PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the "Allies" invading azure city?

Vaarsuvius4181
2010-02-21, 07:32 PM
In strip 670 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0670.html) hinjo referred to allies invading former azure city. What happened to them?

Kish
2010-02-21, 07:37 PM
Why would anything have happened to them?

slayerx
2010-02-21, 07:42 PM
In strip 670 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0670.html) hinjo referred to allies invading former azure city. What happened to them?

Hinjo's elven allies are likely underground with the resistance waiting to strike, or helping more elves invade

TriForce
2010-02-21, 08:59 PM
indeed, as they are as good as we think they are, redcloak and jirix wont know anything about them until its too late and the city is back in human/elf control

Thursday
2010-02-21, 10:14 PM
Nothing has happened to them.

I'm sure that when it does we'll get to see (some of) it.

indeed, as they are as good as we think they are, redcloak and jirix wont know anything about them until its too late and the city is back in human/elf control

I don't think thats gonna happen.
I have however, nothing to back up that assertion whatsoever.
Yay speculation!

Asta Kask
2010-02-22, 02:18 AM
They're elves. They are probably smoking pot and communing with the spiritual forces of nature...

factotum
2010-02-22, 02:36 AM
Or maybe they're determining the best place to insert a banana nut muffin into the workings of Gobbotopia to bring the whole thing crashing down! :smallbiggrin:

RMS Oceanic
2010-02-22, 02:40 AM
I never thought a four-man team would immediately strike out against 20,000 hobgoblins and at least three high level spellcasters. They're probably training the resistance and swelling their own numbers with "further insertions". I also suspect they're trying to gather intelligence on the situation in Gobbotopia, and are waiting for a good moment to start their campaign, such as when the previously mentioned spellcasters blow this popsicle stand.

YorickBrown
2010-02-25, 01:24 PM
in comic# 702, Redcloak mentions in the first panel that there was an attack by elven insurgents

could this be the same group of elves we saw at the end of comic# 670?

Asta Kask
2010-02-25, 01:26 PM
in comic# 702, Redcloak mentions in the first panel that there was an attack by elven insurgents

I think consensus (or as close to it was we're likely to get) is that it was Darth V.

Sanguine
2010-02-25, 01:27 PM

I'm pretty sure that was referring to Darth V but I could be wrong.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-25, 01:28 PM

The Giant hasn't shown what their doing yet. He does that sometimes - focus on some characters and neglect others (the Linear Guild).

Closak
2010-02-25, 01:35 PM
They were eaten by a Grue.

The Grue was then eaten by a passing dragon.

The dragon then got eaten by the rift because it didn't watch where it was flying.

"That makes no sense, it is completely illogical!"
"Would you stop commenting on everything i say or do already?"
"We do not understand your request, further information is required"
":smallsigh:"

YorickBrown
2010-02-25, 01:39 PM
ohhh, good point on him referring to Darth V... did not think of that

i thought that because such a time has passed it could've been the elven invaders but something that occurred without him showing... but it's prob going to be a big to do

Shale
2010-02-25, 01:46 PM
Given that Jirix says he was killed in that same insurgent attack, and he was killed during Darth V's attack, it's a pretty good bet that the "insurgents" were one elf.

Lecan
2010-02-25, 03:34 PM
Given that Jirix says he was killed in that same insurgent attack, and he was killed during Darth V's attack, it's a pretty good bet that the "insurgents" were one elf.

Hey, we have no place in these forums for people who actually read the comic! Leave immediately!

DavidBV
2010-02-25, 04:00 PM
Let's see. Elves are Hinjo's allies, so probably they have been given all the important information bits that Hinjo knows about what they confront. Namely:

-The fact that there is an epic lich sorcerer in town that could scry & slaugther all of them in 10 rounds.

-The fact that this lich will shortly leave Azure city probably for weeks or months, taking with him his most powerful allies, and leaving it in the hands of mere hobgoblins.

So given that their choices can be reduced to A) Strike now and B) Strike after the lich is gone... the fact that they're doing nothing but wait is not surprising. Well, probably they're bringing in more elves and making preparations.

licoot
2010-02-25, 04:15 PM
Either they would have been crushed horribly by hoards of goblins and hobgoblins...

... or they are waiting with the resistance to show up at some plot convenient time.

Steward
2010-02-25, 05:34 PM
Let's see. Elves are Hinjo's allies, so probably they have been given all the important information bits that Hinjo knows about what they confront. Namely:

-The fact that there is an epic lich sorcerer in town that could scry & slaugther all of them in 10 rounds.

