PDA

View Full Version : animals as player races?

Shademan
2010-02-22, 02:31 PM
So I have recently watched the redwall series and was thinking about anthropomorphic animals as playable races.
So the question is: Do you know where I can find the stats etc etc on animal races? or if you have a link to any homebrewed...?

Mando Knight
2010-02-22, 02:35 PM
There are no Anthropomorphic Animal races. There is no such thing as an Anthropomorphic Bat, and if there were, it would make a terrible Druid.
[/blatant lies]

It's either Races of the Wild or Savage Species, I believe. Don't recall.

Volthawk
2010-02-22, 02:39 PM
Savage Species

Greenish
2010-02-22, 03:03 PM
So I have recently watched the redwall series…Wait, they have animated those?

hamishspence
2010-02-22, 03:05 PM
Yup: Redwall, Mattimeo, and I think possibly Martin The Warrior.

Fhaolan
2010-02-22, 03:26 PM
You might find this interesting. It's not what most people consider 'anthropomorphic' though. It's more in the line of Watership Down and Tailchaser's Song than Redwall.

http://skirmisher.cerizmo.com/items/93-the-noble-wild-pdf-download

the humanity
2010-02-22, 04:37 PM
you could simply make comparisons to the many existing races, like drow and normal elves could be rats and mice, in one way. after you make the tiny edits needed (+5 racial jump bonus for hares) you would have characters with the Redwall feel, but not a whole mess of weirdo racial qualities that aren't needed. remember, Brian Jacques based his characters on humans. they need to be more human than rodent to feel right.

Faleldir
2010-02-22, 05:04 PM
Just wait until 4.5e comes out, they will outnumber the Tolkien-inspired races.
Seriously. All three PHBs so far have a furry on the cover.

Shademan
2010-02-22, 05:11 PM
you could simply make comparisons to the many existing races, like drow and normal elves could be rats and mice, in one way. after you make the tiny edits needed (+5 racial jump bonus for hares) you would have characters with the Redwall feel, but not a whole mess of weirdo racial qualities that aren't needed. remember, Brian Jacques based his characters on humans. they need to be more human than rodent to feel right.

silence you heretic! 4e will never drive me from 3.5. :smalltongue:
seriously though, you might have a very good point. minor refluffing is often the best way to go. but I was not actually thinking of a animals-only world, but rather animals and humans (and elves orks etc) living side by side.
If you have ever read Tellos? no? wouldnt surprise me, kinda obscure comic. really great though.

Mando Knight
2010-02-22, 06:17 PM
Wait, they have animated those?

Oh, yes. I remember that. They aired at least Redwall on PBS a decade or so ago...

tahu88810
2010-02-22, 07:05 PM
minor refluffing is often the best way to go. but I was not actually thinking of a animals-only world, but rather animals

haha that's punny

Touchy
2010-02-22, 09:28 PM
Just wait until 4.5e comes out, they will outnumber the Tolkien-inspired races.
Seriously. All three PHBs so far have a furry on the cover.

Shifter is debatable, they have no clear over-sexualization, though the dragon boobs were a bit much for the dragonborn, I'm not sure if they were trying to appeal, make it easier to guess, or both.

I'm either for easier to guess or both, since the shardmind and their CRYSTAL BOOBS COME TO MIND. :smallfurious:

Dyllan
2010-02-22, 11:04 PM
So I have recently watched the redwall series and was thinking about anthropomorphic animals as playable races.
So the question is: Do you know where I can find the stats etc etc on animal races? or if you have a link to any homebrewed...?

Watched? Watched?

The cartoons are crap compared to the novels. Go READ the Redwall series, then we'll talk...

Also, I have no practical suggestions to add. :-)

the humanity
2010-02-23, 12:54 AM
silence you heretic! 4e will never drive me from 3.5. :smalltongue:
seriously though, you might have a very good point. minor refluffing is often the best way to go. but I was not actually thinking of a animals-only world, but rather animals and humans (and elves orks etc) living side by side.
If you have ever read Tellos? no? wouldnt surprise me, kinda obscure comic. really great though.

I play 3.5 too o_0

4th is lame, with exception to the youtube commercials... /3rd party jabs

if you go that way, then first- minimize, so that you aren't making every Redwall race. there are mice, shrews, badgers, hares, ferrets, rats, cats, weasels and lizards, off the top of my head- all you really need are maybe weasels, mice, rats, hares, shrews, and ferrets. maybe badgers.

bosssmiley
2010-02-23, 07:20 AM
"Treat as Halfling." Job done.

Totally Guy
2010-02-23, 07:35 AM
You could make the Mouse Guard system fight that Swedish Penguin rpg. But that's only mice and penguins...

SpikeFightwicky
2010-02-23, 08:10 AM
d20 Modern has the 'Moreau' (based off of the hybrids in The Island of Dr. Moreau). I believe they have rules on how to make them based off of any animal. I don't have access to my book, though, and it's not SRD, so I can't elaborate...

Eldariel
2010-02-23, 10:27 AM
You could make the Mouse Guard system fight that Swedish Penguin rpg. But that's only mice and penguins...

That's Finnish Penguin RPG. Don't you dare attribute the few things we have going on for us to the Swedes!

Zom B
2010-02-23, 10:47 AM
all you really need are maybe weasels, mice, rats, hares, shrews, and ferrets. maybe badgers.

Badgers? We don't need no stinkin' badgers!

Totally Guy
2010-02-23, 10:55 AM
That's Finnish Penguin RPG. Don't you dare attribute the few things we have going on for us to the Swedes!

Sorry, I thought I had a reason for remembering it that way... but I must have been mistaken.

the humanity
2010-02-23, 11:41 AM
Badgers? We don't need no stinkin' badgers!

puns aside, playing a 18th level badger barbarian appeals greatly to me.

nothing will stop him!!!!!!!:smallbiggrin: