PDA

View Full Version : The future of Redcloak, Durkon, and the OotS (Rich no read)

JonestheSpy
2010-02-22, 12:55 AM
So this idea has been rattling around in my head and I think at this point the only way to stop it banging is to share it. Bear in mind that my success rate for webcomic plot prediction is about zero, but here it is anyway. Spoilers and all that.

We know that Durkon will never return to his homelands alive, but we also know that his return will presage horrible doom and destruction. Given that Durkon believes that coming home as a corpse counts as a real homecoming and the general trickiness of prophecies, it seems likely that war or some equivalent disaster will occur in the dwarven lands when Durkon is buried beside his ancestors.

Given that the fifth gate is in the dwarven lands and that storytelling conventions point insistently to the final showdown being over the last gate possible, not the second to last as Roy is hoping, signs point to said disaster taking the form of Xykon and Team Evil coming to call.

Meanwhile, Redcloak is showing more and more rebellion and dissatisfaction with Xykon. He wants to help his people, and has no interest in evil for evil's sake. And we now see that the goblins now have a serious shot at joining the civilized world as equals WITHOUT having to risk destroying the world and all that. At the same time, we have serious hints that Xykon is equally tired of Redcloak and Tsukiko is being groomed as Redcloak's replacement.

Lastly, the idea of a high level adventuring party trying to make it without a cleric is, if not inconceivable, very unlikely in this situation. Especially since their main enemy is undead. So somebody is going to have to step into Durkon's place. A new character in such a major role at that late stage of the story is unlikely. And there's only one other high enough level cleric we know to fill that role.

Thoughts?

Acero
2010-02-22, 09:16 AM
Uhh. A lot of people have said this, including myself. You're putting two and two together. Congratulations, you just made four.

btw, which team are you talking about with no healer?

ThePhantasm
2010-02-22, 11:11 AM
Whoa, deja vu. Good thinking, but I think all of these theories have been discussed before elsewhere.

Asta Kask
2010-02-22, 11:21 AM
Remember, if Durkon dies they have no one to resurrect him. Traveling to the dwarven homelands to find a cleric may seem like a logical thing to do.

Morty
2010-02-22, 11:21 AM
Redcloak would have to undergo a massive change of heart in order for that to happen - namely, he'd have to accept travelling with three humans - but it's not technically impossible.

Asta Kask
2010-02-22, 11:23 AM
Redcloak will also have to change god. The Dark One is the guy behind the Plan, remember?

Draconi Redfir
2010-02-22, 11:57 AM
and i somewhat dbout that the dark god offers the "healing" domain.

would be cool to see reddy in the order though.

TheBlackShadow
2010-02-22, 12:03 PM
Me like.

Could it possibly be that Redcloak only travels with the Order (and the Order only let him) out of necessity, and it is their experience together that convinces RC that not all Humans (and Elves, and possibly Dwarves - if they're going to the Dwarvern homeland they'll meet Dwarves other than Durkon) are ****heads, thus causing his change of heart, which in turn convinces Team Good that the Goblins aren't all ****heads either, and so on and so forth.

If RC doesn't like Halflings either though, that particular racial prejudice will probably stay the same. :smallamused:

JonestheSpy
2010-02-22, 01:29 PM
Uhh. A lot of people have said this, including myself. You're putting two and two together. Congratulations, you just made four.

btw, which team are you talking about with no healer?

Sorry, missed those threads, - no need to be quite so snarky, eh?

And the team without a healer would be the OotS minus Durkon.

Other points:

Yes, Redcloak would have to have a major change of heart, I think that's what we've been slowly witnessing. Same goes for the Dark One - "Don't screw this up" could also be interpreted along the lines of "Don't destroy the world now that my people have this nice new stable nation". And I think both Redcloak and his god wouldn't have that hard a time coming to the conclusion that a world ruled by Xykon would probably be just as bad for the new goblin nation as it would for everybody else.

And wacthing Roy mediate between Redcloak and the Azurites and others would just be oh so fun.

T-O-E
2010-02-22, 01:43 PM
And there's only one other high enough level cleric we know to fill that role.

Hilgya?
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Yuki Akuma
2010-02-22, 01:46 PM

...So? Clerics can cast healing spells whatever their alignment or domains.

Lecan
2010-02-22, 01:52 PM
Same goes for the Dark One - "Don't screw this up" could also be interpreted along the lines of "Don't destroy the world now that my people have this nice new stable nation". And I think both Redcloak and his god wouldn't have that hard a time coming to the conclusion that a world ruled by Xykon would probably be just as bad for the new goblin nation as it would for everybody else.

I really don't think the Dark One is putting too much weight on Gobbotopia. He mentioned The Plan, not the city. No, he cares about power first. He isn't going to pass up the chance to have the other gods under his thumb.

In my opinion, "Don't screw this up" meant 'don't sacrifice The Plan for any other end'.

Lecan
2010-02-22, 01:54 PM

would be cool to see reddy in the order though.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0451.html

Draconi Redfir
2010-02-22, 02:39 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0451.html

*shrougs* it could have been an inflict critical wounds, though that might only count for undead.

sorry, im still new with D&D :P

JonestheSpy
2010-02-22, 03:10 PM
I really don't think the Dark One is putting too much weight on Gobbotopia. He mentioned The Plan, not the city. No, he cares about power first. He isn't going to pass up the chance to have the other gods under his thumb.

In my opinion, "Don't screw this up" meant 'don't sacrifice The Plan for any other end'.

Well, that's one interpretation. The rest of Jirix's chat with the Dark One indicates that said deity is pretty clearly interested in the fate of Gobbotopia, not in a simple "My followers will crush my enemies!" sort of way.

Asta Kask
2010-02-22, 03:35 PM
All clerics can cast Cure spells, but Evil clerics (and some Neutral) have to have them prepared. Good clerics (and some Neutral) can convert any prepared spell to a cure spell (except for Domain spells).

Zxo
2010-02-22, 08:19 PM
I'd love to see RC in OoTS for one main reason... This would make for hilarious personality clashes, with RC's sarcasm. I miss this kind of humor, there was a lot of it in older episodes, Belkar and V, Roy and Elan... all of this has been fully explored, though, and the only way to get back to it is to add some fresh blood. Replace Belkar with someone new (or someone we met already), and Durkon.

I admit I have no idea how Redcloak joining OoTS would happen...

The Extinguisher
2010-02-22, 08:45 PM
This seems like a terrible idea.

"Yeah, you invaded the nation of our allies, oppressed and enslaved them. And you've sent thousands of your loyal followers to their deaths because you didn't like them. Also there's the whole threatening the world with a god-killing abomination. But sure, we'll accept you on the team because you've had a change of heart"

Also, it would completely invalidate every single piece of character development he's gone to.

tl;dr
No.

Beowulf DW
2010-02-22, 08:46 PM
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

If Xykon does something really bad to the goblin people, if he finally pushes Redcloak too far, or if Redcloak and Xykon finally reach a point at which their usefulness to each other ends, then they're likely to come to blows.

Redcloak can't take Xykon alone, but he knows more than anyone else does about Xykon, which means that if he allied with OotS, they might be able to destroy Xykon.