PDA

View Full Version : Ithilanor's Red Hand of Doom

IthilanorStPete
2010-02-21, 10:55 PM
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142920)

The afternoon sun beats down upon the band of adventurers, the air hot and still. The sparsely settled lands of the western Elsir Vale are starting to grow monotonous, with a seemingly endless line of dusty flyspeck towns. Drellin's Ferry, the merchant town at thw west end of the Vale, lies a few miles ahead of you. The settlement, hard on the borders of the Witchwood, is the best place to begin exploring the forest. Drellin's Ferry should be a good base camp from which to search for the fabled vault of Vraath Keep. The town is the largest settlement in the west of the Vale, keystone to all the trade that doesn't pass through the cities of Brindol or Terrelton to the east.

Rumors of increased goblin activity have reached the ears of all of the party; if goblins are indeed plaguing the settlements of the Elsir Vale, the area of Drellin's Ferry and the Witchwood is their natural target.

The trail, leading through the forest, crests a small rise and descends into a dusty grove in a large, shallow dell. An abandoned farmhouse, partially visible through the trees, stands on one side of the road.

Map of the trail:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/Ithilanor/MarauderAttackmodified4.png

Key:
Brown is the farmhouse.
R's are the humanoids shooting at you.
Hh is the fiery hound.
Bb is the one with two swords.
C is the one with a shield.
The ones with red circles on them are dead.
The letters are the party, colored appropriately.

VinGoodman
2010-02-23, 02:06 PM
Eleniel the Elf (at E7) looks up and eastward. It has been a long journey thus far, or at least it felt like a long journey. Although the band she's traveling with seemed pleasant enough, Eleniel looks clearly ready for a break from the hike. As her green eyes catch sight of the the abandoned farmhouse, she couldn't help but wonder if the goblin raids were the reason for the abandonment.

Presently she pauses to adjust the four quivers on her back, before picking up the pace to catch up to the party. As she does so, a ray of light reflects off the chain about her neck. The chain ended in an intricate symbol, depicting an open palm holding a musical note and emitting a rainbow, and contrasts nicely with the silver of her chain shirt. Every so often, you hear a clink from the morning star dangled at her side.

She looks to Arcaneaux next to her and Cassius on his horse further to the left. They seem to be holding up, she thought to herself. Presently, she calls out to the dwarf marching at point, "Harig! How much longer do you reckon we have before camp?"

Tar Palantir
2010-02-23, 02:38 PM
Harig glances over his shoulder at Eleniel and snorts derisively. "If you're already tired, you're in luck. We should be within sight of Drellin's Ferry within a couple of hours. Hmph!" He adjusts his shield in his right hand, muttering to himself, "We'd of been there two days ago if these lightweights could march for more'n ten ours without callin' it quits." He does his best to keep his eyes open, but his eyes were never great, and he's forced to squint more than he'd care to admit.

He shouts back behind him, "Eh, Cassius! Why don't you give us a song? Somethin' to really get the blood pumpin', with some dragons or somethin'. By Kord, I'd like to see a dragon. Show that overgrown lizard who's boss, ha!" He smacks the side of his axe against his shield, which shakes with a resounding crack. "He'd never know what hit 'em!"

IthilanorStPete
2010-02-23, 05:11 PM
As the party walks along, they catch a glint of mail through the brush by the side of the road. Tall, hairy humanoids can be seen lying in ambush! Everyone but Arcaneaux catches sight of them just as the marauders prepare to loose a barrage of arrows - the wizard rides on obliviously.

The hobgoblins fire a barrage, three arrows shooting at Eleniel, one at Arcaneaux, two at Harig. One arrow penetetrates Eleniel's armor, and another strikes Arcanaeux in the gut, hitting a vital area.

Through the trees, you can catch glimpses of a large, rusty red hound, fiery breath issuing from its mouth.

Ernir
2010-02-23, 05:48 PM
He shouts back behind him, "Eh, Cassius! Why don't you give us a song? Somethin' to really get the blood pumpin', with some dragons or somethin'. By Kord, I'd like to see a dragon. Show that overgrown lizard who's boss, ha!" He smacks the side of his axe against his shield, which shakes with a resounding crack. "He'd never know what hit 'em!"

"Really, Harig, we are only strolling, hardly an occasion for an draconic battlesong. How about The Dance of the Nymph and..." the suggestion is abruptly interrupted as arrows start flying.

"Or maybe it is time for a battlesong after all! Ah! To battle!"
And as Cassius begins the song, you do indeed feel your blood pumping with the strength of dragons!

JohnnyCancer
2010-02-23, 06:54 PM
Arceneaux was in his own little world as he was wont to be when on the road. He was aware that his traveling companions were chatting, be he hadn't been addressed so he didn't have anything to say. Suddenly his world exploded in agony. He looked down at his stomach, barely holding back tears.

"But I need those," he protested in quiet horror.

VinGoodman
2010-02-23, 09:40 PM
"Harig, Cassius, cover us!" Eleniel yelled as she hurried to Arcaneax. Calling on Lydia to aid them, she grabs hold of the holy symbol and puts her hand on the wound, hoping it is enough.

OOC
Cure moderate wound - you did say 1 arrow, right? (I'll figure out what to drop for it later...I don't have my sheet with me) for [roll0]. Don't forget we get +1 for attack, damage, saves and skill checks everyone!

