PDA

View Full Version : How can I get in touch with Rich?

alschroeder
2010-02-21, 03:38 PM
Hey.
Sorry to bother people, especially the moderators, but I sent one private mesage to a moderator over a week ago to forward to Rich, and haven't heard back one way or the other...
I do a webcomic called MINDMISTRESS at http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com and work with several other creators on a dimension-crossing "team" book called the CROSSOVERLORD at http://www.drunkduck.com/Crossoverlord/index.php. It's for the latter that I wanted to get in touch with Rich. The fact that we've had cameos (with permission) from webcomics like GIRL GENIUS and GUNNERKREIG COURT might give someone a hint...
Anyway, is there anyone I can contact to forward a message to Rich, or contact him myself?
My home email is [email protected].
Thanks, and I hope I'm not breaking some rule. Meant to be done with all respect to everyone.---Al

Ancalagon
2010-02-21, 03:43 PM
Send him a pm. If he does not answer assume he is not interested. Or does not have time.

Surfing HalfOrc
2010-02-21, 04:40 PM
I've seen cameos of OOTS done in several strips, usually without problems. Somewhere I remember reading that one or even two-three times is ok, but only as cameos or very brief references. Writing your own strip featuring the cast or members isn't allowed.

It falls under Fair Use and/or Parody.

derfenrirwolv
2010-02-21, 04:51 PM
Well, there's the legal right to use something as a parody, and what many feel is the moral right of running something past an author. Nothing wrong with obtaining both.

veti
2010-02-21, 05:05 PM
Legally (I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, I just have a long-standing interest in IP law): I think you'd be OK to cameo characters, so long as it's clear what they are, i.e. there's no question that you're trying to pass them off as your own. In the same way as Rich uses characters from Harry Potter (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0253.html) and Final Fantasy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0388.html), among other works.

But it is a tricky area - there's a trademark angle, as well as copyright - and for the sake of both safety and courtesy I think you're wise to seek permission first. And if you can't get in touch with Rich, or his agent (if he has one), I'd play safe and not use them.

Conuly
2010-02-21, 05:13 PM
Isn't there something about this specific situation in the FAQ detailing where it is okay to use Stick-verse-people and when it's not?

herrhauptmann
2010-02-21, 06:07 PM
Have you tried getting in contact with him at a convention?
He probably gets a few hundred messages a day, both from people who have something to say, and people who are just writing to say "OMG I LOVE YOUR COMIC IT MAKES ME GO LOL!!!1!11!" With all that chaff, and his messages needed for business/personal, your message could easily have been lost in the clutter. He might even have decided "I'll email back tomorrow" then been unable to find where your original message went.

SPoD
2010-02-21, 06:49 PM
Have you tried getting in contact with him at a convention?

Rich hasn't attended a convention since early 2007.

Vaarsuvius4181
2010-02-21, 07:08 PM
PM him, my friend got a reply a few years back.

alschroeder
2010-02-22, 06:32 AM
Good suggestion about PMing him. (I'd rather get his explcit permission for what we have in mind rather than fall back on parody/fair use). What's his username here? Looking through the forums, I mainly see comments by others rather than himself.
Thanks in advance.---Al

Nimrod's Son
2010-02-22, 06:44 AM
The Giant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=14856).

The Pink Ninja
2010-02-22, 08:15 AM
Use a Sending spell.

Ancalagon
2010-02-22, 08:19 AM
Does not work, you have to be familiar with the target...

silversaraph
2010-02-22, 08:35 AM
Does speculation count as "familiar"? If so, we have a list of exes, a complete medical history, and the type of shampoo he used in highschool.

EENick
2010-02-22, 09:34 AM
I PMed him a while back with a similar request but he never got back to me with a yes or no so PMs might not be the best way. I'd guess he probably gets so many PMs in one day that his box fills up and most PMs bounce. That or maybe he just doesn't check his PMs due to "fan spam" so to speak.

alschroeder
2010-02-22, 10:46 AM
The Giant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=14856).

D'Oh! Makes sense...

Thanks! I just sent him a PM, we'll see what happens. Appreciate EVERYONE's help and suggestions.---Al

EENick
2010-02-23, 01:09 PM
If he does not answer assume he is not interested.

Hehe. That is possible too.

Well, there's the legal right to use something as a parody, and what many feel is the moral right of running something past an author. Nothing wrong with obtaining both.

Exactly. Just 'cause Rich couldn't sue me doesnt' mean I want to just go ahead and cameo his characters without his blessing. Some people love that sort of stuff, other people don't. I have not heard one way or the other how Rich feels on the subject and don't want to assume.

Trixie
2010-02-27, 11:31 AM
Um... you guys are aware that Rich himself has a long history of bringing characters from other comics to the OotS? Yup, most of them are off the web, and I'm pretty sure he was allowed in most of these cases, but still, almost certainly not in all of them.

I'm also pretty sure that picturing one of two of his characters in one panel doesn't need blessings and ritual sacrifices and whatnot :smallsigh:

factotum
2010-02-27, 01:06 PM
Um... you guys are aware that Rich himself has a long history of bringing characters from other comics to the OotS?

Really? When? The only occasion I can remember is when he drew a guest strip for 8-bit Theatre, but I'm assuming he was invited to do that one.

Conuly
2010-02-27, 01:08 PM
Didn't he include Batman in one throwaway scene once? And maybe Cyclops in one, but I don't know, I may be misremembering?

hamishspence
2010-02-27, 01:19 PM
Batman is in the SoD book.

Along with a lot of other Shout Outs.

Optimystik
2010-02-27, 03:23 PM
Didn't he include Batman in one throwaway scene once? And maybe Cyclops in one, but I don't know, I may be misremembering?

Cyclops is in the main strip, and a Captain America reference. The S-men X-men make an appearance in SoD as well.

hamishspence
2010-02-27, 03:41 PM
The was one of the funnier moments in SoD (which tends to be more serious on average)

Cyclops: "Scorching Ray!"

Colossus "Iron Body, comrade!"

Jean: "Telekinesis! And sometimes Fireball."

Wolverine: "Wait, are sorcerers even proficient in these things?"

Hurkyl
2010-02-27, 03:42 PM
Yes, he was playing poker with Firestorm. This happened during the fight with Leeky Windstaff.

"Calm down, old chum!"

(I'm assuming memory serves)

AgentofOdd
2010-02-27, 09:55 PM
Not a comic, but let's not forget the cast of Final Fantasy 6 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0388.html).

Roland St. Jude
2010-02-27, 10:22 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Yes, send him a PM. If he gives you permission, great. If not, do not assume any permission whatsoever. If you want to do something without his permission as the copyright and trademark holder, you may want to consult an IP lawyer before proceeding. Concepts like "fair use" and "parody" are widely bandied about but often misapplied. I'm certainly not authorized to speak on Rich's behalf in this regard, but he tends to be very protective of his IP rights and selective regarding uses that he permits.