PDA

View Full Version : DnD 4.0 -> Megaman X Conversion

AtwasAwamps
2010-02-22, 11:40 AM
I know, this is crazy, but hear me out!

For the sake of helping my friends relive their glory days when we had a freeform RP I ran in the Megaman X universe, I have decided to have some fun and start to restructure 4.0 to create a way to mimic playing Megaman X style reploids. Right now I’m just playing fast and loose with my idea, but essentially these are going to be hybrid-ing templates I will add-on as we go, steadily refluffing abilities as they level. There’s going to be some heavy homebrewing going on, naturally, but I wanted to get started and toss some notes up here for me to think about. In addition, I’d love any input you folks have.

The general system chassis:

I will be dividing characters up into four types:

X-types: X-type Reploids are those based on the original X-Chassis body. They come equipped with standard body armor and a charging blaster. Many X-Types are potent ranged combatants or tacticians.
Roles Filled: Ranged Striker (Warlock, Ranger), Leader (Warlord, Cleric), Controller (Wizard)
Chassis Feature: Charging Buster – (Str/Int/Cha) – Choose Strength, Int, or Charisma at level one. Charging Buster is a recharge power that starts uncharged. It recharges on a six. If you choose to use your standard action to enhance your charge, the ability can then also recharge on a 4 and 5. If you use two standard actions to do so, your shot is immediately recharged.
Charged Shot: Charged Shot does 2W + 2x(Str/Int/Cha) to one enemy at range = your buster range. You cannot take a move action in the same turn you fire your charged shot.

Z-types: Bearing heavier armor, Z-types are closer in design to the famous reploid Zero. Most Z-Types wield close range weaponry and focus on taking an enemy down in close combat. They wear the heaviest armor of any of the reploid types, bar certain Custom-Forms.
Roles Filled: Defender (Swordmage, Fighter, Warden, Paladin), Melee Striker (Rogue, Ranger, Barbarian)
Chassis Feature: Combination Assault – (Str/Con/Dex) – Choose Strength/Con/Dex at level one. If you choose to use Combination Assault, you may not take a move action in that turn. Make a basic melee attack on your target. If the attack hits, resolve it as normal. Roll a d6. If you roll 1-3, your attack is over. If you roll 4-6, make another basic melee attack with a -2 to hit. Repeat this for every successful attack, with the -2 being cumulative with each attack.
Special: Combination Assault does not do extra damage on a critical hit, however, a critical hit still counts as an automatic successful attack.
Special: If you miss an attack during combination assault, the assault is over and you may not make another attack. Your opponent may make an opportunity attack against you in response to the miss.

New Types: New-era of reploids whose design is based on Axl, one of the primary forerunners of new type design. Newtypes are rarely built as solidly as Z-types and generally don’t have the specialized military programming of X-Types. Instead, they have a high amount of adaptability and the ability to deal with multiple situations with aplomb.
Roles Filled: Controller (Wizard, Sorceror, Invoker, Druid), Leader (Bard, Ranged Warlord, Cleric, Shaman)
Chassis Feature: Body Shift
Choose Int/Cha/Wis at level 1.
If you are hit with an attack whose keyword contains a damage type that it is possible to gain a resistance to, you may spend a healing surge to gain resistance 3+(Int/Cha/Wis) to that energy type until you take an extended rest. You can only have one of these resistances up at a time. If you choose to take another resistance instead, you give up your current resistance granted by this power. As long as you have this resistance, you may change any power you use to the type of energy you have resistance against and deal extra damage on all attacks of this energy type equal to your current resistance.