IthilanorStPete
2010-02-25, 11:48 PM
Harig misses wildly with the swing of his shield, as Eleniel frantically heals the injured wizard and Cassius strikes up a jaunty tune. The archers to the north send a barrage at Eleniel, missing wildly and glancing off her armor. To the south, the archers attempt to bring down the injured wizard, one arrow finding it's mark and causing a light flesh wound. The hobgoblin attacked by Harig frantically drops his bow and scrabbles for the longsword at his belt, inviting another blow from the dwarf.

Down the road, the fiery hound trots out of the trees, growls, and begins to bear down on the party.

Ernir
2010-02-26, 10:32 PM
"Harig, Cassius, cover us!"

"Uh, no problem!" :smalleek:, Cassius shouts, fires up some spells, and takes out two daggers.

JohnnyCancer
2010-02-27, 03:01 AM
Arceneaux casts his Extended Mage Armor spell. "Why didn't I do this after breakfast?"

IthilanorStPete
2010-02-27, 10:12 PM
To the south, Harig's ferocious attack and Eleniel's covering fire bring down the hobgoblins. The hobgoblins to the northwest are blinded by Cassius's spell and fall prone; to the northeast, an arrow flies out at Arcaneux and is deflected off of his magical armor.

The hell hound moves to attck Eleniel, and bites at her, deflecting off her armor.

To the east, alerted by the guttural screams of their comrades, a pair of hobgoblins stalk out of the farmhouse. One is armed with a pair of short swords, the other bearing a large shield, a heavy mace at his belt.

VinGoodman
2010-02-27, 10:32 PM
Eleniel steps 5' north to get out of harm's way, and fires at the enemy in the northeast, while calling out, "Cassius, can you keep this hound busy for a round or two?"

OOC

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]
cold damage [roll2]

crit check, if attack above is 27 (27/x3)
attack [roll3]
damage [roll4]

IthilanorStPete
2010-02-27, 10:33 PM
OOC:
Which enemy are you talking about?

VinGoodman
2010-02-27, 10:46 PM
OOC
The one that fired at Arcaneux. I believe that's the last of the original 6 H's standing. We downed the 3 on the left, and Cassius' spell took out two who fell prone, which leaves one standing that I hope I took out. If it's not there, you could just have the arrow go at the hell hound.

Tar Palantir
2010-02-28, 12:50 AM
Harig hoists his shield once more and emits a barking laugh. "That devil dog is roast meat! Back to the hells with ye!" This final exclamation is punctuated with a headlong charge at the murderous fiend.

Charging the Hell Hound.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]

If Trip Succeeds
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Off Hand Attack
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Ernir
2010-02-28, 11:02 AM
"I'm a lover, not a... oh, hell."
Cassius hurls both daggers at the dog-thing.

JohnnyCancer
2010-03-01, 10:52 AM
Arceneaux took quick stock of the changing battlefield, looking for the beneficiary of the spell he had in mind. He dashed behind Harig and began recalling the mystic words and signs.

"It's me," he said quietly once he was behind the warrior "Don't kick me or something."

He cast Bull's Strength and put his hand on Harig's shoulder, endowing him with greater strength.

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-02, 08:45 PM
Arcaneaux moves behind Harig and strengthens him even further; Harig charges the hound and butchers it with a single bash from a shield, the hound flying apart into ethereal-y bits. Eleniel's arrow slays the last archer in a burst of icy cold, while one of Cassius's daggers find home in their foe's flesh.

The hobgoblin with two swords lets out a guttural roar and charges towards Eleniel, taking a mighty swing and glancing once again off her armor. The hobgoblin with a shield grasps a divine focus around his neck, mutters a few words, and disappears from sight.

Cassius only:

You can remember tales of a cult of Hobgoblin Warblades called the Blade Bearers, champions who wield a pair of short swords in combat. They have developed special techniques to optimize their unusual style of fighting with two blades, as well as being known for courageously inspiring charges from their hobgoblin comrades.

VinGoodman
2010-03-02, 10:21 PM
OOC

Does Harig, and possibly Cassius, get AoO against the charging hobgoblin? More importantly, with Harig charging at and dispatching the hell hound and Cassius moving up to cast a spell at him, do they block the charging path?

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-02, 10:33 PM
OOC

No - the charging one's path was straight diagonally, it didn't go anywhere near anyone's threatened areas.

VinGoodman
2010-03-02, 10:36 PM
OOC

Just saw the updated map. It's all clear to me now. Thanks.

VinGoodman
2010-03-02, 10:44 PM
Eleniel steps away from the hobgoblin, thanks Lydia for keeping her from harm, and fires an arrow at the sword wielding hobgoblin.

OOC

attack [roll0] (bab 2, dex 3, enh 1, prayer 1)
damage [roll1] (str 2, enh 1, prayer 1)
cold dmg [roll2]

crit check (apply if attack is 27/x2)
attack [roll3]
damage [roll4]

Edited to add: Sigh, if only the two attack rolls were reversed.

Tar Palantir
2010-03-02, 11:09 PM
Harig steps up to the new threat which had so conveniently presented itself, and says, "You have two choices. You can either die horribly, or...well, I guess you only really have one choice." With that he swings his spiked shield at the hobgoblin's gut and his ax at the creature's legs.

5 ft to E7 and full attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Ernir
2010-03-03, 10:48 AM
"The two-weapon hobgoblin is a martial adept! Watch out!" Cassius shouts, and draws out two more knives.

VinGoodman
2010-03-03, 11:04 AM
Eleniel calls out in response, "What's a martial adept?" But, she is clearly too focused with the fight at hand to really want a detailed discourse.

Tar Palantir
2010-03-03, 11:10 AM
Harig answers, "They're some kinda sword wizards that do things with a blade what out not to be possible. It ain't magic, not most of it, but it's a mite more complicated than swingin' a blade or crackin' a skull. Had a buddy once that studied some of that stuff." As his pair of deadly attacks both connect, he adds, "Impressive, but ain't worth nothin' if you don't got what it takes to begin with."

JohnnyCancer
2010-03-06, 11:27 PM
Arceneaux recalled the adage: There's no kill like overkill as he stayed by Harig and cast Sonic Weapon on the Dwarf's waraxe.

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-06, 11:46 PM
The Blade Bearer just kind of...explodes, cleaved in twain by Harig's attacks. The Cleric appears some way down the path - he makes a few gestures that you can associate with spellcasting, but Cassius's spell silences him, and nothing happens.

To the west, some hobgoblin archers appear...and see one of their leaders torn into pieces, and the other looking dumbfounded and helpless in the middle of the trail - they start to back off slowly. To the north, the two blinded hobgoblins attempt to crawl away through the brush.

VinGoodman
2010-03-07, 12:27 AM
Hoping to further demoralize the enemy, he fires an arrow at the cleric.

OOC

attack [roll0] (bab 2, dex 3, enh 1, prayer 1)
damage [roll1] (str 2, enh 1, prayer 1)
cold dmg [roll2]

Eleniel looks at the group, to see if death is warranted for the offending hobgoblins. "We could just tie them up and leave them in the farmhouse gagged, and let fate deal with these two as it may. Or, we could hasten them to their Worship."

Then, curious at the opposition's worship, Eleniel looks over the the cleric corpse thoroughly, relieving the corpse of all that is valuable, and handing the holy symbol to someone for proof of vanquishing the cleric.

Eleniel asks of the others, "anything of value on the others, that we may be able to use against them?"

Finally, as others gather together the goods the dead and the captured surrendered, she looks for arrows to replenish her stock.

Ernir
2010-03-07, 09:34 AM
Eleniel looks at the group, to see if death is warranted for the offending hobgoblins. "We could just tie them up and leave them in the farmhouse gagged, and let fate deal with these two as it may. Or, we could hasten them to their Worship."

"Leave them alive, I say. Someone's got to spread the story of our victory!"

JohnnyCancer
2010-03-07, 11:37 AM
Arceneaux did his best to keep the Hobgoblins in sight. "It seems ill advised to let them go. They may be running off to camp to fetch more friends."

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-07, 11:40 AM
Arceneaux did his best to keep the Hobgoblins in sight. "It seems ill advised to let them go. They may be running off to camp to fetch more friends."

The hobgoblins have started running flat out; you're only going to be able to keep up with them via determined pursuit.

Tar Palantir
2010-03-07, 01:43 PM
Harig replies back, in a voice loud enough for the goblins to hear easily, "I say, if they're nice an cooperative, we can take em back to a nice safe cell in town. If not, then we can use their faces to spread our story all over the countryside!"

VinGoodman
2010-03-07, 08:25 PM
"Let's go ahead and dispose of them. I am unconcerned with their fate, only that I have no wish of them bothering the villagers or us again. Perhaps a hand each, as payment for the troubles they took part in, and send them on their way?"

After that, Eleniel shrugs, "Or we can put them out of their misery. Anyone want to argue why they should be allowed to live?"

Eleniel turns and asks, "Is the blindness permanent? Or will they regain their sight in time?"

Finally, turning to the hobgoblins, "Do you wish to live, maimed and handicapped, or die an honorable death? It is indeed an honor to named among those claimed by the axe of Harig. You could depart with pride."

VinGoodman
2010-03-08, 01:15 PM
"Or, I suppose we could return to town for the day and let the town deal with them, recover and start our journey again. What say ye, friends?"

Ernir
2010-03-08, 07:38 PM
Eleniel turns and asks, "Is the blindness permanent? Or will they regain their sight in time?"

"Oh, they are probably fine by now. It's just a trick, I'm not some kind of necromancer who can curse people's eyes out." :smalleek:

Balancing his two new swords, he keeps musing.
"I don't think we're catching them. And we took out their leaders anyway, they are going to be spending the next few weeks arguing about who is next in line. The villages should be fine. And we have a quest to continue!"

VinGoodman
2010-03-08, 07:51 PM
Realizing Cassius may have misunderstood which hobgoblins she was referring to, Eleniel quickly clarified. "Oh, I have no intentions of chasing down those that turned tail and ran. I'm more curiously about these two you blinded and are now at Harig's axepoint."

OOC
There were those who ran. The blinded ones, we captured.

Ernir
2010-03-08, 08:30 PM
Realizing Cassius may have misunderstood which hobgoblins she was referring to, Eleniel quickly clarified. "Oh, I have no intentions of chasing down those that turned tail and ran. I'm more curiously about these two you blinded and are now at Harig's axepoint."

"Oh, right, those two. Of course."

"How about just tying them up and leaving them? Someone is bound to find them before they starve, and gutting them like fish isn't really the heroic thing to do, I'd say."

OOC
Yeah, it was totally Cassius that misunderstood. Ahem.