-The fact that this lich will shortly leave Azure city probably for weeks or months, taking with him his most powerful allies, and leaving it in the hands of mere hobgoblins.

Yes, but wouldn't Xykon be too shocked to stop them if they attacked before he left? I mean, who would ever expect creatures as intelligent as elfin terrorists to figure out that attacking a bunch of hobgoblins + goblin cleric + an mighty sorcerer lich might be harder than attacking just a bunch of hobgoblins? It's so stupid that Xykon might forget about all of his superpowers just by witnessing it.

Vaarsuvius4181
2010-03-04, 06:35 AM
They're elves. They are probably smoking pot and communing with the spiritual forces of nature...

Dont be hatin.

SPoD
2010-03-04, 06:37 AM
It's only a matter of time before this thread is used as proof that Rich wrote #705 in direct response to reader inquiries.

Asta Kask
2010-03-04, 06:39 AM
Dont be hatin.

I'm not hatin', I'm just sayin'. At least they're not 8' tall and blue.

Magicyop
2010-03-04, 07:36 AM
I'm not hatin', I'm just sayin'. At least they're not 8' tall and blue.

For a moment I read that as 8" and thought you were talking about the Smurfs. :smalltongue:

For those who still think that Team Peregrine were the "Elven Insurgents", let me explain political jargon to you. Imagine this if you will.

Say that someone attempted to assassinate the president. They bypass all his defenses and attack him multiple times, taking the life of one of his aides and poking out the eye of his partner. Eventually, they are stopped and imprisoned.

Now, you're the president. When you give a speech to the nation regarding what just happened, what are you going to say?

1): "A dude attacked me and nearly killed me."
2): "Terrorists infiltrated the White House and initiated a plot to assassinate me."

Redcloak would never, ever admit that it was just ONE ELF that caused all the trouble. He would say that it was elven insurgents, or elven terrorists.
Politics =/= truth.

Kish
2010-03-04, 07:42 AM
For a moment I read that as 8" and thought you were talking about the Smurfs. :smalltongue:

For those who still think that Team Peregrine were the "Elven Insurgents", let me explain political jargon to you. Imagine this if you will.

Say that someone attempted to assassinate the president. They bypass all his defenses and attack him multiple times, taking the life of one of his aides and poking out the eye of his partner. Eventually, they are stopped and imprisoned.

Now, you're the president. When you give a speech to the nation regarding what just happened, what are you going to say?
I agree that Vaarsuvius is the "insurgents," but, this analogy ignores the fact that they're in a world with levels and no fourth wall. Redcloak could have said, "an epic-level elven insurgent," and it would be as least as impressive as multiple "elven insurgents." If anything, perhaps he didn't mention the epic-level part because he decided that would be too scary.

Snake-Aes
2010-03-04, 07:45 AM
I agree that Vaarsuvius is the "insurgents," but, this analogy ignores the fact that they're in a world with levels and no fourth wall. Redcloak could have said, "an epic-level elven insurgent," and it would be as least as impressive as multiple "elven insurgents." If anything, perhaps he didn't mention the epic-level part because he decided that would be too scary.

Numbers are numbers. Redcloak is fairly high level(estimated to be above 15, probably 16 or even 17, though we haven't seen level 9 spells yet), and Xykon is actually epic enough one could shove him into the upper 20s, alongside with Tsukiko, that happens to be the magical past-10s police corp. One epic will still feel rather weak in comparison to "a group of insurgents"

TriForce
2010-03-04, 07:46 AM
It's only a matter of time before this thread is used as proof that Rich wrote #705 in direct response to reader inquiries.

wait.... didnt he?

Vaarsuvius4181
2010-03-04, 08:46 PM

He wrote is solely because of this thread :)

SPoD
2010-03-05, 06:37 AM
If anything, perhaps he didn't mention the epic-level part because he decided that would be too scary.

Exactly; the goal isn't just to explain away the damage, it's to inspire the hobgoblins to be ready to fight them when they show up again. One epic level insurgent is so far beyond the abilities of the average hobgoblin that it will likely just lead to outright terror at the thought of him or her. A group of lower level insurgents? Well, the average hobgoblin may have a chance at beating those, so STAY ALERT, PEOPLE!

Vaarsuvius4181
2010-03-05, 06:51 AM
Exactly; the goal isn't just to explain away the damage, it's to inspire the hobgoblins to be ready to fight them when they show up again. One epic level insurgent is so far beyond the abilities of the average hobgoblin that it will likely just lead to outright terror at the thought of him or her. A group of lower level insurgents? Well, the average hobgoblin may have a chance at beating those, so STAY ALERT, PEOPLE!

Morale is everything.