PDA

View Full Version : Bag of holding theory question

Vulkarius
2010-02-21, 06:59 PM
Was pondering making a "hat of holding" for my gnome by putting a bag of holding in his oversized pointed cap (DM willing) and I was wondering if there was a way to fold a bag of holding or other pocket dimension item into itself until it disapears? And what would happen to said items in said bag? Thanks!

Yuki Akuma
2010-02-21, 07:24 PM
A hat of holding would be fine, as long as you make the entrance small enough so it doesn't fall over your head.

Turning a bag of holding inside-out empties its contents and renders its magic inoperable until you correct it. So no, you can't fold one in on itself.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-02-21, 07:30 PM
If you just flop the end of it into the cover it's not inside-out. More like outside-in, really. You can't get it completely folded, but you can make it less long.

ericgrau
2010-02-21, 07:37 PM
A bag of holding is actually the size of a sack and too heavy for this, unless you want migraines and a comically large hat. Arguably it could be folded up, but that'd mean you'd have a folded up 15-60 lb. object if that's really possible. This is house rule territory. That said, I think you should talk to your DM about allowing a hat of holding. I'd make it hold less and cost less than even a bag of holding type I, but also smaller and lighter. You can ask an NPC to make it.

Vulkarius
2010-02-21, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the hat tips. Just had the idea of my gnome running around pulling all sorts of 'tricks' out of his hat. Sorry I didn't clear it up my main concern was about rolling the bag into itself. My original thought was akin to a snake eating itself until it no longer existed.

ericgrau
2010-02-21, 10:58 PM
If you want to pull things out of it quickly then a handy haversack is a better baseline for the custom item.

And no, I wouldn't worry about folding up the bag, hat or haversack in a way that destroys itself.

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-22, 10:58 AM
The way I see it is that a bag of holding is bigger on the inside than the outside, right? so flipping it inside out would make a bag smaller on the inside than on the outside. so if you ever, for some reason, need an impossibly large and cumbersome bag that can't hold a lot of stuff, you've got it.