Tar Palantir
2010-03-08, 09:00 PM
Harig winces and shakes his head. "I dunno," he says, "Personally, I'd rather be gutted than tied up like a pig an' left to die. I've got a better idea." With that, he walks up to the two hobgoblins and takes out his ax. He then speaks to them in a matter-of-fact tone, "Now, I'm gonna cut off the little finger of your right hand. That's just how it's gonna be. After that, you can run off to wherever you damn well please. If I ever happen to capture a hobgoblin who's missin' the little finger of his right hand, then that hobgoblin will not receive the same mercy I am granting you now. In fact, that hobgoblin will suffer the most brutal tortures ever inflicted on a mortal being. Understand?"

Without waiting for an answer, he swings his ax down and lops the designated finger off the first goblin's hand, and before he finishes screaming the second one as well. As they scramble into the brush, he calls after them, "This'll be the day you will always remember as the day you crossed blades with Harig Grimbeard!" Glancing back over his shoulder, he says, "An' this lot too, I guess." He turns around and addresses his companions, saying, "We'd best be off then. We've got work to do."

VinGoodman
2010-03-08, 10:18 PM
Eleniel nodded. While she did not voice it, she was on the verge of suggesting they mark these two and warn them sternly never be in their sights again. She was relieved these thoughts were echoed by Harig's actions.

Once the armor and shields are safely stashed away in the abandoned farmhouse, Eleniel takes a quick look over the companions for injuries and spoke up, "Let's get going, then. Anyone still ailing from that scuffle?"

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-09, 12:26 AM
The two hobgoblins scramble away posthaste, grateful for the relative mercy.

In the farmhouse, you can find the dead bodies of what looks to be a merchant, a farmer, and three bodyguard types. The 3 guards each have studded leather armor and mundane light crossbows and longswords, of no remarkable craft. A small pouch by the bodies contains 355 gp.

VinGoodman
2010-03-09, 01:51 AM
Eleniel relieves the dead of the gold, passing 89 gp to each of the fellow members and pocketing 88gp herself. "Now, don't go spending it just yet. We may find people back in town with claim to this gold."

With a quick prayer for the souls of the dead, and a bit of time tucking away the armors and shields, she leaves the house, to continue on their journey.

JohnnyCancer
2010-03-10, 12:27 AM
Arceneaux elected to not share his thoughts on the matter of the found gold, in the interest of keeping the remainder of the journey as pleasant as possible.

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-10, 01:28 AM
And so the party transforms and rolls out moves on their merry way to Drellin's Ferry.

After a couple of hour's ride, the road descends into a small town built along both sides of a broad river. Six old stone piers jut from the banks, marking where bridges once stood, but none now remain - instead, a pair of flat-bottomed ferryboats are attached to long ropes, spanning the river. Drellin's Ferry is surrounded by broad fields and grassy orchards.

A group of armed townsfolk stand guard by the side of the road, watching you warily. Three of the guards wear leather and carry spears, while one is armed with mail and has a longsword at his belt. As you approach, he shouts "Halt and state your business, strangers. "

VinGoodman
2010-03-10, 06:34 AM
"Good day," Eleniel responded with a smile. "We are here in response to the goblin activity, and hope we can offer some assistance to bring peace to this region."

Sensing the level of tension with the folks before her, she chose to leave the discussions of Vraath Keep until later.

Addressing the apparent leader of the guards, she continued "It has been a long journey for us. Is there a place we can unload and settle in? Perhaps we can discuss the situation over some food and drinks there."

OOC
Eleniel attempts to put her diplomacy skills to use [roll0]

Ernir
2010-03-10, 11:58 AM
"Halt and state your business, strangers. "

"My pleasure! Strangers we may be, but our business is your benefit. For indeed, we are travelling heroes, come to do whatever we can to end the goblin menace! Just hours ago, we defeated one of their warbands. So how about we come closer and have an hour of mirth? Gods know we all need it."

"I, myself, am Cassius Tiko. You may have heard of me. he finishes, with a slight flourish of his cloak.

JohnnyCancer
2010-03-10, 01:08 PM
Arceneaux crossed his arms and offered a small, close-lipped smile; content to let his comrades speak on behalf of the group. He winced ever so slightly at Cassius' self-aggrandizement. He tuned out the conversation before his sense of vicarious embarassment caused his cheeks to flush and he instead admired the rustic beauty of the small town.

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-11, 03:44 PM
The guards look...mildly taken aback, if slightly impressed, by Cassius's flamboyance. "You defeated one of their warbands? Where? Those murderous savages have been harassing the town for days now, you're lucky you got through them!"

VinGoodman
2010-03-11, 04:28 PM
"Indeed we did. Apart for a set of archers and a hell hound who ambushed us, we managed to best a dual wielding fighter and a priest." Turning to the party, Eleniel inquired, "did any of you remember to grab that holy symbol from the priest?"

Eleniel continued, though she never enjoyed bringing such news. "The skirmish took place near an abandoned farmhouse but a few hours from here. Sadly, there were some casualties from before we arrived. We found the body of a farmer, who likely resided there before. These vile creatures may have used the house to drop the corpses from a different ambush as well. In addition to the farmer, we did locate the body of a merchant and some bodyguards there. We would be willing to escort a group with a wagon there to retrieve the bodies if you desire."

JohnnyCancer
2010-03-11, 05:46 PM
Arceneaux tuned back in just in time to catch the tail end of the guard's response. The wizard put far more stock in Harig's proficiency in battle than luck. He refrained from sighing, but looked askance at Eleniel's unilateral offer of assistance. Certainly, he would never volunteer her services like that. With the merest shrug, Arceneaux ceded such behavior the price of otherwise reliable traveling companions.

