PDA

View Full Version : Naming Assistance

Fraggranark
2010-02-21, 11:30 PM
Okay, basically I'm making an NPC organisation for the Eberron campaign a friend is running. The campaign differs from most Eberron campaigns in that its the sum total of all the screwing up we've done to Eberron in past campaigns, which range from unleashing the Lady of Plagues to opening a gateway to the Plane of Battle and such things.

Thats not important though, whats important is that I've made whats basically an anti-religious terrorist organisation which I need a name for. To compress it, they believe that gods and religious and such like are the cause of the most of the world's suffering. Some factions just outright don't believe in gods, some think they're useless and uncaring. Basically they hate anything divine related, while they love psionics, seeing it as a power born from the minds of mortal and the ultimate expression of mortal power. They have nothing against arcane magic, though. They are lead by Teliekl, an Ardent (Complete Psionics) who will be either Kalashtar, human or Half-Elf.

The working name is "The Truth at Dawn" but I have another group I want to use it for. So if any of you can think of a cool, fitting name, please help me by suggesting it.

Note this is all 3.5 Eberron.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-21, 11:35 PM
"the Ur priests" :smalltongue:

Dr.Gunsforhands
2010-02-22, 12:40 AM
"the Ur priests":smalltongue:

Or maybe, "The Ethergaunts," heh.

More seriously, though, it rather depends on how militaristic they tend to get. Judging by the Kalashtar and Half-elf race choices for the leader, I'm guessing that he's more the diplomatic, political sort, yeah? So he'll probably want to name it something nice and productive-sounding rather than something scary. We're looking to build mortals up to deific status rather than the other way around. "Faith in Mankind," or some such.

Alternately, he might end up with something simple and easily recognizable, like, "The Atheists." The Atheism can be interpreted either as a core belief in itself or as something that they wish to bring about: an, 'atheistic,' world, one in which gods no longer exist.

Fraggranark
2010-02-22, 12:54 AM
Well, the reason Kalashtar and Half-Elf are there are for the opposite. You'd expect them to be diplomatic. Teliekl most directs the organisation as a whole, while his three lieutenants lead directally. He'll act destructive and violent one moment, diplomatic the next. The three main factions within the group, each lead by one the captains, wants to do it slightly different. One prefers direct, destructive action such as killing priests and has destroyed more than a few temples and churches. Another prefers using subtle means to discredit the various religious orders, such as psionically causing a priest to do something horrible or just bad. The last....I can't decide.

But they are meant to be enemies of the PCs if possible, think of them as like the Children of the Winter, very aggressive when it comes to their goals. I'm trying for a name as distinctive as "Emerald Claw" and "Dark Lanterns". Something ominous!

Dr.Gunsforhands
2010-02-22, 01:16 AM
Ah. Well, Mr. Direct Approach would probably suggest something like, "The Churchburners," but the others would probably not approve since it sounds too much like, "Hey, Paladins! Arrest Us for Destruction of Property Please."

How about, "The Golden Ashes?" It's what's left over after the Silver Flame goes out, heh.

You could just make up something as sinister-sounding as possible and come up with a justification later. "The Cloud of Vultures?" "The Hand of Despair?" "The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness?"

Colmarr
2010-02-22, 01:19 AM
The Mind Unchained; or

End of Divinity (I like this one)

Dr.Gunsforhands
2010-02-22, 01:29 AM
Actually, I do know a pretty catchy one that you can recycle. "The Legion of the Eclipse." It was the, "Evil League of Evil," of my forum-running days.

I like the, "Mind Unchained," angle, too. The only problem is that it invites connections with that other psionic organization. You know, the one that took over what used to be the human lands and replaced it with those creepy pylons. Eek.

The_Snark
2010-02-22, 01:43 AM
I kind of like Chapel Poisonous. I'm not sure what it means, but it's got the right feeling, and I can think of a couple possibilities just off the top of my head; you can always let your players speculate about what it means and pick your favorite theory.

And yeah, I can't help but wonder if these guys are going to be disappointed when they realize how heavily psionics are associated with Dal Quor, or if they already know.

Cisturn
2010-02-22, 02:20 AM
how about "Terra Videmus" which means 'the land we have seen' which i think has a cool non-divinity feel , "Terra Cognito", which is "the land i know" if you don't like dog latin you could go with something like "Limit Break", or 'The Order of Unlocking Potential"

Martin Greywolf
2010-02-22, 02:39 AM
Heralds of Ragnarok? Since ragnarok means literally "twillight of the gods", it fits more than it seems. Alternatively, Heralds of the Twillight. And yes, that is where the last mission from Warcraft III got its name.

Light Eternal or Illuminati (or its translation, "Enlightened ones") fits too, after all, enlightenment doesn`t have to come from a god...

Also, The Utgrads, since Utgard is a land of giants (who will kill gods in ragnarok), it fits too.

Fraggranark
2010-02-22, 05:39 AM
Thanks for all these great suggestions. I particularly like The Mind Unchained and Legion of the Eclipse, so putting them together...The Eclipsing Mind? I also like Terra Videmus for the feel it gives. I might make use of some of these for the factions.

Note its not my campaign, but a friend's who I have played in. I'm just the one he shares his ideas and stuff with, meaning I have to make sure not to meta-game. One of the perks is we managed to work out how my first Eberron character, a human Wilder managed to go from a Chaotic Neutral mercenary to an admiral of Adar with a stolen Airship refitted to use Psionics, married to a Blue Dragon for the sole reason of producing a Half-Dragon who is destined to rule all of Sarlona. It was a fun progression.

Back on topic, they have relatively little to do with Sarlona, with Teliekl focusing on one continent at a time. Among other things, he's looking for ways to permanently prevent a cleric from using divine magic. Golden Ashes seems good too.

Little more background I forgot which might be interesting, the Lady of Plagues, with the assistance of House Tarkanan has unleashing a plague of disease zombies (think Left 4 Dead without the speed and more plague-y) which has destroyed Sharn, the portal (also the result of another of our parties) to the plane of Battle has opened near Zilargo. With all this the war has started again. Oh, and the Emerald Claw has started a civil war in Karrnath. So yeah, Khorvaire is going to hell leaving all these chances for people like Teliekl.

JaronK
2010-02-22, 05:42 AM
I like "The Unbound" as it implies being free of the chains of what they hate without being perfectly clear about what it is, in addition to the general unleashing of potential vibe. No sense picking fights with your name alone before you're ready to strike, after all.

JaronK

Fraggranark
2010-02-22, 05:47 AM
"The Unbound"..... Jesus on a jet-ski, I love IT! So obvious, yet it fits my idea perfectly! Thank you!

I'll use Eclipsing Mind for the sneaky, mind-raping faction. And the others will also be of great use. But keep the names rolling in, if you would. The more organisations ending the world, the better!