PDA

View Full Version : Vs Theory on Belkar's Brain and Mr. Scruffy

Drolyt
2010-02-22, 11:38 AM
Okay, I imagine this must have been mentioned some time in the past but I don't know where. Vs theory was that Belkar's "brain" only has two modes for viewing another person: Hate and Lust. However, Belkar does care for Mr. Scruffy. Does this mean that Belkar lusts for that cat, cause that's just wrong.

Aerodynamik
2010-02-22, 11:42 AM
I would say that as part of Belkar's character development, he has developed a new group to classify people as: Allies.

Also, I don't think we were really meant to take V's theory on Belkar's brain seriously.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-22, 11:43 AM
I imagine Mr. Scruffy to be somewhat of a exception.
Since his ranger instincts say ''familiar'' possibly.
And because Mr. Scruffy is a ally in having evil fun and his previous master was pretty awesome.

Felyndiira
2010-02-22, 11:51 AM
Belkar has, previously, shown the following emotions towards others:

Shojo: Reverence and respect. A sense of like without lust.
Celia: Not quite hate. Seemingly mild annoyance at her pacifism, but nonetheless neutrality.
Buggy Lou: Comradeship as slave-trading partners.

Therefore, we can conclude that V's theory is quite wrong, and is intended only for purposes of humor.

Draconi Redfir
2010-02-22, 11:54 AM
well the password to the mark of justace was "evovle or die" right? perhaps the mark of justace triggered a small evolution in his brain, allowing him a third, or more empotional classificaitions. or possibly just altering the lust emotion into love.

its possible he lusts for Mr.scruffy not in a sexual way, but in a "i want him to stay alive" way... ya i dont quite get it myself XD

Drolyt
2010-02-22, 11:59 AM
Belkar has, previously, shown the following emotions towards others:

Shojo: Reverence and respect. A sense of like without lust.
Celia: Not quite hate. Seemingly mild annoyance at her pacifism, but nonetheless neutrality.
Buggy Lou: Comradeship as slave-trading partners.

Therefore, we can conclude that V's theory is quite wrong, and is intended only for purposes of humor.

Hmm, I agree with the Shojo part. I'm convinced he still hates the other two though. His brain must have evolved due to Shojo's awesomeness.

Conuly
2010-02-22, 12:04 PM
V doesn't know everything.

Besides, even if V had been correct, there's no reason to think that the Belkster couldn't have a tiny amount of personal growth before his revelation about FAKING personal growth.

ClockShock
2010-02-22, 12:12 PM
V was wrong. See "Roy has boobies" jokes and the rescuing of Elan from the bandit's camp. He just tends to the extremes more than others.

Drolyt
2010-02-22, 12:17 PM
V doesn't know everything.

Besides, even if V had been correct, there's no reason to think that the Belkster couldn't have a tiny amount of personal growth before his revelation about FAKING personal growth.

V was wrong. See "Roy has boobies" jokes and the rescuing of Elan from the bandit's camp. He just tends to the extremes more than others.

V IS NEVER WRONG! Seriously though, I attribute it to his character development.

DSCrankshaw
2010-02-22, 12:38 PM
I think Belkar's relationship with Elan disproved V's theory long before it was made. Sure, Belkar will kill Elan for XP if the situation warrants, but he seems, from here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0153.html), to actually like him.

Querzis
2010-02-22, 12:56 PM
V IS NEVER WRONG! Seriously though, I attribute it to his character development.

Except that Belkar was never like that even before V did this theory. I cant believe some people took it seriously. Belkar is a lot more extreme then most people but he showed he can respect or like people long before his fake character development.

The strip with V theory wasnt supposed to make us think Belkar is stupid, it was supposed to show us how stupid V can be. It showed how petty and arrogant he his and more importantly, how much he never really understand other people. When we say charisma is a mental stat, thats what it means, V probably has the lowest charisma in the Order by far. Hes just not able to understand social interaction at all. I mean look at the panel 4 in this strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0679.html

You're actually taking a theory from this guy seriously? Look if it concern logic, math or magic, V is automatically right. But if it concern social interaction then V is automatically wrong. Well to be fair he is getting better lately but it just prove V is the one who needed character development, not Belkar.

