PDA

View Full Version : D&D Dragonlance module

Sterm
2010-02-21, 10:06 AM
Has anyone played D&D Dragonlance module?I really like the Dragonlance books but I would like to hear some opinions before playing this mod and dedicate hours of reading.

Asta Kask
2010-02-21, 10:11 AM
I have read it, but I haven't played it. There are some major differences from the books - for instance, the Fortress of Fistandantilus figures at some point in the module, but never in the books. Be prepared for dungeons. But I think it could be fun to play through.

Grommen
2010-02-21, 12:26 PM
The old ones? Well they were well written, and though out. Only about half of the modules were included in details in the books. The other half is played out off screen so to speak.

Remember for a good portion of the first two modules their is no clerics, and a limited amount of healing. You have to be quite creative to make it.

I thought about converting it to a current edition, but it would require a lot of work a limiting a lot of spells.

rayne_dragon
2010-02-21, 12:41 PM
My DM is doing an updated 4e dragonlance campaign, although I don't know if it's the same as the module you refer to. I do want to say that I've found the setting to be really fun.

hamlet
2010-02-22, 10:32 AM
The original Dragonlance modules are very railroady and very plot dependent. They require players to go from point A to point D and all intervening points in a very specific order or else they just flat out break down.

I don't recommend them.

bosssmiley
2010-02-22, 10:39 AM
The original Dragonlance modules are very railroady and very plot dependent. They require players to go from point A to point D and all intervening points in a very specific order or else they just flat out break down.

I don't recommend them.

+1 what Hamlet said.

The original Dragonlance modules are probably the prototypical "but thou must" adventure path.

Thou shalt not deviate from the grand plan!
Thou shalt travel in the direction of the next batch of prepared content!
Thou shalt abandon all pretensions towards personal agency and learn thy place!
Thou shalt not note that thou liked this story better when it was called LOTR!

Even worse, the main characters of the Dragonlance stories are the pre-gens, and their fates are largely predestined. Pity the poor mug who picks Sturm as his PC, he gets written out somewhere around episode 9 (of 16). :smallannoyed:

The modules are worth mining for locations and situations, but that's about it.

hamlet
2010-02-22, 11:49 AM
Largely, the players end up playing the part of an audience rather than agents in these modules. Fine if that's what you want, but not so much if you want anything else.

Also, in 1e (for which the modules were originally written) dragons were far less ridiculously uber, so the concept of half a dozen 4-5 level PC's fighting an ancient, large black dragon wasn't simply a joke. It was tough, but not undoable.