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-12, 11:50 AM
The lead guardsman raises an eyebrow curiously. "Indeed? good to hear you brought down that swordsman; we'd heard tell of him from the survivors of one attack he led. As for the bodies you mentioned...Pelor knows they deserve a proper burial, but we're hard pressed to defend ourselves, and I can't justify a guard to retrieve them. Speaking of...if you're truly willing to help us with this goblin menace, go talk to Guard Captain Soranna. She's in the Old Toll House - that large stone building by the bank of the river, where our town hall is."

VinGoodman
2010-03-13, 03:46 PM
"Thanks you for your directions. I fear I did not catch your name. Mine's Eleniel, and I hope we will be able to share a toast to the end of the goblin menace soon." With a smile and a nod, Eleniel bids good day to the guard and the folks, and makes a move to proceed to the Old Toll House, to meet with Guard Captain Soranna.

Ernir
2010-03-13, 06:33 PM
if you're truly willing to help us with this goblin menace, go talk to Guard Captain Soranna. She's in the Old Toll House - that large stone building by the bank of the river, where our town hall is."
Then that is where we shall go!

Onwards! What are we waiting for?!"

"Indeed we did. Apart for a set of archers and a hell hound who ambushed us, we managed to best a dual wielding fighter and a priest." Turning to the party, Eleniel inquired, "did any of you remember to grab that holy symbol from the priest?"

"Eh, yeah, I have it. Figured it's a nice trophy, and you never know when you need to pose as a member of an Evil clergy. Do you need it?"

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-14, 11:04 PM
Inside the large stone building identified as the Old Toll House, the party is directed to a tall balding man of about fity and a capable-looking swordswoman. The man says "I am Norro Wiston, Town Speaker of Drellin's Ferry, and this is Guard Captain Soranna. I am told you wish to help us out with our...goblin trouble?"

Ernir
2010-03-15, 03:25 PM
Inside the large stone building identified as the Old Toll House, the party is directed to a tall balding man of about fity and a capable-looking swordswoman. The man says "I am Norro Wiston, Town Speaker of Drellin's Ferry, and this is Guard Captain Soranna. I am told you wish to help us out with our...goblin trouble?"

"Indeed we do! Allow me to introduce myself. I am Cassius Tiko, singer and the nightmare of evildoers across many countries. And these..." he says, making a broad gesture with his hand towards the rest of the party "... are my companions. Harig Grimbeard, master of the blade and shield! Arcaneaux Arcane, great wizard! And Eleniel Tarawell, priestess and master markswoman."
He finishes the introductions with a dashing smile. Depending on the reception, he may try to kiss Soranna's hand.

"Now, what is it that we could do for you?"

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-15, 10:40 PM
While Wiston looks mildly impressed, the straightforward guard captain is somewhat taken aback by Cassius's flamboyance. "Our town is under attack," the speaker begins. "Hobgoblin raiders have been harrying our lands for several days now. They've attacked and killed people in the outlying homesteads, and they've been waylaying travelers along the Dawn Way."

Captain Soranna adds, "We've had some trouble with them before - a quick raid on homesteads on the west side of the river, usually not that bad - but this is different. Looks like a large, aggressive tribe has moved down out of the Wyrmsmokes, and they may be enough to get past our admittedly meagre defenses and sack the town."

"Beyond the immediate threat to our homes, the road is our lifeblood," the speaker continues. "If the hobgoblins make the Dawn Way impassable to the west, trade won't come this way, and we'll be ruined even without a sack. Not only do we need to repel these raiders, but we have to keep that road open. Can you help us?"

JohnnyCancer
2010-03-16, 12:03 AM
Arceneaux uncharacteristically spoke up "We can certainly be persuaded to help your community in exchange for fair recompense."

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-16, 05:36 PM
Captain Soranna turns to Arcaneaux ands looks askance at him. "Well, you'd be helping a lot of people by doing this, and you'd of course have full claim to any good the hobgoblins have already stolen."

Ernir
2010-03-16, 07:50 PM
Captain Soranna turns to Arcaneaux ands looks askance at him. "Well, you'd be helping a lot of people by doing this, and you'd of course have full claim to any good the hobgoblins have already stolen."

"That, and the knowledge that Evil has yet again been thwarted is reward enough for me!"*

"However... we have travelled far, and encountered hazards on our way, which has left our horses tired and our magical energies drained. That, combined with the fact that risking fighting goblinoids in the dark would be the height of folly, leads me to suggest that we delay our strike until tomorrow."

OOC:*This might be a bluff. The knowledge that Evil has yet again been thwarted and that he might get really really famous for it is reward enough for him. :smalltongue:
If required: [roll0]

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-16, 08:16 PM
"That, and the knowledge that Evil has yet again been thwarted is reward enough for me!"*

"However... we have travelled far, and encountered hazards on our way, which has left our horses tired and our magical energies drained. That, combined with the fact that risking fighting goblinoids in the dark would be the height of folly, leads me to suggest that we delay our strike until tomorrow."

Speaker Wiston nods. "Sounds like an excellent plan. We'll gladly put you up for the night in the Old Bridge Inn; a few gold pieces is a small price to pay for your aid. Is there anything else you wished to ask of us?"

Tar Palantir
2010-03-16, 09:38 PM
Harig speaks up, "Beggin' your pardon, Speaker, but we could pay for our stay with one goblin's pocket change. It's not a matter of greed, this is our job. We do the job, we get paid. Otherwise, we can't keep doin' the job, and there's no one around to take care of the next buncha bastards that rear their ugly heads, an' nobody wants that."