Drolyt
2010-02-22, 02:35 PM
Except that Belkar was never like that even before V did this theory. I cant believe some people took it seriously. Belkar is a lot more extreme then most people but he showed he can respect or like people long before his fake character development.

The strip with V theory wasnt supposed to make us think Belkar is stupid, it was supposed to show us how stupid V can be. It showed how petty and arrogant he his and more importantly, how much he never really understand other people. When we say charisma is a mental stat, thats what it means, V probably has the lowest charisma in the Order by far. Hes just not able to understand social interaction at all. I mean look at the panel 4 in this strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0679.html

You're actually taking a theory from this guy seriously? Look if it concern logic, math or magic, V is automatically right. But if it concern social interaction then V is automatically wrong. Well to be fair he is getting better lately but it just prove V is the one who needed character development, not Belkar.

You win a cookie. Seriously, I meant the first post as a joke but everyone responded to it seriously. Oh well.

fwiffo
2010-02-22, 02:57 PM
You win a cookie. Seriously, I meant the first post as a joke but everyone responded to it seriously. Oh well.

I say never attempt the whole "tongue in cheek" thingy on the dis here internets, 'cause there is no theory so inane and over the top that someone won't take it seriously.

That includes this particular theory. And yes, there are people out there who think that V possesses the insight into thinking process of other people. Silly wabbits.

Drolyt
2010-02-22, 03:13 PM
I say never attempt the whole "tongue in cheek" thingy on the dis here internets, 'cause there is no theory so inane and over the top that someone won't take it seriously.

That includes this particular theory. And yes, there are people out there who think that V possesses the insight into thinking process of other people. Silly wabbits.

V does have a purely scientific and rational insight into the working of other people's thought processes, but not an intuitive or empathic one. His analysis of Belkar was somewhat correct, if only because those are his two most common emotions, but obviously Belkar has other emotions.

derfenrirwolv
2010-02-22, 03:21 PM
If v's correct, then the crack pairings thread has some extra fuel for the fire.

Ron Miel
2010-02-22, 04:07 PM
I think that Belkar's proto-brain has a set of check boxes rather than radio buttons. And there are more categories than V knows.

..........[lust] [hate] [respect] [amusement]
Elan........[ ]....[ ]....[ ].........
Haley....... ....[ ].... .........[ ]
Shojo.......[ ]....[ ].... .........
Miko........ .... ....[ ].........[ ]
Durkon......[ ]....[ ]....[ ].........[ ]
Mr Scruffy..[ ]....[ ].... .........
etc.

veti
2010-02-22, 04:44 PM
V has high Int, but low Cha and Wis. I'm sure she's heard of "empathy", but I'm not sure she's ever experienced it. Except, possibly (very recently) with Blackwing - that's her character development.

Belkar initially found Shojo amusing because of how he treated his paladins: he neither lusted for Shojo, nor hated him. As has been pointed out, he neither hated nor lusted after Elan or Durkon, either. (Contempt is not the same as hatred.) Heck, he even seemed to quite like Gortok the Destroyer (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0132.html).

In short, V's theory was one hundred per cent solid wrong. She was treating Belkar as an experiment, not a person.

But that doesn't make it a joke. V's attitude to Belkar is no different from her attitude to most people (Roy and Haley are exceptions). It's the attitude that they are so far beneath her mental level that they aren't worth talking to or reasoning with. It's the attitude that leads ultimately to her failure in Azure City, subsequent breakdown and the Soul Splice. In other words, it's a central part of the plot, not a throwaway joke.

