PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Half-Orcs

mummy162
2010-02-21, 03:46 PM
I just bought the Pathfinder core rulebook, and last night I was flipping through the pages. I saw that half-orcs get one ability increased by 2, as per human or half-elf. Though they have human roots, I don't think half-orcs are quite as versatile as the other two races that get to choose their ability bonus. One SRD site had their ability adjustments listed as +2 Strength and Wisdom, -2 Intelligence. This makes a lot more sense. Of course they get their bonus to strength, and the intelligence seems like a bigger thing missing than charisma, and wisdom makes sense because of their inborn battle instinct. So which way would you use?

Starbuck_II
2010-02-21, 03:58 PM
I just bought the Pathfinder core rulebook, and last night I was flipping through the pages. I saw that half-orcs get one ability increased by 2, as per human or half-elf. Though they have human roots, I don't think half-orcs are quite as versatile as the other two races that get to choose their ability bonus. One SRD site had their ability adjustments listed as +2 Strength and Wisdom, -2 Intelligence. This makes a lot more sense. Of course they get their bonus to strength, and the intelligence seems like a bigger thing missing than charisma, and wisdom makes sense because of their inborn battle instinct. So which way would you use?
Beta: +2 Str/Wis
The newest version: just +2 to any stat.

Official SRD:http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Ernir
2010-02-21, 04:31 PM

They changed it?

But I wanted one for a PsyWar. :C

mummy162
2010-02-21, 04:39 PM

Official SRD:http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

It makes more sense the other way...

Rixx
2010-02-21, 04:42 PM
Luckily, you can Rule-0 it the other way. The book even says that if you don't like anything in the book, you should feel free to change it.

Nero24200
2010-02-21, 04:43 PM
I personally prefer the +2 to any ability score. Half-elves don't get diluted elf scores, so I feel it makes more sense for half-orcs to get the same treatment.

mummy162
2010-02-21, 04:46 PM
Well yes, but in 3.5 Half-elves got no adjustments, but half-orcs did.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-21, 04:48 PM
True, but they gave 1/2 Orc ferocity (diehard) so they gave them something. Although, I'll admit the stat bonuses were nice in Beta.

Devils_Advocate
2010-02-22, 06:07 AM
The half-orc's -2 Int didn't really make sense in 3.5 and wouldn't really make sense in Pathfinder, either. See, humans basically get skill points as if their Int were 2 points higher. This means that, of the orc's ability score penalties, -2 Int makes the least sense for the half-orc to inherit. That's just what an orc gets, while +0 Int is in between what an orc gets and what a human gets.

I'd suggest removing the 3.5 half-orc's stat penalties, because +2 Str, darkvision, and nothing else seriously is not all that good. I'd change the Pathfinder half-orc's stat adjustments to... let's see here... +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom or Charisma (player's choice).

mummy162
2010-02-22, 06:22 AM
In Pathfinder, the two bonuses are usually one to a physical score and one a mental score.

Dienekes
2010-02-22, 09:30 AM
I was toying with the idea that half-orcs could get a +2 in any physical stat while half-elves in any mental stat. Or some other combination.

My only problem with the new half-orcs is that now there is not base race that is good in Strength.

Person_Man
2010-02-22, 09:37 AM
I was toying with the idea that half-orcs could get a +2 in any physical stat while half-elves in any mental stat. Or some other combination.

My only problem with the new half-orcs is that now there is not base race that is good in Strength.

There's not a Pathfinder race with an explicit Str bonus (although there's nothing stopping a human or whatnot from adding their bonus to Str). But in theory Pathfinder is fully 3.5 compatable. So there's nothing stopping you from using a Darfellan, Earth Dwarf, Wood Elf, Water Orc, Krynn Minotaur, or some other race with a Str bonus. Some options would be a bit weaker then the buffed up Pathfinder races, but usually not by much.

Draz74
2010-02-22, 12:03 PM
I'd suggest removing the 3.5 half-orc's stat penalties, because +2 Str, darkvision, and nothing else seriously is not all that good.

That's really not a bad idea for a very easy fix. I like.