PDA

View Full Version : Modular Stones- a Weapon/Armor Crystal Fix (D&D 3.5) PEACH

Forever Curious
2010-02-21, 09:03 PM
(my first homebrew attempt ever)

Modular Stones can be equipped to any masterwork weapon or armor (or Warforged Composite Plating). Any item can only have one Stone equipped at a time unless enhanced to allow more, the equivalent of a +1 enchantment per additional stone (for example, a weapon able to use three stones would require an enhancement equal to a +2 enchantment). A Stone can be created to replicate any Arcane spell or weapon enchantment (such as Flaming Burst) and are priced as follows:

Continuous/Use Activated spell effects: 2,200gp x caster level x spell level (x4 for duration measured in rounds, x2 for duration measured in minutes, x1.5 for duration measured in hours).

Enhancement Cost: Enhancement bonus x Enhancement bonus x 1,000gp (armor) or 2,000 gp (weapons)

Spell abilities granted by stones can be used at will. Area of effect spells are centered on the stone, and "personal" range spells affect whoever is holding the item equipped with the stone. Swapping stones is a move action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Melayl
2010-02-21, 09:37 PM
I take it you play Fate?

At first glance, they seem rather expensive. To get more than one on any item, you need to pay the cost of a regular +1 enchantment, and (going by the text) you can't attach one to a magic item at all (you may want to clarify that).

I'm assuming (although it is also not stated) that you can change out Stones when you want to. That mignt make the cost worth it. What kind of action would it be to change out Stones?

Enhancement bonuses are lower than for standard magic items (which is bonus squared x2000, not 1000). I don't know if that's balanced (if it was intentional). Others on the board are better at determining that.

They do seem useful (having armor that can Heal you, for example).

Forever Curious
2010-02-21, 09:43 PM
1) I take it you play Fate?

2) At first glance, they seem rather expensive. To get more than one on any item, you need to pay the cost of a regular +1 enchantment, and (going by the text) you can't attach one to a magic item at all (you may want to clarify that).

3) I'm assuming (although it is also not stated) that you can change out Stones when you want to. That mignt make the cost worth it. What kind of action would it be to change out Stones?

Enhancement bonuses are lower than for standard magic items (which is bonus squared x2000, not 1000). I don't know if that's balanced (if it was intentional). Others on the board are better at determining that.

They do seem useful (having armor that can Heal you, for example).

Numbers added for ease of use.

1) Never heard of it.

2) Hence why they're less expensive than regular weapon enchantments. And they can be equipped to already magic items (for example, a +1 Flaming Longsword can have a single stone of Searing Ray).

3) Fixed.

Draz74
2010-02-21, 10:12 PM
First of all, Forever Curious, your signature is "win."

Second ... could you give some examples of stones that would come out of this system, and why they're better than the existing Weapon/Armor Crystals? My head isn't quite wrapping itself around the idea yet.

Eurus
2010-02-21, 10:20 PM
Interesting. So this is almost like the Materia system from FFVII?

arguskos
2010-02-21, 10:23 PM
Basically, you can make Modular Stones that do stuff that the current augment crystals don't do.

For example, you can make a stone that casts cure light wounds, and attach it to your armor. Ta-da! Armor that can cast Cure Light Wounds at-will, as a standard action, and you can give that stone to someone else for their use as well! Make one of Ironguard, and you are immune to metallic weapons forever. Attach a stone of wraithstrike to your sword and be awesome forever. Etc.

Forever Curious
2010-02-21, 10:24 PM
First of all, Forever Curious, your signature is "win."

Second ... could you give some examples of stones that would come out of this system, and why they're better than the existing Weapon/Armor Crystals? My head isn't quite wrapping itself around the idea yet.

With pleasure...

Stone of Water Breathing (caster level 5th): 49,000 gp.
Effect: ability to breathe underwater at will.

No other weapon crystal lets you do this (although I believe there are other magic items that allow this cheaper...:smallsigh:)

Better example!