Gift Jeraff
2010-02-22, 04:57 PM
I think that Belkar's proto-brain has a set of check boxes rather than radio buttons. And there are more categories than V knows.

etc.

Makes sense, that way V can go under Hate and Lust.Belkar "wants to shtup" V according to DStP's cast page.

Petrocorus
2010-02-22, 05:12 PM

I totally second this.
We should try to go on with this with Belkar's sight of all other characters:

Roy.........[ ].... .... .........[ ]
Vaarsuvius..[ ].... ....[ ].........[ ]
Gerald Ford.[ ].... ....[ ].........[ ]
Hinjo.......[ ].... ....[ ].........[ ]
Tsukiko..... .... ....[ ].........[ ]
Xykon.......[ ].... ....[ ].........
Gortok......[ ]....[ ].... .........[ ]

Maybe we could had a fear category?

Degnared
2010-02-23, 01:24 PM

Except it would naturally be empty.

Sanguine
2010-02-23, 01:32 PM
I totally second this.
We should try to go on with this with Belkar's sight of all other characters:

Roy.........[ ].... .... .........[ ]
Vaarsuvius..[ ].... ....[ ].........[ ]
Gerald Ford.[ ].... ....[ ].........[ ]
Hinjo.......[ ].... ....[ ].........[ ]
Tsukiko..... .... ....[ ].........[ ]
Xykon.......[ ].... ....[ ].........
Gortok......[ ]....[ ].... .........[ ]

V should also have Lust as Don't Split the Party make that fact Canon.

MoleMage
2010-02-23, 01:40 PM
Except it would naturally be empty.

Even Belkar doesn't want to go toe to toe with Xykon.

Drolyt
2010-02-23, 01:40 PM

I forgot about that. I had a double take when I first saw that.

Cisturn
2010-02-24, 01:22 AM
damn I hate that Durkon doensn't fit into any of the categories, they given what they are I suppose it's a good thing.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-24, 05:14 AM
Okay, I imagine this must have been mentioned some time in the past but I don't know where. Vs theory was that Belkar's "brain" only has two modes for viewing another person: Hate and Lust. However, Belkar does care for Mr. Scruffy. Does this mean that Belkar lusts for that cat, cause that's just wrong.

Keep your friends close and you enemies closer. Belkar is just waiting for the right moment to strike down Mr. Scruffy.

Drolyt
2010-02-24, 05:56 AM
Keep your friends close and you enemies closer. Belkar is just waiting for the right moment to strike down Mr. Scruffy.

No! Mr. Scruffy is too awesome!

Dr.Epic
2010-02-24, 08:10 AM
No! Mr. Scruffy is too awesome!

Of course you'd say that person with cat avatar.

hamishspence
2010-02-24, 08:33 AM
Going by DStP, Mr Scruffy is the only being Belkar has truly formed a bond with.

He might Hate Miko, Lust for V, Respect Shojo- but Mr Scruffy is the closest thing he has to a "real friend".

Drolyt
2010-02-24, 09:04 AM
Of course you'd say that person with cat avatar.

Soon my cat minions shall rule the earth, and you shall receive your due punishment for your blasphemy!

Going by DStP, Mr Scruffy is the only being Belkar has truly formed a bond with.

He might Hate Miko, Lust for V, Respect Shojo- but Mr Scruffy is the closest thing he has to a "real friend".
I agree. I don't think Belkar ever felt kindness towards another living thing before, going by the fact that his evil is measured in kilonazis. He was however in awe of Shojo, and I think that in part transferred over to Mr Scruffy. Besides that I think there is more to Mr Scruffy than meets the eye, I bet Shojo left him with the task of helping the Order of the Stick. Also Mr Scruffy is a cat. See here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlebwhmt6p47cy5), here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CutenessProximity), here (http://xkcd.com/231/), here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MegaNeko), and here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kittens). Even evil has standards after all, and even Belkar loves kitties.

hamishspence
2010-02-24, 10:14 AM
Don't know about awe, but respect, definitely.