Custom-types: Custom-Type Reploids are built for specific purposes. Perhaps they are build as military Reploids (such as Storm Eagle, who commanded much of the original Reploid Air Force during the First Sigma War) or perhaps they are designed to manage certain facilities (Wire Sponge, for example). Many of them are built on a chassis resembling an animal that would be at home in the environment or with the task they were built to complete. Custom-Types come in all shapes and sizes and are often found in military positions.
Roles Filled: Any (Each individual is less versatile than an individual of another chassis)
Chassis Feature: Perfect Affinity – Upon creation, choose a damage type (Fire, Cold, Poison, etc.). You add damage to all attack powers equal to your Primary Stat Bonus + CharLevel/2 (min. 1) and all attack powers will have that element’s key word. You also gain vulnerability 5 to that damage type’s “opposed” damage type (Fire vs. Cold, Necrotic vs. Radiant, etc.).
Chassis Feature 2: Emergency Measures - At any level you would gain a Daily Power, choose a second Daily Power. Once per day, when you become bloodied, you may spend two healing surges to immediately activate one of your secondary daily powers as a free or immediate action.

Again, this is just a start to try and represent the different type of reploids I recall being in the game. Any thoughts?

erikun
2010-02-22, 03:38 PM
Your four types are only three. :smalltongue:

Other than that, it looks like there is some potential here. However, there is far, far too little information to base much of a decision at this time. A few questions immediately spring to mind.

- Are you going to Zero/ZX for inspiration on new models? Will there be a "Stealth Type" (Phantom) or a "Flight Type" (Harpuia)?

- Will the above be some kind of option, say through equipment ("swapping body types") or through power selection?

- Will there be a "Medic Type"?

- What are you considering to include for powers?

- How are healing surges being deal with/managed?

Other than that, recharge powers are, honestly, quite annoying. Not being able to roll a "6" will get quite frustrating, as will spending multiple turns doing nothing but Charging only to roll low and have nothing happen. The X-Types seem almost strikerish, so you might take a cue from the 4E strikers in appropriate abilities. I would think something like Minor Action - Charging Buster: Increase your charge level (maximum 3), upon a hit you may expect your charge levels to deal +1d6/charge level to one opponent. Feats could be used to increase the maximum, increase the speed of the charge, and increase the damage. It closely parallels the damage output of rangers and rogues.

If the Z-Type is supposed to be a defender, then they need some kind of defenderish abilities. Giving them a blade cascade-like ability doesn't keep anything close to them. Perhaps something which allows Marking an opponent, with attacking with an at-will if the mark attacks someone else, and charging (plus attack) if the mark moves away.

The A-Types look interesting, somewhat like the sorcerer. I don't think you'll find that resistance very useful - most 4E creatures have several different damage types - but freely swapping any attacks to the damage type and dealing extra damage is very nice.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-22, 03:43 PM
You're trying to convert 4e into Megaman x? :smalltongue: Sorry for the bad joke, I just couldn't resist.

Roderick_BR
2010-02-22, 07:48 PM
You ever played Megaman X Command Mission? It's a RPG version of MMX, that you can get good ideas from on how battle works (X's X-buster, for example, is a special attack that hits all enemies after every few rounds, effectively working as a Encounter Power, for example) and equipable itens/armors/weapons.

AtwasAwamps
2010-02-22, 07:53 PM
Oops! I did leave out the 4th type. I'll add that in a bit.

If you check the above post, you'll note that every type has a "Roles Filled" entry. My plan is to have the above "types" be roughly equivalent to "races". These are a framework on which to expand.

Each reploid, after being built at its base, will be given a programming load-out that narrows its role and tasks down. These load-outs will grant different stat bonuses and different class features, further defining each individual character.

IE: Someone would pick the Z-Type Chassis and then pick one of the following load-outs:

Guardian Programming
Skirmisher Programming
Stealth Programming
Soldier Programming

and then each of those would further define the type (Guardian = Defender, Stealth = Rogue-type, etc.)

Medic types, then, would be Programming Loadouts that featured repair-based abilities, which would substitute Majestic Word/Healing Word type powers.

There would, of course, be some overlap...You could have a New-Type with Sniper Programming and an X-Type with Sniper Programming and both would be similar to two characters with the same class, with slightly different takes (eg, racial bonuses/racial feats/so on).

Power-wise, I will most likely refluff existing powers and create combined power suites for each programming load out or something like that. I literally came up with this idea during a lunch break at the office, so we'll see where it goes from here.

