PDA

View Full Version : Building a character sheet.

Shinizak
2010-02-22, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure where something like this goes, so I'll put it here.

So I'm in the beginning stages of creating a new system (along with a few of my friends) and the first thing I want to do is collect my resources. My concern was how we were going to draw up a character sheet, the general thought was to use photo shop, but that seems more trouble then it's worth. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use to write up a character sheet?

drengnikrafe
2010-02-22, 12:35 AM
I generally use excel. Then again, my character sheets are really simple.

SexyPlantLover
2010-02-22, 01:25 AM
I made my own (3 page) 3.5 sheet in photoshop, after not finding quite the right setup elsewhere. yeah, it was difficult and time consuming to create, but as a jpg, it prints out nice and easy.

i never liked excel sheets as much afterwards either

OverdrivePrime
2010-02-22, 10:18 AM
If you have access to Illustrator or another vector program, you can very cleanly lay out character sheets in a form that will be easy to turn into an editable PDF file. In addition to being editable (and you can write linked formulas), a vector-based PDF will yeild a much smaller file size than one based on a jpeg or .png image.

bosssmiley
2010-02-22, 10:23 AM
I generally use excel. Then again, my character sheets are really simple.

I understand you can make some pretty tasty-looking charsheets (http://www.lordkilgore.com/second-edition-character-sheet) in Excel.

That said, I use nested tables in Word (tables inside cells), because I'm willful and like to make things difficult for myself. :smallamused:

dspeyer
2010-02-22, 10:42 AM
I'd nominate HTML. Use tables to keep it neat and organized, and do the javascript auto-calculate thing from the beginning. It should print nicely too.

valadil
2010-02-22, 11:01 AM
If you have access to Illustrator or another vector program, you can very cleanly lay out character sheets in a form that will be easy to turn into an editable PDF file. In addition to being editable (and you can write linked formulas), a vector-based PDF will yeild a much smaller file size than one based on a jpeg or .png image.

Inkscape is a free and capable vector art program. I've done 2 sheets with it and have no plans to switch.

Also, if you wanted to do an interactive sheet that automatically tallies scores for you, you can embed javascript in an svg file from inkscape. This might be more effort than is worthwhile though.

Masaioh
2010-02-22, 11:11 AM
Microsoft Word works too.

Emmerask
2010-02-22, 11:16 AM
I'd nominate HTML. Use tables to keep it neat and organized, and do the javascript auto-calculate thing from the beginning. It should print nicely too.

I second html

Weimann
2010-02-22, 11:18 AM
I usually just write it all up in my notebook. Entirely customizable, and you don't run out of space.