Stone of Dancing: 16,000 gp
Effect: A dancing weapon (that doesn't always have to be)

Pretty sure no other crystal allows this.

...to be honest I really compared these to standard weapon enchantments than to Augment Crystals.

Forever Curious
2010-02-21, 10:25 PM
Basically, you can make Modular Stones that do stuff that the current augment crystals don't do.

For example, you can make a stone that casts cure light wounds, and attach it to your armor. Ta-da! Armor that can cast Cure Light Wounds at-will, as a standard action, and you can give that stone to someone else for their use as well! Make one of Ironguard, and you are immune to metallic weapons forever. Attach a stone of wraithstrike to your sword and be awesome forever. Etc.

Pretty much the intention.

Forever Curious
2010-02-21, 10:26 PM
Interesting. So this is almost like the Materia system from FFVII?

...um...sure *has never played FFVII* :smallredface:

arguskos
2010-02-21, 10:32 PM
Two notes.

First, dude, there's an Edit button. Multiposting is frowned on in these here parts. :smallwink:

Second, I actually want to say that the "at-will" thing is a bit much. I mean, think about Wraithstrike (level 2 spell from the Spell Compendium, makes your attacks for the next round touch attacks). At-will, this means you can get touch attacks when you want/need them basically whenever. Yeah, you have to burn a standard action (I think, you never specified an action for using the stone), but that means you can touch attack full attack once every two turns, which is still good.

That's not even a great use of the stones, and it's still enough to make me leery of the at-will. Change it to say... 1 or 3/day for spells, and I think that'd be a better balanced object.

Forever Curious
2010-02-21, 10:43 PM
Two notes.

First, dude, there's an Edit button. Multiposting is frowned on in these here parts. :smallwink:

Second, I actually want to say that the "at-will" thing is a bit much. I mean, think about Wraithstrike (level 2 spell from the Spell Compendium, makes your attacks for the next round touch attacks). At-will, this means you can get touch attacks when you want/need them basically whenever. Yeah, you have to burn a standard action (I think, you never specified an action for using the stone), but that means you can touch attack full attack once every two turns, which is still good.

That's not even a great use of the stones, and it's still enough to make me leery of the at-will. Change it to say... 1 or 3/day for spells, and I think that'd be a better balanced object.

...oh yeah...:smallredface: Forum etiquette isn't my cup of tea.

Keep in mind that's going to cost 52,800 gp (assuming minimum caster level). Still...I see your point. Maybe adding an additional modifier for the number of times they can be activated? (no additional cost for 3/day, but *1.5 for each additional use...maybe?).

arguskos
2010-02-21, 10:45 PM
...oh yeah...:smallredface: Forum etiquette isn't my cup of tea.

Keep in mind that's going to cost 52,800 gp (assuming minimum caster level). Still...I see your point. Maybe adding an additional modifier for the number of times they can be activated? (no additional cost for 3/day, but *1.5 for each additional use...maybe?).
I'd just hard cap it at 3/day. There's too many good spells I'd want stones of to trust otherwise I think. Course, that's also your call. :smallwink:

Bout the posting, eh, 'sok. They're somewhat lax about multiposts, but it IS a board rule. Better to play by the rules than get tagged for something silly, yes? :smallbiggrin:

Forever Curious
2010-02-21, 10:48 PM
I'd just hard cap it at 3/day. There's too many good spells I'd want stones of to trust otherwise I think. Course, that's also your call. :smallwink:

Bout the posting, eh, 'sok. They're somewhat lax about multiposts, but it IS a board rule. Better to play by the rules than get tagged for something silly, yes? :smallbiggrin:

I'd keep it as is (not like it's going out to be official material or anything). Plus I enjoy seeing people work out broken builds and hax (now, whether I let them use it is another matter :smalltongue:)

I'll keep that in mind, sir.