DStP- "everyone else respected Shojo for what they thought he was, but only Belkar respected him for what he really was- a lying, cheating old coot who had a whole city dancing to his tune"

Petrocorus
2010-02-24, 10:45 AM
I'm started in maniac mode.
I begun to list this in XLS.
Here the first results:
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/2373/belkarsmind.jpg (http://img517.imageshack.us/i/belkarsmind.jpg/)

I added lust for Vaarsuvius, as it has been mentioned it was canon.

Feel free to help me with other character and Belkar's categorization on them.

Drolyt
2010-02-24, 10:53 AM
Don't know about awe, but respect, definitely.

DStP- "everyone else respected Shojo for what they thought he was, but only Belkar respected him for what he really was- a lying, cheating old coot who had a whole city dancing to his tune"

That's true, though Belkar respected him for what he was without giving a though to why he was that way. To quote Lord Shojo: "Everything I did, I did for my people." Shojo at the very least believed that what he was doing was right, and his intervention may yet prove to have been important to the saving of the world. After all if it weren't for him the Order of the Stick would never have learned that Xykon was still alive. Belkar respected Shojo for what he really was, but what Shojo really deserves respect for is not what people thought he was, or what he actually was, be what he was trying to be.

Drolyt
2010-02-24, 10:54 AM
I'm started in maniac mode.
I begun to list this in XLS.
Here the first results:
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/2373/belkarsmind.jpg (http://img517.imageshack.us/i/belkarsmind.jpg/)

I added lust for Vaarsuvius, as it has been mentioned it was canon.

Feel free to help me with other character and Belkar's categorization on them.

You know, you've convinced me that starting this thread was actually worth it. :)

Edit: I'm not sure that should be called canon. I have the book in front of me, and it also says that Banjo the Clown is a Deity. So either it's supposed to just be a joke or we shall soon see the epic battle between Banjo and the Snarl. Rather, that would awesome.

Petrocorus
2010-02-24, 11:06 AM
What about Lien?
Lust? Hate? Both?

Roland Itiative
2010-02-24, 11:10 AM
I have the book in front of me, and it also says that Banjo the Clown is a Deity.

Banjo is a deity... He even tries to smite Roy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0080.html)... It only happens that, apparently, divine power in ootsverse is proportional to how many mortals worship you...

megabyter5
2010-02-24, 11:16 AM
Tsukiko should have lust, hate, AND respect. His sort-of hatred towards her was only evidenced by throwing Mr. Scruffy at her, which he said he just wanted to do to "someone".

Drolyt
2010-02-24, 11:18 AM
Banjo is a deity... He even tries to smite Roy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0080.html)... It only happens that, apparently, divine power in ootsverse is proportional to how many mortals worship you...

Well then Elan needs to get to work. Banjo may be a clown puppet with a banjo, but I'm sure he'd do a better job than OotS's current pantheon.

Drolyt
2010-02-24, 11:20 AM
Tsukiko should have lust, hate, AND respect. His sort-of hatred towards her was only evidenced by throwing Mr. Scruffy at her, which he said he just wanted to do to "someone".

I would think he was more or less indifferent to Tsukiko, although lust should probably apply. Check out the thread where that guy is making a manga version of OotS to see why.

Petrocorus
2010-02-24, 11:39 AM

I would really want to know what would have happened if he had actually joined (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0137.html) the Northern Pantheon.

EDIT: I should really take care of my grammar and stop needing to edit twice a post for correcting it.

Drolyt
2010-02-24, 11:42 AM
I would really want to know what would have happened if he had actually joined (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0137.html) the Northern Pantheon

That depends, would Banjo gain sentience, or would he still be a puppet under Elan's control? In the former case I suppose Elan would be his high priest, in the latter Elan would still probably be a better deity than the current pantheon in spite of his incompetence, if only because for all his stupidities at least Elan knows that killing baby goblins is wrong.

Petrocorus
2010-02-24, 11:54 AM
That depends, would Banjo gain sentience, or would he still be a puppet under Elan's control? In the former case I suppose Elan would be his high priest, in the latter Elan would still probably be a better deity than the current pantheon in spite of his incompetence, if only because for all his stupidities at least Elan knows that killing baby goblins is wrong.

I think he would gain sentience and power proportionally to the number of worshippers. But being part of the Pantheon would probably help to gain worshippers. Elan would be the high priest, but Banjo's personality would surely very influenced by Elan's.

Anyway, yes, they would do a better job that the current deities, but is this difficult. Remember Thor is not even able to get a proper answer machine (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0007.html), nor to answer the phone and smite an evil God (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0040.html) in the same time. And, as you said, deciding what is really good seems far too much difficult for them.

Drolyt
2010-02-24, 12:04 PM
I forgot all about this. Not to spoil anything, but if anyone is still curious about why Mr. Scruffy follows Belkar check out comic 665b in No Cure For the Paladin Blues. It's also proof that there is more to Mr. Scruffy than meets the eye, he appears to understand common.

Asta Kask
2010-02-24, 12:17 PM
I think we need an Apathy column as well - applies if there are no entries in other columns. Lien is a paladin, so I'd say hate.

Drolyt
2010-02-24, 12:20 PM
I think we need an Apathy column as well - applies if there are no entries in other columns. Lien is a paladin, so I'd say hate.

Lien's definitely hate. Why apathy? What's wrong with indifferent? Do we really need to make Belkar into an emo kid?

Petrocorus
2010-02-24, 12:22 PM
Do we really need to make Belkar into an emo kid?

Belkar is surely a lot of things, but certainly not this!

I note hate for Lien. But what about Lust?

Other opinions on Respect for Tsukiko? I have 1 pro, 1 con.

Asta Kask
2010-02-24, 12:23 PM
Lien's definitely hate. Why apathy? What's wrong with indifferent? Do we really need to make Belkar into an emo kid?

I'm apathetic to what you want to call it.

:)

Ron Miel
2010-02-24, 12:50 PM

Apathy is indicated when no column is checked, as is the case for Durkon. No point in having a special column to indicate no other column. That's not how to use checkboxes.

Asta Kask
2010-02-24, 12:54 PM
Good, but that has to be made clear. Otherwise people will think Belkar's brain will simply malfunction upon gazing on Durkon.

Besides, I think it's fair to put Durkon in hate following this. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0683.html) The Belkster does not forgive.

hamishspence
2010-02-24, 01:02 PM
Hate might be a strong term. He's never enaged in the kind of prank work he did with V, for example.

"Dislike" might be closer, given the number of time's he's referred to Durkon by moderately insulting names.

It seems to go both ways- Dukon refers to him as a "horrible lil miscreant":

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0687.html

and his immediate reaction to discovering Belkar is out of jail is "Ye got Belkar released?" Have ye gone daft?"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0295.html

Drolyt
2010-02-24, 01:04 PM
Good, but that has to be made clear. Otherwise people will think Belkar's brain will simply malfunction upon gazing on Durkon.

Besides, I think it's fair to put Durkon in hate following this. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0683.html) The Belkster does not forgive.

I think it's pretty explicit that Belkar hates everyone in the Order of the Stick except Elan who amuses him. Also pretty much everyone else except Shojo and Mr. Scruffy. Even characters he lusts for he technically still hates.

Ron Miel
2010-02-24, 01:08 PM
I note hate for Lien. But what about Lust?

As far as I can recall, they only met briefly. I think this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0671.html)is their only actual meeting. So she is just a face in the crowd to Belkar, it's doubtful if he even remembers her. I'd put her down as inspiring no emotions at all.

hamishspence
2010-02-24, 01:15 PM
In bonus strip 665b, we see an extra reason for Belkar to hate Hinjo, besides him imposing the original sentence.