VinGoodman
2010-03-16, 10:24 PM
Eleniel sighs. "Captain Soranna, while what Harig says is true, we are not always so...mercernary in nature, either. If you would allow us a chance to talk things over, perhaps I can persuade them of the need for this deed, whatever the reward may be."

Before Arceneaux and Harig speaks up further, she gives them a glance indicating it may be best to table it for now, and discuss later. She hopes it was enough to settle things here while the relation is still amicable.

Turning back to Captain Soranna and giving her the warmest smile she can muster, Eleniel continued, "Could you point us to the Old Bridge Inn? It has been a long day, and I think food and rest could do everyone some good tonight."

JohnnyCancer
2010-03-17, 10:43 AM
"With respect to all assembled, I would like to resolve this now. Just as I would not reasonably expect the publican to board us and our steeds, or the smith to arm my comrades, and the grocer to feed us all for free, I wish to be compensated for the use of my time and skills which are obviously in demand. I am not unsympathetic to your plight, but I have my needs and desires to consider as well."

VinGoodman
2010-03-17, 11:10 AM
Eleniel silently curses having the whole group here. This is the worst negotiation sequence she has ever been part of! I should've just brought Cassius here...

Trying to salvage the situation before it turns ugly, she tries one last time. "I find this a worthy cause, and leave it to you to consider what the town can reasonably afford as reward for any services rendered. I do agree with my comrads this is not light duty, as you are well aware. I hear you have a rather talented smith here in town. Perhaps, if you could arrange to have some gear built for us to aid us in this and our future journeys..." She leaves the suggestion unfinished to see if Captain Soranna would respond readily or with hesitation, and watches carefully for any reaction from Captain Soranna.

JohnnyCancer
2010-03-17, 11:47 AM
Elenil's attempt to get the Town Speaker to volunteer the smith's services was just as unpalatable to him as the town's desire that he endanger himself on their behalf gratis. Indeed, why wouldn't the Captain and Speaker accept such a deal, it was no skin off their noses if the smith lost out. What was wrong with simple, honest transactions between two parties for services rendered: why must one try to wring something from another for free or attempt to gang up to take from another, uninvolved party? Arceneaux was incresingly finding it difficult to stay dispassionate, but having attended a school dominated by egomaniacal magisters, he was quite practiced at containing his wrath.

He simply crossed his arms and looked blankly at everyone.

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-17, 12:04 PM
Speaker Wiston sighs. "We can pay you as much as 500 gold each, if you drive off the hobgoblins."

JohnnyCancer
2010-03-17, 02:33 PM
"If my comrades find that agreeable, I consider it enough to retain my services for this project."

VinGoodman
2010-03-18, 10:03 PM
"That is more than generous of you. Thank you for tolerating my rather blunt comrads' behavior. We will endeavor to make it worth every copper of the reward you are offering."

"Perhaps we can salvage this evening yet from all this rather unpleasant and overly mercernary conversation. Would you two like to join us for a bit of dinner? With enough wining and dining, we may be able to get my friend here to agree to entertain us a bit. He is most talented, and have lifted our spirits many a dreary and weary night."

Eleniel turns to Cassius and smiles, hoping he catches her desire to lighten the mood of everyone involved here.

Ernir
2010-03-18, 10:27 PM
"Perhaps we can salvage this evening yet from all this rather unpleasant and overly mercernary conversation. Would you two like to join us for a bit of dinner? With enough wining and dining, we may be able to get my friend here to agree to entertain us a bit. He is most talented, and have lifted our spirits many a dreary and weary night."

"Oh, it would be my pleasure.":smallwink:

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-21, 12:07 AM
The Speaker says "I am afraid I have town business to attend to, and I will not be able to take up your offer. If you'll excuse me?" He inclines his head respectfully and walks out.
Captain Soranna sighs. "Unfortunately, I too have business to deal with. I assume you're planning to strike into the Witchwood - it's where most of the goblins have been coming from. If so, I advise you to seek out Jorr - he's a chap who's lived in this region for a long time, no one knows the woods better. His cabin is out of the way, but it could be worth the walk. If you take the Wtich Trail, go left at the first big trail crossing; Jorr's cabin is about seven miles in. Or, if you're on the Dawn Way, take a right on a trail about nine miles from the forest edge. Jorr's cabin is near the Blackwater."

VinGoodman
2010-03-21, 05:37 AM
"Have a good evening, then. Thank you for the tip. We will retire for the night, and pay Jorr a visit in the morning."

Eleniel heads to the inn to rest for the night. Before she turns in, she checks over the party for any injuries from the days activities, and offers to heal whoever may need it.

OOC
Eleniel is ready for the morning. I'll do the shopping over at the OOC thread, and I may make some tweaks to the spell list. Otherwise, I'm ready for the trip out and a visit to Jorr.

Ernir
2010-03-21, 09:01 AM
"Then to Jorr it is we are heading in the morning!"

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-24, 11:28 PM
The sun rises as our noble band of adventurers gather their purchases and set off into the Witchwood. After a couple hours travel, the party arrives at Jorr's cabin. The trail leads past a small cabin in a deep forest glade, overlooking a deep lake, with old gray cedar trees draped in moss rising out of the water. An old skiff is tied up on the shore nearby, and a little smoke curls from the fieldstone chimney. The cabin has a ramschackle front porch littered with fishing basket and skinning frames.

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-30, 08:57 PM
When the group is 60 feet away:

Eleniel:
You see three hounds lurking under the porch. They don't appear to have noticed you.

