PDA

View Full Version : Some spell questions

Al3x4nd3r
2010-02-22, 04:43 AM
Hi!
Just some questions for the more experienced players.
This post might seem really long, but the truth is that I love to keep my text in order and you won't find walls of text, but just quick little sections.

I'm playing my first wizard and I multiclassed it with a spellthief.
I just leveled up and I'm level 6 now, ready to take Master Spellthief (Complete Scoundrel feat).

Before you read my questions, know that I can use every 3.5 manual.

Question 1
I was thinking about one thing: is it better to have an extended mage armor or an actual, physical armor?

I mean, I was thinking about buying a mithral chain shirt +1.
I'll examine pro and cons to me:

Mage Armor
Pros
+4 AC
No penalties
It's a force field, so it helps evade ethereal attacks
Makes me save 2250GP I would spend on an armor

Cons
Occupies a level two slot
Can be dispelled

Mithral Chain Shirt +1
Pros
+5 AC
No penalties (Mithral cancels armor check penalty, Master Spellthief the arcane spell failure chance)
Makes me save a level two slot
Can't be dispelled, it's always on

Cons
Doesn't stop ethereal attacks
It's not really cheap
It's not really wizardish :p

Can't think of anything else, and I can't really decide.
Any help?

Question 2
What is a good set of spells that I can use for sneak attacking?

Question 3
What are spells that are very good to be extended? I mean those you cast when you wake up because they are usefull through all day, mage armor being one of them I guess.

Question 4
I run out of spells and I don't have any reserve feats (will take one at level 9): which weapon should I have ready so I can attack my enemies?
My group already has a fighter, a monk and a bard, so I shouldn't really be in the first line, but I should try to steal spells by sneak attacking.

Question 5
I've got 5000GP (7000GP if I choose not to buy the armor and use Mage Armor instead)...I only have a belt of healing equipped, what else should I take?
Utility items suggestions included.

Thanks for your time and your help, I hope you made it so far :)
I might add other questions later, as they come up in my mind.

PS: Sorry for my english, I know it's not perfect but I do my best ^^

BooNL
2010-02-22, 05:12 AM
Heya,
Let's see if I can answer those questions.

Question 1
I was thinking about one thing: is it better to have an extended mage armor or an actual, physical armor?

This really depends on whether or not you have the cash to spare. Ethereal attacks should be rare enough, unless your DM has you fighting ghosts constantly.
Whether or not the armor is 'wizardly', you can always wear a robe over it so people don't notice it.

Question 2

Any ranged touch attack gives sneak attack. That said, a couple of good ones are Ray of Frost and (Lesser) Orbs of X.

Question 3
What are spells that are very good to be extended? I mean those you cast when you wake up because they are usefull through all day, mage armor being one of them I guess.

Something like Resist Elements might be alright. Though at low levels, there's not a lot of good spells.

Question 4
I run out of spells and I don't have any reserve feats (will take one at level 9): which weapon should I have ready so I can attack my enemies?
My group already has a fighter, a monk and a bard, so I shouldn't really be in the first line, but I should try to steal spells by sneak attacking.

Spellthief gives bow proficiency right? If not, just use a crossbow.

Question 5
I've got 5000GP (7000GP if I choose not to buy the armor and use Mage Armor instead)...I only have a belt of healing equipped, what else should I take?

Cloak of Protection, Headband of Intellect, (lesser) wands of utility spells, anything to up the save DC of your spells.

Sliver
2010-02-22, 07:37 AM
Not looking like a wizard is a good thing. Looking like a glass cannon, not that much. If enemies think you are some kind of rogue they won't attempt to take you down that quickly as opposed to them seeing a wizard. Did that trick against my party lately (switched the clothes, rogue wearing robes and wizard wearing light armor) and it worked like a charm. :smalltongue:

Al3x4nd3r
2010-02-25, 03:25 AM
Not looking like a wizard is a good thing. Looking like a glass cannon, not that much. If enemies think you are some kind of rogue they won't attempt to take you down that quickly as opposed to them seeing a wizard. Did that trick against my party lately (switched the clothes, rogue wearing robes and wizard wearing light armor) and it worked like a charm. :smalltongue:

Lol, never thought of that :smallbiggrin:

And BooNL, thanks for your aid!

...even if I hate crossbows with all my heart. But I guess I have little choice on that.

JeminiZero
2010-02-25, 04:22 AM
Question 1

Do you have some way of ignoring the ASF on the chainshirt? Master Spellthief only allows you to ignore ASF on spells you steal, those that you cast from your own wizard pool are still subject to ASF.

If you are going to cast mage armor, it is usually better to cast it twice per day on 2x level 1 slots. Your level 2 slots are better spent on offensive/debuff spells, like web and glitterdust. This way, you also have a backup casting should your first casting get dispelled earlier in the day.

Also consider wearing a mithril heavy shield. It has no ASF and no ACP, so you acquire no penalty for holding it even if you are not proficient.

Question 2

Anything with an attack roll works. The lesser and normal orb series work well enough. You might also want to pick up spells that let you make sneak attacks more often. Grease can leave your enemy flatfooted if he doesn't have enough ranks in balance. Glitterdust can blind them and do the same thing. Legion of Sentinels can help you set up flank. And of course improved invisiblity.

Question 3

Generally you only want to extend spells, if something prevents you from casting it twice on a lower level slot. As mentioned above, Mage Armor can be cast 2x per day, rather than 1x extended. Because it lasts long enough to be cast outside of combat, at your own leisure. Certain short duration combat spells could be extended, if you expect combat to last long enough, that one casting won't last the whole way through (e.g. haste). Simply put, you don't want to stop raining down arcane dstruction to recast it, should it run out halfway through a fight (also known as the action economy).

Rope Trick is another example of a spell that should be extended. Because you don't want to wake up in the middle of the night to recast it.

Question 4

Short answer: Whatever you are proficient in.

Question 5

A few of my personal favorites for casters:
-More spells: theres usually a copying fee.
-Handy Haversack: Because you have a lot of gear, and very little strength
-Eternal Wand of Endure elements: When you don't want to worry about the weather
-Wand of True Casting: When you need to punch through SR for whatever reason
-Ring of Sustenanace/Everlasting Rations: So you don't starve to death in the dungeon
-Anklets of Translocation: Teleport out of grapples, force cages and more.

Gaiyamato
2010-02-25, 04:29 AM
Elves gain longbow and shortbow proficiency. Some other races give those as bonus proficiencies as well. Stand back with a Rapier, a long bow and your Mithral chain shirt and they may think your either the party ranger or at least a rogue (shortbow would be more rogueish).
Use spells like True strike etc. and focus your magic on buffing your own attacks or those of other party members.
Get Craft Magic Arms and Armour later on and make some funky magic bows even.

Should work a treat. :)

Sliver
2010-02-25, 04:37 AM
A +1 Twilight (BoED, +1 enchantment) mithril chain shirt has no arcane spell failure..

Al3x4nd3r
2010-03-02, 11:35 PM
Thanks for all of your replies, everyone. I got a lot of good ideas from this thread.

But just to say, JeminiZero, in reply to this:

Do you have some way of ignoring the ASF on the chainshirt? Master Spellthief only allows you to ignore ASF on spells you steal, those that you cast from your own wizard pool are still subject to ASF.

I'll quote a bit from Master Spellthief's description:

[CUT]
In addition, you do not incur a chance of arcane spell
failure for arcane spells cast or stolen from other classes,
but only if you are wearing light armor.
[CUT]

It talks about spells cast or stolen, so I believe it benefits both :smallwink: