PDA

View Full Version : On Invocation Balance...

Mulletmanalive
2010-02-21, 08:00 PM
What category would a Blast Shape that made your Eldritch Blast into a Gaze attack be?

I would presume active and passive functions but only in one direction...

Hunter Noventa
2010-02-21, 08:08 PM
So you want a blast shape that makes everyone who meets the gaze of the warlock take Eldritch blast damage? I'd say Dark if it has no save, Greater if it allows a reflex save.

Forever Curious
2010-02-21, 09:21 PM
So you want a blast shape that makes everyone who meets the gaze of the warlock take Eldritch blast damage? I'd say Dark if it has no save, Greater if it allows a reflex save.

Agreed. That just sounds crazy powerful, even with a save (even more powerful than Eldritch Doom, but that's just me).

DaTedinator
2010-02-21, 09:43 PM
Gaze attacks grant saves by default. I'd say, if it's no effect on a successful save (not sure why it would be), Greater, and if it's half effect on a successful save, possibly Dark, but still probably just Greater. By only one direction, do you mean a cone? Because I don't think that's necessary.

As for the Eldritch Doom comparison, keep in mind, you can't choose whether or not a Gaze affects your allies. They can avert their gaze and only have a 50% chance of needing to save each round, but the only way to have a 100% chance of not needing to save is to close your eyes (or "turn your back," but, there's no facing in D&D...) While an Eldritch Gaze is crazy flavorful, I don't think I'd take it for that precise reason.

Mulletmanalive
2010-02-22, 03:38 AM
Gaze attacks are pretty much always "Save/Neg" which is what i was going for. I rather like the idea of someone making eye contact with the warlock and having part of their body turn to ice...or catch fire

Vaynor
2010-02-22, 03:46 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e6/Cyclopsjc.jpg

Mulletmanalive
2010-02-22, 04:46 AM
In all fairness Vaynor, my character does that anyway; i was just hoping for a more...spiritual seeming attack for later on rather than a massive cone of blasty doom...

TabletopNuke
2010-02-24, 03:11 PM
That's all in the visual effects! Just say that anyone who meets the warlock's gaze is wracked with spasms as smokey wisps of supernatural energy enshroud their body.

I think should be Dark, and grant a Fort save (or other save, depending on the source of the power).

Mulletmanalive
2010-02-24, 07:28 PM
GM and I have had a talk and we're going for Greater with a 30ft Gaze. It's significantly less powerful than Eldritch Doom as it's Fort/Neg rather than Ref/Half and doesn't distinguish between friend and foe.

The primary attack is a beam of "dimming" from the warlock's eyes that causes damage to the target. This one is supposed to be replacement of the eyes with little maws [a la the Corinthian from Sandman] that causes little pieces of the soul of anyone who meets his gaze to be sucked out through his eyes...

After watching The Reckoning, we're now trying to work out how to do a plague of locusts in the manner of the film [this was MASSIVE and caused suffocation]...

AbyssKnight
2010-02-25, 10:21 AM
Rather than start a new thread, this seems an appropriate one to ask....

I was thinking about creating some new invocations. I would like some opinions on level and ideas for creative "twists."

Telekinesis- as per the spell. I am thinking Greater based on comparing spell level. No ideas for any warlock-y twists, but almost anything extra would probably push it into Dark territory. But I don't think it necessarily needs anything extra either.

So does Greater sound right for Telekinesis without any extra frills?
Any ideas for adding a more Warlock flavor to it, with the understanding that it may make it a Dark invocation?

Read Thoughts- as per the spell. I definately like to add an extra effect to this one. Maybe you can target a person whose thoughts you are reading with Confusion, or something like that.

What are some other ideas for the rider effect?
Does Lesser sound appropriate for this one?

DaTedinator
2010-02-25, 12:11 PM
Telekinesis is actually a really potent spell to have at will. It does seem like a weak dark without adding a little boost (but it'd only need a little one), but it definitely seems too nice for a greater.

TabletopNuke
2010-02-25, 05:26 PM
This one is supposed to be replacement of the eyes with little maws [a la the Corinthian from Sandman] that causes little pieces of the soul of anyone who meets his gaze to be sucked out through his eyes...

Oh dang! Someone should totally make a Corinthian-style eye-mouth invocations. That would be AWESOME!

I was thinking about creating some new invocations. I would like some opinions on level and ideas for creative "twists."

Telekinesis- as per the spell. I am thinking Greater based on comparing spell level. No ideas for any warlock-y twists, but almost anything extra would probably push it into Dark territory. But I don't think it necessarily needs anything extra either.

