PDA

View Full Version : what is the OOTS bookmark address?

griffonwing
2010-02-22, 10:25 AM
I remember that OOTS used to have the new comics on something like /comics/ootslatest.php or something similar. Is there one anymore? It seems I can only bookmark a specific page, not a page that auto updates.

Nimrod's Son
2010-02-22, 10:29 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootslatest.html

griffonwing
2010-02-22, 10:44 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootslatest.html

DOH! I tried that, too. Maybe I had typed in "/comic/" instead of "/comics/".

Dont I feel smart right now...

Thanks! :)

Ancalagon
2010-02-22, 10:55 AM
You can also subscribe to the RSS-feed... it updates with some delay but it will inform you automatically about new comics (and provide a clickable link).

Ron Miel
2010-02-22, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure how to use a RSS feed. I have subscribed to the feed for OOTS, and a few other things, but I have to mouseover the link to show available pages. It doesn't tell me there's a new page unless I actually look. How do I get it to inform me automatically?

Ancalagon
2010-02-22, 01:55 PM
You need an RSS-reader, it's a program on your computer that collects all feeds you subscribed to. I bet there's some Plugin for Firefox that handles them in a very nice way. Opera has it built-in.

No idea on IE.

There are probably also other tools that handle RSS-feeds (as widgets or however small, nice tools are called these days). Just google it, it's meant to be easy. :)

Firemage
2010-02-22, 02:26 PM
Firefox can use RSS feeds as dynamic bookmarks. You don't need any plugin for that. Just click on the oots feed in the menu and a page should apear, where you can create a bookmark.
When you click on a dynamic bookmark a list with the headlines of the latest comics apears and it even shows you, if you already clicked on them. It may be a bit slow, but you don't have to visit the site, if you want to know, if there's a new comic up.

Vemynal
2010-02-22, 03:02 PM
personally i find that when the site has busy traffic i can access it easier by going to comics that hav long been out so I just bookmarked my favorite one. i mean it aint that much of a stretch to click the new one under comics

Ron Miel
2010-02-22, 03:23 PM
Firefox can use RSS feeds as dynamic bookmarks. You don't need any plugin for that. Just click on the oots feed in the menu and a page should apear, where you can create a bookmark.
When you click on a dynamic bookmark a list with the headlines of the latest comics apears and it even shows you, if you already clicked on them. It may be a bit slow, but you don't have to visit the site, if you want to know, if there's a new comic up.

Yeah, that's what I do already. But I have to click on the bookmark to see the list. It doesn't "inform me automatically" as Ancalagon said. At least, I don't know how to get it to do so.

I'm using Firefox, btw.