldn't be used for any more evil. Now, I'm sure that The Dark One would have placed a few curses on it that would only affect good aligned creatures, but even still, why not have a paladin or two to guard it while the others cleared the area of goblins? I'm sure they wouldn't want an evil artifact to fall back into the wrong hands.

Morthis
2010-02-21, 03:42 AM
Since the goblins appear to use cloak colors to indicate ranks for clerics, the main theory here is that the paladins do not know the cloak is an artifact. They simply believe the cloak indicates who is the high priest of the dark one, so it has no special meaning to them beyond the fact that the guy wearing the cloak is the leader of the clerics.

Fale
2010-02-21, 04:10 AM
Thanks.

I've had a look at the page in question and before the head cleric dies, he says "They came for me, personally, just like they did for my master and her master before. I knew this day would come."

Miko herself mentions the mantle in comic #369 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0369.html), so I assumed that Sapphire Guard had known about it's existence since it was first created. I don't see how they would have found out about it without the help of a deity. Neither Redclock or Right-Eye seems to know about The Plan before that day.

Ancalagon
2010-02-21, 05:22 AM
The Paladins might have learned about the artefact in the meantime.

The paladins thought it was "just the sign of the leader" while Miko already knew that "the Bearer of the Crimson Mantle" was something else. Yet, "Bearer of the Crimson Mantle" could as well be some sort of "title" that the Paladins use for the "leader of the goblin-clerics who wears a (not THE) crimson mantle".

Morquard
2010-02-21, 08:11 AM
As mentioned before the crimson mantle apperently just marks the leader of the goblin clerics, and therefor in a raid he's a primary target for more than one reason.
a) Kill the leader and morality of the troops falls, making it easier to kill the rest
b) The head priest is most likely the highest level enemy on the playing field, or at least one of the highest level ones. Taking him out quickly is important.
c) Taking out the leader might cause more turmoil and internal struggle down the road, when the goblins fight for who's going to be the new boss. (not sure they'd do that, but its a possibility)

Also, its quite possible that "The Bearer of the Crimson Mantle" was the title given to the head cleric for centuries, the Dark One just took it and bestowed on it some mystical mojo. Or made a new one and the old "red cloak" was thrown away.

It makes sense, hiding an important artifact in plain sight, disguised as something that already exists draws alot less attention than suddenly have a cleric wear a shiny new red cloak, and giving orders to everyone.

Degnared
2010-02-21, 08:47 AM
Come to think of it, it was kind of foolish for Redcloak and Right-eye to let Xykon know that it was the cloak itself that was the artifact that bestows The Plan upon the bearer. But I suppose Xykon was still human at the time, and seemingly easily controlled.

Ancalagon
2010-02-21, 09:49 AM
I think they heavily underestimated him at that time and also did not think it would matter. These days, Redcloak would never allow Xykon to gain such information.

NerfTW
2010-02-21, 02:17 PM
My theory is that they simply didn't expect a goblin to grab it and run away. They're enjoying slaughtering the goblins, including children. This was our first hint that the Sapphire Guard might not be as righteous as we've been led to believe.

So yes, they made a tactical error in not securing the cloak prior to killing the rest of the village. They were overconfident and the cloak got away. Given that they've done this multiple times before (as mentioned by the cleric), it's likely that they don't see the Crimson Mantle as a real threat, and more of a good way to stretch their legs every once in a while with a battle where they don't have to worry about honor. (Provided Red Cloak is telling the truth about the creation of the monster races as cannon fodder)

In fact, we've only seen the Sapphire Guard fail. Repeatedly. Why would you think they're effective fighters outside O-chul and Miko?

Ron Miel
2010-02-21, 02:27 PM
Miko herself mentions the mantle in comic #369 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0369.html), so I assumed that Sapphire Guard had known about it's existence since it was first created. I don't see how they would have found out about it without the help of a deity. Neither Redclock or Right-Eye seems to know about The Plan before that day.

Minor SOD spoiler

p43 shows OOTScribble fighting the original Redcloak. Soon isn't shown, but is presumably just out of shot. We can presume that they found out about their enemy during the adventure.