After Belkar returned, he stated explicitly that none of Belkar's time with The Resistance counts, for the purposes of giving him any extra time off his 1 year sentence.

Asta Kask
2010-02-24, 01:31 PM
As far as I can recall, they only met briefly. I think this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0671.html)is their only actual meeting. So she is just a face in the crowd to Belkar, it's doubtful if he even remembers her. I'd put her down as inspiring no emotions at all.

I think it's safe to assume Belkar hates paladins unless otherwise specified.

Petrocorus
2010-02-24, 01:35 PM

I think that Hate is his default emotion. And she's a paladin. But i can get her out of list for now.
Plus, how much time has passed between 672 and 673?

Who else is for renaming "Hate" in "Dislike"?

Who else is for noting "Hate/dislike" for Durkon?

Sanguine
2010-02-24, 01:44 PM
Who else is for renaming "Hate" in "Dislike"?
I am indifferent on the matter

Who else is for noting "Hate/dislike" for Durkon?
I am for this one though.

Asta Kask
2010-02-24, 02:05 PM
Shouldn't Windstrider have his own entry? And the Oracle?

Petrocorus
2010-02-24, 02:14 PM
Shouldn't Windstrider have his own entry? And the Oracle?

Added. With Hate for both.
Maybe Amusement for the Oracle?

BTW, Gothenburg is English for Göteborg?

Asta Kask
2010-02-24, 02:29 PM
BTW, Gothenburg is English for Göteborg?

Indeed. What is it in French?

Petrocorus
2010-02-24, 04:03 PM
Indeed. What is it in French?

We say Göteborg. But we surely pronounce it differently.
Something like Got-uh-borgg.

Been there once, a few days, long ago.

EDIT: Found the Swedish pronounciation on Wiki, we pronounce the 2 "o" like you pronounce the last one and the "e" like you.

Petrocorus
2010-02-25, 12:56 PM
Last edition:
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2373/belkarsmind.jpg (http://img38.imageshack.us/i/belkarsmind.jpg/)

Question:
Respect for Tsukiko?
Hate for Durkon?
Hate for Lien?

Drolyt
2010-02-25, 12:59 PM
Last edition:
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2373/belkarsmind.jpg (http://img38.imageshack.us/i/belkarsmind.jpg/)

Question:
Respect for Tsukiko?
Hate for Durkon?
Hate for Lien?

You mean latest edition? Anyways I don't think respect for Tsukiko. The other two are fine.

Petrocorus
2010-02-25, 01:08 PM
You mean latest edition?

Maybe, i don't really understand the difference?

Drolyt
2010-02-25, 01:12 PM
Maybe, i don't really understand the difference?

Latest means this is the most recent version. Last implies you will never make another one.

Petrocorus
2010-02-25, 01:18 PM
Latest means this is the most recent version. Last implies you will never make another one.

So, the latest one, in this case.
Same word in French, so i got used to say "last" in both case.

Zanaril
2010-02-25, 01:23 PM
Last edition:

Question:
Respect for Tsukiko?
Hate for Durkon?
Hate for Lien?

I think V should also have a tick in the amusement column. And I doubt he respects Tsukiko.

Otherwise, nice!

Petrocorus
2010-02-25, 01:26 PM
I think V should also have a tick in the amusement column.

Amusement for V?
Do you think to some particular event?

How many agree?

derfenrirwolv
2010-02-25, 01:35 PM
And I doubt he respects Tsukiko.

She's done hard time for crimes, is good at what she does, and offered belkar a job. That's pretty much everything he respects about people.

Gandariel
2010-02-25, 03:15 PM
lust for miko? sure??

and btw, you misspelled Windstriker ^^

Drolyt
2010-02-25, 03:24 PM
lust for miko? sure??

and btw, you misspelled Windstriker ^^

It's quite a plot point that Miko is supposed to be hot. That said I think Belkar hates Miko more than pretty much any other character.