Xallace
2010-02-22, 08:12 PM
I would suggest using a word other than "programming," since the whole point of the reploids is that (save infection) they have actual free will, since they're all based on X's schematics (except Zero). That's something of a nitpick, though.

Other than that, I so see potential here. I'm interested to see how you handle characters turning Maverick. A sliding scale of taint? Replacing alignment? Of course, you also have the anomaly in Zero-type robots that makes them more powerful when exposed that I assume you would keep around.

AtwasAwamps
2010-02-23, 10:26 AM
4th Chassis (Custom-Type) added. They’re either too weak (restricted to one element) or too strong (Emergency Measures). They’re mean to represent bosses, such as Chill Penguin, Flame Mammoth, and the lot. Is it sad that I can remember the X1 Maverick line-up near flawlessy but have no idea who the mavericks were in the last MMX game I played?

Regarding Programming:

Free-will and programming are not mutually exclusive. Despite having free will and in fact containing bio-organic parts and neural interfaces, reploids are still partially computers and as a result often do require some form of rudimentary programming. Zero didn’t train to use his beam saber…that was a programming suite. He did LEARN to master it, but that learning is built upon programming. The same is true with many of X’s upgrades. Hence, while I probably won’t use the word programming, it’s not exactly incorrect. Programming here refers to…if I may make a reference…the type of thing that they did in the Matrix. Neo didn’t lose free will because he knew kung fu, but he was definitely “programmed” in that manner.

Regarding Mavericks:

One of the strange things to realize over the course of the Sigma Wars is that the term Maverick is as much a political term as it is a legitimate concern for reploids. As seen with the Repliforce incident, the Maverick Hunter organization has branded uninfected Reploids as Mavericks before and one must assume they have done so since and previous to that incident.

Hence, there’s a few ways a character could “Go Maverick” in this situation. One (and the most obvious one) is the virus. If any PCs are affected by the Maverick Virus, fail the relevant saves, and do not seek treatment in time, then yes, I plan on using the Taint model, possibly combined with some sort of cribbed Sanity model to show the characters descent into the destructive state of a true Maverick. They will gain in power, but going too far will cause them to lose complete control. Other characters may be branded as “mavericks” purely because they are criminal or endanger the populace, though they may not be infected.

Xallace
2010-02-23, 01:12 PM
Regarding Programming:

Free-will and programming are not mutually exclusive. Despite having free will and in fact containing bio-organic parts and neural interfaces, reploids are still partially computers and as a result often do require some form of rudimentary programming. Zero didn’t train to use his beam saber…that was a programming suite. He did LEARN to master it, but that learning is built upon programming. The same is true with many of X’s upgrades. Hence, while I probably won’t use the word programming, it’s not exactly incorrect. Programming here refers to…if I may make a reference…the type of thing that they did in the Matrix. Neo didn’t lose free will because he knew kung fu, but he was definitely “programmed” in that manner.

Good point, I blanked on that interpretation. :smallredface:

Crossfiyah
2010-02-23, 08:59 PM
I beleive I saw that firing your charged burst is a full round action?

You do realize those no longer exist right? Also that it makes it horribly underpowered?

AtwasAwamps
2010-02-24, 09:41 AM
I beleive I saw that firing your charged burst is a full round action?

You do realize those no longer exist right? Also that it makes it horribly underpowered?

Whoops, I did forget about the full round thing. I'll change it to "You cannot take a move action on the turn you fire a charged burst."

It is underpowered, and there's a reason for that. X-types who choose a more strikerish load-out (EG: Class) will gain abilities that increase the speed of the charging and firing of their burst, as well as the ability to apply it to their attack powers.

The fact is, its a ranged attack power that can be used multiple times in a single encounter and does more damage than most ranged at will by a significant chunk. The ability to increase/guarantee its charge chance helps it be slightly more reliable. No, it's not great, but it's not intended to be. It's a racial ability, not a class feature.