Harig, Cassius:
You see nothing beyond what I have described.

VinGoodman
2010-03-30, 09:08 PM
Eleniel pauses momentarily at the sight of the hounds. "Are either one of you good with dogs?" She gulps as her steps slow, but she attempts to muster up the courage to continue stepping forward. She keeps her eyes on the dogs and at the door, hoping to see Jorr before the dogs come after them. "I sure hope those are Jorr's dogs."

Ernir
2010-03-31, 10:33 AM
Eleniel pauses momentarily at the sight of the hounds. "Are either one of you good with dogs?" She gulps as her steps slow, but she attempts to muster up the courage to continue stepping forward. She keeps her eyes on the dogs and at the door, hoping to see Jorr before the dogs come after them. "I sure hope those are Jorr's dogs."

"Dogs? Where? I hate dogs. No, I'm no good with them.", Cassius says, with a slight tremble in his voice.

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-02, 05:25 PM
As the party approaches, three big hunting dogs dart out from under the porch, baying loudly. They stop about 10 feet short of the party, growling and snapping ferociously, but not quite leaping to attack.

VinGoodman
2010-04-02, 06:34 PM
Eleniel steps back instinctively, but otherwise holds her ground. She calls out for Jorr, hoping desperately these are indeed his hounds. "Jorr? We are here at the request of Captain Soranna! May we have a word with you?"

Ernir
2010-04-03, 06:19 PM
"Ooooh boy. This brings back memories."

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-03, 08:13 PM
The shutter of the cabin's window opens, and the head of a grizzled old woodsman peers out. "Back, boys", he calls out to the hounds, who slowly retreat back towards the cabin. Jorr then fixates upon the motley crew of visitors. "Who are you, and what do you or Soranna want with me?"

DM note:

Stay out, party.

2 manticores as random encounter.

VinGoodman
2010-04-03, 08:51 PM
"Master Jorr. We are here in response to the hobgoblin problem. We would like to enter the Witchwood based on a lead Captain Soranna provided, and she said no one knows these woods better than you." Eeniel studies Jorr carefully as she explains their purpose, looking for any signs that may betray his view of the hobgoblins in the area.

OOC In case you need a roll.
Diplomacy [roll0]

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-06, 10:04 PM
Jorr scowls at mention of the goblins. "Bah! Goblins! Can't stand them! Wood's rotten with them right now. I'm your man; where d'ya need guidance to?"

Ernir
2010-04-07, 05:20 PM
"It is to the goblin encampment that we should go, if we are to rid the forest of this menace."

"My name is Cassius Tiko, by the way. You may have heard of me."

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-07, 07:31 PM
Jorr turns his baleful gaze to Cassius. "Can't say I have, laddie. As for their encampment, seems we got a big war party coming down from their homes in the Wyrmsmokes, probably down the Dawn Way and across Skull Gorge. The raiders that're here now are probably holed up in Vraath Keep, a few miles up the main road."

VinGoodman
2010-04-07, 09:13 PM
"We could use a guide to the Keep. Would you like to join us for a little excursion? If we're lucky, by the time we're done with our little excursion to the Keep and back, there'll be noticeably less goblins roaming about." As the conversation drifts to the keep and the route to the keep, Eleniel realizes she has made a minor social blunder! "I can't believe how rude I was! I am Eleniel Tawariell. I apologize for not introducing myself earlier."

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-09, 12:26 AM
Jorr smiles at Eleniel. "It's fine, lass, I don't stand much on ceremony. I'll guide you wherever you want in the Witchwood, but I want 10 gold a day - 20 if it's especially dangerous, which it's likely to be."

VinGoodman
2010-04-09, 01:08 AM
Eleniel smiles. Simple and direct. Jorr will be nice to have around. She reaches into her belt pouch and counts out sixty coins. "Sixty in gold, as retainer for three days service. You'll get paid the extra if the exploration lasts longer. The money is yours to keep if we resolve the goblin issue in less than the retained time."

Of course, given the problems the town's seen, I doubt it'll go so quickly...

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-09, 01:10 AM
Jorr strolls out to accept the gold. "Thank you very much, Miss. Let me gather a few belongings, then we can get on the road - we should be able to reach Vraath Keep today."

VinGoodman
2010-04-09, 02:18 AM
"Excellent. We are ready when you are." Eleniel stays outside while Jorr gathers his belongings. She eyes the dogs as she waits, wondering if they'll be coming along for the journey or staying behind to guard the house.

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-09, 04:16 AM
After a moment, Jorr emerges from the cabin. He crouches for a moment by his dogs, telling them to stay put, then stands and joins the party. "Let's get moving, we're burning daylight."

VinGoodman
2010-04-09, 07:53 AM
Eleniel takes a moment to glance at Jorr's gear, especially the weapons he carries with him. "Lead the way, and we shall follow. With Lydia's blessing, we may prove to be the goblin's doom this day."

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-09, 10:59 PM
After about an hour of walking through the Witchwood, the party comes upon a section of marsh, where a wide expanse of water has flooded the small, low-lying woodland valley. Trees still protrude from the calm, dark waters here and there, but many large reaches seem to be little more than open pools of algae-choked water. The trill of frogs and the whine of insects fills the air. The forest road leats right down to the edge of the flooded section, up to a rickety-looking causeway made of thick planks of wood lashed together with mossy rope. The wooden causeway runs for several hundred feet through the boggy patch, only a foot or so above the water.