Trixie
2010-02-25, 05:35 PM

No. That means V is an idiot and that joke grew stale years ago anyway.

Drolyt
2010-02-25, 06:41 PM
No. That means V is an idiot and that joke grew stale years ago anyway.

Okay, you're a bit behind on the rest of the thread, we've gone ahead and expanded Belkar's choices beyond lust and hate because of his character development.

Silverraptor
2010-02-25, 06:55 PM
That theroy was true at the time of it's first publication. However, Belkar has been educated to see things in a new light. The pre-photo brain has now evoled into him classifying people into more categories than his previous limitation.

Drolyt
2010-02-25, 06:57 PM
That theroy was true at the time of it's first publication. However, Belkar has been educated to see things in a new light. The pre-photo brain has now evoled into him classifying people into more categories than his previous limitation.

Precisely. Petrocorus is working on a new classification system.

Petrocorus
2010-02-25, 07:15 PM
Precisely. Petrocorus is working on a new classification system.

And i'm eager for advices.

New one:

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6117/belkarsmind2.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/i/belkarsmind2.jpg/)

Checked Hate for Durkon and Lien.

Still a draw for Respect for Tsukiko. 2 pros 2 cons.
Corrected Windstriker's name.

Now, what about MitD and Redcloak?
Other names?

Ron Miel
2010-02-25, 07:34 PM
I think that Belkar stoped hating V after V saved his life. V has tried to rekindle the hatred, but hasn't fully succeeded.

I don't think that he feel either hatred or amusement towards Xykon. Respect, yes I can see.

And I still think that he feels nothing at all towards Durkon.

Zea mays
2010-02-25, 07:43 PM
I'd put in another vote for amusement at V. Just look at Belkar's face (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0696.html) in the last panel.

Also I would suggest that not only was V's assessment of Belkar's mental processes overly simplified, he (or she) completely mistook the effect that repeated explosive pranks would have on the halfling. The rune tricks look to me to have been rather counter-productive to V's stated goal. :smallamused:

Drolyt
2010-02-25, 07:44 PM
I don't know that he has any particular feelings towards Redcloak, the MitD, or Xykon. It is made clear in Don't Split the Party that he is opposed to the forces of evil, though only because he's essentially the opposite of the IFCC: he wants to kill, and killing baddies is just as fun as killing goodies.

Lira
2010-02-25, 07:52 PM
Nice job on the chart, though:
(minor Don't Split the Party spoilers):
I saw that the chart about character relationships has been mentioned earlier, as proof that Belkar lusts after V. But it's also some proof of who he doesn't lust after. Since there are no "wants to shtup" lines from him to Haley or him to Tsukiko, we know that he doesn't lust after these characters.

Petrocorus
2010-02-25, 08:10 PM
Nice job on the chart, though:
(minor Don't Split the Party spoilers):
I saw that the chart about character relationships has been mentioned earlier, as proof that Belkar lusts after V. But it's also some proof of who he doesn't lust after. Since there are no "wants to shtup" lines from him to Haley or him to Tsukiko, we know that he doesn't lust after these characters.

According to V, he lusts for Haley (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0335.html).
I guess he lusts for every quite hot female, and Tsukiko seems to be hot.
I will look the strips of their fight tomorrow (it's 2 AM).

Lira
2010-02-25, 08:14 PM
According to V, he lusts for Haley (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0335.html).
Yeah, but the chart seems to me like it would be more accurate than V, since V doesn't really have any way to know who Belkar really lusts after.

Silverraptor
2010-02-25, 08:14 PM
I guess he lusts for every quite hot female, and Tsukiko seems to be hot.
I will look the strips of their fight tomorrow (it's 2 AM).