Temotei
2010-02-21, 10:50 PM

Indeed...something like having too big a signature. :smallamused:

I'm also in favor of a cap on uses.

arguskos
2010-02-21, 10:55 PM
I'd keep it as is (not like it's going out to be official material or anything). Plus I enjoy seeing people work out broken builds and hax (now, whether I let them use it is another matter :smalltongue:)

I'll keep that in mind, sir.
That's fair, though I like fixing breaks at the source. Difference in styles I think.

Forever Curious
2010-02-21, 10:58 PM
That's fair, though I like fixing breaks at the source. Difference in styles I think.

So it would seem. Plus limited use magic items (although completely justified) irk me personally.

Temotei
2010-02-21, 10:59 PM
Would an at-will wish be 336,600 gp then?

Yum.

arguskos
2010-02-21, 10:59 PM
So it would seem. Plus limited use magic items (although completely justified) irk me personally.
Not a wand fan I see. Shame. My favorite magic item type is limited use (and fairly uncommonly known to boot).

Forever Curious
2010-02-21, 11:04 PM
Not a wand fan I see. Shame. My favorite magic item type is limited use (and fairly uncommonly known to boot).

Correction: limited times per day (my mistake). Love wands, love staves (staffs?).

arguskos
2010-02-21, 11:05 PM
Correction: limited times per day (my mistake). Love wands, love staves (staffs?).
Ah. You'd like Scepters too I bet. Check Lost Empires of Faerun for details (totally worth it, btw). :smallwink:

Forever Curious
2010-02-21, 11:13 PM
Ah. You'd like Scepters too I bet. Check Lost Empires of Faerun for details (totally worth it, btw). :smallwink:

...they just SOUND awesome (not a Faerun-lover myself. More of an Ebberon-man).

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-21, 11:20 PM
Armor Enhancement should be x1,000gp. Weapon Enhancement should be x2,000gp. Weapons are more expensive.

arguskos
2010-02-21, 11:25 PM
...they just SOUND awesome (not a Faerun-lover myself. More of an Ebberon-man).
It's not Faerun specific. All a scepter is is a two-spell wand of up to 7th level. It's the missing link between Wands and Staves.

Forever Curious
2010-02-21, 11:42 PM
It's not Faerun specific. All a scepter is is a two-spell wand of up to 7th level. It's the missing link between Wands and Staves.

Nice. My friend was contemplating homebrewing dual-spell wands. Guess they're superfluous.

arguskos
2010-02-21, 11:48 PM
Nice. My friend was contemplating homebrewing dual-spell wands. Guess they're superfluous.
Scepters have a clever mechanic for handling higher-level spells too: spells of levels 1-4 cost 1 charge, spells of levels 5-7 cost 2). Basically, I love the damn item type, but they're stupid uncommon, since no one seems to like wands and staves.

Anyhow! Enough with me and the whole "I LURVE SCEPTERS SO MUCH OMG" derail. Back to your stones! :smallwink:

Temotei
2010-02-22, 12:08 AM
Scepters have a clever mechanic for handling higher-level spells too: spells of levels 1-4 cost 1 charge, spells of levels 5-7 cost 2). Basically, I love the damn item type, but they're stupid uncommon, since no one seems to like wands and staves.

Anyhow! Enough with me and the whole "I LURVE SCEPTERS SO MUCH OMG" derail. Back to your stones! :smallwink:

Ooohhh...that sounds cool. I'll have to add those to my campaign. :smallamused:

arguskos
2010-02-22, 12:15 AM
Ooohhh...that sounds cool. I'll have to add those to my campaign. :smallamused:
I lurve Scepters SOO MUCH. Stats:
Physical Stats: 10 hp, hardness 8, break DC of 24
Activation Stats: one-handed, spell-trigger activation, standard action that does not provoke, 50 charges, contains 2 spells of levels 1-7 (uses charges as above)
Pricing: CL x spell level x 750 gp for the highest level spell plus CL x spell level x 375 gp for the second spell plus 1/25th that cost in XP.

Also, back on topic, I've been thinking I might adapt the general pricing scheme here for a few objects in my own games. I've got an idea or three for stuff I'd use stones like this for.