So does Greater sound right for Telekinesis without any extra frills?
Any ideas for adding a more Warlock flavor to it, with the understanding that it may make it a Dark invocation?

Read Thoughts- as per the spell. I definately like to add an extra effect to this one. Maybe you can target a person whose thoughts you are reading with Confusion, or something like that.

What are some other ideas for the rider effect?
Does Lesser sound appropriate for this one?

You seen my mindscourge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7460597#post7460597) (psionic warlock) homebrew? I've turned telekinesis and thought reading into anomalies (psychic invocations). Feel free to to make them into regular invocations for your warlock. There's lots more new, psychic-flavored ones on the mindscourge page.

Mental Intrusion
Greater, Telepathy (Charm) [Mind-Affecting]; 5th
Display: Auditory
Range: Close (25 ft + 5 ft/2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will partial (see text)
Power Resistance: Yes
All the subject’s memories and knowledge are accessible to you, from memories deep below the surface to those still easily called to mind. You can learn the answer to one question per round, to the best of the subject’s knowledge. If the subject succeeds on a Will save, it is not required to answer the question; however, making a save does not end the anomaly. You can ask the subject a new question (or the same question) in subsequent rounds for as long as the anomaly’s duration persists.

You can question a sleeping subject and automatically get an answer to your inquiry. If the subject then succeeds on a Will save, it wakes after providing the answer and thereafter can resist answering by making Will saves as described above.

Subjects that do not wish to be probed can attempt to move beyond the anomaly’s range, unless they are somehow hindered. You pose the questions telepathically, and the answers to those questions are imparted directly to your mind. You and the subject do not need to speak the same language, though less intelligent creatures may yield up only appropriate visual images in answer to your questions.

Telekinetic Manipulation
Phenomenal, Telekinesis; 6th
Display: Visual
Range: Close (25 ft. +5ft./2 levels)
Target: See text
Duration: Concentration (up to 1 round/ level) or instantaneous; see text
Saving Throw: Will negates (object) or None; see text
Power Resistance: Yes (object); see text

You move objects or creatures by concentrating on them. Depending on the version selected, the anomaly can provide a gentle, sustained force, perform a variety of combat maneuvers, or exert a single short, violent thrust.

Sustained Force: A sustained force moves an object weighing no more than 25 pounds per manifester level (maximum 375 pounds at 15th level) up to 20 feet per round. A creature can negate the effect on an object it possesses with a successful Will Save or with power resistance.

This version of the anomaly can last 1 round per manifester level, but it ends if you cease concentration. The weight can be moved vertically, horizontally, or in both directions. An object cannot be moved beyond your range. The anomaly ends if the object is forced beyond the range. If you cease concentration for any reason, the object falls or stops.

An object can be telekinetically manipulated as if with one hand. For example, a lever or rope can be pulled, a key can be turned, an object rotated, and so on, if the force required is within the weight limitation. You might even be able to untie simple knots, though delicate activities such as these require Intelligence checks set by the DM.

Combat Maneuver: Alternatively, once per round, you can use telekinesis to perform a bull rush, disarm, grapple (including pin), or trip. Resolve these attempts as normal, except that they don’t provoke attacks of opportunity, you use your manifester level in place of your base attack bonus (for disarm and grapple), you use your Charisma modifier in place of your Strength or Dexterity modifier, and a failed attempt doesn’t allow a reactive attempt by the target (such as for disarm or trip). No save is allowed against these attempts, but power resistance applies normally. This version of the anomaly can last 1 round per manifester level, but it ends if you cease concentration.

Violent Thrust: Alternatively, the psychic energy can be spent in a single round. You can hurl one object or creature per manifester level (maximum 15) that are within range and all within 10 feet of each other toward any target within 10 feet per level of all the objects. You can hurl up to a total weight of 25 pounds per manifester level (maximum 375 pounds at 15th level).

You must succeed on attack rolls (one per creature or object thrown) to hit the target with the items, using your base attack bonus + your Charisma modifier. Weapons cause standard damage (with no Strength bonus; note that arrows or bolts deal damage as daggers of their size when used in this manner). Other objects cause damage ranging from 1 point per 25 pounds (for less dangerous objects) to 1d6 points of damage per 25 pounds (for hard, dense objects).

Creatures who fall within the weight capacity of the spell can be hurled, but they are allowed Will Saves (and power resistance) to negate the effect, as are those whose held possessions are targeted by the spell. If a targeted creature is hurled against a solid surface, it takes damage as if it had fallen 10 feet (1d6 points).