:belkar:: "Hey Tsukiko, on behalf of all the males here, thanks for wearing a short skirt and flying around. You've given us alot to think about". *Wham* *Click*

Petrocorus
2010-02-25, 08:19 PM
I tried to sum up the different votes:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/282/belkarsmindvote.jpg (http://img138.imageshack.us/i/belkarsmindvote.jpg/)

blunk
2010-02-25, 08:38 PM
Belkar's "brain" only has two modes for viewing another person: Hate and Lust. However, Belkar does care for Mr. Scruffy. Does this mean that Belkar lusts for that cat, cause that's just wrong.I find it incredible that in three pages of depressingly dorky discussion, no one has pointed out the fact that cats are not people.

Drolyt
2010-02-25, 08:39 PM
I find it incredible that in three pages of depressingly dorky discussion, no one has pointed out the fact that cats are not people.

CATS ARE PEOPLE! ROAR!
meow

multilis
2010-02-26, 12:31 AM
I find it incredible that in three pages of depressingly dorky discussion, no one has pointed out the fact that cats are not people.
And no one has pointed out that Mr. Scruffy obviously only *appears* to be a cat. ;-)

warrl
2010-03-03, 07:54 PM
Besides that I think there is more to Mr Scruffy than meets the eye, I bet Shojo left him with the task of helping the Order of the Stick.

I also think there is more to Mr. Scruffy than meets the eye. But if my guess is correct, the idea of Shojo leaving Mr. Scruffy with a task is smirk hard to snicker take BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA seriously.

(Of course that doesn't mean he won't help for his own reasons.)

warrl
2010-03-03, 08:02 PM

English isn't that simple.

"Last" can mean either or both of those.

"Latest" would simply mean most recent.

Drolyt
2010-03-03, 08:21 PM
English isn't that simple.

"Last" can mean either or both of those.

"Latest" would simply mean most recent.

True, but it wouldn't have made since in that context. To confuse things more last also sometimes means "the one before the current one". In fact usually if last refers to the latest one it's because the subject of the conversation is the next one.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-03, 09:29 PM
Soon my cat minions shall rule the earth, and you shall receive your due punishment for your blasphemy!

The Rabbit Revolution will crush your puny felines.

Acero
2010-03-03, 09:46 PM

Ya ever heard of a dog?

Drolyt
2010-03-03, 10:41 PM
Ya ever heard of a dog?

Ya ever heard of a tiger? Who said I only use housecats? Those are mainly for reconnaissance, the main fighters will be 5 tigers piloting 5 human shaped robots that merge into a tiger shaped robot to fight evil.

Petrocorus
2010-03-04, 01:28 AM
Will they be as awesome as this one (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Golden_tiger_1_-_Buffalo_Zoo.jpg)

Drolyt
2010-03-04, 10:17 AM
Will they be as awesome as this one (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Golden_tiger_1_-_Buffalo_Zoo.jpg)

Of course.

Asta Kask
2010-03-04, 10:31 AM
Ya ever heard of a dog?

Ya ever heard of a bear? (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/06/060613-cat-bear.html)

Drolyt
2010-03-04, 10:40 AM
Ya ever heard of a bear? (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/06/060613-cat-bear.html)

That is awesome incarnate.

Petrocorus
2010-03-04, 10:59 AM

This cat is AWESOME. Awesomely badass.

This cat is surely Samuel Jackson shapechanged. Or a high level catfolk druid.

Debatra
2010-03-08, 11:35 PM

Link or quote please, for the unenlightened?

Nimrod's Son
2010-03-08, 11:54 PM
Link or quote please, for the unenlightened?
The cast page is a "relationship diagram" thing with lines of different colours connecting the characters depending on their relationship to each other. And, uh, yeah, Belkar has a line showing that he wants to get jiggy with V.

Drolyt
2010-03-09, 11:49 AM
The cast page is a "relationship diagram" thing with lines of different colours connecting the characters depending on their relationship to each other. And, uh, yeah, Belkar has a line showing that he wants to get jiggy with V.

Specifically, it says that Belkar wants to "Shtup" V, which while an unusual bit of slang means pretty much what you think it means.