PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon RPG [4e]

Camelot
2010-02-21, 12:55 PM
I've been working on a Pokemon tabletop RPG using the D&D 4th edition rules, and I am psyched at how it's turning out! I have been posting my progress at EN World here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/268201-d-d-4th-edition-pokemon-tabletop-rpg-6.html) in the form of PDFs. I provide this link because I am unable to attach it to this forum, and also because others have posted their own ideas for Pokemon tabletop games. You can find not only my ideas for a 4e game, but ideas for Pokemon based off of something similar to 3e and another that's a mix between 3e and 4e. I appreciate any input I can get, so please let me know what you think! If you're very familiar with the 4e rules, I'd love to hear suggestions for features, powers, etc. for trainers and Pokemon.

Here's a little snippet if you'd like to see how it works. Pokemon are the equivalent of a class, so Bulbasaur looks like this:

BULBASAUR

TRAITS

Role: Controller and leader.
Type: Grass and poison.

Primary Abilities: Wisdom
Secondary Abilities: Dexterity, Intelligence
Tertiary Abilities: Strength

Size: Small
Speed: 5 squares
Vision: Normal

Armor Bonus to AC: +3
Armor Type: Light
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Will

Physical Weapons: Body
Special Weapons: Leaves, Vines

Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + Constitution score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 4
Healing Surges per Day: 6 + Constitution modifier

FEATURES

Bulbasaur's Strategy: Choose one of the following options.
- Leaf Strategy: You gain the leaf armor power. Once per encounter, when you use an area or close attack power with the special keyword, you can push any targets you hit with the attack a number of squares equal to your Dexterity modifier from the origin square.
- Vine Strategy: You gain the disrupting vine power. Once per encounter, when you use a melee or ranged attack power with the special keyword, you can add your Intelligence modifier to the first attack roll you make during that attack.
Leech Seed: You have the leech seed power.
Vine Grab: You can make a grab attack against a target up to 5 squares away from you. Use your Wisdom modifier for attack rolls to grab and move grabbed targets. You can move normally without having to move your grabbed target as long as you remain with 5 squares of it. You can also move a grabbed target without moving yourself as long as you remain within 5 squares of it, though you still must succeed on an attack roll. Additionally, you can pick up or manipulate objects within 5 squares of you. Grabbing and manipulating objects require the same actions they normally do. You cannot grab targets or manipulate objects to which you do not have line of effect, and you must retain line of effect if you move a grabbed target or object. You provoke opportunity attacks by grabbing or manipulating targets that are not adjacent to you.
Vine Slide: You have the vine slide power.

POWERS

FEATURE POWERS

Disrupting Vine - Bulbasaur Feature
Encounter
Immediate Interrupt - Ranged 5
Trigger: An enemy within 5 squares of you targets an ally with an attack.
Target: The triggering enemy within range
Effect: The target takes a penalty to its attack roll equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Leaf Armor - Bulbasaur Feature
Encounter
Immediate Interrupt - Close burst 5
Trigger: An enemy targets an ally within 5 squares of you with an attack.
Target: The ally targeted by the triggering attack within range
Effect: The ally gains a bonus to all defenses equal to your Dexterity modifier for the duration of the triggering attack.

Leech Seed - Bulbasaur Feature
Encounter * Grass, Healing
Minor Action - Ranged 10
Target: One Pokemon
Attack: Wisdom + 2 vs. Fortitude
Hit: The target takes ongoing 5 grass damage (save ends). When the target takes damage from this power, choose an ally or yourself within 5 squares of the target to regain hit points equal to half the damage the target took.
Level 11: +4 bonus to attack, and ongoing 10 grass damage.
Level 21: +6 bonus to attack, and ongoing 15 grass damage.

Vine Slide - Bulbasaur Feature
At-Will
Move Action - Ranged 5
Target: One ally within range
Effect: You slide the target a number of squares equal to your Strength modifier. You must retain line of effect for the duration of the slide, and the target must remain within range.

Edit: The next version is up, now in PDF format! And it's ready for playtesting! See my signature.

Dust
2010-03-13, 12:33 AM
Pardon the necromancy post. Found this system (http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachments/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/43104d1267202964-d-d-4th-edition-pokemon-tabletop-rpg-trainers-handbook.pdf) and traced it back here. Camelot, how long do you suspect it'll be before this becomes playable? It's looking good!

Zexion
2010-03-13, 12:41 AM
Each pokemon seems a bit too detailed, i.e. you could never do something of this detail for every pokemon, it would be too complicated.

Camelot
2010-03-13, 10:53 AM
It's actually under forum playtest right now! Check out the link in my signature.

Zexion, you're not the first to point that out! :smalltongue: When I try grouping Pokemon together to make it less work, it just ends up not working, for various reasons. Besides, I know it's a big project, but I find it fun. If I could get help with ideas for other Pokemon, that'd be great too!

Orzel
2010-03-13, 12:09 PM
I also had an idea for Pokemon in 4e. I also realized that doing this for each one is too much because each pokemon seems a too detailed.

My idea to solve this to make similar pokemon and attack the same. More like the anime and less like the game. Thunder Punch and Thunder Fang were the same move. Same with Bullet Seed and Seed bomb. Pokemon were classified by their use (psychical sweeper, special tank, support) rather than make 100s of monsters.

Camelot
2010-03-23, 11:59 PM
Just to gather ideas, what kind of trainer specializations would you like to see? Keep in mind that the trainer specialization functions like a race in D&D 4e.

Specializations I have so far are:

Adapter (versatility, like the human)
Battler (accuracy)
Evolver (defense)
Healer (healing)
Raiser (damage)
Breeder (hatched Pokemon)
Capturer (wild battles)
Trader (traded Pokemon)
Challenger (trainer battles)
Coordinator (contests)
Trickster (items)

Along those lines, do you have any ideas for general trainer strategies?

Sakutian
2010-03-31, 04:09 PM
I'd sort of like to see a fishing skill brought into things. Maybe it can be used to try and catch water pokemon?

Darkheart
2010-03-31, 07:52 PM
I'd like to join the game with a healer/ bulbasaur combo :)

TheYoungKing
2010-04-01, 01:28 AM
.... your system looks way more difficult than the others I've seen.

There needs to be a common table of moves, and a way to easily convert Pokemon. I'm not seeing it with this.

Which is a shame, as I would kill/steal a Pikachi for a good Pokemon pbp game.

Camelot
2010-04-01, 07:48 AM
@Sakutian: Thievery would be used for fishing, I suppose. I actually hadn't thought of it, but it makes sense for nimble fingers to be required. And then maybe Athletics to pull it in.

@Darkheart: Sure, post it in the recruitment thread!

@The Young King: It's based almost word for word off of D&D 4e, no huge changes were made to the system. 4e is actually quite a simple system, despite seeming like there's a lot of information, compared to previous editions of D&D. A common table of moves will probably be made in the future, but at the moment there is no need for one, so I didn't make one.