As the group nears the midpoint of the causeway, you can make out the wreckage of a wagon, lying on its side and half-sunk in the flooded forest, about thirty feet from the causeway.

VinGoodman
2010-04-09, 11:12 PM
As the party continues down the causeway, Eleniel spies the wagon and sighs. "Jorr, how long do you reckon that wagon's been there? Do you think that's the result of a recent attack?" Her pace does not slow, however. She is eager to go through the marsh and get to where the ground is firm again.

Ernir
2010-04-10, 10:00 AM
(Oh, gods. It's going to take my skin ages to recover from this moisture.)

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-13, 12:05 AM
Map: http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/Ithilanor/Causeway-start.png

Harig:

You see nothing out of the ordinary.

Cassius:
You see a single reptilian head and neck poking out of the water, coiled in the moss, in square A12.

Eleniel:
You see a single reptilian head and neck poking out of the water, coiled in the moss, in square A12.

OOC:
Position yourselves in I16-J18. Jorr will be taking the lead in I16, and Arcaneaux will be in the middle of the column at J17.
Also, roll initiative.

VinGoodman
2010-04-13, 12:16 AM
"I don't think we're alone here," Eleniel warns the group as she keeps her focus to the west. Her golden hair, moist from the humid hair, clings to her face, and she pushes it back to get a better view. That's not a goblin. It's...reptilian.

OOC I assume Cassius and his horse needs I17-I18. So, Eleniel will be at J18.

Ernir
2010-04-13, 01:12 PM
"Kobold? Lizardman? Alligator?"

I17-I18 it is, I guess.

My horse, my horse is amazing...

Tar Palantir
2010-04-13, 03:59 PM
Harig says, in a low voice, "I don't see it. Where is the beasty?" He checks to see that his weapons are readied, but otherwise makes no sudden moves.

Harig'll take J16.

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-13, 11:08 PM
Suddenly, the reptilian head begins to move, and a massive six-headed reptilian beast begins to emerge from the water, swimming towards the causeway. Jorr reacts to the movement, stepping to the side out of Cassius's way, and trains his bow at the creature. Cassius and Eleniel can take action in response, while Arcaneaux and Harig are caught flat-footed.

New map:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/Ithilanor/rhod/Causeway-surprise.png

VinGoodman
2010-04-13, 11:19 PM
Eleniel steps behind the horse to the bank just off the walkway, pulling out her bow and firing as she moves.

OOC Quickdraw bow while moving to H19, assuming that's solid ground.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

If attack=27
Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

VinGoodman
2010-04-14, 10:26 AM
Recognition dawns on Eleniel, and she gasps in astonishment. Two, three, five, six, she mutters to herself as she quickly tallies the heads. "It's a six headed hydra! Everyone be careful."

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-16, 12:45 AM
Arcaneaux clearly recognizes the creature as well, calmy stating "Indeed it is, Eleniel. Tough to chop off all their heads, since they can grow new ones quickly, but they also heal fast enough to make killing the body...difficult."
Arcaneaux then touches Harig, delivering a spell of strength and might. He cautiously moves around Jorr and Harig, advancing up the causeway.

Jorr, hearing Arcaneaux's and Eleniel's words, keeps his bow trained on the hydra's head, muttering "Sounds like shooting the thing's heads won't be of much use, and I can't get a shot off at the body while it's hiding in the water. Lure it out, and I can shoot the cursed monster with more arrows then you can count."

Ernir
2010-04-16, 05:04 AM
Arcaneaux clearly recognizes the creature as well, calmy stating "Indeed it is, Eleniel. Tough to chop off all their heads, since they can grow new ones quickly, but they also heal fast enough to make killing the body...difficult."

"Also, it bites. :smalleek:"

Cassius begins his song, infusing it with magic. +3d6 cold damage for everyone.

Edit: Also, he takes out a pair of daggers.

VinGoodman
2010-04-16, 05:15 AM
Eleniel takes a moment to clutch the holy symbol as she calls to Lydia for guidance, and continues moving along the shore.

OOC Casts Blessed Aim: Party gets +2 morale bonus to ranged attack. So, that's +2 to ranged attack for Jorr, and the rest of the party gets +3 to ranged attacks, +1 to melee attacks and +1 to weapon damage (Prayer is luck bonus, so they stack), saving throw and skill checks. Then moves along the dry land to D20 or somewhere close to that.

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-20, 06:41 PM
The hydra continues swimming towards the causeway, heads peering out of the water to examine the party.

OOC:
Hydra moves to G7-I9

Tar Palantir
2010-04-20, 07:30 PM
Harig waits for the hydra to make its move, then darts around the woodsman and the wizard, scolding them as he passes, "Arcaneaux, keep yer distance and blast the beastie from afar. Jorr, if ya aren'y gonna help, at least stay outta my way."

VinGoodman
2010-04-20, 08:17 PM
Eleniel continues her move along the dry land, and finds her footing as she lets fly an arrow.

OOC She completes her move (only spell last time, because she only gets the standard action during the surprise round). She moves to D20 or somewhere thereabouts, and fires a shot at the beast hoping to strike it just above the water surface (close to the body) to get its attention.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] + [roll2]

Ernir
2010-04-20, 08:36 PM
Cassius lets the knives he readied earlier fly.

OOC:
Quoting from the OOC thread:

To-hit 1: 12
Damage 1: 2
Cold 1: 7

To-hit 2: 17
Damage 2: 3
Cold 2: 6

Followed by a 5' step back. (Back being AWAY from the flippin' Hydra.)